Anime/Manga/Manhwa recommendations thread

Admin

An older anime that (Season 1 2006-  Season 2 2007) has always stayed with me is Saiunkoku monogatari. The anime is based on the novels by Sai Sukino. It is often refered to as a "Reverse harem" but I think it doesn't really do it much justice by leaving it there. 

Copied text from wiki:

Saiunkoku is a world of eight provinces or houses, each named after a different color.

Set in the fictional empire of Saiunkoku, the story centers on Shurei Hong (Kou), a descendant of a noble family that has fallen on hard times. Her father works as a librarian in the Imperial palace, a post which offers prestige and respect, but little compensation. Shurei teaches in the temple school and works odd jobs to make ends meet, but her dream is to pass the imperial examinations and take a post in government, a path forbidden to women.

The new Emperor, Ryuuki Shi, has gained a reputation for being uninterested in courtly matters and for flaunting his love for men. So the Emperor's Grand Adviser makes a startling offer for her to join the imperial household for six months as the young Emperor's consort and teach the Emperor to be a responsible ruler. She easily accepts the invitation as she will receive a reward of 500 gold coins if she succeeds. The mysterious Seiran, a young man who was adopted by her father, goes with her as Ryuuki's bodyguard. Entering the imperial palace revives Shuurei's dream of being a court official.

The story details the hardships of creating change, especially as a woman, Shurei's growing relationship with the Emperor and other members of the court, the intrigues of imperial politics, and her commitment to better herself and her country.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I don't watch a lot of anime these days but I recommend:

• IDOLiSH7
  • Mr. Love: Queen's Choice

If you're not into romance that much.

As for manga, I recommend:

• Love Me, Love Me Not
  • SPY x FAMILY

On 6/20/2020 at 1:43 PM, 000231846597 said:

This anime is fun! sadly the official youtube channel (w/ subs in multiple languages) halted the updates due to coronavirus. Cannot wait for it to return again!

I was happy you shared an official channel with English subs because I really want to watch the series then I find out it isn't available for me. :sad1:

• Love 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Vagabond by Takehito Inoue -  a Samurai (a genre I love, thanks to Kurosawa) manga about the swordsman Miyomito Musashi (a real life historical character), in fact, I accidentally happened to read Miyomito's strategic book (like sun tzu types) The Book of Five Rings, and I'm just loving the experience.

Gangsta by Koshke - an urban crime and mafia drama that digs deep and is extremely layered.

I'm a sucker for classical literature, so, any adaption into Anime gets me excited. I started watching Re Zero and soon realized that the screenplay is disjointed and dreamlike in the pattern similar to Shakespeare's A Midnight's Summer Dream. The more obvious connection is the character Puck in the anime which is a clear inspiration from Shakespeare's play with the same name. 

My Hero Academia by Horikoshi - excellent super hero Manga series.