Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

Guest jshat4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone have some advice about coworker relations? But basically, I'm a summer intern, organizing an event. There's this staff person who is in charge of a certain portion (never know who is reading the Internet these days) of an event, and I am in charge of making sure everyone does their job, creating timelines, etc.

So....this portion that she/he is in charge of is LACKING, and this other person from another campus organizing the same event is doing a superb job, so I mention this to her/him, and ask her/him if she could exchange ideas with the other person. Notice how I did not mention anything about what she/he is doing, but merely that we should be exchanging ideas.

Then, she/he blows up at me and tells me to basically be careful of what I'm saying (which is almost kinda "threatening") and that she/he took it as criticism. Then he/she proceeded to tell me to calm down, stop being a worry wart, and drink less coffee (that was pretty rude of her/him).

The thing is, she/he is NOT my boss, and my boss is actually really frustrated/annoyed at him/her as well about this. Everyone on the team has to do a lot of the stuff this person is supposed to do, but not getting right and it's slowing us all down.

I almost feel that just because I'm a student, she/he feels that they can say b.s. to me and take out her/his frustrations on me unprofessionally just because he/she is ranked higher up on the hierachy even if he/she is not my boss.

What do you think about this? Should I stand up for myself and tell my boss? I don't want to be a "tattle-tale", but I also don't want to be stabbed in the back by this person.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

this is a delicate situation..

if you do report this to your boss, you want to word what you say carefully as to not seem like you're purposely badmouthing that other person.

i say, tell your boss if you feel that this other person may jeopardize your internship.

Guest jshat4

Well the internshp is ending in 2 weeks, and I don't think it'll "jeopardize" my position, but it would just mean I have to do a lot of work that the other person is supposed to do. I suppose I could wait until after the event to tell this, but I'm just worried this person is going to badmouth me because she/he already has this grudge against me.

Guest Mr. Arenas

Hello,

I'll be moving to California after the Fall 07' semester to work. When do you think would be a good time to start applying for jobs? I was thinking about researching and making resume submissions in early November... if all works out well, I hope to get out there around Thanksgiving for interviews. Do you think that's too late? Should I start looking now?

I'm an advertising major... I want to get into sports advertising/marketing or work for a professional team in the advertising/marketing department.

Thanks in advance!

I would start looking for jobs and sending out resumes now. Most large companies spend months sorting through applications, interviewing candidates and then selecting their final group of hires. If you are looking to work at a small business, then they usually move a lot quicker. if you have any contacts in the industry, start calling them up to network indicating that you are looking for a job out west and if they know of anyone looking to hire a new grad.

Guest kimchee1

lol.. i just moved to arizona FROM california. missing CA. its the best. i'm gona start tryin to get a job after everything w/ school schedules settle down.. mayb nex semester since school just started.

Guest kimchee1

i've worked at

basic

basic plus

mervyns

hollister co.

they were all pretty cool. mervyns was the most boring and the time went by the slowest.

where do you stay?

i'm in the same situation as you. expect i'm planning to move to ca next summer for job. but it would be easier if i knew someone there. going to suck not having any friends.

Hello,I'll be moving to California after the Fall 07' semester to work. When do you think would be a good time to start applying for jobs? I was thinking about researching and making resume submissions in early November... if all works out well, I hope to get out there around Thanksgiving for interviews. Do you think that's too late? Should I start looking now?I'm an advertising major... I want to get into sports advertising/marketing or work for a professional team in the advertising/marketing department.Thanks in advance!
Hi,I'd start looking ASAP. Any major corp will take 3-6 months before even responding to your resume. Unless you're an exceptional applicant (you know someone high in the company) - and even then it'll take awhile before they can get you through the hiring process.
where do you stay?i'm in the same situation as you. expect i'm planning to move to ca next summer for job. but it would be easier if i knew someone there. going to suck not having any friends.
What area are you moving to? Get to know your co-workers (although from personal experiance, I don't socialize with co-workers from my department I keep it strictly out of department)..

Depends where you work. I know at least 3 "higher class" sushi places here in Perth that take people of the street and train them.

My sushi how ever is for personal use only, despite the fact that I am the star in a video called "White mans sushi" if any ECU students have seen it.

Guest Classy Beaut

How do you feel about job discrimination? Have you ever experienced it? Should a company be permitted to only hire people who are 1. Fat 2. Hot 3. One Gender 4. Etc...?

How do you feel about job discrimination? Have you ever experienced it? Should a company be permitted to only hire people who are 1. Fat 2. Hot 3. One Gender 4. Etc...?

Wow, it would be interesting to see how a company determines that somebody is actually two genders or more before discriminating against them :huh:

melkimx, if you have sick days you can take some.

I think plus size clothing stores tend to hire bigger people. Well, I've only been in one so I don't know if it was just that store or if it's their usual practice.

I believe Hooters used to hire only big breasted women till someone sued.

I can imagine that high-end clothing stores and boutiques only hire a certain type of person and look.

All jobs require certain qualities, be it education, experience, personality etc etc so I can imagine for jobs where looks are important, one's appearance will matter. For example, female newscasters generally have to fit a certain mold.

In terms of other discrimination like gender, race, weight etc etc in the United States, it's illegal for companies with a certain number of employees (I think 20+) to discriminate based on these criteria. This probably applies to the aforementioned female newscasting jobs but it doesn't mean it stops them :D

^ If you have paid sick days, by all means, take a day off if you start to cough. My co-workers (including me) get pretty annoyed when people show up to work all sick and coughing. I'm sure that would be the case for your coworkers too. And if you're blowing nose, that means you still have a chance to spread germs to others.

But really... when I was a contractor and had no paid sick days, I didn't give a crap about etiquette. I would have the worst flu and I'd still show up to work, all drugged up. I wanted my money! I would've gone in with bubonic plague :lol:

^ it's not so much for you, but also for those who work with you that you should take a day off. unless you work alone. i guess in such a case, you can still feel free to come to work ^^

Archived