Lee Min Ho ♥ 이민호 ♥ ィミンホ ♥ 李敏鎬 Pachinko Season 2 Aug 23 on Apple TV+; Upcoming Drama 2025: Ask the Stars; Upcoming movie 2025: Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint

CarolynH

@adamfever
I am extremely bad in describing how I feel about anything but I will try my best to convey what's in my head (if there is any).
*Warning* - this might become a long novel... I think I shall put it in spoiler tag :))

- Is LMH is an excellent actor?
Yes he is. There is not many actor I know that could convey emotions with his eyes. I started getting really impressed with his acting in City Hunter. If you want to see this man acts with his eyes, I suggest to watch in HD and sit in front of the screen to get the full effect of it all. Let his eyes speak to you. Other than that, he's an all-rounder actor I believe. He acts with his voice as well and he even acts "pain" well. As sadistic as this may sound, he makes acting pain believable on-screen and I love seeing him in pain :))

- What scenes from his dramas you find memorable/impressive?
If you had asked me before I watched Faith, I would have quoted City Hunter. But now, it would be Faith. His character - Choi Young is a stoic and silent kind of character so it is up to him to use his face, eyes and body to convey to audiences what message he wants to give to us.

In episode 9, he gave me that performance when he went to Ki Chul's house and Eun Soo grabbed his sleeves. He has no lines but look closely at his face, his eyes and even his adam's apple plays a part in it! He was overflowing with emotions and leaves me dying to know what went on in his head at that exact moment until now. I'm waiting very patiently for the novel to tell me, seriously!

Then there's this scene in episode 23 where Eun Soo drank the antidote... the look on his face, the worries, the longings, the I-wish-I-could-be-in-her-place-to-suffer-for-her-instead... he should have been given an Oscar for Faith :((
---------
As for City Hunter, the first thing that came into my mind was him vs Mr. President at the later episode. His speech about his faith for the country.

Because of faith. The faith that citizens have that the politicians they elect will act in good conscience. The faith that soldiers who enlist to protect their country have that their country will protect them. The faith that universities will turn out talented people, for the sake of our next generation. The faith that businesses will both suffer with and grow alongside their workers. And the faith of twenty-one men who were promised by their country to be met off the shores of Nampo. Protecting that faith is my cause.”  - credit to Dramabeans.

After this speech, the president calls out "Yoon Sung-ah" and apologies.
Watch his facial expression closely... first he was stunned, then he looked sad and then his face turned into determination & he tells himself to toughen up and walked out. No dialogues whatsoever but this is what I got from his face and eyes.

>>> I don't want to spoiler you as I'm not sure if you had seen City Hunter. Another thing is, I think over the years his acting has matured tremendously and compared to BOF and PT, I much prefer his current style. I feel that his acting for both dramas in there are more on a shallow and surface kind rather than the deep kind in CH and Faith. It's my opinion of course :D

- Is LMH very strong?
Errrrr..... ahhhhhh....  I think it depends on the weight of the person he is carrying! :))
I reckon he can carry a 40 - 45 kg but not more than that. He's only like 70kg+ at the moment!

- Among Korean actors and actresses, LMH seems to have the biggest international appeal. What in him that make him attractive to the non-Korean community, do you think?
I am not so sure. His good looks & height are definitely the ultimate advantage there. The fact that his feature is nothing like the typical Korean that could be what is appealing to the international fans and that he was lucky to land on the role in BOF, which has already been made famous around the globe by the Taiwanese F4 so everyone is hyped up about it and paid extra attention to him.

That said, my attention only turned to him in City Hunter. I wasn't into him in BOF, I was captivated by Kim Hyun Joong instead =))

@shenny - Your turn! :P

bf9b61e0jw1e91c4q8oapj20rs0s40up.jpg

bf9b61e0jw1e91c4tkpmvj20rs15oacm.jpg
bf9b61e0jw1e91c4u217sj20rs15o409.jpg

credit: as tagged

Mianhe @guadi, this boy is still wearing the cap backwards! ;))
I want to share with you, @Anomalous & others something I've read, a fan account. Bring your ears closer...

According to her, when the Ramada hotel staff delivered flowers up to LMH's room on the 3rd floor - he was half naked and only covered with a towel! =(( I think we are seriously in the wrong profession! :(( :(( :((

@jjsweeter0211 @ilwo_aein

I can't stop starring at his pictures, wearing blue diving suits, look awesome, so manly.. :x :x :x

I keep coming to page 1349 :D :D :D

Wae???

everyhting about him is just perfect ...! ~~ can't even stop staring  to his photos T_T.~!! and wht really kill me this staring with a fan T_T...!! how could she still alive ><!! she's freaking freaking lucky xD ... in2UVCWBefQmm.jpg
@guadi me too wanna read the interview so badly T_T.. & yeah It's my tumblr ^^ it's almost all about him na !? 

@LorenHaze,it's true. according to Monika,he pretend to be cool. starz4life vid showing that they did it. for me & Monika,he's "a little boy" (a boy trapped in 27th years old man).
Well,bravo for all American stalkers for all their great job (too bad,some of them ended with a fight after they stalked him in San Diego).

viewimage.php?id=20b4de2eea&no=29bcc427b
Lee Min Ho: Aargghhhh ~ I forgot to tell you all this...

Lee Min Ho: "I Love you"
Sia3: "RS claimed" *smoooooochhhhh*
Lee Min Ho got my smooches, so he's all shy =)) =)) =))

Okay okay, I made that all up (obviously)! I think this is the part he's trying to teach the Japanese minoz how to say "I love you" in Filipino? Right @Maja? >>> *ahem* I haven't seen the vid yet.

credit as tagged

sia3 said:Lee Min Ho: Aargghhhh ~ I forgot to tell you all this...
Lee Min Ho: "I Love you"

Okay okay, I made that all up (obviously)! I think this is the part he's trying to teach the Japanese minoz how to say "I love you" in Filipino? Right @Maja? >>> *ahem* I haven't seen the vid yet.

Guest Anomalous

sia3 said: Mianhe guadi, this boy is still wearing the cap backwards! ;))
I want to share with you, Anomalous & others something I've read, a fan account. Bring your ears closer...

According to her, when the Ramada hotel staff delivered flowers up to LMH's room on the 3rd floor - he was half naked and only covered with a towel! =(( I think we are seriously in the wrong profession! :(( :(( :((

:(( :(( :(( :(
Dear 10 + Asia, I know you took a lot of pictures of his hotness. So....give-it-to-me.gif
I want HD of these pictures :(( :(( :(
Lee Min-ho for 10 + Asia (Mag scan/edit)
bd937db8jw1e91jil6n87j20lc0zkac5.jpg

be30cae7tw1e91icm0ujfj20lc0zkaf8.jpgbe30cae7tw1e91icnbmdpj20lc0zkafr.jpgbe30cae7tw1e91ico6nnsj20qo18ggvj.jpgbe30cae7tw1e91iawodvij20k90svgp5.jpgbe30cae7tw1e91iaxeyqtj20qo18g7cb.jpgbe30cae7tw1e91iayc16rj20qo18gaj2.jpg

So handsome [爱你][爱你][爱你][爱你][爱你][爱你][爱你][爱你]
(cr. Nunbit_Suda and as labelled)

I think this interview is part of 10+Asia photoshoot. It was published via Naver a couple days ago in Korean and now we got the English translation:
[brave Talk] Star Lee Min-ho VS Actor Lee Min-ho 

If Lee Min-ho had not appeared on KBS2 drama series 'Boys over Flowers' (2009) as Gu Jun-pyo, what would he have been doing?  

A star and an actor are inextricably linked but sometimes they are far apart. People sometimes see a star a slightly different way from they see an actor. Those who are lucky enough to be called both a star and an actor should properly deal with the different ways of viewing them, which is sometimes tiring.

Lee Min-ho is also one of those who are lucky but tired. It is very interesting to ask, "What if he had not been the character Gu Jun-pyo, which helped Lee Min-ho become a top star and served as a reference to many new actors as the best character for a romantic comedy genre?" Lee Min-ho confessed that he had already asked himself the question, “What if I had not played Gu Jun-pyo?”

‘Brave Talk’ now begins to talk about how the star Lee Min-ho and the actor Lee Min-ho coexist. 

# Star Lee Min-ho=Face of a prince

Lee Min-ho is a star. He is an undisputable top star. ‘Boys over Flowers’ was not a widely-touted drama show. It recorded the viewership rating of over 30%, enjoying a syndrome-like popularity. It is true that the drama show guaranteed success to some extent but it actually achieved better results than expected. At the core of the achievement was Lee Min-ho, who played Gu Jun-pyo in the drama.  

Gu Jun-pyo was a man that women have no choice but to fall in love with. He was a man from a super-rich family who has everything with a handsome face. He had loneliness inside even though he acts like a picky person. He had a pure love for only one woman. The character was the essence of the fantasy of all women. In fact, all the elements were taken from the original cartoon, which had already been a Bible for teenaged girls for years before the airing of the drama.

The high popularity of the original work should have served as a disadvantage. There was a concern about several new actors including Lee Min-ho when the drama was about to premiere. However, Lee Min-ho, who appeared like a comet, succeeded to bring back to real life Gu Jun-pyo who only lived in the imagination of many girls.

His handsome but unusual face played a big part. His face looked masculine but sensitive, and strong but tender at the same time. It had a subtle charm that cannot be simply defined as a handsome man. His face finally met the character Gu Jun-pyo and helped Lee Min-ho fulfill his potential to the fullest.

Gu Jun-pyo’s fierceness repeated in Lee Min-ho’s filmography. Yun-seong from ‘City Hunter’ or General Choi Yeong from ‘Faith’ face a crisis and disappear at the ending and then show up as a savior of a main female character like prince on a white horse. In other words, his characters leave the impression similar to Gu Jun-pyo.

However, I am not saying that the repetition was boring. Instead, his solid star quality was proven in that he continued to succeed to deliver the fantasy for viewers even with such repetition.

There are other factors in his consistent popularity of five years. The diligent career he built step by step to be on top, the attitude to try to be humble and not to be arrogant, and his reputation as a loyal person may be the most important factors that allow him to stay as an extremely lovable star who impresses people by just being with them and being watched by them. 

# Actor Lee Min-ho = 7 years of experience and then…

Lee Min-ho is an actor. He could appear on ‘Boys over Flowers’ which made him a big star since he decided to choose the career path of an actor. It was obvious that many actors aimed for the character Gu Jun-pyo, which guaranteed success to some extent, but producer Jeon Ki-sang picked Lee Min-ho with low awareness for Gu Jun-pyo, not an idol star. It was possible because the producer trusted Lee Min-ho as an actor.

It was in 2009 when he started to be in the spotlight, but he debuted three years before in 2006. It was in 2002 when he started to build his acting career by playing a small role.

Over seven years of experience became a growth engine for him. Lee Min-ho said, “I still think that it was fortunate that I came to play Gu Jun-pyo after experiencing ups and downs before. If I had met Gu Jun-pyo without any experience, I would not have passed the audition, of course. And I would not have been able to play Gu Jun-pyo properly. My experience helped me become Gu Jun-pyo.”

Wait a second. Let’s think about Lee Min-ho on TV. He is an actor who does not exaggerate when he plays his character, which is a feature of a drama genre (The trend has been weaker these days, though). When it comes to a drama, each scene has to convey the intention of a character unlike in a movie. That is why actors act in an exaggerated way. However, Lee Min-ho’s acting is calm and stable like in a movie. He said that he tries to naturally assimilate himself to his character. (Me: I like this part. Personally I can't stand overacting. Critics like to say he's wooden, but I see his acting style a lot more understated, very calm and stable as the article puts it. He acts in a very assured way that you know his character always gets things under control and that is definitely more manly and swoon-worthy. Makes the female's heart flutters and mesmerized at the same time, hehehehe)

What about his filmography? Since ‘Boys over Flowers’, he has appeared on a drama every year such as ‘Personal Taste’, ‘City Hunter’, and ‘Faith’. He is not a prolific actor, but he appeared on different genres. He has tried to seek change in many different genres such as romance, action, historical drama, and school drama.  (Me: This is the part where some people often forget, he actually hasn't done that many roles since BOF. Four dramas in four years are not that much for an actor, so he still has something he needs to improve. I do, however, like that for every role he takes, the characters are vastly different. That's why I'm not agreeing with people who say he's returning to his comfort zone with Heirs because we really know nothing of the character - emotions, his state of mind, personality, etc...) 

Now, he is filming SBS drama series Those Who Want the Crown, Withstand the Weight of it - The Heirs’ written by the star writer Kim Eun-suk. He is considering appearing on director Yu Ha’s movie ‘Gangnam Blues’. (Me: I've come across a few comments questioning why he's acting in Heirs because in their minds, this show is like every other Korean show out there. So to all those who question, put yourself in his shoes, Kim Eun-sook is not a nobody in Korea. She is one of the most highly regarded drama script-writers in her country along with the likes of Noh Hee-kyung, Lee Kyun-hee, Kim Soo-hyun. KES has worked with literally everyone who is famous in K-Ent. I don't think that many people would turn down the opportunity to work with her. She's at the top of the food chain, so maybe there is something about her work that Korean viewers like)

He plays a high school student again like in ‘Boys over Flower’ on ‘The Heirs’, but the writer Kim Eun-suk is expected to maximize his character. The film noir‘ Gangnam Blues’ is highly likely to be Lee Min-ho’s turning point as an actor.  (Me: the article seems very sure that he will take on that role)

Lee Min-ho with a solid star quality and a great potential as an actor does not seem to be in a hurry to move his center of gravity. He may have looked like a rookie that appeared out of nowhere like a comet to the public, but he was relaxed enough to be aloof about how others see him since he became a star based on a firm and solid foundation.

Lee Min-ho, who pursues natural acting, says that there is still a long way to go. He thinks that it is more desirable to develop himself naturally than to make an intentional choice to remove his star image in haste.

Lee Min-ho will expand his abilities little by little. Anyone would be curious about his world to be expanded. (Me: I like these last two sentences. He's aware of what he needs to do to get to the next step)

Written by Bae Seon-yeong (TenAsia) 
Photograph from KBS, SBS, Starhaus Entertainment

Source: Naver Starcast

Guest shantipriya

did someone dare to pluck Minho's brows for the 10 + Asia photoshoot?!?! or I'm being delusional and halucinating... question: if yes, WHY would anyone do that to a masterpiece?

Guest shantipriya

about the whole "Heirs" fuss and my PoV:

I do believe that every k-drama follows the same exact pattern and I know that at some point I will feel bored and move on to looking for those which are different. tbh, repetition is something that kills everything in me and I completely started hating horror movies for it, since the base of all horror/thriller movies also follows a pattern (question, answer, development, culmination) and basically you know how a movie will turn out after 5 minutes in. I do still admire those who express and show some creativity and twist the general pattern so you get lost and surprised at the end. in my native language, literature calls this "the underwater drift". sometimes it's shown as the viewer/reader gets bombarded with dual characters who might be responsible for the main event, but that's just so the author can take your attention of the one who's really the One in question. if you get to see/read such a masterpiece, you might need to watch it twice or more so you can realize what the true sequence of events is and how it was intelligently masked in. the best storytellers don't even know how their story will end, so that the one who reads or hears it is also lost in it and gets his interest constantly pulled.

back to drama and its pattern:

there's always a rich guy, preferably insanely rich, who is also incredibly good looking and has some difficult character. he then falls in love with the poor girl, who often lacks talent, beauty, brains, sense of style, is very bad in housework, unemployed, or works 30 hrs a day to pay for medical bills, rent and everything else, while is very independant and has a strong feeling of pride (Secret Garden, Boys Over Flowers, City Hunter, Full House, The Master's Sun, Protect the Boss, Level 7 Civil Servant, Who Are You?, Coffee Prince, Playful Kiss, Princess Hours and many many more). the rich guy very often exhibits all the qualities she lacks, but obviously, opposites attract. the bigger the contrast, the better the drama. there are not many dramas, which stand on the base of a male character who is poor, while the female is rich (My Lady), or the guy struggles for a strong carrer break (Personal Taste), or the plot is turned around something completely different than already existing social status of any of the main characters (Good Doctor). there is always either the mean rich mother who stands in the way of true love, or/and the competitive rich/beautiful/smart and evil (in most cases) woman who has her eyes on the main character. there are always some dramatic moments when someone gets shot, beaten, kidnapped and saved; or when the rich kid that lacks family love and values meets the reality check of poverty and it's abundance of love, care, self-sacrifice. it's usually those times of social collision that entertain the mass-public, since we all have a reality check daily and wish for a rich guy whom we could re-adjust into not being so self-absorbed and who'd take us to his castle on his stud. well, I don't dream about that, maybe you here don't either. truth is, social status is of grave importance to everyone else. to make a point, I'd say that social status in the 21st century is like what "natural selection" once was. it was an unspoken law of attraction in all of the animal kingdom, that during the mating process, those who exhibit the best physical features like beauty and strenght are the most attractive ones, since the offspring of such couple of individuals will combine their genes and have a higher chance of continuing the line. nowadays, if you're rich and have a high social status, that means you're a good provider and you're instantaniously attractive. yes, priorities do change along with enviorenment- the world of humans is not one that requires physical strenght and beauty for one to secure their future procreation. oh well, while beauty is still a standard requirement (#2 for men and #1 for women), one may see that in some cultures, intelligence and moral values are a third or even fourth-grade ones. it's even gotten to the extend that if you don't already have a social status or a rich family line, many people (men and women) scratch off completely education as a possible source of income, while they would rather invest in plastic surgery (I wonder what happens when the rich guy sees his kids and they don't look like their mom..?).

what's most common in all dramas, is the happy ending. there are very few that end up with death of one or both the main characters (Snow Queen) or they don't end up together (can't think of any). people don't like sad endings. they like watching how hard can life get for fictional characters, no matter how messed-up the minds of the roles can be or to what extreme extend their outer limits and "superpowers" can be tested, so the viewers would see themselves in it, get their happy endings and therefore hope for a better tomorrow.

"Heirs" is a drama that follows the same pattern- rich kids, main character being the best of them all, but falling for the daughter of his servant (?), probably becomming an outcast or a hero for the rest of them. I do expect the same exact social status collision; the same rich family members opposing to the relationship of the two main characters; the same counterstanding of the rich and beatiful "heiress" against the poor servant girl in a battle for the heart of Mr. Notorious#1. what gets me every time is the character development and twist- from an arrogant antisocial nerd to a nice-hearted gentleman. but tbh, I don't expect it to be more than that. if it manages to surprise me, it will be awesome. if it doesn't, I'll still enjoy the skills of Lee Minho, who has proven to be more than enjoyable on the small screen. I'm positively sure that he will break this pattern through his perspective and give this drama more sense and soul, just as he did in his previous ones. I expect to see his acting skills be raised to a higher level once again. I somehow hope for the supernatural touch I saw in "Secret Garden", but I'd like it to be well structured and based on common knowledge. as weird as it may sound, even the supernatural (ghosts, voodoo, witchcraft, ... metaphysics, quantum physics, etc) follow certain rules and well known interpretations (especially physics). in movies where the writers have used mythology and what I mentioned in the brackets, I'd rather be able to read it, instead of jumping on the sofa that everything is a huge mess, like they tend to do in certain US movies about let's say Greek mythology. I liked "The Blair Witch Project" because it was absolutely perfectly executed and researched to the extend that I could read the signs in the woods and know which character was being marked as 'next'. I like punctuality and factuality, but offered creatively.

yes, I read a lot of books and the occult subject was very entertaining to me when I was 16 LOL it really isn't what it sounds and people make it to be and I have been asked plenty of times why did I ever read such things. if anyone is interested, I'm willing to explain its idea, which is by no means to help someone levitate or make him drink bats' blood, or any of the superpowers the characters in "The Craft" had- that's just the common disillusion on the subject.