Jang Dong Gun 장동건

Admin

Top 3 K-Dramas To Have On Your Watchlist This June

2- “Arthdal Chronicles”

kdramas watchlist, june dramas

When: From June 1

Cast: Song JoongKi, Kim JiWon, Jang DongGun, Kim OkVin

Summary: It tells the stories of various heroes writing different legends of the mystical and ancient country of Arthdal.

Why watch?: Along with “Vagabond“, “Arthdal Chronicles” is the drama with the most expectations in the international community this year. Expectations are high! There are various reasons why this drama is at the center of attention. Not only it has a solid cast and original plot, but it also has a huge budget promising a high-quality drama (for more detail, check 4 Reasons To Watch Upcoming “Arthdal Chronicles”).

(skipped unrelated.....)

source : https://www.kpopmap.com/top-3-kdramas-to-have-on-your-watchlist-this-june/

For more information, poster, teaser you can check our cast and summary here.

*** His upcoming drama, which is the 18-episode series, will hit the small screen this week on Saturday and air every Saturday and Sunday, with the final six episodes to separately go on the air in the latter half of this year. This is reportedly the biggest budget of some 40 billion won (US$33.7 million) for any Korean TV series this year. The series has been frequently compared to the globally sensational American fantasy drama series "Game of Thrones".  :P

AEN20190528007700315_02_i_P4.jpg

Actors Song Joong-ki (L) and Jang Dong-gun pose for photos during a press conference for "Arthdal Chronicles" on May 28, 2019. (Yonhap)

Cast, producer nervous, excited ahead of 'Arthdal Chronicles' premiere

optimize

The four stars of the tvN drama "Arthdal Chronicles" during the press event Tuesday at the Imperial Palace Seoul. Courtesy of tvN

By Dong Sun-hwa

Mixed expectations precede the June 1 premiere of cable channel tvN's fantasy drama "Arthdal Chronicles."

Producer Kim Won-seok was antsy when he met the press Tuesday with the star-studded cast at the Imperial Palace Seoul.

"We do not expect compliments just because we worked hard, but the cast and crew believed Korea should have a drama like this," he said. "Please evaluate the drama after watching at least the first two episodes."

The 18-episode big-budget series, which revolves around the birth of the first civilization "Arthdal" on the fabled continent "Arth," has been one of the most anticipated TV dramas this year thanks to its unique setting and cast members ― Song Joong-ki, Jang Dong-gun, Kim Ji-won and Kim Ok-vin.

The actors wear "tribal" makeup and animal skins to recreate the ancient times. Most scenes required computer-generated imagery (CGI) and special effects to create an imaginary world that has a sense of reality.

The actors and crew admitted they were nervous and excited at the same time.

f44c4409810a46f9b570d37f07a73cb0.jpg

Song Joong-ki and Jang Dong-gun pose during the press event Tuesday at the Imperial Palace Seoul. Courtesy of tvN

"'Arthdal Chronicles' is probably the most challenging drama for me," Song said. "I needed courage to star in the work but I thought I should walk out of the comfort zone as an actor. I also trusted the writers and the producer who I previously teamed with."

Song has the role of "Eun-seom," a cursed child who later takes control of Arthdal.

"I was pressured to appear in the masterpiece, but I could rely on Jang," he said.

Jang plays "Ta-gon," an ambitious war hero and the rival of Eun-seom, who desires to become the first monarch of the imaginary continent.

"Ta-gon is a three-dimensional figure who crosses the line between good and evil," Jang said. "I desired to take this role and was thrilled to read the scripts."

Kim Ji-won plays "Tan-ya," an unblessed woman who becomes the kingdom's first female politician.

"I was enthralled by the character that never gives up," Kim said. "If not now, I thought I would not have another opportunity in the future to appear on a TV series like this."

Park Sang-yeon, one of the two screenwriters, said: "We wrote the drama based on the belief 'nothing is original.' Therefore we attempted to return to the past when there was neither monarch nor civilization.

"I have been good at predicting the ratings, but this time I cannot even take a guess. I just hope the soap opera can rock."

"Arthdal Chronicles" premieres at 9 p.m. (local time) on June 1.

credit : Korea Times

*** The drama is being split into 3-parts including a simulcast on Netflix. It's full of star power. I'm keeping my fingers-crossed when the drama drops this week.  :P

arthdal chronicles releases highlights trailer

20190528_2010185422145393317397064.jpg?w

clip/photo credit : https://breathlesssurvival.wordpress.com/2019/05/28/arthdal-chronicles-releases-highlights-trailer/

May 30, 2019

‘Arthdal Chronicles’ is a big-budget fantasy epic: Set in ancient Korean history, humans and other races strive for power

29201827.jpg

From left, Kim Ji-won, Song Joong-ki and Jang Dong-gun star in the highly-anticipated epic fantasy drama “Arthdal Chronicles.” The tvN drama, set to air starting this Saturday, is a story depicting the birth of civilization in the mythical land of Arth. [TVN]

“Arthdal Chronicles,” the epic fantasy drama on tvN that’s been highly anticipated, will finally air its first episode this Saturday.

In the lead-up to its start, the series has been described as the Korean “Game of Thrones.” Its star-studded cast is set to transform into mythical heroes who struggle for power, protect their tribes and try their hand at state building for the first time in the ancient land of Arth.

With an estimated 3 billion won ($2.53 million) budget per episode, the producers have invested a lot into making sure their new drama is a hit. A large chunk of filming took place in Brunei’s lush forests, setting the scene in simpler times before civilization began. Massive production costs are believed to have been spent on computer graphics to create the fantastical elements.

The cast includes some of the most in-demand actors in Korea today. Song Joong-ki, star of “Descendants of the Sun” (2016) and “A Werewolf Boy” (2012), plays Eunseom, a protagonist with superhuman strength who’s ready to fight for his Wahan tribe. Veteran actor Jang Dong-gun, star of “Taegukgi: The Brotherhood of War” (2004), takes on the role of Eunseom’s nemesis Tagon, a charismatic yet dangerous warrior whose troops brutally attack the Wahan. Kim Ji-won, who also starred in “Descendants of the Sun,” plays Tanya, Eunseom’s love interest and prophet, while Kim Ok-vin, from “Thirst” (2009), plays the beautiful and power-hungry Taealha, whose political ambitions lead her to join forces with Tagon.

According to tvN, “Arthdal Chronicles” will be the first ever K-drama to be set in antiquity. The series takes place during the Bronze Age and is loosely based on the story of Dangun, the legendary king who is said to be the founder of the first Korean kingdom of Gojoseon (2333 B.C.-108 B.C.).

Screenwriters Kim Young-hyun and Park Sang-yeon are not new to period dramas, having previously worked together on the Joseon-era (1392-1910) drama “Deep Rooted Tree” (2011) and “Queen Seondeok” (2009). Director Kim Won-seok also co-produced the historical romance drama “Sungkyunkwan Scandal” (2010).

According to Kim Young-hyun, the idea of tackling this underexplored time period came from reading anthropology books.

“After I finished with ‘Deep Rooted Tree,’ a lot of lectures and books on anthropology like ‘Sapiens’ came out. I was fascinated with the rite of passage of one primitive tribe,” Kim said during a press briefing ahead of the drama’s premier on Tuesday. “So many animals have subspecies, but only the Homo sapiens sapiens have survived among humans. Have the other subspecies been gotten rid of? Is that right? The drama will talk about accepting diversity.”

In fact, friction between the different humanoid subspecies is at the crux of the drama. Eunseom, the son of a human and a “Noeantal,” battle against Tagon, a human who took part in a large-scale massacre of Noeantals. Although “Arthdal Chronicles” is supposed to be a fantasy drama, producers said they tried to maintain some historical accuracy by sticking to the types of weaponry, tools and other details that were around at the time.

As the drama spins a universal tale about the rise of mankind and civilization, producers and actors expressed hopes that “Arthdal Chronicles” will appeal to viewers around the world, not just in Korea.

“After Bong Joon-ho’s ‘Parasite’ win at Cannes, I read articles from foreign newspapers that said the story could have taken place anywhere, despite it being a Korean film,” said Song Joong-ki. “I think foreign viewers will be able to empathize with us as well.”

Getting used to a whole new universe and its different systems and cultures might be overwhelming at first, the actors admitted, but they said viewers just need to give it a chance.

“There might be confusion due to the different vocabulary we use, but I think the audience will start getting into the series after watching the second episode,” said Jang Dong-gun.

“Arthdal Chronicles” is set to air 18 episodes. Although there are currently no plans for a second season, producers said the possibility has not been ruled out and it depends on the audience reception.

Perhaps due to its high profile, “Arthdal Chronicles” has already faced controversy. Last month, the Hanbit Media Labor Rights Center and the broadcasting staff at Hope Solidarity Labor Union reported Studio Dragon, tvN’s sister company and CJ ENM’s drama production arm, to the Seoul Employment and Labor Administration for violating labor laws. According to accusations, the show’s production team was forced to work non-stop in Brunei for over 150 hours a week and producers tried to cover up an accident that left an employee with a broken arm, forcing staff into “murderous” conditions that “seriously threatened their bodies and health.” When a question about the accusations came up in the press conference, the emcee immediately shot it down.

“Arthdal Chronicles” will air every Saturday and Sunday at 9 p.m. from June 1 on tvN. The show will also air globally on Netflix.

BY KIM EUN-JIN [kim.eunjin1@joongang.co.kr]

*** 'I heard that Arthdal Chronicles' will be wrapping up filming for all 3 seasons of the series today, May 30. As far as I remember filming for this drama began in September last year, after 9 long months. 'Arthdal Chronicles' premieres on tvN this June 1 at 9 PM KST. I'm actually looking forward to this drama. I hope this drama is worth watching. :P

*** I’m happy that “Arthdal Chronicles” has a good start for their pilot EP on June 1.  There was an increase in viewership for its second broadcast on June 2. According to Nielsen Korea, the second episode of the drama scored an average rating of 7.3 percent nationwide, marking a slight rise from its ratings from the night before. I hope it will still increase as the EP progresses. Can't wait to find how the story unfolds and the characters develop. For those who don't have Netflix you can watch it on streaming via Kissasian.:P

*** Good Data Corporation released their weekly ratings of the most buzzworthy dramas and cast members. tvN’s newest weekend drama “Arthdal Chronicles,” which premiered on June 1, became this week’s most buzzworthy drama. The results are from the company’s analysis of 26 dramas that aired or are scheduled to air from May 27 to June 2. :P

Check out the top 10 TV dramas this week:

1. tvN “Arthdal Chronicles” – 26.74 percent
2. tvN “Her Private Life” – 11.98 percent
3. MBC “One Spring Night” – 9.95 percent
4. OCN “Voice 3” – 5.35 percent
5. JTBC “The Wind Blows” – 5.27 percent
6. MBC “Special Labor Inspector, Mr. Jo” – 4.9 percent
7. KBS2 “Angel’s Last Mission: Love” – 4.58 percent
8. tvN “Abyss” – 3.8 percent
9. SBS “Nokdu Flower” – 3.57 percent
10. KBS2 “Left-Handed Wife” – 3.16 percent

Most-buzzworthy-dramas.png

Check out the top 10 drama cast members this week:

1. Song Joong Ki (“Arthdal Chronicles”)
2. Jung Hae In (“One Spring Night”)
3. Han Ji Min (“One Spring Night”)
4. Park Min Young (“Her Private Life”)
5. Kim Jae Wook (“Her Private Life”)
6. Kim Ha Neul (“The Wind Blows”)
7. Kam Woo Sung (“The Wind Blows”)
8. Jang Dong Gun (“Arthdal Chronicles”)
9. Kim Ji Won (“Arthdal Chronicles”)

most-buzzworthy-actors.png

Source (1) / soompi news

*** I read that that the drama's production has already arranged over sixty collaboration deals with various companies to make branded products. These products would be unveiled on June 10th. The branded products include USB drivers, portable cell-phone attached fans, transit cards, and secondary batteries, among others. The offer is similar to another promotion based on the second season of the variety competition show 'Producers 101'.  :P

3 Things We Loved & 3 Things We Hated About The Premiere Of “Arthdal Chronicles”

331cf65a86044869994e5d7e24d2ff07.jpeg?s=

I never thought this day would come, but Song Joong Ki is back on the small screen.

And I can hardly contain myself.

To be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of historical K-dramas, even though this one is not really a sageuk. I obviously gave this one a chance because a) it’s Song Joong Ki b) tvN airs some of the best K-dramas, and c) there was a lot of hype leading up to the premiere.

So here’s a look at three things we loved and three things we hated about the premiere of “Arthdal Chronicles.”

Warning: Minor spoilers for episodes 1 and 2.

1. LOVED: The amazing cast

arthdal-chronicles1.jpg

This definitely goes without saying. With Song Joong Ki, Jang Dong Gun, Kim Ji Won, and Kim Ok Bin as the main cast, you know you’re going to get a quality series. I had read up absolutely nothing about the series prior to, so I really didn’t know what to expect, but it was fun to learn about how all the characters came to be.

First, there’s Song Joong Ki as Eun Seom and Kim Ji Won as Tanya.

Then there’s Jang Dong Gun as Tagon and Kim Ok Bin as Taealha. Jang Dong Gun is a war hero and leader of the Saenyeok Tribe. His one goal is to be the King of Arthdal and is willing to kill anyone in his way in order to achieve this goal.

jang-dong-gun.jpg

I suspect Tagon and Eun Seom will go head to head later on in the series!

Spoiler

2. HATED: The beginning

Hated is a strong word, but the beginning was a bit tough to get through. It could be because this drama is different from the quick pace of a K-drama rom-com, but the beginning of this particular series requires a lot of attention and following along of all the characters. I found myself having to rewind certain parts to make sure not to miss certain details. I knew paying attention was important because it would bite me in the butt if I didn’t know who these characters were in the second episode.

Also, it took a whole hour and 18 minutes for Song Joong Ki to make an appearance in the series, but it was totally worth it.

You get him in pretty much every scene for the rest of the premiere, so it’s all good.

3. HATED: Tagon

Jang Dong Gun’s character Tagon is absolutely loathsome. He strives for power and his only wish is to relinquish any other tribe that is not his own. At the beginning of the series, his younger self is played by ONE, who most recently played the heartthrob idol Cha Si An in “Her Private Life.” Although his character in this series is vastly different from his previous, the role as Tagon in “Arthdal Chronicles” suits him SO well. His beauty and charm fit the role of a powerful ruler.

Despite Jang Dong Gun being more of the antagonist in the series, he’s got so much charm that he really captivates the screen.

And even though Song Joong Ki is charismatic, you can really tell the years of experience Jang Dong Gun has over Song Joong Ki with just his presence on screen.

jang-dong-gun.gif

4. LOVED: The production value

What. A. Production.

This series is built just like a movie. There really hasn’t been a K-drama quite like this in terms of setting and cinematography. To be honest, it brings to mind “Game of Thrones” with its castles and nature-esque setting as well as a lot of what Neverland from Peter Pan would look like – minus the castles – with all the greenery, vines, and clear water.

5. LOVED: The romance part of the story

he story of Tanya (Kim Ji Won) and Eun Seom really is endearing and charming. Eun Seom and Tanya first meet when Eun Seom’s mother carries him to the Wahan tribes village. His mother passes away and the tribe takes him in. Eun Seom and Tanya end up growing up together and although Eun Seom gets into a lot of trouble, Tanya is always defending him.

The two obviously have feelings for each other, but their banter and teasing is just like that of best friends. It’s adorable seeing them flirt and sneak longing looks at each other!

6. HATED: The attack on the Wahan tribe

The Wahan tribe are preparing for their moon festival where Tanya is to showcase her people’s special dance. Just as the festival is about to begin, the Wahan tribe gets attacked by the Saenyeok tribe. Because the Wahan people do not have weapons, they are unable to defend themselves and most of them are left for dead or captured as prisoners.

I had a feeling everything was going too smoothly. There had to be some sort of conflict and cliffhanger about to happen. It just sucked seeing the innocent and helpless villagers being attacked and killed, especially the children. And although Eun Seom attempts to rescue them, there are just too many men to have to fight so he comes out defeated.

Although he isn’t successful this time, we all know who our inevitable hero and knight in shining armor is going to be, right?

I also enjoyed the story of Kanmoreu and how he’s supposedly a mythical horse that can outrun all the other horses. I’m looking forward to seeing Eun Seom rescue the Wahan people alongside Kanmoreu!

(skipped unrelated.....)

credit : soompi news

Spoiler

*** Last night,, June 9, I read that the fourth episode of “Arthdal Chronicles” achieved the fantasy drama’s highest viewership ratings so far. According to Nielsen Korea, the latest broadcast scored an average rating of 7.7 percent nationwide, marking a significant increase of 1.3 percent from the previous night. :P

‘Arthdal’ producers to answer press

Following controversy surrounding the newly-released tvN drama series “Arthdal Chronicles,” the channel announced on Thursday that it will take questions from local reporters via email after failing to properly answer questions before the show made its premiere.

Thursday’s decision came after local media criticized the network for leaving a series of questions about the show unanswered, mainly regarding the show’s mistreatment of its production staff, plagiarism issues and a lack of quality.

It was reported in May that the production staff was required to work up to 150 hours a week while the show was in production, while viewers have pointed out that the show took its overall theme and plot from the U.S. drama series “Game of Thrones.”

When local media asked questions to the directors and actors regarding the issues at a press conference in May, the event’s M.C. cut in, asking them to not ask “irrelevant questions.”

By Yoon So-yeon

credit : JoongAngDaily

After weak start, 'Arthdal Chronicles' has mixed viewership prospects

SEOUL, June 8 (Yonhap) -- Having underperformed given its star-studded cast and huge budget, the blockbuster fantasy series "Arthdal Chronicles" is the subject of mixed views on whether it can rebound in the second week of its run.

The new weekend drama aired by cable channel tvN is about people living in the ancient city of Arthdal in a mythical land called Arth and their power struggles for the throne of the first nation founded on the continent.

Its all-star cast, including movie stars Jang Dong-gun and Song Joong-ki, and its huge production budget, reportedly 40 billion won (US$33.7 million), had attracted high expectations among Korean drama fans at home and abroad.

PCM20190607000021005_P4.jpg

But its beginning was disappointing, with viewership ratings hitting 6.7 percent for the first episode, broadcast Saturday, and 7.3 percent for the second episode the next day.

These are lower than tvN's previous big-budget historical series, "Mr. Sunshine," aired last year and starring Lee Byung-hun and Kim Tae-ri, which got viewership figures of 8.9 percent and 9.7 percent for the first and second episodes, respectively.

TV audiences point out that various characters, settings and costumes of "Arthdal Chronicles" look similar to those in the U.S. series "Game of Thrones" and other popular fantasy movies and dramas, including the 2006 adventure movie "Apocalypto."

The computer-generated imagery and props used in some scenes were criticized for being clumsy given its big-budget and stellar cast, and its plot was said to be lame and formulaic.

As a result, the drama's mixed bag of character and story failed to meet not only viewers' but also investors' expectations.

Studio Dragon Corp., the main production studio behind "Arthdal Chronicles," saw its share price fall nearly 10 percent on Monday, the day after the second episode was aired.

"The drop in share price was largely because of the lower-than-expected viewership ratings of the most-anticipated drama," Han Sang-woung, an analyst from Eugene Investment & Securities Co., said in a report on Tuesday. "The already completed episodes mean it won't be able to receive real-time feedback from viewers or allow changes to the plot."

But insiders said the TV ratings will likely go up from the third episode, slated for Saturday, as the drama has finished the fundamental narrative of world-building and is ready to develop its story fully starting this weekend.

The 2017 blockbuster fantasy romance drama "Guardian: The Lonely and Great God" from tvN also started with low audience shares in the first week -- 6.3 percent and 7.9 percent. But it soared to 20.5 percent in its final episode, the highest rating for all tvN dramas.

"In the third and fourth episodes, Eunseom (played by Song Joong-ki) and Tagon (Jang Dong-gun) stand against each other," said an official from the production company. "And Eunseom is going to struggle against overwhelming powers. It must be worth watching."

brk@yna.co.kr

credit : Yonhap News
(END)

Drama viewership ratings for the week of June 3-9, 2019

dramaratings_2.jpg

As expected, the cable shows are doing extremely well, with Voice 3 getting 4.4 percent and Arthdal Chronicles getting 7.7 percent.

Saturday, June 8      
Mother of Mine 45 KBS 22.1%
Mother of Mine 46 KBS 29.1%
Different Dreams 19 MBC 4.7%
Different Dreams 20 MBC 5.1%
Different Dreams 21 MBC 4.8%
Different Dreams 22 MBC 5.5%
Nokdu Flower 27 SBS 4.6%
Nokdu Flower 28 SBS 5.7%
Voice 3 9 OCN 4.0%
Arthdal Chronicles 3 tvN 6.4%
Sunday, June 9      
Mother of Mine 47 KBS 26.4%
Mother of Mine 48 KBS 32.1%
Voice 3 10 OCN 4.4%
Arthdal Chronicles 4 tvN 7.7%

(skipped unrelated.....)

LINK here : http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/06/drama-viewership-ratings-for-the-week-of-june-3-9-2019/

June 11, 2019

Blockbuster 'Arthdal Chronicles' under fire for similarity with famous dramas, films

The blockbuster fantasy series "Arthdal Chronicles" has been struggling not only with its lower-than-expected viewership ratings but with a ballooning controversy over its apparent resemblance to famous TV dramas and movies.

First aired on June 1 by cable channel tvN, the weekend drama is about a story when politics is just being birthed in the ancient city of Arthdal.

It was in the center of media attention even before the premiere thanks to its star-studded cast, including movie stars Jang Dong-gun and Song Joong-ki, and its huge production budget, reportedly 40 billion won ($33.7 million).

20190611000703_0.jpg
(Yonhap)

But the drama received disappointing results after the first two weeks, with its viewership hovering around 6-7 percent for four episodes, far lower than the near double-digit numbers of tvN's previous hit series like "Mr. Sunshine."

At the same time, critics said that characters, costumes, settings and even the rendering of "Arthdal Chronicles" are a hodgepodge of foreign fantasy dramas and movies that cover the ancient times or have fictional backgrounds.

In the drama's teaser images, many of the characters were spotted wearing costumes reminiscent of those in the US hit fantasy series, "Game of Thrones," in terms of color and design.

A picture that compares the clothes and props of the characters between the two dramas, known to be uploaded on the US social website Reddit, spread widely in Korean online communities, portals and social media.

For example, the warrior and kingpin Tagon, one of the main characters of "Arthdal Chronicles" played by Jang Dong-gun, looks similar to Jon Snow of "Game of Thrones." Red and white clothes of the two female characters in the two dramas look very similar, drawing harsh criticism from Korean fans of "Game of Thrones."

Even the background settings of The Great Black Wall seemed like the Wall in the northern border set in the US drama.

Others also pointed out some scenes and plots were likely from the 2006 movie "Apocalypto" and 2009 science fiction film "Avatar."

But the drama crew argued nothing is comparable to the epic "Game of Thrones," and they tried to create a new story based on their imagination.

"'Game of Thrones' is a drama that covers the entire human history since the time when people dance around a bonfire. It is the apex of human entertainment, and our series can hardly match up to that," Park Sang-yeon, one of the co-screenwriters of the drama, said in a press conference held in Seoul last month when questioned about the robust similarity between the two dramas.

Director Kim Won-seok, who made several well-rounded dramas, including "Sungkyunkwan Scandal," "Misaeng," "Signal" and "My Mister," said he knows it is difficult to measure up to the expectations for South Korea's biggest project.

"I tried hard, and I know that this can't be an excuse," he said. "I want to ask TV audiences to lower their expectations slightly and enjoy it." (Yonhap)

*** I was able to watch his latest movie, "Rampant" -  Although, the movie is polished, but I feel that “Rampant” is reluctant to commit fully to the intriguing originality of its premise. What I like about the movie is that the film tells its story at a faster pace. There was quite a lot to like with ‘Rampant.’ This was the first time that I saw Jang Dong Gun portray a villain but I really was not surprised that he was given a major chunk of the story. Prince Ganglim (Hyun Bin) gets the only resemblance of a character arc, as he must learn to grow out of his immature ways and accept his responsibilities towards his people. The film managed to incorporate some dramatic elements to “Rampant” as the prince came to terms with his destiny to take the throne. All in all, the movie had great production value and practical effects that worked. You’re here to see people slash and dash their way through waves of zombies – and that’s exactly where “Rampant” excels at. They are still as terrifying as you’d expect, and the film doesn’t shy away from gore. What sets the movie apart is its use of the time period. The production designs are exquisite, with grand sets for the towns and the palace, and elaborate traditional costumes that transport you back in time. You still get badass sword-wielding warriors taking down a swarm of zombies wearing “hanbok” clothes, and blockbuster-style battle scenes in grand set pieces. ‘Rampant’ still emerges as a rather fun and highly enjoyable variation on the Asian zombie genre that has plenty to like about it. :P

‘Arthdal Chronicles’ criticism gets louder: The tvN series is being accused of plagiarizing ‘Game of Thrones’ and being too boring

11202947.jpg

Cable channel tvN’s new drama series “Arthdal Chronicles” was bombarded with controversies before its first episode premiered. But it faced an even bigger mess as criticisms of the show grew so loud that Studio Dragon, entertainment company CJ ENM’s drama production studio, had to take action.

Before the drama made it to air, media reports revealed that the production had violated labor laws. In April, the show’s crew told Hope Solidarity Labor Union and the Hanbit Media Labor Rights Center that they had been subject to a “murderous” working environment that violated the 68 hours per week they had agreed to. The organizations reported Studio Dragon to the Seoul Employment and Labor Administration. The standards were agreed upon and announced by the studio last September to enhance the labor environment of its staff.

As public disapproval escalated, the studio sent out their defense via email to the press this past weekend. The company insists that it had abided by its own labor rules, but admitted that they had filmed for 113 hours during the week they went to Brunei in order to make the most out of their time shooting overseas. The studio denied reports that an injured staff member was ignored and told to continue working. The studio said that it only found out about the injury after the staff had returned to Korea and claimed that there was no evidence that the injury was due to excessive labor.

But the labor issues were only the beginning of what has proven to be a headache of a rollout for the series.

Spoiler

Looking familiar

After the second episode of “Arthdal Chronicles” aired on June 2, the show’s producer Kim Won-seok took to Facebook to describe how he was feeling about the criticism his project was facing.

“I just have to be the guy who doesn’t work hard. It doesn’t mean I wasn’t diligent enough, but I will think of it that way, because otherwise, [the reality] hurts too much.”

When some people showed concerns, he later uploaded another post, saying, “Thank you all [for your concern]. It just meant that I will work harder until the end. You don’t need to worry about me.”

To ensure that Korea’s first ancient historical drama was a success, the studio brought on a star-studded cast: Jang Dong-gun, Song Joong-ki, Kim Ji-won and Kim Ok-vin.

The series also drew a great deal of attention because of its enormous budget. A total of 54 billion won ($45.65 million) is said to have been used to produce this drama, which peeked the interest of many viewers.

When the show finally made its debut, viewers were not happy with what they saw, and they weren’t hesitant to express how they feel.

Soon after the first two episodes aired, pictures of the characters lined up next to characters from the hit HBO series “Game of Thrones” floated online. Images of the Iron Throne from the HBO series and the throne that Jang sits on in “Arthdal Chronicles” looked awfully similar, according to many “Game of Thrones” fans.

The dispute was further aggravated because the drama promoted itself as the Korean version of “Game of Thrones,” but local fans argued that “Arthdal Chronicles” outright plagiarized the original.

11202646.jpg

“After watching the fourth episode, I strongly feel that ‘Chronicles’ plagiarized ‘Thrones,’” read a comment posted on the Naver page for the drama. “The main character who interacts with animals, which happen to be wolves; conflict between sovereign and divine powers; two worlds separated by a great wall, etc. There are simply too many to list one by one. Anyone who has seen ‘Game of Thrones’ would see the likeness. Isn’t this too much?”

Others have also complained about the show’s poor use of CGI to create the mythical lands of Arthdal and slow-paced storyline that spent four episodes introducing various characters and plot lines, making viewers lose interest.

Strangely enough, comments left on shortened clips of the show on Naver TV are overwhelmingly positive. Some people wrote that the story was getting interesting and that it was “fresh” and different from typical TV dramas that center around relationships and love triangles.

The drama also seems to be listening to viewers’ opinions. Special video clips that help viewers understand the complicated storyline after each episode ends were filled with comments complaining that the narration was hard to follow because of its fast pace. Beginning with the fourth episode, subtitles were added to make it easier for viewers to understand.

The viewership rating for the show’s fourth episode was 7.7 percent - a middle-of-the-road result considering how much the studio spent to make the show. Its predecessors such as “Mr. Sunshine” (2018) or “Goblin” (2016) recorded 18.1 percent and 20.5 percent for their final episodes, and they did not have budgets anywhere close to “Arthdal.”

Producers dropped another surprise for viewers on Monday evening: Nichkhun of the boy group 2PM and Jisoo of the girl group Blackpink will be featuring in the latter half of the series. The show has kept their appearances a secret in order to avoid spoiling the show’s plot.

Jisoo will make just a short cameo appearance, but producers say that Nichkhun will play a role that will leave a strong impression, even though this is his first appearance in a local drama series.

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

Spoiler

June 18, 2019

“Arthdal Chronicles” And “One Spring Night” Continue To Top Rankings For Buzzworthy Dramas

7e2f6ef82aed479181d2cd995e2e2927.jpeg?s=

On June 17, Good Data Corporation released their weekly ratings of the most buzzworthy dramas and actors. The results are from the company’s analysis of 24 currently airing and upcoming dramas for the second week of June.

tvN’s “Arthdal Chronicles” ranked No. 1 on the list of most buzzworthy dramas for the third time in a row. Although a drop from its original debut score of 32 percent, “Arthdal Chronicles” maintained its top ranking on the list. The reveal of Song Joong Ki’s twin and news that BLACKPINK‘s Jisoo and 2PM’s Nichkhun would be featuring in the drama created much more buzz around the drama.

Song Joong Ki and Jang Dong Gun ranked No. 4 and No. 5 respectively on the list of buzzworthy actors.

Check out the top 10 TV dramas this week:

1. tvN “Arthdal Chronicles” – 21.64 percent
2. MBC “One Spring Night” – 12.51 percent
3. JTBC “Chief of Staff” – 8.59 percent
4. tvN “Search: WWW” – 8.11 percent
5. OCN “Voice 3” – 6.02 percent
6. KBS2 “Angel’s Last Mission: Love” – 5.82 percent
7. KBS2 “Perfume” – 4.17 percent
8. OCN “Save Me 2” – 3.95 percent
9. JTBC “The Wind Blows” – 3.87 percent

buzzworthy-drama.jpg

Spoiler

Check out the top 10 drama actors this week:

1. Han Ji Min (“One Spring Night”)
2. Lee Jung Jae (“Chief of Staff”)
3. Jung Hae In (“One Spring Night”)
4. Song Joong Ki (“Arthdal Chronicles”)
5. Jang Dong Gun (“Arthdal Chronicles”)
6. Im Soo Jung (“Search: WWW”)
7. Shin Hye Sun (“Angel’s Last Mission: Love”)
8. Shin Min Ah (“Chief of Staff”)
9. INFINITE’s L (“Angel’s Last Mission: Love”)
10. Kam Woo Sung (“The Wind Blows”)

buzzworthy-actor.jpg

(skipped unrelated.....)

Source (1) (2) / soompi news

Spoiler

10. tvN “Abyss” – 3.77 percent