Song Joong Ki 송중기 - [Upcoming Movie 2024] My Name Is Loh Kiwan

gm4queen

*** If the cast of a K-Drama includes Song Joong Ki, I noticed that the Korean public definitely watch it, and the dramas almost always turn out to be successful. It only means that Koreans trust him. That's why, the general public watch his dramas in SK. Koreans acknowledge his talent and versatility. Song JoongKi's current work is a Netflix film called "My Name is Loh Kiwan" and I hope that it will be another success.  :heart3:

song-joongki-1.jpg

*** "My Name is Loh Kiwan" is an enjoyable first-time watch — Song Joong-ki looks the plainest I've ever seen him — on this movie. We see Kiwan sleeping in a public restroom to keep warm and picking scraps from the trash in order to stay alive. Even the public toilet where he sleeps is clean. Mari’s character is the contrast to Kiwan’s. He’s honest and upright with few resources, while she’s a thief, morally questionable, and from an upper middle class family. There are enough good moments here to give this a watch — I'm glad Song Joong Ki found the project to show his talent again. There were some parts that were hard to watch as he has to endure many things but, Song Joong Ki did rather well in this movie. SJK did a great job of convincing me that he was absolutely starving. Loved the visuals and the sense of place. Happy to have watched it.   :ohboy2:

*** Song Joong Ki has shared his experiences and the insights he gained while filming for the Netflix movie 'My Name is Loh Kiwan' during a movie talk event that took place on the afternoon of March 3rd. During the event, the cast and the director engaged in a Q&A session with the audience who had watched the movie. When asked how he approached the pain and will to live of a character like Loh Kiwan, Song Joong-ki mentioned, "There's a scene etched in my mind. While preparing, I pondered over this, but I could only imagine since I hadn't experienced Kiwan's situation myself. Then, my North Korean language teacher shared their actual experiences and situations. They spoke about it calmly and with a smile, which made a deep impression on me. It was very sad. It was heartbreaking to hear them speak so calmly about such a grave situation. When acting in 'My Name is Loh Kiwan', I decided to adopt an approach where I wouldn't force myself to feel sad but rather, let go of the tension." An audience member mentioned a line from 'My Name is Loh Kiwan' that left a lasting impression, "Do we deserve to be happy?" Song Joong-ki responded, "I believe this movie has a strong connection. When I encountered this film, the phrase 'Do we deserve to be happy?' lingered with me. I requested the director to include this line. It felt like the movie wouldn't resolve if I didn't ask this. I think Kiwan wanted to hear from Marie that they deserved happiness. When Marie says, 'But we're complete,' Kiwan cries. It felt like hearing the words he wanted to hear would provide a resolution. I'm still not sure what qualifies one to be happy, but I'm certain that everyone deserves it, regardless of their status or position, simply because they are human. That's why we shouldn't treat others carelessly. I want to live teaching this to my baby born last year, something I felt through this movie." The event also included an activity where attendees wrote letters of comfort inspired by 'My Name is Loh Kiwan'. Song Joong-ki mentioned the letter-writing activity, saying, "I've done many GV sessions, but this was the most meaningful. Song Joong-ki has many flaws, but when this movie was first released on Netflix, I personally wrote a letter to a close brother who passed away last year at the end of the year," hinting at a story related to the late Lee Sun-kyun. Although it's not a grand movie, if it makes you feel something, I hope it serves as an opportunity to think about those around you. I wish this movie could be one where you can write a letter to someone, telling them they deserve to be happy." i watched the movie and I learned a lesson from it...I like how he questioned the happiness piece. I don't think I've ever seen Song Joong-ki like that before. It was gripping right to the end.   :kisslevel:

1709461562-ss.jpg

1709461605-0001698071-004-20240303173101

*** Song Joong Ki attended the VIP premiere of Netflix’s movie ‘Loh Ki Wan,’ accompanied by his wife, Katy Louise Saunders. Her beauty stood out. So Ji-sub and many other stars, were present. She quietly waited behind when Song Joong-ki was occupied with stage greetings. Previously, actor Jo Han-chul, who starred in ‘Loh Ki Wan’ with Song Joong-ki, revealed on a TV show that he received olive oil from Katy. This shows that Katy maintains good relationships with her husband’s colleagues. In fact, during the filming of ‘Loh Ki Wan’ in Hungary, I read that Katy invited fellow actors and staff to her house and treat them to meals. Most of the dialogue in the film is in Korean.  :Fist1:

source : https://news.nate.com/view/20240303n03077

[Herald Review] ‘My Name is Loh Kiwan’ a weak drama with soppy ending

20240303050139_0.jpg

Even the presence of Korean megastar Song Joong-ki in its titular role couldn’t sustain interest in director Kim Hee-jin’s “My Name is Loh Kiwan."

Song, who plays a North Korean defector for the first time in his 15-year career, referred to his acting in the film as "refreshing and satisfactory."

Despite the actor's confidence, however, the 133-minute movie based on the 2011 novel “I Met Loh Kiwan” by Cho Hae-jin, fails to portray the North Korean defector’s life as a meaningful human drama. Neither is it a well-written melodramatic story between Loh Ki-wan (Song) and Marie (Choi Sung-eun), but a film with a soppy finale.

In her feature film debut, director Kim's film depicts Loh's struggles in Belgium, showing him being beaten up on the street, sleeping in a public toilet and alleviating his hunger with a small pack of butter.

The film then suddenly jumps to an unexpected and uncomfortable encounter with Marie, a wayward, affluent young woman, at a launderette. Director Kim included this character to add a melodramatic flare to the movie, but the way the two meet and fall in love comes across as farfetched.

Choi Sung-eun in “My Name is Loh Kiwan” (Netflix)
Choi Sung-eun in “My Name is Loh Kiwan” (Netflix)

The banal, one-dimensional characterization of Marie is disappointing.

This Olympic markswoman-turned-drug addict wears fancy outfits and smokey eye makeup after the sudden loss of her mother, in what seems to be an act of rebellion. After meeting Loh, she goes out barefaced and wears simpler outfits.

The relationship development between Loh and Marie is also quite abrupt, and the movie does not explore how the two came to depend on each other amid life-threatening situations. It seems that director Kim was overly keen to connect the two characters, but overlooked stories building up to their relationship.

Towards the end of the film, things turn sour for the couple as Loh helps Marie escape the underworld lair where she is forced to do drugs and participate in illegal shooting competitions. But the end of Loh's dealing with the gangsters is boring, with hardly any tension or buildup. The movie finishes with the two reuniting in Madagascar as they bask in the sunlight.

Director Kim could have focused more on Loh's plight in Belgium where he is trapped in immigration limbo. Matters are easily resolved when Marie introduces Loh to a Korean lawyer there, who helps him prove that he is an authentic North Korean refugee.

The exotic backdrop of a European country is a distinctive element and the director put great effort into depicting a cold and dark Belgium to deliver Loh's life as a refugee. Despite the story’s setting in Belgium, the film was shot in Budapest, Hungary.

“My Name is Loh Kiwan” is streaming on Netflix.

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20240303050132

*** According to FlixPatrol, "My Name Is Loh Kiwan"  currently ranks in 8th place among movies on Netflix on its premiere weekend! (Note: the film is not yet available for a number of countries). Based on the data from FlixPatrol, the film is the 8th most popular movie on Netflix on March 3rd. "My Name Is Loh Kiwan" entered the top 10 daily popular content on the platform in over 20 countries: Bahrain, Bangladesh, Dominican Republic, Hong Kong, and more.   :emmm:

My-Name-Is-Loh-KiWan-Netflix-768x434-v2.

FlixPatrol-My-Name-Is-Loh-KiWan-Ranking.

FlixPatrol-My-Name-Is-Loh-KiWan-Countrie

*** On March 5th, announcer Lee Geum-hee posted a video featuring Song Joong-ki on her YouTube channel “My Geum-hee”.  Here, Song Joong-ki revealed his "doting father" side. When Lee Geum-hee congratulated him on his son’s birth, Song Joong-ki smiled and said, “Thank you. It’s been just over 8 months now.” To Lee Geum-hee’s comment “How cute must he be“, Song Joong-ki caused laughter by saying, “He’s driving me crazy.”   :heart2:

source : Kbizoom

*** The director of My Name is Loh Kiwan opened up about the intimate scene between Song Joong Ki and Choi Sung Eun. The movie is rated R and features intimate scenes between Kiwan and Marie. The director clarifies, “The initial script included even more explicit content. However, I aimed to incorporate the scene without disrupting the film’s flow. I believe the intimacy in the film feels balanced and well-integrated into the story.”   :happydance:

still_04-1536x1024.jpg

source : https://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=202403051147446710

Song Joong-ki delves into themes of guilt in 'My Name is Loh Kiwan'

By Woo Jae-yeon

SEOUL, March 6 (Yonhap) -- Seven years ago, actor Song Joong-ki turned down the casting offer for "My Name is Loh Kiwan" because he wasn't convinced about the plot at that time.

Years later, he changed his mind. Suddenly the storyline made perfect sense, he said.

"I thought it was a luxury for Kiwan to fall for someone at such a dire moment in his life. Personally, I would have been mired in guilt," the actor said during a group interview in Seoul on Wednesday.

When he was offered the role for the second time around, however, he could feel empathy for the character.

"I asked myself, 'What constitutes a good life?' Wouldn't it be best for a weak person to live well by associating and getting along with others? What I thought at that time may be different now," he said.

AEN20240306004600315_02_i_P4.jpg

The photo provided by Netflix on March 6, 2024, shows actor Song Joong-ki. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

Netflix's original Korean film "My Name is Loh Kiwan" follows the main protagonist, Kiwan (Song), as he precariously embarks on a journey to live life on his own terms. He tries to rediscover the meaning of life after encountering Marie (Choi Sung-eun), a woman who, like him, clings to the edge of despair after her mother's death. The two begin to form an unexpected emotional bond with each other and see hope even at their lowest points in life.

Song explained that the film explores themes of guilt, illustrated in a scene where the tearful Kiwan kneels down to wipe away the road soaked with his mother's blood.

"In that scene, I aimed to portray a person who feels suffocated by guilt, almost to the point of death," he said.

He eventually comes to terms with his mother's death and frees himself from guilt. Never once a quitter in his life, Kiwan perseveres to eventually find healing through his relationship with Marie.

A poster of "My Name is Loh Kiwan" is shown in this image provided by Netflix on March 6, 2024. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

A poster of "My Name is Loh Kiwan" is shown in this image provided by Netflix on March 6, 2024. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

In yet another crucial scene, Kiwan asks Marie if he deserves to be happy with her after all the things he thought he had done wrong, a line the actor actually suggested to the writer-director Kim Hee-jin.

"I thought Kiwan wanted to hear from the very person he loves so much that it is not your fault."

The illustrious actor has portrayed various characters in hit movies and TV series, such as "A Werewolf Boy" (2012), "Descendants of the Sun" (2016), "Vincenzo" (2022) and "Hopeless" (2023). Despite his extensive repertoire, the director previously mentioned that audiences could still discover new dimensions of his talent in this film.

During a press conference last week, she said Song possesses a visage that evokes a sense of melancholy while exhibiting a stern countenance that could prompt a recoil.

The actor said that he purposely tries to avoid repeating similar roles.

"I don't particularly have any roles that I want to play. But I always want to try different genres," he said. "I am into horror films these days."

"My Name is Loh Kiwan" was released Friday on the streaming platform.

A scene from "My Name is Loh Kiwan" is shown in this image provided by Netflix on March 6, 2024. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

A scene from "My Name is Loh Kiwan" is shown in this image provided by Netflix on March 6, 2024. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr
(END)

credit : Yonhap News

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20240306004600315?section=culture/entertainment

Song Joong Ki Shares Candid Thoughts About The Mixed Reactions To “My Name Is Loh Kiwan”

Song Joong Ki Shares Candid Thoughts About The Mixed Reactions To “My Name Is Loh Kiwan”

C

Actor Song Joong Ki has revealed how he feels about the mixed reactions to his recent film “My Name is Loh Kiwan.”

Based on Cho Haejin’s novel “I Met Loh Kiwan,” the film tells the love story of North Korean defector Loh Kiwan (played by Song Joong Ki) and professional shooter Marie (Choi Sung Eun).

On March 6, during an interview at a cafe in Seoul, Song Joong Ki talked about “My Name is Loh Kiwan” and the response it received. Regarding viewers’ mixed reactions to the romance aspect of the film, Song Joong Ki commented, “I completely understand. I initially rejected the role for that reason.”

He added, “However, after a while, even I was able to relate to the work and enter its story, despite my shortcomings. A movie is not a disposable cup that you throw away after watching it once. Even if you don’t find it interesting and can’t relate to it now, you may change your mind again as time goes by. I hope that’s the case, and I hope viewers look kindly on the movie. Of course, if opinions don’t change even after time has passed, that’s something I can’t control. It’s not something I can force.”

Song Joong Ki continued, “I like to hear [other people’s] opinions, whether good or bad. If I don’t hear them, I can’t learn.”

When asked if he has any regrets about the harsh reviews, he replied, “It’s natural to receive a variety of reviews. I accept them without regret.”

Song Joong Ki added, “I don’t think it’s something that can be easily graded, and it’s not easy for me to talk about my own work like this, but I want to give it a stamp of approval. Not necessarily ‘you did amazingly well,’ but at least a ‘you did well’ stamp.

It’s subjective, but it’s a work I personally love. From overseas filming locations to characters from diverse cultural backgrounds, and especially being the director’s debut, it wasn’t an easy production to film. Just being able to complete it feels like achieving half a success. That’s why I want to say, ‘You did well.'”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1646931wpp/song-joong-ki-shares-candid-thoughts-about-the-mixed-reactions-to-my-name-is-loh-kiwan

On 3/7/2024 at 11:01 AM, backstreetboysfan said:

Actor Song Joong Ki has revealed how he feels about the mixed reactions to his recent film “My Name is Loh Kiwan.”

Based on Cho Haejin’s novel “I Met Loh Kiwan,” the film tells the love story of North Korean defector Loh Kiwan (played by Song Joong Ki) and professional shooter Marie (Choi Sung Eun).

On March 6, during an interview at a cafe in Seoul, Song Joong Ki talked about “My Name is Loh Kiwan” and the response it received. Regarding viewers’ mixed reactions to the romance aspect of the film, Song Joong Ki commented, “I completely understand. I initially rejected the role for that reason.”

He added, “However, after a while, even I was able to relate to the work and enter its story, despite my shortcomings. A movie is not a disposable cup that you throw away after watching it once. Even if you don’t find it interesting and can’t relate to it now, you may change your mind again as time goes by. I hope that’s the case, and I hope viewers look kindly on the movie. Of course, if opinions don’t change even after time has passed, that’s something I can’t control. It’s not something I can force.”

Song Joong Ki continued, “I like to hear [other people’s] opinions, whether good or bad. If I don’t hear them, I can’t learn.”

When asked if he has any regrets about the harsh reviews, he replied, “It’s natural to receive a variety of reviews. I accept them without regret.”

Song Joong Ki added, “I don’t think it’s something that can be easily graded, and it’s not easy for me to talk about my own work like this, but I want to give it a stamp of approval. Not necessarily ‘you did amazingly well,’ but at least a ‘you did well’ stamp.

It’s subjective, but it’s a work I personally love. From overseas filming locations to characters from diverse cultural backgrounds, and especially being the director’s debut, it wasn’t an easy production to film. Just being able to complete it feels like achieving half a success. That’s why I want to say, ‘You did well.'”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1646931wpp/song-joong-ki-shares-candid-thoughts-about-the-mixed-reactions-to-my-name-is-loh-kiwan

@backstreetboysfan  yes, he had turned down the offer for the movie 7 years ago because he couldn't undertand with Kiwan's choice at that time. He also thought he wasn't good enough as an actor to act something that he can't empathize with. However, he noted that upon revisiting the script, he found himself understanding it better. He said that some details changed in the script. This is where he found himself empathizing with him.   :heart1:

• Like 1

*** Song Joong Ki and the director discussed the intimate scenes in 'My Name is Loh Kiwan'. Following the film's release, there have been critiques about the added love story between Kiwan and Marie, not found in the original novel. Song Joongki said, "I didn't feel pressured at all. It seemed like Sungeun didn't feel pressured either. Even with the initial script's explicit content, there's no pressure. What mattered was the emotions those two shared."   :emmm:

source : Gstarlive

*** Choi Sung Eun shared her experience working with Song Joong Ki on Netflix film My Name Is Loh Ki Wan. In an interview, Choi Sung Eun revealed a surprising detail about her interactions with Song Joong Ki. “Before this film, I never called an older or more experienced actor by ‘oppa’,” she admitted. “Even with Ji Chang Wook, I called him ‘sunbae’ out of respect. I guess I’m not one to drop formalities easily.” (They worked together with Ji Chang Wook in "Sound of Magic") However, things were different with Song Joong Ki. “For My Name Is Loh Ki Wan, creating a natural connection felt crucial,” Choi explained. “Thankfully, Song Joong Ki told me to relax and encouraged me not to call him ‘sunbae’ during our first meeting.” “Dropping the formalities definitely helped us bond faster,” she added. Choi Sung Eun also praised Song Joong Ki’s personality and professionalism. “He’s incredibly considerate,” she said. “He always goes the extra mile to make his co-stars feel comfortable, and his positive energy keeps the set lively.” “Working with him was a learning experience,” Choi continued. “He’s passionate, dedicated, and always open to feedback. He’s also incredibly humble.” “I’m incredibly grateful for this opportunity,” Choi concluded. “Song Joong Ki is not just a phenomenal actor, but a genuinely kind person. I learned so much from him.”   :coolshades:

source : https://www.xportsnews.com/article/1831879

*** In the morning of March 6, Song Joong Ki had a press interview to speak about his new movie 'My Name Is Loh Kiwan' at one coffee shop in Samcheong-dong, Seoul. Here, Song Joong Ki expressed his hope for his son's privacy. He did display his worries regarding his son's privacy saying, "Given my profession, however, I do feel a weight of responsibility when it comes to shielding my child from too much exposure. I'm cautious about revealing every aspect of our lives. I understand that some level of exposure is inevitable though. I don't know how our image might be perceived that way, but... As for the attention, it's something I've come to accept without feeling overwhelmed."   :blush:

201903223_700.webp

source : SBS Star

*** On March 5, announcer Lee Keum-hee shared a video titled, 'Song Joong Ki on the Production Presentation of 'My Name Is Loh Kiwan' feat. Lee Keum-hee' on her YouTube channel.  The film 'My Name Is Loh Kiwan' had its production presentation on February 27, hosted by Lee Keum-hee. Here, Song Joong Ki excitedly shared how adorable his eight-month-old son is. In the video, Lee Keum-hee was chatting with Song Joong Ki backstage before the event started. Song Joong Ki greeted Lee Keum-hee, saying, "Thank you so much for coming today. I've been wanting to meet you." As Lee Keum-hee congratulated Song Joong Ki on the birth of his son, he replied with a grin, "Thank you. He's now eight months old." When Lee Keum-hee commented, "I bet he's adorable, isn't he?", Song Joong Ki replied, "It's crazy how cute he is!", and burst into joyful laughter.   :ohboy2:

201902778_700.webp

source : SBS Star

10 most anticipated K-contents to watch this March 2024!

We are now at the third month of the year and guess what? More K-contents await us mga bes!

Here is the list of the Korean film and dramas to watch this March.

1. My Name is Loh Kiwan

GGYC9nyWoAAwqS7.jpg?resize=640%2C948&ssl

Image source: netflixkcontent

Starring: Song Joong Ki and Choi Sung Eun

Released Date: March 1, 2024

Synopsis: A film that depicts the story of Loh Kiwan, a North Korean defector who tries to get a new life as a refugee in Belgium. His path crosses with Marie, a former shooting athlete who is struggling in life. With the same scars of their past, they get to know each other and fall in love.

Streaming Platform: Netflix

source : https://annyeongoppa.com/2024/03/09/10-most-anticipated-k-contents-to-watch-this-march-2024/

*** Also, during the morning of March 6 of Song Joong Ki's exclusive interview with Newsen newspaper to promote his new work My Name Is Loh Kiwan., here, he shared many stories about his wife Katy Louise Saunders and their 8-month-old son. During an interaction with Korean reporters, he  revealed for the first time about the time his wife was pregnant: “When Katy was pregnant, she was always by my side throughout the filming of My Name.” It’s Loh Kiwan. The film crew also felt comfortable and familiar with her. At that time, I had very little free time because I focused on filming and taking care of my pregnant wife.” Katy Louise Saunders made dinner for her husband to take to the movie set and this was revealed by the movie director. Song Joong Ki expressed concern, saying "When my son was born, I thought to myself ‘I wish the baby’s pictures wouldn’t be made public’ and felt pressured. I couldn’t publish everything related to personal life because it is privacy. Up to now, I am worried and cautious every time I mention my son.” In addition, Katy Louise Saunders also revealed to everyone that she wants her children to live in Korea, not in England. She wants her child to be close to her father and grandparents and live in Korean culture.   :Twerkdatbutt:

Song-joong-ki-wife_katy-louise-saunders-

photos source : Lovekpop95

*** Song Joong-ki was spotted at a recent FC Seoul soccer match in Seoul World Cup Stadium in Mapo-gu, Seoul on March 10th. He appeared on the soccer field in a casual outfit with a blue hat and a black hoodie. Although he was dressed modestly, people still recognized him and said he was very handsome.   :ohboy2:

[Herald Interview] Song Joong-ki crafts his own kind of North Korean defector in 'My Name is Loh Kiwan'

20240307050904_0.jpg

Song Joong-ki, whose Netflix original film "My Name is Loh Kiwan” ranked 3rd on Netflix's non-English chart this week, said he was hesitant to play the character of North Korean defector Loh Ki-wan when he first received the script for the movie seven years ago.

“I initially turned down the offer to play Loh Ki-wan seven years ago, because Ki-wan and Marie’s love affair didn't resonate with me. I told the production company that I didn’t think it was right for me to do it when I could not empathize with the character," Song told reporters during an interview in Seoul on Wednesday.

“I thought love for Ki-wan was like a luxury. He arrived in another country by selling his dead mother’s body. He is a refugee who must survive, like the man in ‘The Reverent,’” he added.

Song went on to shoot “The Battleship Island” (2017), and it was in the summer of 2022, just as the shooting of “Reborn Rich” (2022) was nearing its end, that he was again approached with the script.

“I got a call from someone at Netflix to go over the script again. Then I thought okay, maybe it’s a good thing that Netflix picked up this project because it has its niche energy and a certain mood (in its storylines),” he said.

While the overall story hadn't changed from seven years ago, Song said some details had been changed, including several aspects of Marie's character and personality. Quoting director Kim Hee-jin's words to him, Song said Ki-wan became more “hot-minded,” with a more passionate and determined nature.

“I’m sure that there is a gap in the way I looked at Ki-wan and the way the director had written him. In the process of bridging the gap, Ki-wan became a more passionate person who desperately wants to find a reason to be happy,” he said.

Song added that an extra scene was created after discussions with director Kim. In that scene, Ki-wan, in bed with Marie, contemplates his right to be happy and wants to find a justifiable reason to stay in a warm, safe place.

“I appreciate how director Kim listened to what I said and because she is also a good writer, she is very skilled in writing lines that reflect the character’s feelings,” he said.

“My Name is Loh Kiwan” (Netflix)
“My Name is Loh Kiwan” (Netflix)

Seeking to strike a balance between filming for movies and dramas, Song said that his next project will be a drama, one preferably related to horror -- a genre the actor has become more interested in lately. Song recently released two films in a row -- “Hopeless” and “My Name is Loh Kiwan.”

“Because dramas and movies bring me two different types of joy in acting, I now want to do a drama as my next project.

But because I want an experience different genres, horror is on my to-do list. That’s why I’m excited for the latest box office hit ‘Exhuma,’ which I knew would have a good reception here,” Song said.

“My Name is Loh Kiwan” is currently available on Netflix.

credit : Korea Herald

https://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20240307050888