Korean Hip-Hop

Guest Plissken

Guest rainysunday

While you are entitled to your own opinion, please don't assume that everyone thinks Big Bang is SOOOOOOO hardcore like oh em eff gee! Whoever thinks that, must be an idiot, because those boys wouldn't harm a fly...er...except for maybe Top :mellow: ...While, it's no surprise that I am a indeed a fan of Big Bang (ahem, refer to fangirl-ish sig..=P) I am aware that Big Bang aren't the epitome of Hip-Hop, but they do borrow some elements of Hip Hop, and R&B, and Pop, Rock and Ballads, and do rap, but it's this ability to be flexible as artists that I do respect them for, as well as the hardwork, live performances, sweat and blood that these boys put into their work as artists and because of this, they shouldn't just be brushed off as another boy band(or in this case, for some reason you think people think they are hardcore), instead they should at least be recognized as valid artist in the music industry, nothing less nothing more. This also goes with YG....I don't know what kind of 'street credibility' you are talking about that seems to be advertised by YG, but if anything, what is wrong with trying to get your artists heard somewhere or anywhere? Now, back to Big Bang being hardcore?! What gave you that notion? LOL. they look like flower boys in my sig...@_@;; If you have heard anyone call Big Bang hardcore, maybe it was because of their early pictures when they had that 'blue steel' look on their faces that made all the teenyboppers classify them as 'gangster-looking & hardcore'? As for weak rhymes, that's up to the individual^^ but I must say their recent single 'Dirty Cash' in terms of lyrical meaning and a deeper sense into something related to morals and ethics in society is something to be heard~ GD and Top, while they may not be your favorite rappers, both of their styles are unique, if they could just be taken seriously without being under the veil of a popular group right now.

First of all, you need to re-read my statement again because your arguments, if they are indeed responses to mine, make very little sense given what I said previous. Nowhere in my statement did I assume EVERYONE THINKS THEY'RE SOOOOO HARDCORE. I stated, verbatim, "I know a lot of people love Big Bang and think they're SOOOOO hardcore." There's a difference here. And YES, it's true a lot of people take them to be hardcore rappers that are somehow representative of urban culture. Maybe you haven't encountered any of those people, and that's fine, but I have. Still, I know better than to make a statement saying I KNOW EVERYONE IS BLINDED BY THEIR MARKETING.

Second of all, street credibility does not mean what you took it to mean. Street credibility is not a reference to getting your artist heard elsewhere, it's about giving people the notion that you've experienced or was a part of that urban culture viewed as traditionally integral to hip hop and are often reflected through rhymes.

I could care less what the members of Big Bang looks like and whether by their physical characteristics they can be viewed as a boyband or whatever. But YG's marketing, by tailoring the style of their photos, clothing, demeanor, whatever, can, and in my experience, has mislead many impressionable teenagers to believe that they are what hip hop is all about. Once again, this has to deal with my personal experiences and the rationale given by people I know for why they are attracted to Big Bang.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Agreed...

Big Bang isn't hip-hop, it's hip-pop..Most people esp young fan girls need to realize that..BIG TIME..Not to say, I have a background in the hip-hop music entertainment to determine which is which..but I do recognize the difference between them and Tger JK, Dynamic Duo, Epik High..yeah so...and I like these guys, it's just that their latest album is tres dissapointing..Dirty Cash sadly to say sounds like what is expected of Suju, come on man..I know they can do better..

Guest the7REAL.

First of all, you need to re-read my statement again because your arguments, if they are indeed responses to mine, make very little sense given what I said previous. Nowhere in my statement did I assume EVERYONE THINKS THEY'RE SOOOOO HARDCORE. I stated, verbatim, "I know a lot of people love Big Bang and think they're SOOOOO hardcore." There's a difference here. And YES, it's true a lot of people take them to be hardcore rappers that are somehow representative of urban culture. Maybe you haven't encountered any of those people, and that's fine, but I have. Still, I know better than to make a statement saying I KNOW EVERYONE IS BLINDED BY THEIR MARKETING.

Second of all, street credibility does not mean what you took it to mean. Street credibility is not a reference to getting your artist heard elsewhere, it's about giving people the notion that you've experienced or was a part of that urban culture viewed as traditionally integral to hip hop and are often reflected through rhymes.

I could care less what the members of Big Bang looks like and whether by their physical characteristics they can be viewed as a boyband or whatever. But YG's marketing, by tailoring the style of their photos, clothing, demeanor, whatever, can, and in my experience, has mislead many impressionable teenagers to believe that they are what hip hop is all about. Once again, this has to deal with my personal experiences and the rationale given by people I know for why they are attracted to Big Bang.

^LOL. sorry about the ASSUME part, when I typed my response it was like 3 am...@_@;; yesh, a dazed mind. But you have many good points.^^ Well, I guess, I just didn't want you to think we all are like that, just in case you felt that way. And, you're right, I haven't encountered people who think that way...thank goodness. But nor have I ever thought YG tries hard in trying to make their artists seem like they have street credibility..unless your talking about other artist besides Big Bang like Masta Wu or whoever because I don't know what's going on with him. I can't even imagine any K Hip Hop artist to have any street credibility anyways and that's why I took it to mean another way. Again, why does it matter to you or anyone how others like the 'impressionable teenagers' view hip hop to be? And the reasons of those you encountered of why they are attracted to Big Bang...that of course, is their own reasons, but why does that matter? I guess, I'm just trying to understand more of when people mention the feelings of other people on certain artists..as what that has to do with anything. And in Big Bang, through their lyrics at least, I don't ever hear them trying to "give people the notion that you've experienced or was a part of that urban culture viewed as traditionally integral to hip hop and are often reflected through rhymes." I really don't see the hardcore-ness or what those people you have encountered see. Anyways, they don't claim to be a hip hop group anyways, so I don't see why they have to keep being brought up in this thread, as I don't see anyone saying that they ARE hip hop, all I see are comments on how they ARE NOT. but I think I just want to agree with Korowa that Hip Hop is dead and that the lines of genres are getting blurrier and blurrier.

anyways, open question to anyone...

Since, it seems to have certain standards that I'm not aware of...<s>What is Hip Hop? What is Hip Hop to you?</s> Wait.....nvm...what is KOREAN Hip Hop to you? And do any of them even have street cred. If so...what are they? :mellow: I'm curious.

Anyways, they don't claim to be a hip hop group anyways, so I don't see why they have to keep being brought up in this thread, as I don't see anyone saying that they ARE hip hop, all I see are comments on how they ARE NOT. but I think I just want to agree with Korowa that Hip Hop is dead and that the lines of genres are getting blurrier and blurrier.

anyways, open question to anyone...

Since, it seems to have certain standards that I'm not aware of...<s>What is Hip Hop? What is Hip Hop to you?</s> Wait.....nvm...what is KOREAN Hip Hop to you? And do any of them even have street cred. If so...what are they? :mellow: I'm curious.

Are you kidding me?I think they did, in one of their songs..Plus, even if they didn't, they're not exactly sporting SG Wannabe's image with Sung Si Kyung's hair right? When you look at their pictures, automatically you'd assume that they're a hip-hop group plus everyone knows that YG supposedly produces hip-hop groups what's with 1TYM, Masta Wu etc etc.

This is a good review of BB, given by euni at z-degrees. "I actually did like Dirty Cash... no one? no one liked it? no? Oh well... I mean, I do agree it was not a song that showed off their voice too much. But Big Bang failed to entice me as the way it did the other 20,000 Korean girls, right from the start. To be honest, their first single made their voice sound similar to already famous TVXQ... even though it was hip-hop. Whaaaa how does THAT happen... I was very disappointed on the single that followed and stopped caring. It felt like this huge media hype. I felt like they atleast made an effort to create a different sound with Dirty Cash. Unfortunately, the style of the song was similar to what every other boy band does. It is a catchy dance song that laments about the evils in our society (uh, "Rising Sun" "O Jung Ban Hap" anyone?) except it was an upbeat happy tone. Seriously, why even bother?

I also find it hard to take a band seriously if it crops up 4 CD's within 2 years. It's like time is chasing after Big Bang. I swear they're trying to make the Guinnesse Book of Records as the group with most CD's released in the shortest amount of time. The way that this album was set up proved to me that they were more concerned about meeting their deadline than making a good record. I do understand a need to do solo work in a group. I just want it to be done AFTER creating some tight group work. Not a lot of thought and concern go in to their music, despite the fact that they are publicly known to be responsible for writing and producing some of these songs. You'd think a responsibility like that would motivate you to constantly perfect the record. I honestly thought that especially in Dirty Cash, a little bit of editing would have done a lot of good.

I feel like Big Bang is always... rushed! They need to mature a little bit in their music. If they think that blending hip-hop with boy band is going to last them for a while, they got another thing coming. Big Bang's glitter will wear off quickly when fans realized that they are just chopping up more albums as fast as they can. And it's regretful because there is a lot of potential in certain members of Big Bang."

Anyways, I can't really determine what is hip hop or not, so the only thing I can do as a listener is to compare. And no, I don't compare American hip-hop with Korean hip-hop, there would be no justification to that. So I searched other songs of other hip hop artists in Korea and compared them with BB. I think there is a lot of diff. So yeah, I know this isn't a good answer but I this is just what I know. Sorry if it doesn't help much :unsure: :blush: .

Guest the7REAL.

Anyways, I can't really determine what is hip hop or not, so the only thing I can do as a listener is to compare. And no, I don't compare American hip-hop with Korean hip-hop, there would be no justification to that. So I searched other songs of other hip hop artists in Korea and compared them with BB. I think there is a lot of diff. So yeah, I know this isn't a good answer but I this is just what I know. Sorry if it doesn't help much :unsure: :blush: .

Oh no it was helpful, thank you for replying to my post, also forgot to say, thank you to rainysunday for replying. I appreciate it more when I can get the other view on certain topics.^^

btw when u said

Are you kidding me?I think they did, in one of their songs..Plus, even if they didn't, they're not exactly sporting SG Wannabe's image with Sung Si Kyung's hair right? When you look at their pictures, automatically you'd assume that they're a hip-hop group plus everyone knows that YG supposedly produces hip-hop groups what's with 1TYM, Masta Wu etc etc.
please state which song you're talking about, so I can better understand. Also....who is Sung Si Kyung..?.... :blink: and besides, what they dress like or how they fix their hair shouldn't be something that defines who they are as artist..also in their pictures...I'm thinking ur talking about their earlier ones, since now, its not so much that 'hip hop group' look. But you have to remember that these are like young boys, they do look up to Hip Hop & R&B styles and if they want to dress like that then who should be the one saying they can't? Their young, they wanna dress their age by just dressing in fun/stylish ways and alot of people my age dress like that also, but doesn't mean each and every one want to start their own hip hop group. (plus, not to offend, but alot of korean boyband groups dress in prettyy funky things, with alot of strings and glitter...umm yeah..not something that appeals to me..i find BB to dress normal in comparison) plus, even tho YG 'supposedly' produces Hip Hop groups, if you look at it..there's only a small amount maybe to count on one hand..otherwise I always thought they were a more R&Bish company. Because to me, that's what kind of pulls me more towards their style of music and not really finding a connection to any other company who more pop-ish.

Umm, I'm not too keen on reading reviews for things, because I like to hold on my own when I'm critiquing something, just because I don't want a review to affect my thoughts on something, though some do have good points. Otherwise, it doesn't interest me much, because it's one person's opinion, and of course, all are different.^^ So that's what I was wondering if people do compare American Hip Hop to Korean..because Hip Hop does come from more of America influence...cause I'm curious to what is the standards of K Hip Hop that people seem to be going by when comparing...like..who made it Korean Hip Hop...

But I agree in the review how things seem more rushed. but they havent been releasing albums like crazy..i mean..the ones before the first album were singles to demonstrate their talents. And they do have that...talent. ^^

^Hi, thanks for replying to me without biting my head off. I see some fans were very passionate a few pages before..They didn't actually say it but in the Intro(Put your hands up) in their very first single there was something about hip hop? I couldn't find lyrics...anyways, if you go here, it even says that they are a supposedly hip hop group, and you know wiki gets things right most of the time... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang_(group) .

Yes it is true most korean boybands have funky clothes but I have yet to find one that has bling blings on, wearing Bape most of the time with all those scarves around them, baggy jeans..etc etc..

On a personal base, I was never that interested to check out Korea's hip hop scene coz to me, nothing beats the original..and then BB came. And I loved their first single but then they had all these albums out after that and I changed my mind because it was such a dissapointment. They're too influenced by America's hip hop music scene and they were trying too hard..so yeah..hopefully they can improve.

Guest the7REAL.

^I also thought wiki knew it at all, and then came to find that Se7en & Big Bang's page gets RAPED alot. lol. last time saying two of the members are brothers and married to each other and Se7en's gay. @_@;; So much for wiki...xD

But yeah, its good that you checked them out but found out that they were just not for you.

The Intro(Put your hands up), it's just an intro and saying how they've waited a long time and they are opening the door to their dream they've been preparing for. The only thing mentioned about hip hop, is perhaps just that one sentence, which haha, I guess wouldn't sound to appealing in here, when they just say "hippy to the hoppa all day" is that what you mean? Yeah, I think it was just a filler in the song...@_@;; i say hippy to the hoppy when i say hip hop before this song, but thats when i'm in a wierd mood..=_=;;

and the 'bling bling' your referring to...well, they got those chains as gifts when they first formed but they hardly wear it, it's just a symbol of their newcoming. also, the Bape(which is about only 2-3 worn out hoodies) and whatevers they wear, I say again that it's just how they prefer to dress and even then, they practically wear it out and share it with eachother, and alot of teens wear Bape and these other underground labels, which have killed it's exclusiveness, but they should be allowed to wear whatever they want. They are influenced by America's hip hop and they've said it before. =/ But yeah, its still a learning process and they have alot of time and room to grow and mature. It's only been 6 months since they've debuted..>__<;;

I'm sorry if I sound like all I want to do is defend, but I dunno...I can't help it..lol. I just want to help clarify some things because I see some have had bad first impressions of the boys. But I'm coming from having followed BB's progressing career since before their debut and documentary. I guess its no doubt that they are indeed more mainstream, but we'll see how they progress throughout their career..They're just getting started...

btw, since I've just gotten into Epik High, what are some other K hip hop artists are out there with the same style? I've always tried to look for the more 'underground k hip hop' artists that was recommended to me on this thread, but really, I don't even know where to look for anything on them..like songs or just...anything...-_-

omg why are my replies sooo long???...T______T;;; sorry bout that...habit..

Guest MateoMathis

YG Family is synonymous to Bad Boyz, proclaiming hiphop but really using it as a facade to sell.

Sounds like RZA definition. :phew:

And I don't feel like taking any particular side, so don't attack me right now.

Guest MateoMathis

i love 1TYM!! i really like their song without you and one love taebin's acoustic version xD

this the without you clip! it's so sad TT^TT i think that chick in is is hanbyul? O.O

errrr... wrong thread?

Guest GDlovesBEE

^Agreed...

Big Bang isn't hip-hop, it's hip-pop..Most people esp young fan girls need to realize that..BIG TIME..Not to say, I have a background in the hip-hop music entertainment to determine which is which..but I do recognize the difference between them and Tger JK, Dynamic Duo, Epik High..yeah so...and I like these guys, it's just that their latest album is tres dissapointing..Dirty Cash sadly to say sounds like what is expected of Suju, come on man..I know they can do better..

they're not hip-pop. they're simply rap and r&b. why do fan girls need to realize that for? let them like what they like, geez. epik high is BS. tablo raps like an idiot on dope.

Huh, I wonder who first patented this word hip-pop, cause I never heard of it until now. No such thing as hip-pop. My guess, it was started by a confused individual who spelt it wrong.

The majority of these heads still have mother's milk on their breathe needs quietly STFU about things they know nothing about.

such harsh unwarrented words from nowhere...

anyway I'm just surprised that people were referring to my statements..

Guest MateoMathis

Huh, I wonder who first patented this word hip-pop, cause I never heard of it until now. No such thing as hip-pop. My guess, it was started by a confused individual who spelt it wrong.

First of all, I'm pretty sure the word "hip-pop" can't be patented. Second, Hip-Pop has been around for a pretty long time, probably before you even knew what hip hop was. I can assure you it was not started out as a mispelled word.

they're not hip-pop. they're simply rap and r&b. why do fan girls need to realize that for? let them like what they like, geez. epik high is BS. tablo raps like an idiot on dope.

They are hip-pop. Anyways, I don't think I want to debate with you, I read your comments from a few pages back, you're so bias you're impossible. You're not someone I could have a decent debate with like the one before. But I must defend Epik High. If Epik High is richard simmons, then Big Bang is like the dust underneath my shoes. Simple as that. Tablo rap 3 times better than G-Dragon or Tempo's stiff rapping. How can you say Epik High is bs is beyond me. It's fans like you who turns me off. The one who thinks theirs is the best and the rest are just not up to standard which is totally untrue. Please don't quote me and reply. You really aren't worth my time.

Guest cindel25

If you really want to get technically: Hip Pop stand for the deviation of Hip Hop from its original form into popular culture.

Biggie, Tupac, 50 cent, Eminem, Drunken Tiger, Epic High, Dynamic Duo, MC Mong are under this definition.

Want some stones for that glass house you're living in?

First of all, I'm pretty sure the word "hip-pop" can't be patented. Second, Hip-Pop has been around for a pretty long time, probably before you even knew what hip hop was. I can assure you it was not started out as a mispelled word.

Namie Amuro is the first person i heard use the term ''hip-pop'' therefore i'm going to credit her for coining it.

~~~~~~~

now as much as i like the YG artists, i'm gonna have to agree with wasabi on this one...Big Bang is a hip-pop group. YG picked and pruned these young men to be so. and there is no shame in them being it either...because i'm pretty sure their bank accounts aren't hurting.

~~~~~~~

and like Sophia said...alot of these artist fall under the same category. just because they aren't enjoying the same fame and recognition doesn't mean they aren't in the same genre.

Guest the7REAL.

Well, this topic went really.... off-topic.

Heard any good hip-hop aritsts recently?

^Well, not recently but I was wondering if anyone had any more info on MC Sniper..I can never find anything solid on him besides that he incorporates hip-hop and traditional Korean music in his stuff & challenges government and the economic conditions in Korea in his music..or something along those lines. Also, is there any other artist like him with this same style? I enjoy listening to his music...& BK love alot...but what does 'BK love' mean..? O_o anyone know?

Archived