Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

I started working at 16 years old .. (for some thats early, for others thats late)

Where you're from? It's early to me. Where I'm from you have to be 15 1/2 to get a job permit.

I just started working two years ago. First job I got was as a bookkeeper with the help of my mom. I got my second job because of my experience. I hate it, it's so lonesome. I'm there by myself most of the time.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Renesis

i'm self employeed...

working towards grandmaster on cnd.

hi-yak!

no no not like that i was just kidding. :P

What type of business do you do?

Guest hwanger25

I'm the Acquisitions Director for the Kushner Companies. Basically I am in charge of buying all real estate investment properties for my company.

We recently sold our residential portfolio for $1.9 Billion therefore currently busy looking for alot of 1031 exchange. Our current focus is Manhattan and purchased the world record breaking single asset transaction in January of this year. The building is 666 Fifth Avenue in NY and was purchased for $1.8 Bil. I mainly focus on properties $100 Mil and above. That's just a little about me. If any questions, please ask.

on Friday, I got hired by a big engineering company~

I'm gonna be working in the consulting office and research lab. @@

I love my office already - beautiful dark navy walls, a big lounge area on the top level, fun colleagues who actually help each other, and a manager who buys cars for his emloyees. that's right. he buys us cars! XD. anyways. my first day is on tuesday! really nervous~

Mcd's > Engineering firm... what a jump, eh?

Guest DarkWaltz

So, I just graduated last may and currently looking for jobs in the IT field, or computers/software, to be more precise.

Looking on various job sites, it constantly frustrates me to find that most of the appealing offers require more than 5 years experience. Actually, not only the appealing ones, I should say MOST of the jobs out there ask for experience. I tried looking fo "junior" ones, but they still ask for 1-2 years experience.

Now, how do fresh graduates are supposed to start their career if they don't have any experience whatsoever? It's so frustrating and hopeless, somehow.

I think the society we live in is hardcore capitalist: a potential hire has to meet all the requirements and show that s/he can make a big difference for the company's growth and advantage. Asking for experience do tell them that this potential employee knows what he will be doing, but it doesn't tell them if they are hardworking and smart. Same thing goes for the GPA that some companies ask for, which is totally ridiculous. I know some people who have a very high GPA but ask the dumbest questions on earth, while I know a lot of lazy people who don't get good grades, yet are very good outside class.

And, when I had interviews on appealing job offers, they gave me some hardcore test as if I already knew so much about everything.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this? Anyone has the same problem than me, whether or not in the same degree? I just felt like sharing this frustration, and am seriously considering studying in another field since this one pisses me off so much.

Guest watcher

i can sympathize with your frustration, but at the same time, finding a job is all on you. no one promised you a job. not any company, nor the school you went to. you do whatever you can to figure it out. i faced the same challenges when i got out of school, and i'm just now hitting my 5 year mark as a software engineer.

tech sector's doing quite well right now. starting pay is higher, and there are more opportunities. this is not to say it's a piece of cake, but most of my colleagues in the field today all went through the same hardship when they started out. most even took jobs that weren't on the mark with what they wanted to do, but they grew out of it while some grew into it.

for most entry level and jr level jobs, dont take the long list of requirements so seriously. take a brief look and see if you have enough knowledge to take care of the task list that they put up. if you can, then write your resume so that it reflects your knowledge of the things they want their applicants to know. if you can't, then that's probably a good reason for you to go out and do a few personal projects and learn.

don't expect to get hired for jobs that require many years of experience, unless you really know your stuff. don't be frustrated because some companies require you to know a lot of stuff. it's nothing personal against you but from the company standpoint, they require someone with that kind of knowledge/experience to help the company grow. it's just unfortunate that you dont have it yet.

tech's gonna do well for the next decade or so (enough time to figure out the next move while you thrive within this field). i wouldn't switch because it's hard to get in. once you get in, it gets much better. good luck

This is why people yell at me to try to get internships to hope for a path into that field. Lots of fun more evidence the computer field is dead.*ponders tossing 2 years for a new major*

no way... i had several IT consulting firms that couldn't hire fast enough looking to recruit earlier this year. some even hired fresh grads, offered training and provided starting pay that was easily 20% higher than what i had to take when i got out of school. the market in general is pretty good. it's just that a lot of companies are looking for candidates who can follow through on their business strategies. once the opportunities increase, more companies will loosen up as they find a shortage of people to do the work that is needed.

Guest itrayya

watcher, is sooo true.

going to college doesnt literally mean you'll get a job right away after college.

you shoulda have thought about how you're gonna geta job.

a degree doesnt literally say, 'here's a job when you're done.'

im sure you'll find a job. you have that education.

i guess you just have to push and push.

like, i know i wont get a job right away,

that's why im gonna do internships and study abroad.

volunteer work which leads to networking... bleh bleh.

GOOD LUCK!

keep looking.

you'll catch a break soon.

take care.

You can try going through IT staffing firm and try to get short term contract gigs, and set your desired hourly rate low. Don't be afraid to list all the skills you have. No job experience doesn't necessarily mean you can't do the work. If you can do projects on the side, by all means do it.

And remember, most positions are filled by people who barely meets half the requirements.

As people here said, this is actually a good time for IT jobs. Some of us had to take anything we can get, because we graduated during the internet bubble burst. hehe

so don't worry, just suck it up and try harder. you'll find something if you're half way decent. ;)

Guest vinylswing

The IT field is one of the hardest field to get into with limited or no experience. I was in a similar situation like you are in when I graduated last May with no relevant experience. I was not able to find a job for 9 months so I decided to lower my expectations and did an internship with a IT consulting firm. Now I work there full-time. My advice is to just keep submitting your resume to jobs even if you don't meet all the requirements. You can also gain experience by free-lancing or contributing to projects on Source Forge if you are into software development.

As for the idea of studying another field, I would go with business, that's what I plan to do. Having management and tech skills will take your career to new heights.

Guest negitoro

While it's frustrating as a job hunter, think about it from the company's point of view.

They're not under any obligation to train you or make sure you're ready. As a company, a candidate who isn't prepared to hit the ground running costs you time and money. So they want as much information as possible about whether you'd be a good worker or not... and having experience shows them at least that you're capable of working for someone else.

Is it capitalist? Of course. And you'd do exactly the same thing if it was your business doing the hiring. Why would you want to hire someone and pay them for months while they learn the ropes? Or give them all that training just to have them potentially leave the company a few months later?

But like others say, if you don't have the experience, be prepared to prove you know your stuff and make up for the lack of years.

Guest nikkeijin

Sorry to hear about your frustration in finding a good job ... but do remember that experience does not "mean nothing." Experience at whatever you do means a great deal -- in terms of your practical knowledge and productivity on the job. I'm not very familiar w/ the IT industry. But chances are most people fresh out of college are not going to be particularly skilled despite studying hard for some years. It's only natural that you'll likely be qualified only for entry-level type jobs. You need to accept that and work hard to develop yourself. Good luck!

Guest lockinsocks

I just quit my job. I used to work for an Asian supermarket. It was horrible there because I was doing several different positions even though my title was Cashier. I'm never going to work for Asians ever again for the rest of my life. I was overworked and underpaid. I hope you guys don't make the same mistake and work in a supermarket.

But now, I got a job just two weeks after I quit. I'm working at the mall near my house. Working in the merchandise department. Finally a new change! I'm so happy I got this job.

As an working class individual, it is your responsibility, during your study to gain some industry experience.

And what are you to do if you don't meet their demands? Make a change! Step up and be who they're looking for.

You must crawl before you can walk.

---

Meanwhile, I've been called for a 2nd interview for an IT position at a marketing firm, YAY! Best paying position I've applied so far, let's hope I get it so I can buy my own apartment.

Anyone here got a Biological Sciences BA and did not intend to go to med school and just want to get a job right afterward? I graduated in May and just starting to look for a job now and it is ridiculously hard. I understand how DarkWaltz feel, every job postings I seen online ask for at least two years of lab experiences and it really leaves no room for fresh graduates. I went onto careerbuilders and look at the biotech section and most of the jobs listed are linked to staffing companys. I wonder how successful they are at placing people into a job? Anyway, enough venting for now. I really need to find a job before the holidays so that I can go to Leehom's concert in LV (sorry this is really not related to the topic).

If my departure date is the date before my payday, and I'm not being paid direct deposit.. do you think I can ask my boss to give my paycheque the day before I leave?>___<

Guest ChairmanLMAO

Product designer here...was lucky to get this job. The design industry is a tough cookie to get into, graduated 2 years ago but couldnt get a job, submitting cv mini portfolios to design companies, they never replied.

Getting desperate I thought I'd better do an online portfolio and add new projects...learnt dreamweaver from stratch and showcase my work on the web. Mass sent my URL and got a few offers. Now Im designing products, graphics and maintaining their website. What can I say I love my job!

My site below:

Guest mysticacxwolf

i work and go to school full time...yea i have no life XD

im a CS student at UCLA, and i work for a local engineering and construction firm. i create databases using microsoft sql.

i also work in java, python, c, and c++. i create 2D environments for a game im working on at school using ubuntu linux, using python.

currently working on a YEH screensaver using java.

SELECT *

FROM LIFE

WHERE SOCIAL LIFE > 0

ORDER BY interesting;

Error: 362

Query not found.

/sigh

Archived