[Movie 1998] An Affair 정사

rubie

I have been so busy with work lately, but finally got a chance to watch this movie. To me this a such a sad movie, but in some way it really represents life.

The two main characters are U-in and So-hyon. One is a young man who has been lonely for most of his life, all major decisions have been made for him by his father. He has to suppress his desire, passion and needs to follow his dad's wishes. No one ever listen to what he wants, because somehow he has to make up for his dead older brother. The only time that he was happy was when his family lived in Brazil (probably before his brother died). In coming to Korea to setup a new life with his future bride (something he did not want, but was decided by his father & fiance), he met his future sister-in-law, So-hyon.

So-hyon is the older sister who married well to a successful architect and has a young son. Life seems good from the outside looking in, but far from the truth. Her life is cold and meaningless with a husband using her as a trophy wife, and a son who is more involved in his games and TV shows and has no time for her. She cannot relate to any of her husband's friends or colleagues, which makes her feel more isolated and lonely.

I believe U-in feels so lost and lonely in Korea that he latches on to So-hyon for companionship, and she feels scared yet excited to be able to attract a good looking young man. And so their illicit relationship started. During their affair, it is probably the first time in the last 10 years that they were able to feel alive, happy, and excited to live life. Once they both embark on this immoral path, there was really no going back to life the way it was before. Their lust and desire for one another erode their sense and sensibility, reasons and sanity, and display their selfishness.

I really do not condone adultery, yet for all their indecent behavior, I feel sorry for So-hyon marrying without loving her husband, and finding out what "LOVE" is all about later on in life. Yet in finding love, she hurts all those people who are dear to her. As for U-ni, he should have the backbone to stand up to his father, and live his own life instead of the one chosen for him...and when he found love at last, it was for his future sister-in-law.

Can these two people find long lasting love with one another? I really don't know, but the odds are against them.

Thanks jtranla for sharing a wonderful in-depth thoughts about the movie, really appreciate the comments. The ending is a two-way situation, they might find and be with each other but perhaps for a limited time.. realizing the real deal of their emotions... whatever that might be. Or they might just live happily ever after in a place somewhere so secluded that no one would even care to find out, especially those they've hurt and left behind. Or maybe, finding and starting over with a totally different person... or not at all. :mellow:

It's not just about a "hot" movie but something about love, the sense of having the power to love unconditionally albeit resulting in an unacceptable solution.

Btw, I found this at koreanfilm.org, info and excerpts on the director of the movie

E J-yong Info Sheet Compiled by Lee Eunhye

AN AFFAIR (1998) ("Jeongsa") Directed by E J-yong. Screenplay by Kim Dae-woo. A married woman gets a phone call from her sister in the US, asking her to meet her fiance who is in Seoul. After meeting him, the woman feels a strong unconscious attraction to him, which appears to be reciprocated. Starring Lee Mi-sook (Seo-hyun), Lee Jung-jae (U-in), Kim Min (Ji-hyun), Song Young-chang (Jun-il), Lee Woo-hyun (Jin-soo). Cinematography by Kim Young-cheol. Produced by Nine Films. Distributed by Hanmac Films/Cinema Service. Rating: 18+. 108 min, 35mm, color. Released on October 3, 1998. Total admissions: 304,666 (Seoul). Movist.com viewer ratings: 7.42/10 (24 votes).

affair3jr2.jpg

Interview by Nam Dong-cheol published in Cine21 on Nov. 17, 1998 (excerpt)

* After the project The Story of a City was stopped, you kept silent for three years. Was there any particular reason that you chose An Affair as your debut film?

When I was young, I used to think that I should make challenging films. Then, I got an offer from producer Oh Jeong-wan and thought that this kind of film could be more challenging for me. I saw it from a different direction. Maybe I could learn more from making a movie with a strong narrative, which feels difficult to me. I was very lucky to be able to work with experts in each field such as cinematography, lighting, art design, etc., who I would never have the chance to work with on an independent film. I am also grateful for choosing the right format, having sufficient finance and meeting a good producer.

* You have chosen Ali: Fear Eats the Soul as the 'movie of my life' at Cine21 magazine. Unlike Rainer Werner Fassbinder who used melodrama to criticize German society of the time, you don't deal with socio-political contexts in An Affair. What did you think that you could do with melodrama?

What I kept in mind was that I was going to make it differently from the past melodramas of Korea. Formerly, Korean melodramas have typically taken issue with a bad husband, the surplus masculinity at home, oppressed desires and so on. I wanted to free myself from those typical boundaries. Lee Mi-sook was falling in love without any special reason. In some sense she had a very happy family, but it just happened. This was my attempt to escape from conventional films which explain the reasons for the affair and punish the woman. Also, I tried to deal with my perspective on woman's issues. I don't say that An Affair is a feminist film. But the important thing was that she left her comfortable life, and that no one else but her made the choice.

* Isn't this film in some sense a story of their love as destiny?

That is the premise of this film. If you don't believe in love as destiny, you would think that this is not realistic. As for me, I am kind of a cynical person. Lee Mi-sook's husband says, "Don't be hopeful for your married life. You need more than just passion." That is my own voice as well. I think that people who fall in love want to believe that their love is destiny. You can also see Lee Jung-jae and Lee Mi-sook as Adam and Eve. They ate the forbidden fruit. From God's perspective they disobeyed a command. But from a human's perspective they finally became real humans who know joy, anger, sorrow, and fun. In that sense, I see Lee Mi-sook going to Brazil as her banishment from the Garden of Eden.

Also excerpts on ASAKO IN RUBY SHOES (2000) & UNTOLD SCANDAL (2003) at

http://www.koreanfilm.org/ejyonginfo.html

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

September 5, 2007

Lee Eugene

10 Producers to Watch

By DARCY PAQUET

Like an overworked bee, Lee Eugene's cell phone is constantly buzzing. One of a new generation of Korean producers now stepping out on their own, Lee is particularly well connected with the industry's leading directors and stars.

"People sometimes ask me how I got to know these famous people, but in most cases it's just that we worked together before they became well known," she says.

It's been 10 years since Lee turned her back on a rapidly accelerating career in advertising to take up film marketing, on director E J-yong's surprise hit "An Affair."

Joining B.O.M. Film Prod. just as the Korean industry was entering its boom period, she worked her way up from line producing on the $17.4 million hit "Untold Scandal," to co-producing Cannes' selection "A Bittersweet Life" and $18.3 million hit melodrama "You Are My Sunshine."

This year, after launching her own company, Zip Cinema (a transliteration of the Korean word for "home"), Lee took $22.3 million with her first release "Voice of a Murderer."

The industry has noticed, putting her at No. 33 in the annual list of Korean cinema's 50 most powerful figures this year, her first entry.

"I'm always trying to bring something new to my productions, because it seems this is what audiences are really looking for," she says. She cites Working Title and Focus Features as company role models.

These days, she is also training her eyes beyond the Korean market. After she signed with CAA this spring, an increasing portion of her time is spent reading English-language scripts.

"Many Korean directors are interested in working abroad, so if I get the chance to help to put them on the international stage, I'll do what I can," she says.

Meanwhile, her high-profile local lineup includes new projects by "Tazza" director Choi Dong-hoon, "Voice of a Murderer's" Park Jin-pyo, "Memento Mori's" Min Kyu-dong and independent filmmaker Noh Dong-seok.

Zip Cinema's second film, Hur Jin-ho's drama "Happiness," premieres in Toronto's Contemporary World Cinema section.

VITAL STATS

Provenance: Seoul

Inspired by: The films of Alfred Hitchcock, and her words, "The cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."

Web: happiness2007.co.kr

Source: Variety.com

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111797141...d=1236&cs=1

• 1 month later...

Rubie sis..do you know i have 2 sets of this movie??.. :D ..

I love the uncensored version of coz!..and out of fun if they do a remake of this movie who will be your choice??...Lee Byung Hun is not eligible.. :P !!..

Rubie sis..do you know i have 2 sets of this movie??.. :D ..

I love the uncensored version of coz!..and out of fun if they do a remake of this movie who will be your choice??...Lee Byung Hun is not eligible.. :P !!..

Hahaa.. how come you have the CENSORED one? :P

Aish.. kak... the one not eligible is the one MOST WANTED lah! :lol:

Oklah.. since I can't have my Hunnie.. how... about.. someone.. close-r.. Jae Hee. :D He's been away from (burning) the big screen.. too long. :rolleyes:

ps: thanks for the panda postcard! ^^

Hahaa.. how come you have the CENSORED one? :P

Aish.. kak... the one not eligible is the one MOST WANTED lah! :lol:

Oklah.. since I can't have my Hunnie.. how... about.. someone.. close-r.. Jae Hee. :D He's been away from (burning) the big screen.. too long. :rolleyes:

ps: thanks for the panda postcard! ^^

i knew you'd say Jae Hee..hehehe..what about Jin Goo??..young and hot too..

hmm..i can think of Chung Jung Myung..did i get that name right?..

these are some of the hot new and awesome dudes..but they will have to do the sexy Lee Jung Jae stares..i always faint when he did that!

i knew you'd say Jae Hee..hehehe..what about Jin Goo??..young and hot too..

hmm..i can think of Chung Jung Myung..did i get that name right?..

these are some of the hot new and awesome dudes..but they will have to do the sexy Lee Jung Jae stares..i always faint when he did that!

Hehee.. cannot forget Jae Hee.. the silent type but lethal .. just like BH... ohh.. and LJJ, especially. Must credit him.. it's his movie. :lol:

Jin Goo? :huh: Hmm.. honestly.. despite his resemblance to BH.. I can't quite imagine him doing the stuff LJJ did. :sweatingbullets: But who knows.. maybe.. he has that in him... and more. :ph34r:

Heh, I just stumbled on this thread right now.... I was so happy to see it.... I watched An Affair a few years back and remember really liking it.... Leaving the topic aside for the moment, the film itself - cinematically - was so delicately done - the frames and each shot were so well crafted - that it was a pleasure to watch it ....

and the topic - well no judgement from me there....life happens no matter how much one struggles against tides.....

^ Glad that the links are still working, wrblee. good to se you here, too. :D

Let us know what you think of the movie, ya?

Careful.. lots of "hot HOT stuff" by LJJ-ssi. :blush: :lol:

Hi.Rubie,

:D I'm trying to download from clubbox that you told but it failed <_<

Now I'm trying to load from megaupload ...Hopefully it's success!

Lots of Hot Stuff of LJJ that what I wanna see..ha.ha.ha :P

Hi..Rubie,

I got questions...for the file that I upload from megaupload, there are 3 part of it.

So wondering how I can sync Sub Eng with those 3 parts?

I usually use Gom Player to watch movie and drag file srt (sub eng) to the Gom so I can see it.

But for 3 separated part..how can I watch the movie with one sub english file?

The file from megaupload is avi file? Why I can't play it with real player or Gom or Window Media? Or if I did something wrong? <_<

Guest jojijunjy

Very nice! After watching this I had to go back and rewatch certain scenes...starting with the rain, the umbrella, the quick into the car window kiss. It seems all so natural and compelling; she drives away without a word, stunned, spellbound; and he stands there and you know he knows there's no turning back for him...

She's beautiful inside and out, her character is complex, she's torn with guilt, and she cannot stop thinking of him. LJJ recognizes this beauty and slowly, he releases her passions and for himself, his own burning desires. It's all so graceful and honest...the next scenes of course that I rewatched especially were the sick in bed scene and then the video arcade sequence...Wow!

LJJ is HOT! He's mesmorizing. He puts all the ladies in a trance. The director choreographed just the right amount of unbuttoning, groping, and skin exposure. Add the heavy breathing, the right camera angle and lighting, and of course shots of LJJ's hard body...and swooooon, you need to catch your breath before you faint. I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

The entire movie was beautifully and meticulously shot. This has to one of the best love films I've seen.

• 2 months later...

January 13, 2008

Must-See Films in 2008

By Lee Hyo-won

Staff Reporter

Star Power Reigns Big Screen

This year, a long lineup of star-studded movies, both homegrown and Hollywood imports, awaits release with Korea's hottest stars and bona fide actors gracing the silver screen throughout 2008.

While a high profile cast hasn't always guaranteed a sellout, it would be hard to walk past movie posters featuring top stars.

The New Year starts off with a bang. Jun Ji-hyun (also known as Gianna Jun) makes her long-awaited comeback after a two-year hiatus opposite Hwang Jung-min in "A Man Who Was Superman," to open across theaters Jan. 31.

The movie garnered attention by butchering down Jun's "wholesome" image for the role of a chain-smoking, tomboyish filmmaker. Meanwhile, fans are anxious to see how Hwang will pull off his interesting role as Superman.

The red poster of "Hellcats" features three female stars representing their own generation: 47-year-old actress Lee Mi-suk ("Untold Scandal," 2003), whose sex appeal seems to grow stronger with each passing year; 25-year-old fashion icon Kim Min-hee, who appears onscreen for the first time in six years; and 15-year-old Ahn So-hee of the sensational K-pop group Wonder Girls, who is making headlines with her acting debut.

Tracing the highflying romances of these three women, this ultimate "chick flick" is slated for release Jan. 17.

A host of films boasting macho star power will be released this year. In March comes "Nuneneun Nun, Ieneun I" (Eye for an Eye, Tooth for a Tooth) starring two household names, Han Seok-gyu ("Shiri," 1998) and Cha Seung-won ("My Teacher, Mr. Kim," 2003). In his 16th film, Han gives an edge to his soft charisma as a merciless cop while Cha pumps up his muscles to play the perfect criminal.

The poster for "Sukmyeong" (Destiny) steals women's hearts and provokes men's jealousy as two "momjjang" or "hot body" actors appear together _ topless. Song Seung-heon makes a big comeback _ after serving in the military _ opposite Kwon Sang-woo in this action-packed drama about a friendship that goes sour.

Director Kim Jee-woon ("A Bittersweet Life," 2005) brings a "Korean-style Western" movie to the screens starring three of Korea's A-list male celebrities: "certified" actor Song Kang-ho, hallyu megastar Lee Byung-hun and heartthrob Jung Woo-sung.

The movie is set in the 1930s, during the Japanese occupation of Korea. Far away in Manchuria, the Good (Jung), the Bad (Lee) and the Weird (Song) become entangled in a train robbery case over a treasure map. This larger than life story becomes even more complicated as Japanese authorities and Korean independence fighters enter the scene.

Another highly anticipated film is "Ssanghwajeom," coming to theaters this summer. It combines the star power of Zo In-sung ("A Dirty Carnival," 2006) and Joo Jin-mo ("200 Pounds Beauty," 2006). Director Yoo Ha takes the two handsome actors back to Goguryeo Kingdom (37 B.C.-A.D. 668). Zo and Joo play the parts of a king and bodyguard, respectively, who become involved in a homosexual romance.

Other long-awaited films include low-budget projects that still shine with star power. Korea's celebrated director Kim Ki-duk brings together Korea's popular actress Lee Na-young and Japan's heartthrob in "Bimong" (Sad Dream), which will be in theaters in the fall/winter.

Actress Jeon Do-yeon, undoubtedly the biggest headline maker of 2007, continues her post-Cannes acting career through a small, mellow film "Meotjin Haru" (One Fine Day, working title), which is also slated for release in the fall/winter.

Filmmaker Park Chan-wook, whose name alone is enough to attract crowds, has fans anxiously waiting with "Bakjwi" (Bat, scheduled to show this spring) as well as a "Hongdangmu" (Carrot), a film he is producing for the first time.

Meanwhile, Hollywood films starring top Korean talent make 2008 an exciting year for fans: "Speed Racer" starring pop star Rain (Jung Ji-hoon) and Joon Park (Park Joon-hyung), the former member of K-pop group G.O.D.; "Laundry Warrior" with hot actor Jang Dong-kun (Jang Dong-gun); "Blood: The Last Vampire" with Jun Ji-hyun (Gianna Jun); and "Fetish" with Song Hye-kyo.

Other big movies to look forward to this summer are the latest installments of Hollywood blockbusters: the 22nd of the James Bond series and the fourth Harrison Ford classic "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" in May, as well as the Sylvester Stallone-helmed "Rambo 4" (release date in Korea to be announced).

Credits: hyowlee@koreatimes.co.kr

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/art/2.../141_17200.html

• 2 months later...

A bit quiet here and there.. April 2..

Happy birthday to Ms. LEE MI SOOK.. love her excellent acting and undeniable presence.

A talented actress.. with impressive charisma.. one of a kind.. :blush:

So glad to stumbled onto this thread.

I watched "An Affair" awhile back and I have never forgotten it. Every scene between LMS and LJJ is totally memorable and figuratively, musical. My favorite cinematic shot is of her looking out of his living room window, at the secret garden.

I'm sorry if some people were offended by their relationship and placed a moral stamp on their relationship. To me, these two people were, figuratively, dying. And, they only came alive when they found each other. Is it so morally correct to choose a slow death versus living a real life? I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to judge them; especially since I've not face the same choice.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone in this thread,

This movie seems so interesting and I've downloading all 3 parts but the part 3 link was dead, could anyone pls reupload it for me? I would like to see this movie. BTW could u pls reupload in mediafire or sendspace.

Thands in advance.

Hi Everyone in this thread,

This movie seems so interesting and I've downloading all 3 parts but the part 3 link was dead, could anyone pls reupload it for me? I would like to see this movie. BTW could u pls reupload in mediafire or sendspace.

Thands in advance.

Hi!

Thanks to ay_link, perhaps it'll be easier for you to try Idols-Unlimited. There are currently (8 parts) of the movie to be downloaded there.

http://idols-unlimited.com/kmovie-an-affair

Archived