Writer Kim Dae-woo, Lee Jae-yong

Cast Lee Jung-Jae, Kim Min, Lee Mi-sook, Song Young-chang

Runtime 107 minutes

Certificate NC

Year 1998

Country Korea

Alternate Titles Jung sa

m0010138ek3.jpg

Reviewed By: Angus Wolfe Murray (4 stars out of 5)

With perfect precision and an emphasis on body language, Korean director, Lee Jae-Yong, brings fresh energy to the oldest story in the world. The film is so well crafted and the actors so finely tuned that emotional intensity never implodes. Its simplicity is its strength.

A woman in her late thirties, married to an architect in Seoul, with one brattish son and a life in dire need of a service, is asked by her sister, who lives in America, to help her fiancé find an apartment.

He is 11 years younger, tall, serious and attractive. She begins to look forward to their journeys. He does more. He recognises something that she has long forgotten - her beauty and sensuality.

Their affair follows a recognisable route from sexual excitement to anguish and guilt. Jae-Yong never puts a foot wrong. The passion and pain is more real than madness. It opens like a flower, only to be trampled by circumstance. Awakening love, however illicit, is unbearable. Snatched moments of joy are like shards from heaven. Without a future, feelings have the clarity of diamonds. A fine romance.

Source: http://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/reviews.php?film_id=40

m001014004ny9.jpg

lms1lc4.pngphoto51ro0.jpg

photo52rn9.jpg

m0020413ze1.jpg

Lee Mi-sook

lms2bu4.jpglms3sh1.jpg

Lee Mi-sook (b. Apr. 2, 1960) first debuted in film at the age of twenty in Thoughtless Momo in 1979. By the mid-1980s she had became one of the best-known actresses of her era, together with Lee Bo-hee and Won Mi-kyung. Her most famous films from this era include Bae Chang-ho's Whale Hunting and That Winter Was Warm, Lee Doo-yong's Bbong and Eunuch, and Kwak Ji-kyun's Wanderer in Winter. Her early career lasted until the film Love Triangle in 1987, and then she retired from the cinema.

Over ten years later, however, Lee returned with a widely praised role in E J-yong's award-winning film An Affair, about a woman who falls in love with her sister's fiance. Using this film as a springboard, she re-launched her career.

In 2000 Lee was cast in the high profile project The Legend of Gingko, which was considered to be production company Kang Jegyu Film's followup to the successful Shiri (even though Kang himself was not directing). However the film proved to be a critial and commercial disappointment. Lee's next two films, Besame Mucho and Oh! Lala Sisters, were also more or less ignored by audiences. In contrast, her appearances in TV dramas such as Solitude (2002) were more successful.

However 2003 was one of Lee's best years, with her highly praised role in E J-yong's Untold Scandal, a retelling of the novel Dangerous Liasions, and her role as a single mother in Lee Eon-hee's well-received melodrama ...ing.

Partial filmography

Hellcats (2008)

...ing (2003)

Untold Scandal (2003)

Oh! LaLa Sisters (2002)

Besame Mucho (2001)

The Legend of Gingko (2000)

An Affair (1998)

Love Triangle (1987)

Affection (1987)

A Street Musician (1987)

Eunuch (1986)

Wanderer In Winter (1986)

Bbong (1985)

That Winter Was Warm (1984)

Autumn After Love (1984)

Whale Hunting (1984)

Strange Relationship (1983)

Thoughtless Momo (1979)

Lee Jung-jae

ljj4kg6.jpgljj5bv7.jpg

Lee Jung-jae (b. March 15, 1973), apart from being a top star in film and TV, also works as a highly successful fashion model. One year after his debut on television in 1993, Lee was cast in his first film, a feature by Bae Chang-ho. His breakthrough would come in late 1998 in the award-winning film An Affair by E-J Yong. This was followed up by another success, Our Sunny Days, for which he received a Best Actor award at the domestic Chungryong Awards ceremony.

After starring in the Korean-Japanese coproduction Asako in Ruby Shoes, released in December 2000, Lee found considerable popular success in a melodrama titled Last Present, where he was cast opposite Lee Young-ae, and in the action/mystery/drama The Last Witness directed by Bae Chang-ho. In 2002 he starred in the melodrama Over the Rainbow with Chang Jin-young. He was also rumored to be cast in an international coproduction to be shot in Korea and directed by Chinese filmmaker Chen Kaige, however this project appears to have never gotten off the ground.

In 2003 he starred opposite Lee Beom-soo in Oh! Brothers, a comic drama about two brothers, one of whom has an unusual disease. The film was one of Lee's biggest hits ever, topping three million admissions at the local box office. Nonetheless he remained out of the limelight for the next couple years. Finally at the end of 2005 he returns in Typhoon, a big-budget action blockbuster by Kwak Kyung-taek, the director of Friend (2001).

Apart from his acting, Lee is also known for having launched a chain of upscale Italian restaurants in Seoul named after his movie Il Mare. Having studied interior design, he himself took responsibility for designing the interiors of his restaurants.

Partial filmography

Mellow (2009)

Disturbance in Her Barroom (2008)

Typhoon (2005)

Oh! Brothers (2003)

Over the Rainbow (2002)

The Last Witness (2001)

Last Present (2001)

Asako in Ruby Shoes (2000)

Il Mare (2000)

Interview (2000)

The Uprising (1999)

Our Sunny Days (1999)

An Affair (1998)

Park vs. Park (1997)

I Am a Man (1994)

Awards

4th Newport Beach International Film Festival: Asian Cinema Kaleidoscope Prize

1999 Verona Film Festival (Schermi D'Amore): Best Artistic, Technical, or Creative Contribution

1999 Verona Film Festival (Schermi D'Amore): Critics Prize

1999 Fukuoka Asian Film Festival: Grand Prize

REVIEW of An Affair

m0010137bo4.jpg

This film, the debut feature by director Lee Jae-Yong, is a muted, introspective view of the feelings surrounding an affair. It features Lee Mi-Sook and Lee Jung-Jae as two people who find in each other's presence a sense of meaning and consolation. In early 1999, An Affair won an award for best Asian film at the Newport Beach International Film Festival in Los Angeles.

Seo-Hyun, who lives in Seoul with her husband and son, first meets her sister's fiancee in order to help the couple find a new apartment. Her sister is held up in America, and so the two new acquaintances start to arrange the details of the wedding together. As time passes they find themselves drawn to each other, and eventually start having an affair.

Lee Jae-Yong creates a rather distinctive mood in this film, through his use of plastered, gallery-like interiors and a careful selection of music. In addition, he draws forth a remarkable performance from lead actress Lee Mi-Sook, who expresses beautifully the complexities of her character.

For me the film captures most vividly the silent anguish of the wife before the affair. In witnessing the clumsy, unthinking attitude of her husband, and the extent to which her own feelings have become lost inside her, we realize that the affair is Seo-Hyun's only means of regaining her self. As we watch the relationship develop, we are struck more by the desperation with which the two are pulled together, rather than any feelings of intimacy they share.

Nonetheless, as the two lovers begin to find solace in each other, their old loneliness gradually transforms into feelings of desperation and guilt. The director skillfully augments the level of tension as the sister returns from America and both she and Seo-Hyun's husband begin to suspect that something is wrong.

Probably the darkest, loneliest feature of the year, An Affair draws us into the pain of another's life and challenges us to imagine ourselves in the same situation. (Darcy Paquet)

Source: koreanfilm.org

Clubbox

http://clubbox.co.kr/krfans thanks to xuhuidu

CB Search tip 정.사.An.Affair.情事.1998.srt-자막.中文字幕

English subs file for An Affair (thanks to ay_link :wub:)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8DGLBDLJ

An Affair (thanks to jtranla :wub:)

New link added August 6, 2008

z_MMEDIA5.gifhttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=PV9UQQ90

Or, to be combined using HJSplit

Part1 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6V1FRYPS

Part2 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=C1I212VQ

Part3 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U5LY4MA6 (edited with new link on Aug 6, thanks to jtranla)

Torrent

[isoHunt] An.Affair.1998.Korean Drama.torrent (55KB) thanks to ay_link

http://www.sendspace.com/file/lvxo27

p2p Link (thanks to the highlight by harliey_nick)

http://fadli.50webs.com/movie3.html

Related sites

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/...pid-1001829617/

http://www.cine21.com/Movies/Mov_Movie/mov...ail.php?id=2048

http://www.hancinema.net/korean_movie_An_Affair.php

Gratitude :wub:

CINE21, koreanfilm.org, hancinema.net, empas.com, LJJ-soompi thread

---

note1.gif

Although I've seen LJJ in Il Mare, I didn't watch An Affair till later and I have not seen LMS' work either. To me, she was simply captivating in the movie, charismatic actress with an awesome presence. Despite their age gap, the pairing of LMS-LJJ heats up the screen and more! :blush:

:excl: Please be familiar of the FORUM RULES

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

updated: July 20, 2009

The E J-yong Page

last updated December 23, 2004

ejyongb.jpg

E J-yong (this is his preferred spelling -- a more conventional spelling would be "Yi Jae-yong") was born in 1966 in Seoul. He studied Turkish at Hankook University of Foreign Studies. After graduating from university, he started studying filmmaking at the Korean Academy of Film Arts.

He first became known for his short film, Homo Videocus (1990) which he co-directed with Daniel H. Byun (Byun Hyeok), and which won the Prix Recherche and Prix de la Jeunesse at the Clermont-Ferrand Short Film Festival, and the Best Short Narrative award at the 1992 San Francisco Film Festival. In 1994 his documentary project, The Story of a City, was stopped in mid-production due to problems with the production company.

Finally breaking his long silence in 1998, he presented his feature film debut An Affair, which won great acclaim both from audiences and critics for his fine, sophisticated sense of directing. The film, which resurrected the career of actress Lee Mi-sook, was presented at the third Pusan International Film Festival, and went on to become the seventh highest-grossing Korean film of the year.

E's next project in 2000, Asako in Ruby Shoes, is one of the first instances of a Korean-Japanese co-production that utilized cast and crew members in both countries on more or less equal terms. Using a Korean crew for the scenes set in Seoul, and a Japanese crew for the shooting in Japan, the film ultimately proved a failure at the box-office, and received widely divergent critical assessments.

Then in the fall of 2003, E presented his costume drama Untold Scandal, based on the French novel Les Liaisons Dangereuses but set in 18th-century Korea. An unexpected smash hit, it set a new record for the biggest opening weekend for a Korean film and went on to sell over three million tickets. The film also marked the acting debut of TV actor Bae Yong-joon, who would go on to become a popular sensation in Japan in 2004.

E's most recent film, a short titled Joy of Love, was released on-line in late 2004.

Filmography

Dasepo Naughty Girls (2006)

Joy of Love (short) (2004)

Untold Scandal (2003)

Asako in Ruby Shoes (2001)

An Affair (1998)

Homo Videocus (short) (1990)

Essays and Thoughts

E J-yong Info Sheet by Lee Eunhye l Interview with E J-yong by Darcy Paquet

Awards and Honors

2004 Shanghai International Film Festival:

Best Director, Best Music (Lee Byung-woo) and Best Visual and Sound Effects to Untold Scandal

2004 Verona Film Festival (Schermi D'Amore):

"Stefano Reggiani" prize from the Veneto's Order of Journalists, plus the festival's award for "Best Artistic, Technical, or Creative Contribution" to Untold Scandal

4th Newport Beach International Film Festival:

Asian Cinema Kaleidoscope Prize to
An Affair

1999 Verona Film Festival (Schermi D'Amore):

Best Artistic, Technical, or Creative Contribution, plus the Critics Prize to
An Affair

1999 Fukuoka Asian Film Festival:

Grand Prize to
An Affair

1992 San Francisco Film Festival:

Best Short Narrative to Homo Videocus

1991 Clermont-Ferrand Short Film Festival:

Prix Recherche (Research Prize) and Prix de la Jeunesse (Youth Jury Prize) to Homo Videocus

Source: koreanfilm.org

Guest colon

its posted on crunchyroll.com if anyone wants to watch it. i watched a little bit of it and it was boring.

:w00t: "An Affair" very own Soompi thread! hehehe.. thanks so much rubie for 'fulfilling' my request :lol::wub:

You did such an awesome job with that first post... tsk tsk.. Beautiful! I'm so proud of ya... keke~ ^^

Just watched this movie couple days ago, and o boy, steaming HOT is probably not quite enough word to describe the overall 'atmosphere' of this movie. Our very own Mr. Robert-LJJ, and Lee Mi Sook, they did very well to 'act their age', and fits right in to the movie itself. Yeah for a real 13 YEARS apart! (they supposed to be 11 yrs apart in the movie)

But, seriously? They're so HOT for each other in "An Affair."

Even though I was a bit shocked to find out what kind of genre LJJ did years ago (this movie was released in October '98, so ermm 9 years ago), but I can't help myself to stop praising this guy's acting. What a talent!

In those explicit scenes, both of them did such an artistic job on it, in which I applaud them a lot.

Very pro and it leaves you oozing for hotness and well, you gotta be matured enough to watch this kind of scenes, otherwise it may give you the tendency to be shy and look away. lol.

Oh, and talking about the ending... well, even though I wish they'd extend about 5 more minutes and do a bit of camera angle trick between them (

they're already in the same plane for goodness sake

), let's just say I'm a bit happy for that little glance of hope. LoL. And no wonder this drama won awards too back then. Bravo!

photo50pk2.jpg

Guest ripgal

I knew somebody would just rush into this thread..:rolleyes: HAHAH..

I can't wait to watch the movie now.. why is my download so freaking slow? <_<

I knew somebody would just rush into this thread..:rolleyes: HAHAH..

I can't wait to watch the movie now.. why is my download so freaking slow? <_<

HAHAHA... :D :blush:

can't help it... gotta support rubie and her beautiful thread... hee~

Found some pictures, but perhaps Jo, you gotta skim through this and not to spoil yourself.. hehe!

I'll just put thumbnails for them, so it'll be in miniature view for those who haven't seen this movie ^_^

af5mu7.th.jpg
af1sa8.th.jpg

af2ux2.th.jpg
af3bp2.th.jpg

af4ni5.th.jpg

Guest ripgal

Shenny, you're definitely spoiling me. I haven't seen LJJ's kisses before.. and those caps of LJJ kissing LMS make me wana see more! HAHAHA..XD Gotta restrain myself.. Maybe I should just load some scenes from crunchyroll just to see the scenes..:w00t: HAHAHA..I'm on my pervert-ish mode miahne.. thanx to somebody again. LOL..

The moral of the story, ladies, is when you play with fire, you get all the fun, danger, and the pain. But who cares about the pain, because it'll eventually heal itself... especially if the reward is such a FINE -and passionate- young man. ~sigh.. this is why i'm so not ready to get married yet. This movie freaked me out.

I just got done watching this movie! So steaming hot between the 2 of them ^^, I just love this kind of story line :lol:^_^ I wanted them to have a happy end , but they are in the same plane... so I guess they going to be together ???

:w00t: "An Affair" very own Soompi thread! hehehe.. thanks so much rubie for 'fulfilling' my request :lol::wub:

You did such an awesome job with that first post... tsk tsk.. Beautiful! I'm so proud of ya... keke~ ^^

Just watched this movie couple days ago, and o boy, steaming HOT is probably not quite enough word to describe the overall 'atmosphere' of this movie. Our very own Mr. Robert-LJJ, and Lee Mi Sook, they did very well to 'act their age', and fits right in to the movie itself. Yeah for a real 13 YEARS apart! (they supposed to be 11 yrs apart in the movie)

But, seriously? They're so HOT for each other in "An Affair."

Even though I was a bit shocked to find out what kind of genre LJJ did years ago (this movie was released in October '98, so ermm 9 years ago), but I can't help myself to stop praising this guy's acting. What a talent!

In those explicit scenes, both of them did such an artistic job on it, in which I applaud them a lot.

Very pro and it leaves you oozing for hotness and well, you gotta be matured enough to watch this kind of scenes, otherwise it may give you the tendency to be shy and look away. lol.

Oh, and talking about the ending... well, even though I wish they'd extend about 5 more minutes and do a bit of camera angle trick between them (

they're already in the same plane for goodness sake

), let's just say I'm a bit happy for that little glance of hope. LoL. And no wonder this drama won awards too back then. Bravo!

:blush: Thanks so much Shenny-sis for the warm words, really appreciate the support... they're just some simple add-ons :P ...

to highlight the movie. Some may think it's redundant but I've always thought a little effort & background info (as opposed to just putting up a teeny poster and the actors' names) will go a long way. I've loved the drama threads' first post... so well put together and very informative... could never top that but always try to take the good points. Your drama threads especially, are simply fabulous... not only to provide info, links and various tidbits but a testament on how a series is truly appreciated.

Now back to An Affair... aren't LJJ and LMS simply intense? Despite their very intimate scenes, they were done very nicely with maturity that it doesn't come as too raunchy. Compared to the recent movies of the same genre that some young Kactors have debuted with... An Affair is actually well-presented with a story to tell. What we see or don't see were never too much but adequately shot to show how their attraction starts to develop... slowly but surely burning up the screens. :sweatingbullets:

I was really surprised seeing LMS the first time, even in a role so ordinary... her screen presence was awesome, just can't take my eyes off her actually :blush: and put LJJ in the equation... oooh.. sizzling duo. :wub:

Thanks to everyone for the various input, hope more will continue to share their thoughts with us. ^_^

They (the actors, the writers, the directors) did such a good job, they almost made me believe wrong is right. :sweatingbullets:

sigh ..but it was still morally wrong . and the hurts it bring to the family it somwhat scared me ..what is a family now that it is so fragile ...i dun know why when i watch this that time so long ago .there was abit of resistance .. is it really such a hard task to maintain a marriage ..does love really justify everything that is done ?..ya maybe it does .depending on which party you are .

.. know well this woman's marriage does not give her the desires she want in life .....

both are third party to each other's existing relationship ...you see two person burnt up in their passsion for each other .was it lust first or was it love .i started to debate between it as i see how they come together in such fiery passion ...

.though yes she as a woman has her freedom when as a wife she was chained ..to her own loneliness i suppose ..it took her courage and passion to break free but the consequence of it i will never know ..

this movie for me was more about a woman's loneliness ......and this young man temptation of love .

Guest inez

I LURVE this movie!..watch it so many times..(Uncensored of coz..)

wow..especially the video arcade scene...*fans self*..

Guest thunderbolt

An Affair was one of the first K-movies I watched. Must have been at least 4 years ago. I watched the censored VCD version and loved the movie so much I went online and ordered the DVD. My first time buying a K-movie online. I remember feeling very nervous while waiting for it because I wasn't sure it would make it past customs! It was my first introduction to LJJ and Lee Mi-sook and I've been a fan of both eversince.

Thank you for this thread!

Guest heartshapelove

YAY! thanks for making this thread!

i was on a korean movie blog site [i forgot the name] but it had An Affair listed on there and was really hopeing that i could find a place to download it at. so then on the same day, before checking on soompi; i randomly was on a torrent searching site and saw the title Affair! & so of course i started dling it right away!

with a title like An Affair and LJH acting in it, im sure itll be HOTT!! xD

*excited*

sigh ..but it was still morally wrong . and the hurts it bring to the family it somwhat scared me ..what is a family now that it is so fragile ...i dun know why when i watch this that time so long ago .there was abit of resistance .. is it really such a hard task to maintain a marriage ..does love really justify everything that is done ?..ya maybe it does .depending on which party you are .

.. know well this woman's marriage does not give her the desires she want in life .....

both are third party to each other's existing relationship ...you see two person burnt up in their passsion for each other .was it lust first or was it love .i started to debate between it as i see how they come together in such fiery passion ...

.though yes she as a woman has her freedom when as a wife she was chained ..to her own loneliness i suppose ..it took her courage and passion to break free but the consequence of it i will never know ..

this movie for me was more about a woman's loneliness ......and this young man temptation of love .

With a husband and kid in tow, we would think she knows a thing or two about love and commitment, but look at what this young man has done to her wise judgement. She left her family - just.like.that -. And it's not his fault either. He really thinks that he finds his true love in her. But does he really? I think he's just being a naive young boy driven by his blind passion, and what a long way he still has to go through. If I have to write the ending, these two won't end up together. Yeah, I'm a cold and cynical B.

You won't know who your true love is until the day you die. Whoever's staying beside your death bed, that's the one. <_<

With a husband and kid in tow, we would think she knows a thing or two about love and commitment, but look at what this young man has done to her wise judgement. She left her family - just.like.that -. And it's not his fault either. He really thinks that he finds his true love in her. But does he really? I think he's just being a naive young boy driven by his blind passion, and what a long way he still has to go through. If I have to write the ending, these two won't end up together. Yeah, I'm a cold and cynical B.

You won't know who your true love is until the day you die. Whoever's staying beside your death bed, that's the one. <_<

done to her wise judgement ..ya ah.. i think the young man stripped her of sanity and ...passion consumed her rationality ...well the ending .lol i dun know how to rewrite the ending ..i just know .i dun really have sense of relief or happiness .but more like wondering ....is this passion going to last .was i being too pessimistic...lol or being too unromantic ..

..i cant really imagine myself in her situation ..what's a woman going to do with such temptation ..especially i think for her

it was completely meaningless since her life become so lifeless ..routine after routine but the frightening thing was she was too real .... it can happen to any of us ..this feeling of being so void and meaningless ...and what will we do to break free of that should it become too unbearable ,or like her case ..there exist an exit for her to get out of the cage.but then u had to break some rules ..?.

lol..

nice talking to you abt this movie.~ ^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

before i forget to say .

the cast performance was great~ one of these day i will dig out the disc again to rewatch .....

:blush: Thanks so much Shenny-sis for the warm words, really appreciate the support... they're just some simple add-ons :P ...

to highlight the movie. Some may think it's redundant but I've always thought a little effort & background info (as opposed to just putting up a teeny poster and the actors' names) will go a long way. I've loved the drama threads' first post... so well put together and very informative... could never top that but always try to take the good points. Your drama threads especially, are simply fabulous... not only to provide info, links and various tidbits but a testament on how a series is truly appreciated.

:blush: ^^ I never intended to have those first post as my personal testimony to the drama itself, but it's really heartwarming to read it from your point of view. Thanks rubie sis.. ^^

Back to "An Affair", I just like how this movie ended because USUALLY, in this case, they break up, and it leaves us with nothing. An affair ends in the other party knowing about it, and that's it. Oh, sometimes they die too, or get killed, lol. Things like that depressed me =P

But, this one is really 'refreshing' and it gives a small hope at the end, knowing that they're in fact on the same plane.

Hehe.. yea yea.. it's morally wrong for both of them to hurt their loved ones like that.

Especially her, when she just left her family like that (like the hubby said, how could she? what about their son?)

Then I began to think, in real life, could this happen? Sure. Lots of Hollywood couples do it, and do they get judged by their action? Of course. But since this is a movie, and call me bias, like gerryg said, they did it so well, I'm ALMOST confused myself as to distinguish between the morally right and wrong. So I ended up rooting for them to get together at the end. Haha. :P

• 3 weeks later...

AN AFFAIR

affair1cl4.gif

"...an arresting debut by young director Lee Jae-Yong that will appeal to buffs...who can recognize the genre-bending at work." - Derek Elley, Variety

AN AFFAIR pins marriage to the dissecting tray and goes to work, laying it open and exposing its guts to the unblinking eye of the camera. Seo-Hyun has lived all her life as a good girl and, now married, she's the kind of lady who gives the Stepford wives a good name. Her sister is getting married, and asks Seo-Hyun to help her fiance' plan the wedding while she wraps things up in the US. The two meet, and something inside Seo-Hyun wakes up hungry. He's hungry, too and before long their orderly lives are as shattered as their wedding vows.

Resembling a Raymond Carver story, AN AFFAIR is a minimalist nightmare filmed in different degrees of sterility, ranging from art gallery clean to ICU antiseptic. Ritualizing modern life, it horrifyingly reduces our complex, multi-faceted existences into a series of possessions and empty, repetitive tasks: picking up the kids, dropping off the kids, having a meal, sitting in a coffee shop, picking up the kids, making dinner, dropping off the kids, feeding the fish, having sex. It all unfolds in icy, stark interiors, devoid of everything but the most significant objects. Modern living is distilled into a thin, clear poison that kills the heart.

The first film from director Lee Jae-Yong, this was a popular arthouse film in Korea, with most of the attention going to Lee Mi-Sook's performance as the robotic, middle-aged Seo-Hyun. Lee Jae-Yong was a popular actress in the 80's, but in 1987 she got married and retired from film. AN AFFAIR is her comeback, and, now 39, she plays the gorgeously restrained, subliminally sexual Seo-Hyun as if she's drawing from her own life. Audiences were shocked to see a sexualized woman over the age of 29 up onscreen, but they may have been more shocked (although they won't admit it) of what hay AN AFFAIR makes of their own lives. Because Seo-Hyun has it together when the movie begins, except having it together looks like a living hell. As her affair blossoms and her skin goes from a metallic grey to a flushed pink, the outpouring of emotions destroys the lives of everything and everyone standing nearby, step-by-step, as meticulously and implacably as a virus. This is movie-viewing as an exercise in audience discomfort. Razor-edged and lonely, AN AFFAIR is ultimately a test of the audiences' empathy as it takes them by the hair and drags them over the broken pieces of someone else's life.

Awards Winner, Best Asian Film, Newport Beach International Film Festival.

Gratitude http://www.subwaycinema.com/frames/archive...01/anaffair.htm

Archived