Quantcast
Aziraphale

Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Guest negitoro

that is sad to hear that one of your co-workers got the layoff yesterday.

if your company can hire 10people for the same cost; you can almost count on them outsourcing the whole department eventually.

that's what i absolutely hate about employers; to them, we're nothing but employee numbers in their database..we aren't people, just serial numbers. any company, big or small...is all about money after all. sad but true.

Not that I don't feel sympathy for people who get laid off, but isn't that the whole point of a business? You can't hate them - they're not there for the welfare of their workers. If it was your business and you could cut the costs by 75%, you'd do it in a heartbeat.

The choices are to hire someone to do an equivalent job for 1/4 of the money OR lose ground to your competitors (due to their lowered costs), lose customers (due to your higher price) and lose the faith of your shareholders (due to failing to cut costs). Isn't the choice clear for any CEO?

Heck, as a consumer, how often have you bought anything at a premium, to support a company's excellent labor policies? Yet this is what happened to manufacturing a few decades ago when nearly all good started to be made in China or other foreign countries. The outrage lasts a bit but then people eventually just don't care that their shirts are made in the USA if it costs 40% more. Foreign programmers and IT staff are heading the same way.

that's why you work on contract, hopefully u can keep renewing at the end...
So... the Indians are taking away job security... so your solution is to voluntarily work in a job with none? ..... I'm confused. :blink:

Guest ganbatte

I can understand why the company want to outsource but ...

If you are in the tech field the best place for the job security is in the defense companies. They required the employee to be US citizen. They simply can't outsource any of it.

I'm considering getting into consulting but it's making my head spin, I don't even know where to start. I've checked online but there's so many different kinds of consultants. Since my university is very health science oriented, I haven't got much counseling on this area and I'm also a health science major. I need a plan b, and I know I might be taking a risk here since it's pretty different from what I have been in school for but I'm not sure I will get get accepted to grad school. I know this is really different from what I've spent years studying but I just need to know where to start. (ie: course requirements, exams to take, work experience, skills, license requirements, etc)

I don't know much about health science, but in IT, consultancy is the way to go to accelerate your career into higher levels of management.

What's best is to start working for a consultant company off the bat.

Guest TippmannMan

This used to be a topic, but then I sort of lost interest in finding out an answer. Sorry for having created a new topic and then deleting it, whoever moved me here :blush:

Guest CantStopRaving

im thinking really hard` if i should pursue my fetishing modeling career! :P

as for now imma gogodance. n go to college. OR i can just go to med school and become

a corner or something<3 (=

oh when i was younger i wanted to work @ the wonka factory n invent new pressers ;]] for personal reasons! hehe or a domix for a living...>:]]]

What was your first job after graduating from college (or high school, grad school)?

I'll be graduating from college this year with a degree in econ. Some of my friends got full-time job offers already! ... I got none. I'm scared as heck 'cuz I'm not too sure what I should be doing next year. I don't think I want to be labeled as an unemployed college grad.

What was your first job after graduating from college (or high school, grad school)?

I'll be graduating from college this year with a degree in econ. Some of my friends got full-time job offers already! ... I got none. I'm scared as heck 'cuz I'm not too sure what I should be doing next year. I don't think I want to be labeled as an unemployed college grad.

just keep searching for the right job, and while you search, work part time and try out other things. specialization is great in the short run, but in the longer run, you gotta expand and grow out of what you do. otherwise, you'll just be working for someone else your entire life. =]

I graduated with a degree in Information Technology and my first job was as a Systems Administrator.

Due to the lack of graduate offers, shoot your resume to large companies and recruitment agencies. Send them to everyone and anyone.

Guest nycsouljaac

Hey, i gotta get an internship for this summer, but I was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with where they interened. Thanks.

Guest tofuyum

I'm currently working as a graduate insolvency accountant in a small firm. This is my first fulltime role out of university, but I have to admit that I really don't like the work that i'm doing and the salary is really low as well. Most of the time I'm just preparing letters to be sent out to clients. Other times I would me on the phone for minutes on end trying to get banks to send me info, but due to high security, i cannot get the job done and so I have to call again:(.

I'm so sick of it and going to work makes me want to throw up. I'm thinking of quitting and considering temp jobs before I find a better job. Is this too drastic?...but i feel so desperate

Guest tofuyum

I'm currently working as a graduate insolvency accountant in a small firm. This is my first fulltime role out of university, but I have to admit that I really don't like the work that i'm doing and the salary is really low as well. Most of the time I'm just preparing letters to be sent out to clients. Other times I would me on the phone for minutes on end trying to get banks to send me info, but due to high security, i cannot get the job done and so I have to call again:(.

I'm so sick of it and going to work makes me want to throw up. I'm thinking of quitting and considering temp jobs before I find a better job. Is this too drastic?...but i feel so desperate

^It appears this is an industry position that is applicable to your university degree. I'd advise you to stick with it. Think of this as a stepping stone, exceed your expectations, impress your bosses, and you'll be promoted within a year at the most.

One must crawl first before they can walk.

I'm planning on pursueing both a degree in accounting and risk managment but I'm still deciding whether or not to switch it to something else. I know for sure I want 2 degrees. I heard alot of mix of thoughts on accounting and not sure what to think right now. Any thoughts on accounting or risk managment as a career?