[Variety] Good Sunday - Running Man 런닝맨

One other episode that stood out for me was when the sports stars came. I don't recall the episode number. But, YJS said something like (from what I understood) that "he expects everybody to make an effort".

Do you recall who the guests were?

Yeah i also taught that they maybe arent making that munch money international, also alot of us including myself watch it illegaly..But i remember seeing a post on koreaboo about how the fan meeting of RM was as big like a concert of a big idol group.. i dont know how much they are making in asia, but just looking at the budget of episode 270.. they did that just for 1 episode :\.. its ridiculous.. SBS must be making alot of money some sort of way?

i agree about Gary's contribution. very little. very random. yes, i think he made it clear his music is more important, hence the mini album move. he is clearly using RM for marketing.

female idol that's not a princess? but who? Uee? They might be able to get Yunho more often, LOL. like a Hyori younger version? Or a Yejin younger version? 

I cant think of any good person that would fit as a 8th member (bad idea :P) and a cast change for RM in my eyes also wouldnt work.. its these 7 members that make RM and not the other way around..  i just hope they shuffle the teams more and give us new pairings and lets hope the ratings bounce up again :D

The event organizer pays royalty to SBS. It's a one-time event so... not much but it's a marketing tool. i heard that in the last fan meet where all the members were present, the producers got all the brands members were endorsing to sponsor so it's actually the event organizer that made a lot of money.  

SBS is probably still making money, at the very least, breaking even. Cha Tae Hyun once talked about it... i will try to recall on what program where he mentioned it. He was talking about 1N2D low ratings when he came on board and they were getting beaten bad by Running Man. how many years were they down? 2? 3? and He said KJK spoke with him about the low ratings of RM and CTH said something like as long as the the station can support your talent fee, they'll keep you becasue RM is the flagship program so just keep on trying. 

If there is an 8th member, i'd like it to be Song Joongki

The event organizer pays royalty to SBS. It's a one-time event so... not much but it's a marketing tool. i heard that in the last fan meet where all the members were present, the producers got all the brands members were endorsing to sponsor so it's actually the event organizer that made a lot of money.  

Lol, yeah i didnt mean that they were making money with the event.. was just using it as an example of how populair RM is.. so it must still air on tv there..

SBS is probably still making money, at the very least, breaking even. Cha Tae Hyun once talked about it... i will try to recall on what program where he mentioned it. He was talking about 1N2D low ratings when he came on board and they were getting beaten bad by Running Man. how many years were they down? 2? 3? and He said KJK spoke with him about the low ratings of RM and CTH said something like as long as the the station can support your talent fee, they'll keep you becasue RM is the flagship program so just keep on trying. 

If there is an 8th member, i'd like it to be Song Joongki

Song joonki really didnt add much to be honest.. :P

First of all they lack ideas nowadays plus a sort of bad editing, they are focusing more on bringing up guests. 

RM without guests is still the best for me.

I think it will not be bad if they will now bring back their past game concepts since they are already at 273, many people enjoy their early episodes, other shows retain some of their in demand episodes and they managed to stay in competition.

Episodes that I want to be back that I enjoy
1. Running man ball episodes with punishments
2. Games with Hide and Seek game at the end
3. Going overseas like in China, Thailand, Macau, etc.

I see no problem with the casts, no one needs to go. Running Man is not Running Man without them, but I really think that taking out some and bringing up some wouldn't solve this problem. 

I really miss their PD and FD Dong wan's appearances, seems that they are making a fresh episodes but it turns out to be boring for many people. 
If they want to compete with Return of Superman and King of Mask Singer, they will really need to put more effort, putting the show in this timeslot is like a suicide.

• Like 1

oh how cruel. LOL 

maybe he would have been a good match to Lee Kwang Soo. Maybe, it's just my attachment to the original cast. 

Although I do want Song Joong Ki to come as a proper guest, I think too much time has passed for him to return as a fixed cast member. I also wished for Lizzy to come to Running Man, even as a guest. Lee Kwang Soo always mentioned those two in his acceptance speech for variety awards.

After watching the latest episode and the rantings on this forum, I decided to reminisce the earlier episode and i chose episode 8. And i was laughing my balls off if i had balls. And maybe that is why we enjoyed the early episodes their interaction were mixed with an awkwardness that was charming. The dissing felt real even the teasing. Because We know they are very close like family now, LKS picking on KJK just does not cut it. They are good exercise buddies off screen. And the early period like first 10 episodes, most of their guests were kpop idols! Maybe that explains the popularity and why it exploded very well in Asia and later the west. I believe it is not SJH or KG or KJK is not participating, it is YJS is extremely popular in Korea and they will edit to give him more screen time and Haha is YJS protégé so he is just ad libbing from him and LKS and JSJ popularity started in RM especially overseas so they need this day job. Even the other running man members have dissed the PD for his favouritism to YJS. even if you watch infinity challenge or happy together, the emphasis is always on YJS. He is the mainstay of most program he is on. And as for song ji hyo not putting in enough for variety, i think that is the beauty of running man, we have the comedians, the mc, the old idols, actors and actresses, but when we watch running man, they can be themselves.take episode 8, victoria of fx did an aegyo cheer for her team and when  ji hyo's member demand her to do a cheer, it was so awkward they told her to stop. Jihyo just dont do cute. So that is why they tried to intro Lizzy. Lee kwang so was a rookie maknae  who is gawky and old looking which they look out for in the early days. They must have advised him alot on changing his image overtime to become what he is today, betrayer giraffe. I also enjoyed the early punishment episode but maybe it is too cruel to be entertained on other peoples suffering so the pd decided to reward them instead. Everyone will have their opinions, wecould be watching the same show but our interpretation wil be very different. So hope everyone just enjoy the show aslong as they are able and willing to do such a difficult and physically demanding show for our viewing pleasure week after week. Even some guests who came on realise how tiring it is and regretted coming on the show. Some guests enjoy the games so much they return again and again. Let's enjoy together and support your RM bias whoever it is but without putting down another precious member who might be dear to soem one else.

• Like 2

@klent: It is Episode 257. It is during the opening. Let me know what you think about YJS's comment. As I don't speak Korean, it could also be the translation. But I understood him to mean that the members should pull their socks up.

@klent: It is Episode 257. It is during the opening. Let me know what you think about YJS's comment. As I don't speak Korean, it could also be the translation. But I understood him to mean that the members should pull their socks up.

He said "재미업내" which is boring. He said if you make today boring, I won't forgive you". 

He PROBABLY said it because the partners they had were athletes, therefore, competitive. Maybe he means it. Maybe it was just a joke or may be it was half of both. He didn't say "work hard" though. he said don't make it boring which, in Running Man sense as we all know, is about comedy and crazy moments. 

And the early period like first 10 episodes, most of their guests were kpop idols! Maybe that explains the popularity and why it exploded very well in Asia and later the west.

The first 20 episodes of RM had very low rating... they crawled up all the way to 40th episode. then started picking up

I believe it is not SJH or KG or KJK is not participating, it is YJS is extremely popular in Korea and they will edit to give him more screen time and Haha is YJS protégé so he is just ad libbing from him and LKS and JSJ popularity started in RM especially overseas so they need this day job. Even the other running man members have dissed the PD for his favouritism to YJS. even if you watch infinity challenge or happy together, the emphasis is always on YJS. He is the mainstay of most program he is on. 

This is an honest to goodness questions... I am not antagonzing... 

Does this mean that RM is willing to sacrifice ratings (and of course sponsorships) just to favor YJS? So, even the if the show sucks now (and i has been sucking for some time), it's still okay as long as YJS remains the center?

I will not discuss IC and Happy Together as the moderator already give strict orders to talk about RM only. 

Lee kwang so was a rookie maknae  who is gawky and old looking which they look out for in the early days. They must have advised him alot on changing his image overtime to become what he is today, betrayer giraffe.

It was KJK who helped Lee Kwang Soo primarily in molding his character. YJS just made sure he gets "the opportunity" but it was KJK that helped LKS. LKS said that in one his interviews. From the ugly maknae to a fighting maknae (he bullies KJK just as much as KJK bullies him nowadays), he did it through KJK's help. However, the PD said it was Kwangsoo himself who developed his characters and KJK simply assisted LKS. KJK, in effect, became Kwangsoo's wingman. i am pretty sure those interviews are still on Youtube or tumblr or somewhere. 

Edited by klent

It was KJK who helped Lee Kwang Soo primarily in molding his character. YJS just made sure he gets "the opportunity" but it was KJK that helped LKS. LKS said that in one his interviews. From the ugly maknae to a fighting maknae (he bullies KJK just as much as KJK bullies him nowadays), he did it through KJK's help. However, the PD said it was Kwangsoo himself who developed his characters and KJK simply assisted LKS. KJK, in effect, became Kwangsoo's wingman. i am pretty sure those interviews are still on Youtube or tumblr or somewhere. 

Before my character [giraffe] developed, there were a lot of people who weren't happy seeing me get bullied by Kim Jong Kook. We both knew that viewers viewed it unfavourably, but Jong Kook hyung continued to bully me on the show.

He continued, “I know well why Jong Kook hyung continued to bully me on the show. He wanted to give me a character and wanted me to have something to do on the program. Even though he knew he was being criticized for it, he continued to bully me. That's the reason why I now have the giraffe character.

Lastly, Lee Kwang Soo commented, “Although I have never told hyung about this, I really want to tell him how thankful I am.

I can hardly believe that it’s only been two years since Lee Kwang Soo started variety. He learns things very quickly. He’s also the youngest, so he gets a lot of love on the set because he treats his hyungs so well. The members are all playful with him and that shows up in the final product. He is also good at thinking outside the box, and acts as a sort of spice to the program. He has never been on a variety show before, but he shows remarkable growth. It was a good decision choosing him.Cho Hyo Jin PD, January 2013.

Edited by wizzard

Before my character [giraffe] developed, there were a lot of people who weren't happy seeing me get bullied by Kim Jong Kook. We both knew that viewers viewed it unfavourably, but Jong Kook hyung continued to bully me on the show.

He continued, “I know well why Jong Kook hyung continued to bully me on the show. He wanted to give me a character and wanted me to have something to do on the program. Even though he knew he was being criticized for it, he continued to bully me. That's the reason why I now have the giraffe character.

Lastly, Lee Kwang Soo commented, “Although I have never told hyung about this, I really want to tell him how thankful I am.

I can hardly believe that it’s only been two years since Lee Kwang Soo started variety. He learns things very quickly. He’s also the youngest, so he gets a lot of love on the set because he treats his hyungs so well. The members are all playful with him and that shows up in the final product. He is also good at thinking outside the box, and acts as a sort of spice to the program. He has never been on a variety show before, but he shows remarkable growth. It was a good decision choosing him.Cho Hyo Jin PD, January 2013.

there's one from 2014... right before Cho PD left the show. he discussed the members one by one and expounded more on how the members develop their characters. he said something about the members know each other so well that they can predict how another will react if they do one thing. and the PDs have an easier time because of that. 

@klent .... In episode 183, the fortune telling one, one of the guest whose husband is a director. She called him for one of thr segment, during the conversation, YJS humbly asked the director to looked on LKS who is their maknae and up and coming actor! If that is not looking out for him than i dont know what is. Furthermore, Gary almost quit the show but YJS talked him out of him and tried to make him as comfortable as possible as Gary was torn between doing variety and music. during healing camp, he felt he had sold out by being in a variety show which his hardcore fans objected to. I do wonder if you are a running man fan. You keep throwing ratings as a end all and be all that this show has lived it's usefulness and should have its demise. Their fan meets overseas are no joke. But if they are not popular in korea than maybe there is no point. for the moment there is no variety show like running man in nature and as long as they are bringing in the bacon, the shareholders wont complain right. Anyways i will just continue to talk about running man episodes, that is what brought me here. You can throw all your ratings and analysis nobody really care, cos at the end of the day, the show must go on until it ends and when it does, all this debate and discussion dont mean a thing.

@klent .... In episode 183, the fortune telling one, one of the guest whose husband is a director. She called him for one of thr segment, during the conversation, YJS humbly asked the director to looked on LKS who is their maknae and up and coming actor! If that is not looking out for him than i dont know what is. Furthermore, Gary almost quit the show but YJS talked him out of him and tried to make him as comfortable as possible as Gary was torn between doing variety and music. during healing camp, he felt he had sold out by being in a variety show which his hardcore fans objected to. I do wonder if you are a running man fan. You keep throwing ratings as a end all and be all that this show has lived it's usefulness and should have its demise. Their fan meets overseas are no joke. But if they are not popular in korea than maybe there is no point. for the moment there is no variety show like running man in nature and as long as they are bringing in the bacon, the shareholders wont complain right. Anyways i will just continue to talk about running man episodes, that is what brought me here. You can throw all your ratings and analysis nobody really care, cos at the end of the day, the show must go on until it ends and when it does, all this debate and discussion dont mean a thing.

i have no doubt YJS looks out for Lee Kwang Soo... as he does all the members of RM. I commented on who molded LKS' character (because you said "They must have advised him alot on changing his image overtime to become what he is today, betrayer giraffe.")  . LKS has repeatedly credited YJS as the center of the show and overall MC and "father". however, as the quote stated, in terms of molding his character, it was KJK. 

as of Gary, it was the PDs that spoke to Gary. As per Cho PD, they didn't really "talk Gary out of leaving the show" because Gary actually didn't want to. They just reassured Gary that they wanted him to stay and assured him that everything will be fine and that he (gary) will not damage the show. Both Gary and the PDs were consistent in that story. 

he mentioned Yoo Jae Suk teaching him another level of "hard work" in one of his songs. 

also Gary almost left Running Man not because he was torn between variety and music, it was because of the Infinity Challenge Super 7 scandal. Gil left IC. Gary left RM. both of them, returned to their respective shows (obviously). 

after the release of Gary's first full album, he acknowledged that he rebelled against his image as a variety star. Hence, the first mini album having so many explicit content. He never mentioned wanting to leave the show after the IC Super 7 scandal. In fact, even in his other music-related interviews, he always maintained that he wants to be with the show through the end. 

agree, there is no show like RM. yes, the fanmeets are always a success. 

however, my question was not related to your response. i also clarified that it was an honest to goodness question and not to meant to antagonize you. I asked:

Does this mean that RM is willing to sacrifice ratings (and of course sponsorships) just to favor YJS? So, even the if the show sucks now (and i has been sucking for some time), it's still okay as long as YJS remains the center? 

i asked that question because you said:

I believe it is not SJH or KG or KJK is not participating, it is YJS is extremely popular in Korea and they will edit to give him more screen time and Haha is YJS protégé so he is just ad libbing from him and LKS and JSJ popularity started in RM especially overseas so they need this day job. Even the other running man members have dissed the PD for his favouritism to YJS. even if you watch infinity challenge or happy together, the emphasis is always on YJS. He is the mainstay of most program he is on. 

• Like 1

Guest judojonghyun

@klent where can I find interviews of Gary where he discussed his mini album rebellion to his variety image ? If possible ones with English sub please. 

Thank you

@klent where can I find interviews of Gary where he discussed his mini album rebellion to his variety image ? If possible ones with English sub please. 

Thank you

Moderator already reminded us that it should be RM only discussion here. I will PM you 

I disagree. 

Yoo Jae Suk get the most screen time out of all the members not because he is ‘extremely popular’ but because he is the most entertaining member out of the seven. Even when he is alone he is more entertaining than the others.

If any of the members didn’t get much screen time, it is due to themselves didn’t do anything interesting worth broadcasting. Should they show 10 minutes of Song Ji Hyo sleeping in the car? Or 10 minutes of Peaceful Gary while the others were bickering? *Yawn*

Ha Ha didn’t get screen time just because he is a protégé of Yoo Jae Suk, rather because he works for it. Ha Ha isn’t the main host type, he’s more of the secondary host type. Look at the recent episodes 271 & 272, when he is actively supporting Yoo Jae Suk with titbits and trivias of the guests he invited. Also, ad-libbing also required skills and timing to say the correct thing at the correct time, and not depending on the scripts and cue cards, unlike a certain member who only say and do what the scripts and cue cards said without any improvisation at all.

• Like 4

Guest judojonghyun

I disagree. 

Yoo Jae Suk get the most screen time out of all the members not because he is ‘extremely popular’ but because he is the most entertaining member out of the seven. Even when he is alone he is more entertaining than the others.

If any of the members didn’t get much screen time, it is due to themselves didn’t do anything interesting worth broadcasting. Should they show 10 minutes of Song Ji Hyo sleeping in the car? Or 10 minutes of Peaceful Gary while the others were bickering? *Yawn*

Ha Ha didn’t get screen time just because he is a protégé of Yoo Jae Suk, rather because he works for it. Ha Ha isn’t the main host type, he’s more of the secondary host type. Look at the recent episodes 271 & 272, when he is actively supporting Yoo Jae Suk with titbits and trivias of the guests he invited. Also, ad-libbing also required skills and timing to say the correct thing at the correct time, and not depending on the scripts and cue cards, unlike a certain member who only say and do what the scripts and cue cards said without any improvisation at all.

HI agree with @wizzard. why would producers sacrifice  the show just  to favor YJS  ? they work for SBS not  YJS. tYJS had a  lot of hows in  the past that were cancelled because of  low ratings. YJS, just like everyone else, needs to work and prove himself. 

same for everyone in RM. They need to work hard and be funny to get screentime. Gary is lazy nowadays so he doesn't get a lot of screentime. Ji Hyo gets screentime when she is the lead in the episode of if Monday Couple moments are made. if not, she was never funny really. Sukjin does the same thing again and again- weak, betray, body gag. nothing new to show. KJK is nowhere to be found. 

no wonder is YJS, Haha and Kwangsoo that get the screentime.