Korean Hip-Hop

Guest Plissken

Guest MateoMathis

Haha that's just pretty much how it is..holding an event in K-town is almost like holding it in Korea; it's its own little enclosed autonomous community ^^ For the concerts I've been to (which I heard about online or from friends), I was probably one out of 10 non-Asians in the audience =P

<3Stephanie

That is sooo not cool. :( Actually kinda embarrassing as an Asian. :tears:

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest orienkorean

actually, i'm glad this is kept within k-town. it would really be embarrasing, otherwise. these fools are weak. and look at their audience.. my god, i'd hang myself before being seen among them.

just listened to some jeetkuneflow on his myspace. that was some of the worst hip hop i've listened to recently

Guest tangun2333

Haha that's just pretty much how it is..holding an event in K-town is almost like holding it in Korea; it's its own little enclosed autonomous community ^^ For the concerts I've been to (which I heard about online or from friends), I was probably one out of 10 non-Asians in the audience =P

<3Stephanie

Yeah, that's why all these concerts happen in k-town. It's for the korean community there, not for non-Asians. k-town LA is the biggest korean community in the world outside of Seoul, so no need for outsiders. k-town is not america. Ghetto Musik is an annual Korean music concert for a Korean audience--most of America does not have this, but we do, so don't hate.

MCs, singers, and dancers from Jeet Kune Flow put on Ghetto Musik every year, and hundreds show up, because the talent is excellent, and everyone has a great time. This K-town scene is happening. And this is just one of many concerts held in K-Town every year by Jeet Kune Flow. Every week Jeet Kune Flow holds an open mic & open dance floor in K-Town, for Korean musicians and dancers--and this has been going on for the past 3 years. Jeet Kune Flow is a crew made up of more than 50 Korean artists mostly born or raised in K-Town, and half the crew speaks korean mainly or performs in korean as a first language.

do not judge JKF until you have been to one of these JKF concerts. unlike other parts of the US, JKF is not a bunch of bedroom rappers. everyone in JKF is a performer first. there's real skills and originality here, built up from dozens of performances and weekly mic sessions. and unlike korean events in other parts of the US, JKF keeps it real with korean language, with the hosting in korean and many of the rappers and singers performing in korean. for history of JKF, see http://www.myspace.com/jeetkuneflow

Guest cherryonken

oh man I shouldn't have mentioned Big Bang in the first place, funny replies, funny. I'm keeping tightlipped about YG and its "ethics" shall we say.

Keep those name drops coming, you guys are my source for not so mainstream (perhaps?) khiphop, I use the term objectively.

Quick edit, checked the Epik High thread....wheres the discussion about the music gone?!??!?!?

Guest HK Tequila

Has anybody listened to Snipers new album?

Some quality stuff on there.

The song Girls is easily my favorite from the album.

Guest craisin

SUPPORT DOUBLE K

SUPPORT DOUBLE K

SUPPORT DOUBLE K

SUPPORT DOUBLE K

SUPPORT DOUBLE K

XD

and Tasha.

psh support MOVEMENT.

1tym, Jinusean and all that YG crap aint real rap, bust in tha k-underground section to get better answers.

CB Mass is ill, give Joosuc a shot to

Epik High used to be ill, but they're gettin a lido too mainstream for me

heres a list of some good rappers i got from k-underground:

디지 (Deegie)

Spit Fire

2DR

45RPM (they've been around for a lot longer than their 1 mainstream album)

Digiry

Diz One

Dope Boyz

Drunken Tiger (드렁큰타이거)

Dynamic Duo

Free Style

개화산 (Gae Hwa San)

Gaknagne

Honey Family

Infinite Flow (I.F)

주석 (Joosuc)

Keeproots

Lee Hyun D.O.

Lee Ssang

Master Chang

Master Plan

Master-J

MC 한새 (MC Hansai/MC Hansae)

MC K

MC 몽 (MC Mong)

MC Sniper

Mo Phatt

MP Hiphop

Onesun

P-Type

Panic

Rapgas

R-EST (Raw Esthesia)

Tasha (T)

Uptown

UTR

Vasco

X-Clan

X-Teen

양동근 (Yang Dong Geun)

Yoon Hee Jung (윤히정)

김진표 (Kim Jin Pyo)

대한민국 (Dae Han Min Guk/Gook)

Hey, you listed all of them!

Yeah, i have to agree EPIK is going mainstream,

but they're lyrics are still pretty true to HIP HOP.

YG is so materialistic, but i still kinda love them.

YG is definitely NOT true hiphop no more.. with YG

Hiphop is dead.

(that's my opinion)

[edit2]

How come there are like NO ONE in the BOSTON area?

Guest the7REAL.

YG never was true hip hop.... sorry to break it to you.

^Wow, kind of late..ha. We established that a few pages back. -_- I think if YG is not true hip hop, then they should stop being mentioned in this thread as this is 'K Hip Hop'. People should be talking about what IS K Hip Hop here then rather than what is NOT K Hip Hop all the time...imo..Cause my question as to what defines real K Hip Hop has not been really answered yet, so I'm always happy to see all these recommendations and would appreciate more feed back on the artists mentioned..because their always just 'mentioned' and never talked about more than that really...unless I'm missing a memo and the point is to not hype up much about underground artists so that they stay underground... :huh: hope that's not the case...cause that'd be kinda sad.

Oh and I'm still with Korowa on how Hip Hop is dead anyways. -_-

^*raises hand* I've listened to it recently. It's def a must listen, but I need more time to REALLY listen to the whole album a bit more. But so far, feelin' it. I saw MC Sniper's 'come back' on Music Core a couple of weeks ago but forgot to mention it here. His flow is crazy good. He has another song with BK..ha..Anyways, glad Sniper's back, but I have no idea what kind of activities he has going on as I don't know where to get info about that..about him. Or even if he goes on music shows...I don't know what's the 'norm' for underground K Hip Hop artists...

Guest donny fyasko

Love his song with Horan from Clazziquai and his other song, "O Come, My Darling Spring" with Yuri.

Fantastic stuff all over.

And I think all of ya'll who provoke an argument that a particular artist/group is or is not KHipHop are just mindless.

Assertions are just assertions...assumptions based on pure speculation. So it's pointless to argue if a person or group was ever "KHipHop".

I mean, there is no universal set of criteria used to define an artist/group as "KHipHop". Everyone has their own personal criteria.

And I love how certain, innovative groups are so versatile in their music that they blur the lines that separate genres. (take for example, Epik High)

wow.. this thread grew pretty fast today huh?

Aniways, Yeah, i guess YG really wasn't ever true to the hiphop culture..

just to make it concrete.

So, dude, what's some of the hip hop groups/artists in the boston area?

I've recently gotten into the HIP HOP thing, just recently, and i don't

know much about HIP HOP...

[edit] So what's all of your definition of Hip Hop?

Guest donny fyasko

So, dude, what's some of the hip hop groups/artists in the boston area?

I've recently gotten into the HIP HOP thing, just recently, and i don't

know much about HIP HOP...

[edit] So what's all of your definition of Hip Hop?

You saying YG wasn't ever true to hiphop culture aggravates me. (I personally don't like them simply because I don't like their music.)

Tell me, are you an expert in the hiphop culture? A connoisseur in the art of hiphop? What universal criteria did you base your conclusion on?

I'm not saying YG is hiphop, but I am not saying YG isn't hiphop either.

People shouldn't assert certain things and make it appear UNIVERSAL and FACTUAL.

And everyone has their own definition of hiphop.

I am hiphop :D

Guest orienkorean

YG is Hip Pop. So is the Movement. And so is Master Plan. and D.O. and every damn thing Epik High touches (except for MAYBE their contribution to the Unknown DJs EP)

Big Deal, Soul Company, deieb, Tyle, Hanryangsa, and a few others i can't remember, are notable underground labels. I hate Dead'P from Big Deal though. and Paloalto is beginning to annoy me. and Garion's gone soft.

Edit: has anyone read the "Korean Hip Hop" contribution to wikipedia.org? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_hip_hop

"Some fans assert that Korean hip hop artists possess skills that can rival their U.S. counterparts. Notable performers include Jo PD, Drunken Tiger, Psy and Epik High. Some suggest that Korean hip hop music firmly stands as the respectable and socially-conscious antithesis to an often superficial and confused pop genre that pervades the Korean music industry."

socially-conscious antithesis to a superficial and confused pop genre? Those rappers that have been mentioned have buried themselves in the damn pop genre.

Edit2: and no baoi, Dah_jOkA didn't list all of them.

Guest Take Five

^well, it figures that epik high has the longest article on there...it'd be nice if i could get more info about other groups though...

Edit//NVM

I would love to hear more good k-hip hop

only thing that sounds legit to me is Tasha

I'll try to check out the others listed

I'm always up for good music

Guest Akira

Put it this way : Everyone has their own definition of what is "Real Hip-Hop".

Let alone, Hip-Hop in general.

Statements like "Hip-Hop is dead." basically falsify any definition of Hip-Hop.

Who really can define it?

Hip-Hop does have a definition, and it's more than just a musical genre it's literally a life-style that incorporates just more than music. What we're all debating about right now is just the rapping aspect of it.

The problem with rap right now, is that everybody assumes that whatever sub-genre of rap they listen to represents the whole. Some people like to listen to Underground Hip-Hop, others like to listen to the Commercialize Hip-Hop and to each their own. The problem is when a listener of one sub-genre starts attacking the other genre that the problem comes out. The most common case scenario that I see though is of the Underground listeners saying that their music is wholly superior to the commercialized rapping, which causes the listeners of Commercialized rap to come out and try to defend their tastes, claiming that it is just as or equal to the underground genre, which in turn evolves into a flame war.

Guest HK Tequila

IMO. The music that constitutes hip-hop is far broader than most people think. When Hip-hop was first started it was music primarily for dancing. Its funny to me how people are so quick to claim that hip-hop is dead because all the songs these days deal with the same things i.e. "money, guns, ho's", however if an artist comes out that isnt talking about "money, guns, ho's" everybody is quick to say there not hip-hop.

Guest A180585

It's really funny how people keep going back to YG in this thread. Can't people leave them alone? Talk about underground Korean hip hop. That is the point of the thread is it not? It's not a 'Let's bash on YG' thread is it? Cuz i never knew it was! Gee.

I am hiphop :D

That made me laugh. I wanna be hip hop too! lol

=====

Is Jiggy Fellaz classified as underground? :blink: just curious. I was told to listen to them.

Archived