Official 20+ Jobs Thread

Aziraphale

Guest Irysinon

I'm about to. The competition and demand in web design is huge, but the expectations are absurd. The irrelevant mix-up of using the term developer and designer together is asking for someone that can absorb tons of coding language knowledge in his head. I'm not one that can do that and therefore, I fail. Freelance is getting me nowhere and my skills are decent at best. I'm thinking of changing my path. The problem is that I don't know what I should change it to, since there's very little that interests me as a career.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda - I'm taking a step down from my current job to go back to school and finish what I started.

I'm currently a hospital administrator for a large home health and hospice clinic for an HMO in California. I'm stepping down - part time administrator of a much smaller primary care/pediatrics clinic (less regulations, staff of 200 dwindles to 12) - basically one is it's own little world, the other is a small part of a bigger one. Both are still the same Hospital/HMO just different areas.

I'll actually eventually move onto the law department of the Hospital and work as a Lawyer for the company. So it's kinda a career change. I just have to get the law degree first.

Guest watcher

I'm about to. The competition and demand in web design is huge, but the expectations are absurd. The irrelevant mix-up of using the term developer and designer together is asking for someone that can absorb tons of coding language knowledge in his head. I'm not one that can do that and therefore, I fail. Freelance is getting me nowhere and my skills are decent at best. I'm thinking of changing my path. The problem is that I don't know what I should change it to, since there's very little that interests me as a career.

why not just find a job that focuses on what you specialize in? im guessing you're more on the design side? there are plenty of companies out there looking for someone who simply want to make their site look sleek and sexy. hehe

why not just find a job that focuses on what you specialize in? im guessing you're more on the design side? there are plenty of companies out there looking for someone who simply want to make their site look sleek and sexy. hehe

However, with the competition being so fierce, it see seems lately that many people out on the market are willing to provide expertise in both the design and development sides. The only people who can seem to find "good" positions in either one or the other are those who are "exceptionally" good at what they do.

Guest watcher

However, with the competition being so fierce, it see seems lately that many people out on the market are willing to provide expertise in both the design and development sides. The only people who can seem to find "good" positions in either one or the other are those who are "exceptionally" good at what they do.

i don't know too many graphic designers who are also fully adept at software architecture, but i can say they'll give front end developers a run for their money. hehe... there's still a lot of positions for graphic designers out there. perhaps it's time to switch out of the internet industry though... since the new wave of hybrid developers mostly affect this industry.

Guest Agashi

Art business sometimes gets annoying. When it comes to publishing, and trying to freelance it seems like people try to take advantage of you, somewhat, when it comes to getting copyrights to your work. Any lawyers here can help me find out about legal matters for freelance artists?

Guest lilo_missie

I've always had an urge to open a Hotel/Restaurant oneday or a Cafe somewhere.... ???? . Haven't thought about anything else... still thinking about the name, the style, the atmosphere, location... in the process of drawing up plans... blah blah blah... WOW.. it's hard work.

I'm also interested in Graphic Design and Politics/Law/Economics ... my teachers told me to go into that field... LOL.. I remember my teacher asking me to teach my principal how to do a powerpoint presentation too.. LOL.

Guest asianguyno2

I'm working three jobs, my main core of it working as a university Accounts Payable...person.

Garh.

I used to do AP back in the day. It's pretty freaking boring.

Guest Quotea

I'm a Project Manager for a large construction firm,

It pays very well but the job is extremely demanding

I plan to work for seven more years and retire.

Guest Korean_chick

(not sure where this goes.......... feel free to move it if this is not that right section :) )

So I currently work at the post office which has great benefits...

I pretty much get the hours I want and get paid pretty well.

Thing is I've been doing this for a little over than 2 years and a half and I feel like trying something different.

So GUESS offered me a job. I still haven't given them an answer but I thought I coud use a little advise.

I'm afraid I won't like it too much... my friend used to work there and said that there is a huge amount of stress with sales and all.

Not to mention that I feel like I'm going to miss my current job... lol

(btw, it's a part-time job... I'm still in school)

I'd love to hear from those who work or have worked there.

Like the benefits, the salary (coz I definately don't want to start back at minimum wage), the schedule, how long do you have to stay after work, and whatever there is to say! :)

Many thanks! :) xox

Guest conheomap2003

My professor told me that one of the best job as a student would be at the post office. I don't know about Guess because I picked to work at the Limited over Guess. I've worked at 3 different retail stores and they are all crap. There is definitely a huge amount of stress to work at retail stores...which usually pay you close to nothing too. What's even worse is that the Limited expects a "goal" amount at each shift and hound over you to sell their products; w/o even paying comission. ( I was expected to sell $1200 in a 4 hours shift) I don't know..in my opinion I think you should stick to the post office. I heard the pay is very decent!

One thing good about working at a bank though is that the pay is good.... but for some roles that you have to do is just not worth th money.

That some how sounds like my job...

I work as an auditor - basically someone who is an accountant but checks the work of other accountants for errors, frauds, and so forth.

The number of hours and BS I take from clients is completely unworthy of the money <_<

Post office!! It's a government subsidized operation.... and retail would be quite a different pace... everything's more fast and you can get nasty customers. Whereas the post office, only on occasion you might get some confused individual but usually it's bam bam bam and off they go. I think the only good thing about retail is that you get clothing discount... but some GUESS stuff is just really ugly IMO :P

Guest res0nate

My sister absolutely hated worked at Guess. Policies, management and staff were brutal. Iirc, they had quota too.

Stick with the PO or branch into some other form of CSR / gov't work. If you do want retail, there are better places to work at.

Guest SsssHhhh

I'm applying for a job as a Reservation Sales Agent, at the Seatac Airport in Washington. There's a good chance, I'm getting the position. I'm coming from Retail, (I work at Macy's). So I know that there's going to be lots of stress with dealing with P*ssed off people. Of course with the Airport there's more stress than dealing with scandalous people who want things for cheaper, and so on and so forth. Anywho, just curious, if any of you have worked in an aiport, if so what did you do?... and how hectic was it? Just wanna be prepared for the worse you know what I mean.

SsssHhhh.

I used to work at Hong Kong International Airport, but I was not working for an airline. I was working for a duty free chain. I worked at the office so I didn't deal with customers directly. But yeah, from what I saw, customers were quite demanding. But on the other hand, you are going to see a lot of things and meet a lot of people that you won't elsewhere. I enjoyed that challange. :)

Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

^i love the HK airport lol.

ok so its so embarrassing to admit.

i never had a real job job and im 21...

its so pathetic i know. :(

so im trying to get this one job right now.

administrative assistant position.

its close to where i live, nothing big.

just office work basically.

found it through craigslist.com

so the person who is doing the hiring is asking me to fax them a resume.

but since ive never worked before, my resume is pretty empty.

so what should i put on my resume?

help me!

i kinda feel like not doing it at all... but its like you gotta start somewhere.

they're looking for someone to do typing, filing, answering phones etc..

its not rocket science so even tho i dont have experience i feel like i'd be capable of doing a good job.

Archived