Speed Racer -live Action Movie-

Guest JiNi;

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest termagant

I'm going to this movie because of Rain.

Though i was disappointed that Rain is not included in the trailer of the movie.

Guest losborrachos

you're really poor at making something culturally offending more "acceptable", infact i suspect these views are because of intellectual ineptitude rather than social caging by your society. or maybe both.

let's first address one thing, asian actors/actresses here dont get the same chance nor do the same marketing scale taken for them, if hollywood stop finding ways to marginalize them, how do you know their films wont score bigger? those films you mentioned were office flops for reasons aside from just the actors involved, the tuxedo was shtt for sure, whoever penned that script doesnt deserve the money for it. jackie and hewitt dont have the same appeal for this either but hollywood still thinks they do, which is sad. casting directors just refuse to change with the time. i am saying use some new people and give more asian actors/actresses a chance with this new Speed Racer film, it doesnt have to be an all asian cast but at least either trixie or emile since the mind behind the anime was asian, his characters are derivatives of his cultural influence. hollywood wants to make money, that's a given, but they prefer caucasian oppose to asians not necessarily because they think the film otherwise wont have potential but it has to do more with cultural bias and wanting to bring fame to those like themselves. what i liked about forbidden kingdom is although they put the white kid in, there were also two more foreign actresses. thats the feat im speaking of, i have no idea what else you spat on about nor am i interested.

emile hirsh and christina ricci? these two d-grade actors are gonna get ppl into theatres? what a joke. people dont know who the latter is and christina is disgusting.

you loborachos and lucasbunny, whether asian, caucasian or black, albino want someone to identify with in your little minds but dont have the honest character to admit it, you really do share the same brain. fit some substance and empathy in there then we'll talk again. :wacko:

uhh you lost me at "marginalize". i think emile hirsch and christina ricci are fabulous actors--everyone's allowed to have their own opinion, silly. also, the fact is that jackie chan and jet li aren't asian americans, they're asians. why do we feel the need for hollywood to champion their cause or whatever when the hong kong film industry is bringing them, and asian actors in general, more money and success than hollywood ever will. putting these two in a watered-down version of 'journey to the west' next to the poor man's shia labeouf is not helping anybody but studio execs, you know, the very people you're trying to condemn aside from me and lucasbunny. use your ignorant, racially-charged arguments on someone who doesn't have a friggin' degree on this subject.

p.s. you called the main character of the film "emile" instead "speed" or "mifune go", you realize how hilarious this is, right?

uhh you lost me at "marginalize". i think emile hirsch and christina ricci are fabulous actors--everyone's allowed to have their own opinion, silly. also, the fact is that jackie chan and jet li aren't asian americans, they're asians. why do we feel the need for hollywood to champion their cause or whatever when the hong kong film industry is bringing them, and asian actors in general, more money and success than hollywood ever will. putting these two in a watered-down version of 'journey to the west' next to the poor man's shia labeouf is not helping anybody but studio execs, you know, the very people you're trying to condemn aside from me and lucasbunny. use your ignorant, racially-charged arguments on someone who doesn't have a friggin' degree on this subject.

p.s. you called the main character of the film "emile" instead "speed" or "mifune go", you realize how hilarious this is, right?

Well according to him Chun li from SF is half french :vicx:

But I will not feed in to the certified troll any longer

borachos I'm awaiting ur review of the movie

Guest losborrachos

Well according to him Chun li from SF is half french :vicx:

But I will not feed in to the certified troll any longer

borachos I'm awaiting ur review of the movie

i know, i'm so excited. i got tickets for saturday 9pm, odeon camden. feel free to join me, other soompi-ers.

Guest res0nate

... I saw this tonight and I don't know what to say. Emile tries to carry the film but yikes, was it decent.

Guest kyelin

i thought speed racer is asian production in american and bi is a lead actor

guess i'm wrong

but i'm not suprised, american is white country

i remember one article (that's along long ago) afro-american artists always get nomination

but they never got the award

i didn't mean to bash

it's reality

Guest bk.

i watched this because of Bi

the graphics were nice...although the plot was ehh...

i totally laughed when

that guy from g.o.d

came out

my friend just finished and said it was really good, but *shrugs* i have yet to watch it.

rain was in there for only a short part of the movie or something.

*edit: nevermind, she was wrong. he was in there for a while. <_<

Guest melimoocow

if people are going to complain so much about a lack of popular asian actors in america then maybe they should consider a few things...

first, how homogeneous is the american entertainment scene compared to what's found in asia? i can't recall many famous white actors from asia, but then again, my knowledge of asian cinema is limited. the most i see of foreigners in asian entertainment is a small, usually one-liner part that requires blond hair and english. so when people are OUTRAGED by the lack of asians in leading roles, i feel like it's an insult to successful asian entertainers like sandra o who are slowly but surely making a name for themselves as actors--not just asian actors, but actors. people forget that memoirs of a geisha was led by an all asian cast and was highly successful. o whoops, i guess that movie also violates the necessity of having a JAPANESE person play a JAPANESE role. i say that if some people are so desperate for more asian exposure in america they should take what comes and be supportive.

second, speed racer is made by americans for americans. sure it originated in japan, but i don't see any japanese companies jumping on the project. even though the reason this movie was produced was mostly for making money, it is still the artistic vision and interpretation of the wachowski brothers. they are entitled to their opinions and artistic licenses too! and even if i'm being biased, emile hirsch is a fantastic pick for speed. on a side note, if we went with soupthis's suggestion that they at least make trixie or [speed] asian, then to me, that would be ridiculous. soupthis is basically advocating for affirmative action. um, i don't know about you guys, but affirmative action is not ok with me, regardless of the situation.

third, IT'S A FREAKING MOVIE. calm down. i am happy to see the "advancement" of asians in the american entertainment industry, but oh my lord people get so offended. sorry, but asian actors cannot "move up" without bearing through stereotypes here. why can't people be happy for an asian actor ::cough cough zhang ziyi cough:: in a lead role in an american movie, regardless of whether they got the nationality "correct"? why is it fine and dandy for adrien brody (a non-jewish american) to play a european holocaust survivor but sensitive, picky asians weep in outrage when jet li stars in an action film as a martial artist? how did african americans become so prominent in acting here? by refusing roles that compromised "politically" correct viewpoints?

i understand that americans rarely "get it right" but how much can you say for other countries with big movie industries? in my opinion (YES MY OPINION AGAIN) action/adventure movies from america are the best out there and i am glad that the talented wachowski brothers head this project because they are fans of the original material and will hopefully treat it with respect. maybe all the angry people should consider that if it weren't for 2 white guys then japanese popular culture and the asian actors in the movie wouldn't be getting much attention at all.

so there :tongue2:

Guest marasshi

^I sort of expected more from the Wachowski brothers. But then I never got to see The Matrix so I wouldn't exactly know what to expect. I still have to watch the movie by the way (and mostly because Rain is in it, and IMO, he's a great actor).

Oh, and about the debate on how more Asian actors should be in this movie - um, Speed Racer and his family are obviously white. It would be strange to cast someone like Rain as Speed because if I remember correctly, I know he doesn't look like him one bit. (Though the upcoming Dragonball movie leaves a lot up for debate because Goku is an alien, but that's off-topic. LOL)

Guest GO!zilla

actually i really liked it... it wasn't bad... rain's accent was decent too... there was around 2 phrases i couldnt understand..

btw..

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THAT SONG IS CALLED AND BY WHO AT THE CREDITS PART... i really want that song...

and about asian actors getting parts in american movies... the korean movement has started. Rain has a lead part in Ninja Assassin.

JYP's singers are bringing out American debut albums and so is SE7EN.

by the way... rain is getting big here due to Stephen Colbert. He owes Colbert a lot.

Guest sikhye

The movie is going to open second at the Box Office. How sad. (BTW It's a preview)

2. 'Speed Racer' - $38.4 million

and about asian actors getting parts in american movies... the korean movement has started. Rain has a lead part in Ninja Assassin.

JYP's singers are bringing out American debut albums and so is SE7EN.

by the way... rain is getting big here due to Stephen Colbert. He owes Colbert a lot.

The majority of America does not give a rat's richard simmons about all of that stuff. Sorry. :(

Archived