Korean Hip-Hop

Guest Plissken

Anyone hear about Mild Beats?

Mild Beats, the producer from Bigdeal Records.

He's good.

His beats are too dark and grimey for my taste though.

But if I feel the need to get away from mainstream tunes and club bangers,

I'll listen to his music every once in a while.

IF YOU HATE BIG BANG SO DAMN MUCH THEN john teshING STOP CHECKING ON THE DAMN THREADS! I KNOW YOU BE CHECKING UP ON THE THREADS CUZ IF YOU DIDN'T, HOW YOU KNOW THEY BE WEARING BAPE?!!?! PLUS, BAPE AIN'T ALL THEY WEAR SO TALK WHAT YOU KNOW. AND JUST CUZ THEY NOT ALL HIDEOUS AND mini cooper, THEY 'LITTLE PRETTY BOYS' NOW!? WTF?!

oh yeah, aren't you all guys hating too? jealous?

so if YG ugly, then they'd be considered real hip hop huh?

ugly as hell and ain't sellin no muhjohn teshin records, then thas what yall would like.

if they can afford that bape/etc mini cooper, them let them wear it.

worry about yours. let them handle theirs.

mini cooper, all this cussin gon raise my warn to 80 and mini cooper...

AGRHBAKJSNAKJL!

hatin richard simmons muhjohn teshers these days.

-Bee

You see... some people don't like boy groups such as Big Bang.

Not because they are pretty boys or the clothes they wear.

But because of fans like you who don't understand their musical ability and focused only on how they look

and dances on stage and quick to bash others for not sharing the same level of love as you do.

I for once happen to enjoy Big Bang and their music.

Especially G-Dragon since I followed his career before he joined YG.

Question, if G-Dragon got into an accident and became awfully hideous,

would you still love and worship him as much as you do now?

Another question.

Since you seem to be G-Dragon's No.1 fan, please share your knowledge about G-Dragon's prior

experience before he became famous with Big Bang.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest plusone

IF YOU HATE BIG BANG SO DAMN MUCH THEN john teshING STOP CHECKING ON THE DAMN THREADS! I KNOW YOU BE CHECKING UP ON THE THREADS CUZ IF YOU DIDN'T, HOW YOU KNOW THEY BE WEARING BAPE?!!?! PLUS, BAPE AIN'T ALL THEY WEAR SO TALK WHAT YOU KNOW. AND JUST CUZ THEY NOT ALL HIDEOUS AND mini cooper, THEY 'LITTLE PRETTY BOYS' NOW!? WTF?!

oh yeah, aren't you all guys hating too? jealous?

so if YG ugly, then they'd be considered real hip hop huh?

ugly as hell and ain't sellin no muhjohn teshin records, then thas what yall would like.

if they can afford that bape/etc mini cooper, them let them wear it.

worry about yours. let them handle theirs.

mini cooper, all this cussin gon raise my warn to 80 and mini cooper...

AGRHBAKJSNAKJL!

hatin richard simmons muhjohn teshers these days.

-Bee

well actually i don't really check on the big bang thread

i didnt suggest they wore bape, nor did i know whether they wore it or not

anyway you don't have to be ugly to be a musician, i did not say that nor did i imply that

what i mean is that yg is filled with people who are good looking rather than musically talented

looks and talent are not synonymous, you can have one or the other or both, but one doesnt imply the other

and if yg was ugly, they wouldn't be real hip hop, they'd just be out of business. xcept of course, maybe big mama cuz they actually have talent

of course i could be wrong about them being in yg... or was it m-boat? or was m-boat related to yg? not sure

Guest A180585

I think most of you guys have a serious misunderstanding or misconception about YG. Of course that's not your fault and all considering you probably don't follow the company and their activities, but saying they're all about looks and not talent is really wrong.

Firstly, YG is not all good looking. If you compare them to the artists from other companies, YG artists are pretty much average looking people. (of course some might beg to differ). But that's the honest truth.

Some of you might not know, YG artists are required to perform LIVE all the time. Concerts, music show performances and so forth. If you were talentless, i doubt that's possible. Also, YG are more R&B/Hip hop instead of straight out hip hop like some of the underground artists and singing ability is an important thing in the company.

You're so quick to judge based on outside appearance and won't actually look closer to see if they have talent or not. Please don't criticise on people you don't know. It's one of the reasons why the fans fight back. Because some of you think it's so 'cool' to bash on YG just because others do it and it's the 'cool' thing to do. Seriously, grow up.

And system...you seem to be confused. You enjoy Big Bang's music yet you think they don't have musical abilities? Please don't criticise the fans of Big Bang for not being able to judge if they are musically capable or not. Mind you, they ARE musically capable. Some fans don't mindlessly go and worship these guys. Don't generalise us cause it's so wrong.

As for whether we would like them if they're butt ugly? Yes. We like their music. Tiger JK isn't very good looking, i like him. DD are not all that great on the eyes, i like them. Why? Because i like their music. Big Bang are not even good looking to begin with. They're not pretty boys not are they gorgeous. So looks isn't even an issue. Why stereotype? Just because there's 5 of them, they know how to dance then you slap on the 'boy band' label on them? You saying New Edition, Boyz II Men, Blackstreet are all 'boy bands'? Come on.

And system...you seem to be confused. You enjoy Big Bang's music yet you think they don't have musical abilities? Please don't criticise the fans of Big Bang for not being able to judge if they are musically capable or not. Mind you, they ARE musically capable. Some fans don't mindlessly go and worship these guys. Don't generalise us cause it's so wrong.

You seem to be confused.

Please read my post again.

Where did I say that Big Bang don't have musical abilities?

I said the fans who don't understand their musical ability causes people to turn away from groups like Big Bang.

You're right about some fans don't midlessly go and worship these guys such as yourself.

But the fact of the matter is there are many fans who do mindlessly go and worship them.

Not just Big Bang, but various boy-bands in the industry.

Most of these girls don't know anything about vocalization, rhymes, 16 bars, composition, producing, etc.

It would be great if they had more fans like you who is able to see them for their talent, not their looks.

Guest uiyoltan

Mild Beats, the producer from Bigdeal Records.

He's good.

His beats are too dark and grimey for my taste though.

But if I feel the need to get away from mainstream tunes and club bangers,

I'll listen to his music every once in a while.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, his beats are a little dark, but he's still ok. Not sure what you mean by grimey...

Guest GDlovesBEE

[Question, if G-Dragon got into an accident and became awfully hideous,

would you still love and worship him as much as you do now?

Another question.

Since you seem to be G-Dragon's No.1 fan, please share your knowledge about G-Dragon's prior

experience before he became famous with Big Bang.

YES I WOULD. how dare you try to question me, mang.

sounds like you're just mad b/c ppl like his looks too.

when did appearance get dragged into this? jealous richard simmons muhjohn tesher.

AND WHERE THE john tesh DID I PUT THAT I AM GD'S #1 FAN?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR KNOWLEDGE ABOUT WHERE YOU FOUND THAT MUHjohn teshIN KNOWLEDGE.

Most of these girls don't know anything about vocalization, rhymes, 16 bars, composition, producing, etc.

DUDE. MOST OF THE FANS IN THE WORLD, OF ALL KIND OF MUSIC, DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THAT. WE AIN'T THE TALENTED ONES --- THEY IS! THAT'S WHY WE LOVE THEM, DAMMIT. SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU JUST JEALOUS, WHY DON'T YOU JUST QUIT IT. THAS WHY I NEVER COME UP IN THIS UNDERGROUND SECTION. EVERYONE ACTS LIKE THEY'RE A MUSICAL ELISTIST. ALL PRETENTIOUS AND WHATNOT!

Guest the7REAL.

You seem to be confused.

Please read my post again.

Where did I say that Big Bang don't have musical abilities?

I said the fans who don't understand their musical ability causes people to turn away from groups like Big Bang.

You're right about some fans don't midlessly go and worship these guys such as yourself.

But the fact of the matter is there are many fans who do mindlessly go and worship them.

Not just Big Bang, but various boy-bands in the industry.

It would be great if they had more fans like you who is able to see them for their talent, not their looks.

I wasn't originally going to butt in this..but...ehh...couldn't help it. -__-; But I just wanted to know, what does it matter to you the kinds of fans they get anyways? It's not like it has anything to do with you in the first place as if you are the artist or anything. Is it safe to say that it just 'annoys you'? I dunno....just wondering. :blink: But anyways, as far as the fans who only go for looks, well that's their deal, and I'm sorry if it deters anyone from actually giving certain groups a chance, like Big Bang, but people should really just put all that on the backburner and see for themselves whether they like a group or not, and not base it on how the majority of fans 'seem'. And it's not like I can help it either as a fellow Big Bang fan that there are other fans who aren't looking at the most important things such as what you mentioned, of course, musical talent. I guess its personal preference, people will like, what they like.

I'll admit it, when I first heard of Big Bang I thought they were just a 'Boy Band', but that's because I only saw pictures of them and what-not and I found out about them because I am an avid YG Family fan, and noticed that GD and YB<3 were going to be in it, though I thought they would originally debut as a duo again. But then I started listening to their singles and from there sparked an interest, because I was diggin the beats and flows..and YB's VOICE (that I didn't know he had in him! O_O) & Daesung's VOICE...it wasn't till I actually saw them in concert that my fandom exploded out of me. Live music. The voices. The dancing. @_@ They have crazy talent as far as musical ability and dancing and everything...its very much there....and the energy they bring is refreshing. Needless to say, thats when I did more digging in on them, their documentary(fell in love with them personality-wise as well) and everything...I just love them now, so my defense of them in here is nothing personal..I just wanted to speak my mind on this like everyone else..

Looks, well, okay I'll admit it, (But ssshhh I wanna forget this fact.. :sweatingbullets: )I didn't think very much of them at first until, again, my fandom for them grew, so every time I look at them, they grow more attractive in my eyes. Without the talent, I'd just think they were just a bunch of..well...average looking Asian guys...@_@ (aahhhh except for YB..lol im sorry but I love him, I can't help it...-_-;)Take away the looks, and they are still a beautiful and talented group in my eyes at least. The more I listen to them, the more I love them. I originally was already a fan of GD and YB, but in each member of BB I start to see elements that I like, and what they bring to the group to make it so whole. It's the music and the way they go about presenting themselves that appeals. I'm not one of those fans you mentioned that are just looking for another pretty face. In fact, YG has helped me to realize that the reason why I like this whole company over others because they do have those 'hip hop' and R&B elements that I like so much. (even if others don't think they are 'hip hop' -_-;) Otherwise, I don't think I would have gotten into Korean music at all..(well maybe if I discovered that I really like Korean Ballads! :D hmmm)....wow this is long...T_T; I try to listen to other groups/companies that are even more pop-like, but it just doesn't stick with me as much... o-o

anyways, if you'd ask me if I thought Big Bang was hot...shoo, I won't lie...."HELL YES." it's already etched into my mind...I'm sorry..I can't help it. T_T ask some of my friends if they think they are hot...they'd say "HELL NO." T_T; because they've never listened to their music or know anything about them. one person's trash is another's treasure! ^__^V

oh and if they ever were permanently scarred in the face or became 'hideous' somehow, hey as long as they still have TALENT, I would still love them and stay up late to catch their latest performance even though i could download it later, and listen to the same small amount of singles that they have right now on repeat, like i usually would. XP though i hope it wont effect their positive attitudes... :tears:

Anyways, I don't 'like' their music, i LOVE it. sadly, i listen to them everyday. :crazy: I'm addicted. btw have you heard YB sing!?!? an R&B angel. *___*

Ouch, sorry this was so DAMN long and if it brought down the mood in this thread. @_@ I just naturally type alot. And yes, I am aware that this is extremely 'fan-packed'. T_T I'm sure you'll find a point somewhere in the above. good luck. :mellow:

BTW, what underground hip hop groups would you guys recommend to start out from?

BTW, what underground hip hop groups would you guys recommend to start out from?

Thank you =sagacious lyn=.

Your post was very insightful.

Unlike someone above, you are able to express your passion for the group

and display it in a respectable manner with a great level of maturity.

As a fan of Big Bang, I don't like the idea of being associated with mindless-airheads

who can't control their love for the artists and result in displaying a low-backlash to those

who disagree with them and unable to voice their opinions with constructive arguments.

So yes, it does annoy me to a certain extent but not enough to lose my sleep over it. :P

But you're right though.

It is to each own's personal preference for liking the artist and being a fan.

I just wanted to express my point of view and share it among others.

Which is apparently not a wise decision to do at a K-Pop forum.

I believe a company like YG Entertainment is necessary for the Korean music industry.

They were able to bring hip-hop/R&B elements to a wider mainstream audience and in return,

the underground scene was able to step up their game and emerge from the shadows

and show a genre of hip-hop/R&B that is non-mainstream, in other words, underground.

Now, a lot of hip-hop heads will disagree with me when I say YG is hip-hop/R&B.

Because just like hardcore fans of boy-bands, they are too stubborn to open up their ears

and listen to the music for what it is, but quick to judge for only what they see with their eyes.

Granted that YG artists also perform pop music, it is a given fact.

Groups like JinuSean and 1TYM always had pop music in their albums as well as

a good number of impressive hip-hop/R&B tracks.

Sure, their lifestyle might not fit the ideal "hip-hop" perspective as others would imagine

but that shouldn't result in judging a dope hip-hop track as just another pop music.

As a side note, I was surprised as well when Big Bang was first announced because

I always thought YG was going to put G-Dragon and YB Taekwon as duo just like JinuSean.

I was more surprised back in 2001 when YG signed G-Dragon.

The first time I heard G-Dragon was the hip-hop compilation album "2001 대한민국 HIP HOP FLEX".

It was a compilation album put together by 이희성 who was the leader of the group X-Teen.

이희성 found G-Dragon and put him on the album at the age of 13.

I thought it was great that Korea had a young rap artist just like US had Lil Bow Wow at that time.

For a 13 year old, he was decent and had good potential in becoming a great rap artist.

After the release of this album, 이희성 was working on G-Dragon's first debut album,

but out of the blue, the news spread that G-Dragon signed a deal with YG.

G-Dragon appeared as a featured guest in many YG albums and as years went by,

his rap skills improved significantly as well.

When G-Dragon and YB Taekwon did the track "저 높은 곳에 펼쳐" on YG FAMILY 2 compilation album,

I assumed YG was dead set on putting them together and forming a two-member group.

Well, the rest is history.

Let me finish by recommending some undergound hip-hop groups as you requested.

Master Plan Production

Most famous artist from this label would be without a doubt Joosuc.

He has became more of a mainstream artist nowadays though.

His old music was dark and heavy, but as he grew as a rapper and a producer,

his music style progressed to appeal the mainstream audience as well as the underground scene.

If you listen to his recent albums, Superior - Vol. 1 and Vol. 2, it has a good mixture of club bangers,

mid-tempo love songs, and hard hitting underground tracks.

Another artist, or group I should say is Infinite Flow.

Their EP was a critically acclaimed album that was loved by the k-hip-hop scene.

The 1st album is... how should I say... unique.

With the production by dj soulscape, the 1st album is musically at its best,

but maybe somewhat hard to digest.

He is also working on their 2nd album with Pe2ny and Epik High, scheduled to release this December.

Soul Company

Probably the most popular underground label currently in Korea.

The CEO of the label, Kebee has a solo album as well as a project album with Minos from the group Virus.

Their music is very chill and laid-back.

Not the type of club banging mainstream music.

If YG has Perry as their in-house producer, Soul Company has The Quiett.

He has a solo album, an instrumental album, as well as a project album with Paloalto called Supremacy.

Bigdeal Records

This label produces more of a heavy-dark underground tracks.

As mentioned in my previous post, they have Mild Beats as their producer as well as Loptimist.

The main artists from this label would be Addsp2ch and Dead P.

If you want to hear some raw-uncut-beat-banging underground music, this would be it.

I guess my post is just as long as yours. :lol:

Guest A180585

=sagacious lyn= - thank you!!! Very well said. You just helped me explain (very well btw) what i mean by people who don't like certain groups just for their looks. Very true about how these guys grow to become attractive in their own ways in the eyes of their fans. :D

system - my bad, i misread your comment. I would like to see more fans of hip hop like you. To embrace ALL of hip hop. just not the hardcore stuff. Though I really feel sad because people get a bad impression of certain groups just because of their fans. Other fans that appreciate their music can't control who likes these groups. Those who haven't heard about the group or haven't had a chance to listen to their music should not base their judgment on the group based on the fanbase. You sould really only trust your own judgments not by the appearance on the outside. But some people are so blinded and like you said, way too stubborn.

Now, a lot of hip-hop heads will disagree with me when I say YG is hip-hop/R&B.

Because just like hardcore fans of boy-bands, they are too stubborn to open up their ears

and listen to the music for what it is, but quick to judge for only what they see with their eyes.

Granted that YG artists also perform pop music, it is a given fact.

Groups like JinuSean and 1TYM always had pop music in their albums as well as

a good number of impressive hip-hop/R&B tracks.

Sure, their lifestyle might not fit the ideal "hip-hop" perspective as others would imagine

but that shouldn't result in judging a dope hip-hop track as just another pop music.

Thank you. Music is music. Appreciate what is good. No need to get into too much detail.

Guest the7REAL.

system

^Nah, your post was longer. :P *phew* I seriously thought you were going to chew me up and spit me back out with your reply to my post...lol. :ph34r::sweatingbullets: But, thanks for taking the time to read it though, and was able to, I hope, get something out of it. Thanks for the positive feedback. :)

Anyways, I'll be sure to check out some or all of the groups/artist that you recommended, though I think it will be quite a task to find songs from them, since they are 'underground'. I don't know where to start looking! haha...but I will do my usual digging up info, and will be back here to tell of my experience in listening to the raw sounds of Korean 'Hip Hop'. I'm sure it'll be a interesting experience, as I am all ears to anything. ^^; Peace & Much Respect to you. *makes fobby V sign*

-Jerilyn

Guest GDlovesBEE

system i see how you like to ignore my questions. that's good. skip over things you don't have answers for. meanwhile, QUIT QUESTIONING ME. i'm not stubborn nor blinded; i just don't like people questioning me.

Guest uiyoltan

lol just out of curiousity... is gansta rap nonexistent in Korea? IS there even hardcore rap? You know, NWA/Dr. Dre-type raps with frequent gunshot noises incorporated into the beats... ya know... drugs, sex, money, murder all day...

Not that I like gansta rap though. Just curious... :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback. ;)

Glad we didn't lowered ourselves like a child by cussing each other out.

Having a normal discussion like a civilized human being is possible for all of us.

lol just out of curiousity... is gansta rap nonexistent in Korea? IS there even hardcore rap? You know, NWA/Dr. Dre-type raps with frequent gunshot noises incorporated into the beats... ya know... drugs, sex, money, murder all day...

Not that I like gansta rap though. Just curious... :rolleyes:

I don't believe there is any reason for Korean hip-hop artists to create gangsta rap.

Anybody can mimick a beat that sounds like some hardcore gangsta rap music.

But they weren't brought up in the ghetto and they haven't sold drugs, been to jail or even held a gun for that matter.

You could pretend to be all hard and gangsta-ish, but that would be a flat out lie for most Koreans.

What kind of gangsta rap element can they possibly rap about if they haven't experienced it?

I guess they could talk about getting into fights, teachers beating them up in school, hoes and richard simmons at 588, etc.

However they still lack the street credit to become a gangsta rap artist.

Atleast rappers in US have some rap-sheet to establish themselves as so-called-gangsta-rap.

Even that from my point of view is just another publicity stunt to raise album sales.

Guest uiyoltan

I don't believe there is any reason for Korean hip-hop artists to create gangsta rap.

Anybody can mimick a beat that sounds like some hardcore gangsta rap music.

But they weren't brought up in the ghetto and they haven't sold drugs, been to jail or even held a gun for that matter.

You could pretend to be all hard and gangsta-ish, but that would be a flat out lie for most Koreans.

What kind of gangsta rap element can they possibly rap about if they haven't experienced it?

I guess they could talk about getting into fights, teachers beating them up in school, hoes and richard simmons at 588, etc.

However they still lack the street credit to become a gangsta rap artist.

Atleast rappers in US have some rap-sheet to establish themselves as so-called-gangsta-rap.

Even that from my point of view is just another publicity stunt to raise album sales.

Well, there are slums in Korea. There are drug dealers in pretty much any country. You don't have to have a gun in order to be a gangster (although having one would be useful, and just because they're illegal, it doesn't mean that they can't get their hands on them). There are hoes in every country... Theres always money...

In my opinion, the hardcore/gansta rappers exist. They just are largely ignored and overshadowed by the mainstream rappers. Most people don't have a CLUE (myself included) about where all the hardcore/gansta rappers are. And I just realized one gansta rapper right under my face... Seo Taiji! (duh)

Of course, I'm not advocating gansta rap or anything (in fact, gansta rap is one of my least fav subgenres of rap). Its just my sad attempt to explore the diversity of Korean rap. :rolleyes:

Guest A180585

^^^ i think they're not allowed such type of rap in Korea LOL....the censorship there is REALLY harsh. You can't say 'orgasm' on tele...lol...so i think anything that somewhat suggests or implies violence or issues such as sex, drugs etc...can't be aired? Probably why we haven't heard/seen anything of the sort.

Everything like that is either taken off air or done underground. I guess that's the thing about Asian countries. Harsh and strict rules to obey?

Ann-

Guest Childlike Faith

I like this thread. It's very insightful.

I'm a Big Bang/YG fans, lol. (Obviously.) I love YG, but I've thought they weren't really... hiphop, more pop, but I liked it like that. I felt the music they were making wasn't real? But like you mentioned, I don't think Korean hip hop would survive if YG were not here making the music they are now. And if YG aren't "real," you can't deny they're talented. They do try, they always give their best.

What I've read has changed my perspective a little. I still love YG Family, but I've tasted underground, and I want more! Heh. So I came here to get some recommendations and never thought I'd see Big Bang's name here! Really... Big Bang in Korea is like B2K in America. xD Well a little better. Big Bang's somewhere close. :) T.O.P. was part of underground before he debuted. YG has undergound artists. M-Boat is pretty much part of YG. As for the pretty boys thing, Big Bang boys aren't pretty!! -cough-

There really shouldn't be any arguments between mainstream and underground fans!!! The music and the fans aren't exactly the same. And from my own experience, underground artists and fans are a bit more.. I dunno the word... knowledged? Hardcore? No one says you can't like both though.

I think that... hip hop in Korea is still a baby, lol. People like Epik High are part of the transition; moving hip hop to mainstream helps the public understand hip hop better. Though honestly, becoming mainstream does change the group/music in some way, can't deny it, Epik High has changed, but it's still deep. Songwriters like Tablo really put a lot of meaning behind their music, and I like that. Well... Tablo and Epik High just want to put meaning behind their music, right? Pop or not?

So far, I've only listened to MC Sniper, Drunken Tiger, Epik High and a few other groups apart of the Movement. Okay... it's really hard finding K-underground!!!! How do you guys find the music? It's pretty hard finding underground music at a Korean music store. xD

• Guest unpinned this topic

Archived