Speed Racer -live Action Movie-

Guest JiNi;

Guest Myss Blewm

I don't know. I was actually expecting this to be really really terrible, but from what I've seen it looks more promising than I had initially thought. Emile Hirsh actually does remind me of Speed Racer. XD Anyway, last week I received my EW and Speed Racer was the cover story. I scanned it all, and apologies to a few of the bad scans. I got excited and accidentally ripped a page in the middle of scanning. >__<

speedracer01.jpg

speedracer02.jpg

speedracer03.jpg

speedracer04.jpg

speedracer05.jpg

speedracer06.jpg

speedracer07.jpg

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest loveNpeace

Really? He plays a Korean?

His character's name really threw me off....

"Taejo Togokhan"

The first name could pass off as Korean, but Korean last names are usually one syllable.

Sometimes two, but I've never heard of a three syllable last name.

I thought they just mixed a bunch of Asian sounding syllables together to get some random name. :blink:

http://www.rain-usa.com/bbs/data/press/2rfdn47hr0.jpg

A full-length body picture of global pop star, Rain who plays Taejo Togokhan in his Hollywood debut movie, “Speed Racer” was revealed recently and the Korean words emblazoned on his track suit aroused interest.

“Speed Racer” is adapted from 1960s Japanese anime Mach GoGoGo which was authored by Tatsuo Yoshida. The movie is written and directed by the Wachowski brothers of Matrix trilogy fame.

Rain plays a East Asian rookie driver and his character invited criticism in the production stage because his Taejo Togokhan character was originally Japanese but yet he was representing Korea.

So with that in mind, Rain started brainstorming in order to make his Taejo character look Koreanised and one of his ideas was to emblazon Korean wordings on his track suit and helmet.

According to Rain’s management, “Rain is one of Korea’s top stars and with this being a Hollywood movie, we have been trying our best to change the original Japanese driver image into a Korean one. He (Rain) suggested to the production company to emblazon Korean words on his track suit and helmet and they thought it was a feasible idea and it was later adopted.

They also added that the Korean words emblazoned on the left arm of his track suit and helmet wrote, “Togokhan” which also meant that the Japanese identity was being marginalized.

Rain’s movie, “Speed Racer” will be shown all over the world on 8th May. He is now currently undergoing training in Berlin, Germany for his leading role in Hollywood movie, “Ninja Assassin”.

credits: coolsmurf.wordpress / asianfanatics.net

image credits as labeled

Slightly Edited by dsl99a@Rain-USA

Guest Miro25

After seeing the trailer and hearing about the casting I can't wait to see Speed Racer. Not to mention the Wachowski bothers, I don't think they can go wrong. There is actually a contest for a trip to the premiere and a Mach 5 Corvette from the actual film. I'm giving it a shot...why not?!?

Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

i saw the trailer in the theatre and it looks so mindblowingly trippy (all those colors!)

if they have a 3D showing or something, i'll go watch it.

Hey Everyone!

I just found out that the Movie Premiere for SPEED RACER will be:

WHEN:

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Red carpet arrivals begin 4:00 PM

WHERE:

At the Nokia Theatre (next to the Staples Center)

777 Chick Hearn Court, Los Angeles, CA 90015

Click Here To Read The (OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE)

SPEED RACER will be released on Friday, May 9th.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest soupthis

im put off by ricci being in this movie, she is annoying, freaky, and isnt as clever as she thinks she is. they gave rain some miniature part and lines, god, they basically used speed race to boost an all caucasian cast. if i support this movie, it like telling them to keep at the asian remakes but exclude the actual asian actors. this film is a departure from the improvement the forbidden kingdom had; more trust in foreign actors/actresses and opening the gates for us to see more of them.

Guest losborrachos

^sorry, but when i heard "forbidden kingdom" and "improvement" in the same sentence, i had to laugh. which part of a journey to the west-adaptation with a little white kid as the main character is a positive thing, exactly? here's the truth, plain and simple: hollywood wants money. until films with asian actors in main roles start making money (as far as i remember, "the tuxedo", "replacement killers", "the one", etc. etc. were all box-office flops) they will not have an all-asian cast in what is basically a hollywood film. it's not a conspiracy--it's good economic sense. i'm against ignorant remakes in general, but once a film is remade, it makes no sense to have a cast that's not gonna get people into the theaters. and it gets harder for anime adaptations in general, because anime characters have no defining racial characteristics. in fact, mukokuseki means most anime characters have distinctly western features (mach gogogo was created after elvis presley and sean connery), so having a caucasian cast makes a lot of sense, hollywood or not.

im put off by ricci being in this movie, she is annoying, freaky, and isnt as clever as she thinks she is. they gave rain some miniature part and lines, god, they basically used speed race to boost an all caucasian cast. if i support this movie, it like telling them to keep at the asian remakes but exclude the actual asian actors. this film is a departure from the improvement the forbidden kingdom had; more trust in foreign actors/actresses and opening the gates for us to see more of them.

What asian people u know have blue eyes?

Speed, Trixie, all the family in Speed Racer are white!

^sorry, but when i heard "forbidden kingdom" and "improvement" in the same sentence, i had to laugh. which part of a journey to the west-adaptation with a little white kid as the main character is a positive thing, exactly? here's the truth, plain and simple: hollywood wants money. until films with asian actors in main roles start making money (as far as i remember, "the tuxedo", "replacement killers", "the one", etc. etc. were all box-office flops) they will not have an all-asian cast in what is basically a hollywood film. it's not a conspiracy--it's good economic sense. i'm against ignorant remakes in general, but once a film is remade, it makes no sense to have a cast that's not gonna get people into the theaters. and it gets harder for anime adaptations in general, because anime characters have no defining racial characteristics. in fact, mukokuseki means most anime characters have distinctly western features (mach gogogo was created after elvis presley and sean connery), so having a caucasian cast makes a lot of sense, hollywood or not.

Exactly, I swear most japanese anime characters look caucasian majority of the time

Ichigo from Bleach looks white, Naruto looks white, I don't know any japanese men with blonde hair and blue eyes. I don't get how people get so angry when they caucasians to play anime characters when 90% of the time they look white anyway.

Guest loveNpeace

Exactly, I swear most japanese anime characters look caucasian majority of the time

Ichigo from Bleach looks white, Naruto looks white, I don't know any japanese men with blonde hair and blue eyes. I don't get how people get so angry when they caucasians to play anime characters when 90% of the time they look white anyway.

they can bleach their hair and wear contacts. o.0

or they have a rare disease that mutates their eye color :unsure: ?

they can bleach their hair and wear contacts. o.0

or they have a rare disease that mutates their eye color :unsure: ?

They wouldnt look right

look how Sailor Moon Live Action turned out

it was awful, and look how terrible Junnosuke looked in Yukan Club

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xkiseki

did anyone notice that Bi and one of the guys from god is in it. O_O i had no idea they were going into acting in the U.S. i saw both of them in the movie preview and was just surprised... stunned really.

Guest res0nate

I've heard very awful things about Bi's performance and acting ability so I'm not surprised about that at all.

Guest soupthis

you're really poor at making something culturally offending more "acceptable", infact i suspect these views are because of intellectual ineptitude rather than social caging by your society. or maybe both.

let's first address one thing, asian actors/actresses here dont get the same chance nor do the same marketing scale taken for them, if hollywood stop finding ways to marginalize them, how do you know their films wont score bigger? those films you mentioned were office flops for reasons aside from just the actors involved, the tuxedo was shtt for sure, whoever penned that script doesnt deserve the money for it. jackie and hewitt dont have the same appeal for this either but hollywood still thinks they do, which is sad. casting directors just refuse to change with the time. i am saying use some new people and give more asian actors/actresses a chance with this new Speed Racer film, it doesnt have to be an all asian cast but at least either trixie or emile since the mind behind the anime was asian, his characters are derivatives of his cultural influence. hollywood wants to make money, that's a given, but they prefer caucasian oppose to asians not necessarily because they think the film otherwise wont have potential but it has to do more with cultural bias and wanting to bring fame to those like themselves. what i liked about forbidden kingdom is although they put the white kid in, there were also two more foreign actresses. thats the feat im speaking of, i have no idea what else you spat on about nor am i interested.

emile hirsh and christina ricci? these two d-grade actors are gonna get ppl into theatres? what a joke. people dont know who the latter is and christina is disgusting.

you loborachos and lucasbunny, whether asian, caucasian or black, albino want someone to identify with in your little minds but dont have the honest character to admit it, you really do share the same brain. fit some substance and empathy in there then we'll talk again. :wacko:

you're really poor at making something culturally offending more "acceptable", infact i suspect these views are because of intellectual ineptitude rather than social caging by your society. or maybe both.

let's first address one thing, asian actors/actresses here dont get the same chance nor do the same marketing scale taken for them, if hollywood stop finding ways to marginalize them, how do you know their films wont score bigger? those films you mentioned were office flops for reasons aside from just the actors involved, the tuxedo was shtt for sure, whoever penned that script doesnt deserve the money for it. jackie and hewitt dont have the same appeal for this either but hollywood still thinks they do, which is sad. casting directors just refuse to change with the time. i am saying use some new people and give more asian actors/actresses a chance with this new Speed Racer film, it doesnt have to be an all asian cast but at least either trixie or emile since the mind behind the anime was asian, his characters are derivatives of his cultural influence. hollywood wants to make money, that's a given, but they prefer caucasian oppose to asians not necessarily because they think the film otherwise wont have potential but it has to do more with cultural bias and wanting to bring fame to those like themselves. what i liked about forbidden kingdom is although they put the white kid in, there were also two more foreign actresses. thats the feat im speaking of, i have no idea what else you spat on about nor am i interested.

emile hirsh and christina ricci? these two d-grade actors are gonna get ppl into theatres? what a joke. people dont know who the latter is and christina is disgusting.

you loborachos and lucasbunny, whether asian, caucasian or black, albino want someone to identify with in your little minds but dont have the honest character to admit it, you really do share the same brain. fit some substance and empathy in there then we'll talk again. :wacko:

Okay that right there marks when the discussion got stupid :mellow:

Archived