Korean Hip-Hop

Guest Plissken

Guest orienkorean

I think there needs to be less discussion here about mainstream Korean hip hop (read: epik high, free style, etc.).

anyway, to go back on topic, I've just listened to Loptimist's album (22 Channels) and it's great. one of my favourite Korean hip hop producers, for sure.

the album features plenty of underground American rappers. the only downside to this album is is that it features Dead'P who is an underground Korean rapper. i can't stand that guy.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Well, not recently but I was wondering if anyone had any more info on MC Sniper..I can never find anything solid on him besides that he incorporates hip-hop and traditional Korean music in his stuff & challenges government and the economic conditions in Korea in his music..or something along those lines. Also, is there any other artist like him with this same style? I enjoy listening to his music...& BK love alot...but what does 'BK love' mean..? O_o anyone know?

Well MC Sniper hasn't done anything in a real long time I believe, unless he decided to go really underground and abandonded a distribution deal.

There was a lot of controversy with him a little while ago though, since I believe in an interview he said that he didn't rap because he had a message to say, but he did it because it was a good source of money for him at the time.

Um I think MC Hansai would probably the closest in terms of style, but I don't know whether to consider either of them really underground you know?

Haha and I have no idea what the BK stands for either.

Guest plusone

^MC sniper has something coming out in march i believe...

and i think BK is another rapper who collabed with him on that song? im not so sure

on the other hand, does anyone know if the loptimist album is any good?

^MC sniper has something coming out in march i believe...

and i think BK is another rapper who collabed with him on that song? im not so sure

on the other hand, does anyone know if the loptimist album is any good?

BK was the female singer that sang the chorus for that song.

Guest the7REAL.

Well MC Sniper hasn't done anything in a real long time I believe, unless he decided to go really underground and abandonded a distribution deal.

There was a lot of controversy with him a little while ago though, since I believe in an interview he said that he didn't rap because he had a message to say, but he did it because it was a good source of money for him at the time.

Um I think MC Hansai would probably the closest in terms of style, but I don't know whether to consider either of them really underground you know?

Haha and I have no idea what the BK stands for either.

^according to z-degrees, vol4 drops on march 5th

nice. it might come out tommorow then since they get some albums early sometimes

BK was the female singer that sang the chorus for that song.

^Wow. I guess it was good timing that I asked then. Looking forward to hearing his new stuff.^^ Whoa, BK is a female? :blink: *listening to song again*

Are you sure...?..she has a very deep...unique voice then... :unsure:

^... hmmm after going back to hear the song... I'm not doubting what previous statement. All I know is that when he performed... there was a female singing the chorus, so I don't know if they just decided to get a female for the performances or not.

Guest plusone

^well i was looking at the lyrics on inmuz.com and they had the first verse labeled as BK and the second as MC Sniper

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kittenmasks

If you haven't, be sure to check out Poetic License's "시적자유 Poetic License." It's so good that it blows my mind. Why haven't I heard of his name until now? He's got to be the best lyricist in the rap game.

khip hop in korea is actually pretty big.. the underground scene is crazy in korea...... yea in mainstream not much rappers.... basically people from the movement... then you got buddah baby which is mc snipers group like baechigi, kinetic flow.. den u got yg.... basically "hiphop triphop flipflop hippop watever u guys call it" in the mainstream.... u dont see alot of masterplan people coming out on tv these days.... joosuc, etc..... and for underground hiphop musicians theres soulscape... rhyme-a.... paloalto... quiett... rhymebus... sideb.. umc... onesun... ptype.. ?????.. and alot more i can list... u wont believe how big it is unless u actually go to korea and see how big the underground scene is... hiphop in korea is the big thing right now.... its just alot of korean americans dont knoe... cuz they dont...

and poetic license's is not the best lyricist in the rap game.. =)

Guest tangun2333

Ghetto Musik is K-Town Los Angeles' biggest underground korean hip hop concert

Dumbfoundead at Ghetto Musik 1 (1995), BSBC, K-Town LA

dfdghetto.jpg

Furis at Ghetto Musik Remix (1996), BSBC, K-Town LA

Furis%20at%20ghetto%20musik%20remix%205%20small.jpg

GHETTO MUSIK 3

Sat, April 14

Vision Art Hall, K-Town LA

ghettomusik3.jpg

Ghetto Musik 3 will raise funds for Jeet Kune Flow open mic/open floor

every Sunday in K-Town LA (since 2004)

http://www.myspace.com/jeetkuneflow

jkf_flyer.jpg

Guest orienkorean

If you guys wanna check out some good recent underground hip hop, listen to Monsoon Nui. Reminds me of back when Garion actually maintained that underground sound.

Guest orienkorean

What about Jiggy Fellaz?

I've just heard their Exclusive Compilation album and I really like it!

i thought that was an awful album. my favourite track on that is "Who's That" by Dead'P. that annoys me because i hate Dead'P.

Guest MateoMathis

Ghetto Musik is K-Town Los Angeles' biggest underground korean hip hop concert

Dumbfoundead at Ghetto Musik 1 (1995), BSBC, K-Town LA

http://www.asiaticempire.org/dfdghetto.jpg

Furis at Ghetto Musik Remix (1996), BSBC, K-Town LA

http://www.asiaticempire.org/Furis%20at%20...205%20small.jpg

GHETTO MUSIK 3

Sat, April 14

Vision Art Hall, K-Town LA

http://www.asiaticempire.org/ghettomusik3.jpg

Ghetto Musik 3 will raise funds for Jeet Kune Flow open mic/open floor

every Sunday in K-Town LA (since 2004)

http://www.myspace.com/jeetkuneflow

http://www.asiaticempire.org/jkf_flyer.jpg

Wow, the audience is like all asians. :/ I can understand if the event was held in Korea or something, but that thing is in the United States, isn't it? Or is that the whole point?

Wow, the audience is like all asians. :/ I can understand if the event was held in Korea or something, but that thing is in the United States, isn't it? Or is that the whole point?

Haha that's just pretty much how it is..holding an event in K-town is almost like holding it in Korea; it's its own little enclosed autonomous community ^^ For the concerts I've been to (which I heard about online or from friends), I was probably one out of 10 non-Asians in the audience =P

<3Stephanie

Archived