[variety] Global Talk Show 미녀들의 수다

Guest jahye

Totally stoked to see a thread on soompi for this show. It's actually one of my faves, I watch this regularly. For a mainstream show, I think it does an okay job of highlighting the quirks of Korean culture. It's not going to be the most indepth or like risque expose ever because, really, mainstream tv, when is it really scathing?

But more introspective than other Korean shows. I like it when people offer both positive and negative insights into Korean culture. Surely people can't think Korea is that perfect. (Okay, nevermind, I forget who I speak of XDDDD) It's funny, you wouldn't have a show like that in the US. People in the US think something is wrong with you if you can't speak English. It's a bit sad that it's so amazing that the panelists speak Korean so well. I'm jealous of their language abilities myself, but I suppose that is the curse of the gyopo. But yes, totally obsessed. Love it!

It depends on where in the US you're talking of. Some areas people are really ignorant, and other areas people are pretty open and don't mind if a person's English isn't perfect. But I'm sure some Koreans get annoyed if you can't speak Korean properly. Some of my friends who are Koreans have gotten some dirty stares while they were out in Seoul because their Korean wasn't perfect.

I think the reason why a show like this wouldn't work in the US is because the US already has a pretty diverse population. It's sorta like not as interesting. Like "Oh, you're from China? Well there's a whole bunch of Chinese people in San Francisco". I know that's a little extreme, but I think for countries like Korea or Japan or anywhere that the population is a little more homogeneous the concept would work better. Also, the girls on this show are pretty fluent and sometimes downright native when it comes to their Korean and that's impressive since Korean isn't a common language outside of Korea. But in the US it isn't uncommon to see people speak English since English is a standard in most places of the world, so it isn't as impressive to some. Maybe a show that took people from different ethnic/social groups in the US would make for a good show and not necessarily internationals. I'm getting the feeling that I'm not really saying what I want to say, but I hope I made sense ^^;

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I still speak Korean. I left Korea when I was 9 (now I'm 45 so you can do the math, LOL!) so I know grade level Korean. I improved alot by watching Korean dramas.

Yes there are alot of schools that teaches Korean in US. My sister-in-law uses to teach in one of those school. When she was teaching there, I should of bought some Korean-English books for my kids and myself but I didn't , and now I'm regretting it because both of my boys doesn't speak Korean. I think one of the reason is we live in Monterey Park, CA where most of the neighbors are Chinese so all their friends are Chinese.

If you are Shinhwa fan, you probably seen some of the translations I did with Shinhwa clips. I can do basic translation but much as I would love to translate for you guys for Chattering Beauties, my Korean is not good enough to translate and also, I work full time so it's too time consuming to translate the whole show.

Since this show is scripted, that's why some of the words, beauties have problem understanding them and pronouncing them. I definately don't understand them unless they put those words on screen and I can look it up on my Korean dictionary.

I didn't have time to watch last night's show and will probably watch it tonight.

I'm really looking forward to next week's show with Dongwan!

Dominque, did Dongwan have alot of air time? Did he talk alot? Sometimes I see guests who doesn't say more than couple of words. Is it because their comments are cut off or they just didn't say anything?

mommie Alice, you still speak korean? arent there like school's int he US that teach korean?^^ i heard there were. lol.

Hi again,

I'm glad to hear that show is not scripted. At first I didnt think so but I think I read (here?) it's scripted. Like I mentioned, some of the words you gals use, I didn't know what you gals meant.

And I was not talking about shcj forum...I was talking about Shinhwa forum in Soompi where I'm more active. Under music, Junjin, Hyesung, Minwoo, Dongwan, and Shinhwa has their own forums. Under Dramas, Minwoo, Dongwan, Andy, Eric, and Junjin has their own forum there too.

Starting which episodes are you looking for in HQ?

they don't do that to people who don't look like Koreans, say white, black and other asian people. But if you look Korean, they give you the dirty look cause they assume you guys all speak the language, that you SHOULD. They are VERY harsh with kyopos I think. It's hard for them to understand that you were born in another country (or immigrated) and of course couldn't speak the language outside of your house...i've heard very harsh things T_T

yea, that's what I meant. All my non-Asian friends get really friendly reactions from all these Koreans wanting to practice their English. It's sort of a double standard. Kinda sad really.

so what do you do when you're not on the show?

Guest tvxqbuzz7921

omgosh! Chae is Dominique from 미녀들의 수다? that's CRAZY!!! i really liked her in the show but i haven't watched it in a while since no one really uploads it anymore....>.<

i remember her talking about when she watched korean drama's online....like "what happened in bali" or something....*lol.....

anyways that's really cool that she's actually registered in soompi...:P

gosh, i wish i could be apart of a show like that....i can speak korean :P...but then i don't think any of the gals on the show are korean....except maybe this one girl whose last name is kwon....can't remember her first name, i think she's from ecuador??

Guest chuck97

How come "Eva" claim she does not speak or understand korean fluently in Star Golden Bell? So fake.

Eva is the half American, half Japanese girl.

LOL! I don't think you can be on the show if you are 100% Korean. I think you have to have mixture of non-Korean blood in order to qualify.

The girl you are talking about is Diana Kwon. I'm assuming her father is Korean and her mother Ecuadorian? In her bio, she wrote she came to find her roots.

I think there are one or 2 other girls who are 1/2 Korean and 1/2 something else.

gosh, i wish i could be apart of a show like that....i can speak korean :P...but then i don't think any of the gals on the show are korean....except maybe this one girl whose last name is kwon....can't remember her first name, i think she's from ecuador??

I don't know about her claiming she doesn't speak/understand Korean fluently om Star Golden Bell but by watching her on Global Talk, her Korean is pretty good but not fluent. She still seem to have problem with some vocabuary and pronouncing certain words.

To me person who was most fluent was Leslie and I really miss her.

Oh, and Eva's father is British and her mother is Japanese.

How come "Eva" claim she does not speak or understand korean fluently in Star Golden Bell? So fake.Eva is the half American, half Japanese girl.

Guest babymarzy07

Yes, I still speak Korean. I left Korea when I was 9 (now I'm 45 so you can do the math, LOL!) so I know grade level Korean. I improved alot by watching Korean dramas.

Yes there are alot of schools that teaches Korean in US. My sister-in-law uses to teach in one of those school. When she was teaching there, I should of bought some Korean-English books for my kids and myself but I didn't , and now I'm regretting it because both of my boys doesn't speak Korean. I think one of the reason is we live in Monterey Park, CA where most of the neighbors are Chinese so all their friends are Chinese.

If you are Shinhwa fan, you probably seen some of the translations I did with Shinhwa clips. I can do basic translation but much as I would love to translate for you guys for Chattering Beauties, my Korean is not good enough to translate and also, I work full time so it's too time consuming to translate the whole show.

Since this show is scripted, that's why some of the words, beauties have problem understanding them and pronouncing them. I definately don't understand them unless they put those words on screen and I can look it up on my Korean dictionary.

Wow mommie Alice, very interesting to know that. Im chinese, I want to learn some Korean.I wish I had a dictionary. Im mostly learning some stuff like how to read on my own. Im getting more used to it through the dramas I watch too. :D I hope KBSworld can translate it too so I can fully understand the different points of views. It seems very interesting. I just try and pick up words, Im familiar with. :D

they don't do that to people who don't look like Koreans, say white, black and other asian people. But if you look Korean, they give you the dirty look cause they assume you guys all speak the language, that you SHOULD. They are VERY harsh with kyopos I think. It's hard for them to understand that you were born in another country (or immigrated) and of course couldn't speak the language outside of your house...i've heard very harsh things T_TSaying the show is scripted is not true...we wrote our stuff. We all write seperatly our own experiences in Korea, each week in a cyworld club. It takes me hours to write in Korean. So yes there is a script, but it's stuff we wrote and that the writers thought it was interesting (they don't put EVERYTHING in). If there's some words we don't really know is because we asked the writers before starting how to say those words.

I found an HQ for the episode with FTTS ( i love those guys :D) Wow it must be tough. I went to korea, i knew a bit but it was broken a lot. But they were nice to me and all. I was trying. Lols. I think the younger generations can understand that better? But the older people I met had a really hard time. I look nearly korean, im asian i can look similar. The older people couldnt converse and was abit a aloof it seemed.

Dominique, what do you do aside from the show? What do you like doing in korea?

yea, that's what I meant. All my non-Asian friends get really friendly reactions from all these Koreans wanting to practice their English. It's sort of a double standard. Kinda sad really.

Its definitely a double standard. Living in a country that's not your own, i think there's usually is. If that makes sense.

Guest AsOne

omg skinnyheejin!! I remember that name in solid07!! I was BoA-MiLkyWaYRoX on solid07 haha. Wow can't believe your on this show. Tell us how it was to meet Fly to the sky!!! >.<

Dominique, you really sing good!

Just watched today's episode. It was interesting how alot of you believe in "jum". When my mother was alive, she used to go all the time.

I thought Dongwan would have talked more but he was kind of quiet which is unusual.

Noticed Junko was missing. Isn't she Shinhwa fan too? or does she only like Hyesung?

I saw Saori as a guest in another game show. Haven't seen her on the show lately.

So who is going to be on next Monday?

Guest freakaway

hey dominique i'm an avid supporter of the show.........i loved it ever since i saw the 1st episode..... kinda stumble upon the show by accident on youtube and got intrigued cuz, obviously the attraction of the show is foreigners speaking korean so well.......eventho im not korean and don't understand wat u guys are saying AT ALL!!!!!!!! hehehe....i actually have a ques for you...... for the longest time i had this strong curiosity and couldn't understand why koreans when asking for forgiveness always rub both of their palms together......i've seen a lotta kdrama can say im a k-addict now and everytime they beg or ask for forgiveness they would rub their palms together........izzit possible for you to tell me why they do this if u know? izzit some sorta culture thing of is there a history to it.........anyway sorry for rambling on for so long just wondering if you could possibly answer this dilema of mine dat i've been trying so hard to figure out......oh and if you dun know, this is just a tot of mind that you can choose to ignore if you want to, can you ask the panel of ppl next time your on

the show cuz it would be fun to see wat their answers are...........anyway thanks again and i love the show and the contestants on it you guys just make it worthwile watching.............thanks againnnnnnnn

Wow, Saori decided to become a "star"? Interesting.....I didn't understand why she was in Korean Quiz show when she won't know any of the answers....it was hard for even Korean-born.

I think the palm thing person is talking about is for example, when people go to the temple, they rub their hand together in front of the temple/budda....do you know what I mean?

Yes, Korean do that but I'm not sure exactly but meaning of the rubbing hands is "bim-ni-na" which also can be translated as "asking for forgiveness" so maybe that's why?

I remember doing that as a child when I got in trouble..... :rolleyes:

Guest babymarzy07

mmm, junko went to Japan for a while...so I don't know when she is going to be back on the show....

As for Fly to the Sky, hwanhee seemed annoyed so i don't really have a good image of him, he did sign my ftts CD and of course Brian is always as nice and gentle ;)

As for Saori, she decided to become a "star" and found herself a manager...So she won't be back on our show. Plus i heard she will make a Cd..which threw me on the floor for obvious reasons...anyway...won't say more, you can complete the sentence..ehehhe

for the palm thing...i've never seen that T_T i just don't know what you're talking about ^^;;;

for the HQ vids, i'm trying to find from 31...i don't want LQ T_T

Domnique,

I found hq vids of the recent eps of FTTS, and Dongwan. Creidesca's cb has it. :D I think depending on the guests the CB's get it. :D

The rubbing thing, in chinese customs we do it in the temple sometimes when lighting incense.

Wow ur lucky, i wish they can sign my cd too. Brian's my fave, he always gives this charming and fun aura that's easy to be comfy with i think. Hmmm.. what was Hwanhee annoyed at? Did a question or people bother him much?

Really a cd? Hmmm... ill reserve judgement for later. hehehehe

Oh btw, I saw u sing too! it was good. Hehehe ^^

• 2 weeks later...
Guest _untouchable*M

does anyone happen to have this weeks episode (featuring Minwoo) on a non-clubbox link? please and thank you :)

Guest dramaok

i wish they would make a guy version.

미남 no 멋진남들의 다이얼로그...? 훈남 수다?

i would totally watch.

Guest cydevil

Anybody seen Sayuri's "interesting" pictures? They're pretty damn funny! Anyways, she seems to be a very confident individual.

Archived