Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

If my departure date is the date before my payday, and I'm not being paid direct deposit.. do you think I can ask my boss to give my paycheque the day before I leave?>___<

This may be too late to answer your question. But it probably depends on your company's policy. In my company, the payroll administrator can add or end direct deposit manually, so cutting a check isn't an issue.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A bit of background on me. I've recently graduated with a bachelor of science in electrical engineering, and I've been applying for jobs and going to interviews.

Would you accept a job offer that is not in your field, but is somewhat related?

My example, the job offer I have received is a QA engineer in the automotive industry. Usually, a people with a background in mechanical or material engineering would be doing this kind of job. Electrical engineering is different, but it's still in the technical realm. If I accept this job, I'll start from nothing since I don't really have any background in this field.

Normally, I wouldn't have applied for this position on my own, but my dad has a lot of contact, and this is the company of one of his ex-co worker. Also because of that, I'm getting some pressure from my parents to accept this job offer. They way they see it, I should take it because I won't know if another job offer will come in.

The most important thing to me now is getting work experience. But I'm not sure if I should accept this job offer or wait until something that's more in my field. I guess maybe I shouldn't be too picky with my first job, but honestly, I don't think I'll really enjoy working in this industry. I know I shouldn't say anything about it without first giving it a try, but as I've said before, I wouldn't have applied for a job in this industry in the first place, if not for my dad asking me to send my resume to his ex-co worker. It's great having family members with a lot of contacts, but sometimes, I feel like he doesn't really understand that I would prefer working in a familiar field, rather than sending out resumes to company that has engineering positions, since there are so many different types of engineers and a lot of them require background that I am not familiar with.

Let me know your thoughts and if you have any advice. Thanks in advance!

Would you accept a job offer that is not in your field, but is somewhat related?

I would and I did. Undergrad in accounting but got a programming job. But I WANTED to get out of accounting.

I would suggest you be very picky in your first job. Do what you want to do because it's hard to shift industries once you start. Why gain experience in something you don't want to do in the future?

Good luck

Guest DarkWaltz

Start with something you'd see yourself doing for a long time, it's hard to change later on. I've accepted a php/mysql job, but in the end, I want to have more experience in C++/java instead, so I'm thinking of quitting and reconsidering my job search, because it'd be a waste to gain experience in this field (for me).

I just had an interview for a DREAM job! But quite frankly I'm not at ease because there are only 2 openings and there are around 15-20 candidates, it's so depressing.... all I can do now is wait :((

Guest watcher

Start with something you'd see yourself doing for a long time, it's hard to change later on. I've accepted a php/mysql job, but in the end, I want to have more experience in C++/java instead, so I'm thinking of quitting and reconsidering my job search, because it'd be a waste to gain experience in this field (for me).

I just had an interview for a DREAM job! But quite frankly I'm not at ease because there are only 2 openings and there are around 15-20 candidates, it's so depressing.... all I can do now is wait :((

hehe.. i started with html/javascript for a year before i landed a job doing java, but because of the nature of the work i did with java (primarily web based apps), my previous experience with html/javascript gave my last employers enough confidence to hire me for a java web dev. position.

i dont think there's necessarily a waste of experience when you're starting out. as a software engineer, you'll realize there's a lot more out there than the programming language itself. eventually, these will come into play more and more as you progress higher up the ranks. so learn as much as you can now even if it's not quite what you want, because a skill needed at your current workplace might be what your next employer wants in addition to the programming language skills they seek.

for the OP (ailin):

if there is a way to step into a more EE related position in the company, or diversify your responsibilities to involve yourself with EE for the job you've been offered, i'd say take it. if there is absolutely nothing about this job that offers you some boost to break into the field that you desire, perhaps you can hold off a bit.

i think that it's important to find something that will aide you in your career, but i can also understand that sometimes, you really dont have that luxury and you should just take what is there. whichever is the best option, i hope you make the better decision. (wont know until you've made it and seen it through, but hey... that's life! hehe)

Guest Mr. Arenas

It seems like a lot of people are concerned about starting salary (including me)... especially with the bad job market these days. You don't have to give specific numbers... but were you satisfied with your starting pay? Has your salary gone up a lot since starting?

It seems like a lot of people are concerned about starting salary (including me)... especially with the bad job market these days. You don't have to give specific numbers... but were you satisfied with your starting pay? Has your salary gone up a lot since starting?

umm wouldnt it depend on what you do ?

Guest whizzer's_rose

Hi guys! I have a big big dilemma here...I was working for this big bank, the 2nd biggest bank in our country as a clerk and then here comes another government bank who offered to train me to become an officer for their bank. I resigned from my job and took the offer but now I'm starting to have regrets......

I'm not having fun anymore. It is indeed my dream to become a bank officer someday but then the training is so exhausitng. Sometimes, it makes me feel like I'm the dumbest in the class. All of my classmates are honor students while I'm not. I am starting to think that maybe I was just lucky to get those high scores in the qualifying exams. The part that I hate the most is that they are more on theories instead of the actual work. It's just so unfair for them to only consider theories because I can show them that I can kick butt when it comes to work like marketing and stuff... Now, I think I'm gonna fail this training program and i don't know what to do if ever I did. I was thinking of going back to my previous job but i have to swallow all the embarrasment and stuff....was i wrong to be ambitious?

Guest watcher

Hi guys! I have a big big dilemma here...I was working for this big bank, the 2nd biggest bank in our country as a clerk and then here comes another government bank who offered to train me to become an officer for their bank. I resigned from my job and took the offer but now I'm starting to have regrets......

I'm not having fun anymore. It is indeed my dream to become a bank officer someday but then the training is so exhausitng. Sometimes, it makes me feel like I'm the dumbest in the class. All of my classmates are honor students while I'm not. I am starting to think that maybe I was just lucky to get those high scores in the qualifying exams. The part that I hate the most is that they are more on theories instead of the actual work. It's just so unfair for them to only consider theories because I can show them that I can kick butt when it comes to work like marketing and stuff... Now, I think I'm gonna fail this training program and i don't know what to do if ever I did. I was thinking of going back to my previous job but i have to swallow all the embarrasment and stuff....was i wrong to be ambitious?

dont be discouraged by hardship. do your best, and if it doesn't work out, then make a plan B and follow through on it. we've all made some bad decisions in life, but it happens sometimes on that road to success.

were you wrong to be ambitious? maybe, maybe not. i dont know the circumstances on which you made the decision to leave your previous employer, but i say not to cry over spilled milk. make the most of the situation and keep pushing. know when to cut your losses if needed.

good luck

considering tech wasn't the best industry to be in when i graduated, i was happy to just land a job. i'm pretty happy with my salary now, and the experience really paid off.

Guest XxXrAtED

You mentioned it's your dream to become a bank officer. With that, do you understand what the potential role will entail? It's certainly more than just "marketing and stuff", as you'll be counted on to manage the bank's risk and customer relations. Theories will be required for the big picture. Try not to doubt yourself. You were given an opportunity in this training program because the bank saw potential in you. So what if the others are honor students, and you're not? They've no bearing on your success. You'll need to put in work, despite it being exhausting, to acheive your goals + dreams. To quit now, you'll just go back to be a clerk, and who knows when the next opportunity will come knocking. If you already counted yourself out at this stage thinking you'll fail, you may as well consider having a different career dream. Even after you pass the training program, the job doesn't get any easier.

It's not a matter of being ambitious. it's a matter if this is truly what you want to do/cut out to do.

Just giving it to you straight.

I've dealt with graduate trainees, and we recruit from the best schools...harvard, princeton, mit...yada yada yada. often times it's not the kid with the best GPA who does best. You want something bad enough, don't underestimate the power of drive and commitment.

The job market in Australia is at its greatest point as its an employee's market, and no longer an employer market. We as employees have control.

I was satisfied with my starting pay, considering my little experience but yes within a year my salary has increased by 40%.

But keep in mind, there are too many variables such as which industry, education, and of course the individual.

I have friends who are smarter than me, and completed smarter degrees but are in entry level positions still after several years because they do not have the work ethic or skillset.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ganbatte

Sigh, one of my coworker got layoff yesterday. This is the second one who was let go in my team within a year. He has been working in the company for over a decade. This is just sad.

They have been hiring a lot of people in India for my department. For one of us here they can hire like 10 people for the same cost. I think they are going to outsource the whole department eventually...

Guest some-azn-guy

Sigh, one of my coworker got layoff yesterday. This is the second one who was let go in my team within a year. He has been working in the company for over a decade. This is just sad.

They have been hiring a lot of people in India for my department. For one of us here they can hire like 10 people for the same cost. I think they are going to outsource the whole department eventually...

that is sad to hear that one of your co-workers got the layoff yesterday.

if your company can hire 10people for the same cost; you can almost count on them outsourcing the whole department eventually.

that's what i absolutely hate about employers; to them, we're nothing but employee numbers in their database..we aren't people, just serial numbers. any company, big or small...is all about money after all. sad but true.

Guest DarkWaltz

OMG. I always fear that might happen to me in the future as well. I'm assuming you're working in the computer field (computer science/software engineering/etc.)

A lot of big companies like IBM have started outsourcing in India already... yes, over there, they make 1/4 (or something) of what we make here, and they work more efficiently as I heard, since what else can you really do over there.

It's very annoying, but that's how the big capitalists go: it's all about revenues, money, profits, etc. regardless of people's lives here.

IMO, it's safer to try going into a field where there are extra things involved that they cannot do, i.e. software developers with business skills for example.

Guest xkrn4lyfx

damn, i hate calling big companies and getting someone in India who doesn't really speak english that well trying to fix my problems -__-;;

that's why you work on contract, hopefully u can keep renewing at the end...

Archived