Anime/Manga/Manhwa recommendations thread

Admin

anyone recommend me a good shoujo/suspense/mystery/horror manga? i just read arisa by natsumi ando annd it was :o!! i read some partner by miho obana and some mangas by her which have the same genre.. any other suggestion?

The only one I can think of from the top of my head is Please Save My Earth. It's 21 Volumes long but it's a beautiful manga. I looved it so much and it's very suspenseful and mysterious and sometimes can even be horrifying. And yes, it's shoujo! ^o^ So I definitely recommend it!

Some of Please Save My Earth was animated (not the whole story, just the first parts), maybe you would like to check that out first? =)

You know, I've been avoiding this manga for the longest time. The characters were overly cute and I always roll my eyes when I see these kinds of manga drawings---wow I sound so catty---but regardless of which, this manga has an unexpected turn just to let you know.

(Hinting: The end of volume 5)

Those who read it KNOWS what I'm talking about. You know what I'm talking about parkeun

You will be screaming "W.T.F" when you read it. The only thing that I disliked about the manga was this drastic moment in the comic book. It went from cute-cottoncandy-sparkling-unicorn...cuteness --- to something dark. It was crazy.

But I must admit, its not a total waste of time. Not the best manga, but I could see why so many people like it.

I agree w/ everything you said--that's how I reacted too. >< I loved it though. After I was done being a leetle p.o.'d ><

Guest meimei__KOUSEKI

i tried reading Kitchen Princess before, maybe i should have put out more effort into it since all the shoujo is turning me off. And it's not just because i do not like the art (her eyes make up like 40%+ of her face), but because if the initial premise... girl looking for special guy thing. i might read it again.

and since i like being spoiled, i did some research (google). and yeah, i guess i could also say that that part was sort of...random.

Guest tommylove<3

I'm back with a couple more reviews, lol. I have been watching way too much

shonen lately but it's too interesting...Anyways here you guys go:

Code Geass:

It's freaking amazing. From the characters to the storyline. Lelouch is epic, and not to mention hot. But basically you

get this guy who's given a power to help him reform the world. Expect something like Death Note in a way, because

I find that there is some similarities. Like too much power can corrupt someone, although I like Lelouch way better

than Light cause... just watch the ending of Code Geass, okay? You'll get my point. Besides the animation is good too

you have nothing to lose.

Katekyō Hitman Reborn!

I don't get what's so special about this anime? Lol. I skipped around a lot because it didn't really catch my attention but after the episodes got past 100 it started getting good. It's about this kid named Tsuna who's not really good at anything, and then one day he finds out he's the tenth generation boss of the mafia family, Vongolla. Pretty good, but nothing too extraordinary.

D.Gray Man

I watched the beginning episodes, it seems like it would be worth while... I can't get into though for some reason. So I'll try watching it again later, haha.

Time to watch some more, :ph34r:

I personally don't read a lot of manga AT ALL...... usually when I reply to this thread, I only recommend anime... so it means a lot when I say that everyone should read...

LIAR GAME!

No joke, it's one of the best (well one of the ONLY) manga I've read =O

If you prefer romance and high school fluff and comedy, then it's not for you.....

But I personally love romance, comedy and high school fluff too and this manga blew me away X__X

It's about a girl (who's really cute and honest and all that jazz) and she gets tricked into this game called the Liar Game. She befriends an ex-convict (who I LOVE ^O^ hehe* he really grows on you) and he helps her pass the rounds in the game. However, the game isn't about life and death, it's about money. At the beginning of each round, the company holding it, gives every participant $100M and you have to use it to make MORE money so you don't lose it. Because at the end of the game, you're forced to return the money they lent you (by any means necessary) and you get to keep any that you made (if any at all).

The genre is more psychological thriller and mystery (I thought it might be scary, but it's not ^^). However, there are hints of cute moments between the 2 main characters, and there's a few comedic parts =) It's a REALLY well written manga with at LEAST one plot twist per chapter and I read all 80+ chapters in 2 days =O= It's really smart and I feel so stupid while reading it but it really opens your eyes to issues like lying and deceit and trust =)

P.S. For people that care, the first few chapters were made into an 11 ep drama called Liar Game in 2007 haha ^^'' I watched it before reading it, and it's also REALLY addicting and very well adapted imo. The feel is similar to Death Note (although there's no death gods floating around) and Saw (the horror movie, because the game-head speaks to the participants through a video that looks like Jigsaw lol) altho it's not horror at all (not to me anyways). It's more of a thriller that keeps you on your toes lol

--xoxo.

TM

Guest tommylove<3

... I finished two more animes today, rofl. I think I have an addiction with shonen/seinen

at the moment. I know why though, because its so amazingly good.

Berserk

This show is kind of gory. I can handle anime violence/killing fine, I don't like cringe or anything. Its not even

that bad in Berserk, just a whole bunch of blood spewing. Don't expect it to be like Elfen Lied or anything.

I can't really give it the summary it deserves but its really good up until the ending. I reccomend picking up

the manga after though because I'm sure you won't be satisfied. C'mon there's a strong buff guy named Guts

as the main character xD

Hellsing OVA

I don't find the TV series to be close to the manga at all, so I suggest watching the OVA. It is so good.

There is vampires involved but don't expect anything cliche. It's a mature anime for sure. Not for people

who can't handle violence, because it's really violent. Its set in modern time and you have the most amazing

anti-hero Alucard. He carries a freaking custom ARM .454 pistol, it's huge.

I think I'll be going to watch Full Metal Alchemist now. Hahaha.

The only one I can think of from the top of my head is Please Save My Earth. It's 21 Volumes long but it's a beautiful manga. I looved it so much and it's very suspenseful and mysterious and sometimes can even be horrifying. And yes, it's shoujo! ^o^ So I definitely recommend it!

Some of Please Save My Earth was animated (not the whole story, just the first parts), maybe you would like to check that out first? =)

haha thanks, i already read the manga long ago and it was quite interesting :)

Can comeone recommend me an anime like Vampire Knight, please?

karin - "Seeing how these animes are both contain vampire, the theme of the animes is to break down the wall between humans and vampires. Both animes also involves school life and daily activities. There is some comedy and love interest involved in both animes so if you like Karin, you will like Vampire Knight..."

Tsukuyomi -MOON PHASE- "Both contain vampires, enough said. The art in these to animes is absolutly georgous. Good plots, secret loves, full Moons, and sexy vampires, are what makes these two animes so similar. Very unique."

ayashi no ceres - "These two great stories both offer supernatural, love-triangles and drama. VK is lighter, but has a somewhat similar mood to Ayashi..."

-myanimelist

im looking for a manga that goes like this:

i dont remember if it was a manga or manhwa, but i specifically remember there was this guy. he used to do kickboxing because he had a teacher/friend who taught him how, in thailand. he basically grew up under this guy's care. something happens, and he comes back to his homeland. i think it WAS a manhwa...gah, so long ago! anyhoo, he meets this girl, things happen, and she somehow convinces him to go back to thailand - or wherever it was - to kickbox. so, he does. and if i remember correctly, his teacher/friend is still alive. at the end of the story, you see him beside the beach (with the girl?).

so yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. anyone can help? i dont exactly know if this description helps at all, but if i remember, there wasn't many kickboxing manhwas/mangas out there. and the art was pretty decent/good too. and it was shoujo/romance too.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Guest meimei__KOUSEKI

anyone know any good yaoi manhwa? good art please... though i haven't read any manhwa that was poorly drawn...and i don't read manhwa a lot :X Like Totally Captivated... i mean sorta art-wise...

Guest CaramelSweetie

im looking for a manga that goes like this:

i dont remember if it was a manga or manhwa, but i specifically remember there was this guy. he used to do kickboxing because he had a teacher/friend who taught him how, in thailand. he basically grew up under this guy's care. something happens, and he comes back to his homeland. i think it WAS a manhwa...gah, so long ago! anyhoo, he meets this girl, things happen, and she somehow convinces him to go back to thailand - or wherever it was - to kickbox. so, he does. and if i remember correctly, his teacher/friend is still alive. at the end of the story, you see him beside the beach (with the girl?).

so yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. anyone can help? i dont exactly know if this description helps at all, but if i remember, there wasn't many kickboxing manhwas/mangas out there. and the art was pretty decent/good too. and it was shoujo/romance too.

pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

I've read that one, but dun remember the title name. :|

It was centred around muay thai right? I'll be on look out. xD

edit

found it! :DSugar Addiction should be what you are looking for. :)

Guest kissmaiazz89

anyone know any good yaoi manhwa? good art please... though i haven't read any manhwa that was poorly drawn...and i don't read manhwa a lot :X Like Totally Captivated... i mean sorta art-wise...

I really liked let dai and especially, the summit!!!<3

Guest meimei__KOUSEKI

I really liked let dai and especially, the summit!!!<3

I'm currently reading The Summit, and it's so good ^^

read/reading:

Demon Diary- Despite with only "hints" of BL, i got hooked nonetheless. Eclipse is very hot, and Raenef is very cute and amusing too. I love how they incorporate the staff (haha yes, the mangaka appears in some parts) which provides even more lulz xD

Totally Captivated- I cannot believe i've actually kept myself away from reading this manhwa before. Someone slap me, it's really good! There's enough action and BL to keep me hooked, which is why i read this all night till i realized it was morning already. I love Mookyul's character a lot, and it's not just because he's hot :X

The Summit- i'm still currently reading, but so far it's really good! I love how action is sort of gradually increasing and the main character's emotions are revealed.

if you know more BL manhwa titles, please do tell!

Guest eluphant

I personally don't read a lot of manga AT ALL...... usually when I reply to this thread, I only recommend anime... so it means a lot when I say that everyone should read...

LIAR GAME!

I second this. After I read your recommendation, I went ahead and started reading it. I found it very addicting. It's so well written to the point where everything makes sense and the calculations are all amazingly well explained. If anyone has read Death Note and is looking for a new manga that has that kind of suspense to it, I recommend The Liar Game.

On another note, I also recommend Ciel.

If you're into magic, or a big fan of Harry Potter, this is a good manhwa to read. The artwork is very beautiful and the plot is quite interesting.

Guest Han's_Desire

Can someone recommend me a manga with cute story line??

It'd be much appreciated if i would receive an answer ASAP.

I'm looking for some anime recommendations since i haven't watch anime for quite some time...

NO gundam/ metal/ robot stuffs/ sci-fi, no action shounen (like naruto), historical (or those kind in ancient times) and no BL...

I don't really like animes that are FULL comedy with no real plots although it's entertaining...

I like slice of life, shoujo, romance, detective, mystery, dark stories, psychological stuffs comedies and the drawing should be somehow not too cute as in lolita type =p i like animes with good plots, deep plots will be the best.

I'm liking fruit basket, honey and clover, bokura ga ita, detective conan, ghost hunt, The Mythical Detective Loki Ragnarok, black butler (Kuromini coopersuji) - very nice even though it've subtle BL.. a little, Ouran, Death Note, hana yori dango, hunter x hunter (the only action shounen i finished and liked), prince of tennis (eyecandies... though i skimmed through it), slam dunk (i dislike the drawing but good plot and have a lot of funny moments...)....

any recommendations? I know i'm picky...

Guest Jooliyah

Can someone recommend me a manga with cute story line??

It'd be much appreciated if i would receive an answer ASAP.

Ai no Tame ni

Ama Iro Omoi

Hana ni Arashi

Hanatsuki Hime

Kamisama Hajimema$hita (stupid censor =[ )

Penguin Revolution

Shounen Dolls

Shuu7

Special A

Venus Cappricio

I can think of more if you want, but that should suffice, haha.

any recommendations? I know i'm picky...

.Hack// Legend of the Twilight

Hakushaku to Yousei

DN Angel

La Corda d'Oro

Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles

xxxHolic

Hope you like =)

Guest CaramelSweetie

^

You can try reading Model. The story line is not similar to Bride of the Water God, but the art is very pretty! :D

Vampire Girl and Flower of Evil are other good reads as well.