Lee Sun-Kyun 이선균

Helena

On 3/28/2023 at 11:30 AM, the_sweetroad said:

I do think Honey Lee and her fan try to kill him, though.

Wait, after looking more closely, it looks like the neighbor fan is trying to revive the island chaebol. And he and the actress have that panic look on their faces.

• LOL 1

On 4/1/2023 at 6:07 AM, sadiesmith said:

Is this a typical amount shown during a film's promo period?

It does seem more than normal, doesn’t it? Hopefully it will drive Korean audiences to the theaters to find out what actually happens to John Na. :D 

Have to say that Lotte Entertainment is doing a great job promoting the movie, especially with all the extra chats and Q and A sessions. It’s impressive. I just wish everything could have English subs. Same with Very Private Southeast Asia… we’re just missing out. :tears: But I’m glad LSK’s projects are getting so much good buzz. 

The full live broadcast Q and A session from Cine21, for Killing Romance: https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1MnxnpeRDRNGO

Killing-Romance0.jpg?s=900x600&e=t

“Killing Romance” is raising viewers’ anticipation with a new set of posters featuring Lee Sun Gyun, Honey Lee, and Gong Myung!

Helmed by “How to Use Guys With Secret Tips” director Lee Won Suk and penned by “The Beauty Inside” writer Park Jeong Ye, the upcoming comedy film “Killing Romance” tells a story about top star Yeo Rae (Honey Lee) who suddenly announces her retirement from the entertainment industry and her fateful encounter with chaebol Jonathan Na (Lee Sun Gyun) from a faraway island. However, after meeting devoted fan Bum Woo (Gong Myung), together they join hands to plot the most spectacular operation for her comeback. Just like the title suggests, the film promises to bring zero romance and maximum laughter.

In the newly released posters, the unique personalities and charms of the three main characters Yeo Rae, Jonathan Na, and Bum Woo are captured.

The first poster features Yeo Rae, an icon of passion and challenges who aims to escape from Jonathan’s influence and make her comeback to the screen. Yeo Rae looks as if she is a puppet in the poster set in Kuala Island. The text on the bronze metal plate that reads, “I will go down to the wire whether I die or live,” shows Yeo Rae’s strong determination to change the situation.

killing-romance01.jpeg

Meanwhile, the icon of madness and obsession Jonathan Na makes a naughty expression in a well-fitted suit and pomade hairstyle. The text that reads, “Oh, honey. Do you really want to go back to that world infested with those malicious commenters?” makes viewers guess that he will try to instill fear in Yeo Rae.

killing-romance02.jpeg

Finally, the icon of courage and innocence Bum Woo puts on a lovely and shy smile like a puppy. Bum Woo, who strives for Yeo Rae’s successful comeback, says, “I am not a strange person! I’ve been your fan since middle school,” hinting at the relationship between him and Yeo Rae.

Spoiler

killing-romance03.jpeg

“Killing Romance” will hit theaters on April 14. Stay tuned!

Source: https://www.soompi.com/article/1577176wpp/lee-sun-gyun-honey-lee-and-gong-myung-showcase-their-unique-charms-and-goals-in-killing-romance-posters

~

Replay from Naver NOW interviewing Lee Ha Nee, Lee Sun Kyun, Bae Yoo Ram, and director Lee Won Suk:

https://now.naver.com/s/now.5269?shareReplayId=34620053#replay

Edited by gm4queen
Please use spoiler tags when you post more than 3 images in one post. Thanks!
  • Like 1

So much good stuff coming out. Thanks to @widala and sunkyunarchive for keeping up with everything.

I can’t understand much of this video, but the clips of people dancing are worth it :lol::

This movie makes everyone laugh when they’re talking about it! Seems like it was a fun shooting experience for the cast and crew.

And the first press conference for Killing Romance has English subs now:

Looking forward to reading some of the reviews once film critics have watched the movie.

19 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Looking forward to reading some of the reviews once film critics have watched the movie.

I will cautiously say so far the critics seem to like it but warn that it's not for everyone.

https://news.nate.com/view/20230411n02324?mid=n0100 (Why doesn't LSK do more comedy?)

https://news.nate.com/view/20230411n09080?mid=e1300 (Sleep index is 0%)

https://news.nate.com/view/20230411n14746 (Talks about the big production cost)

https://news.nate.com/view/20230411n02308?mid=n1101 (Oh Jung Se, the scene stealer)

https://www.hankooki.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=69906 (rare magical power)

• Like 1

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2023/04/11/entertainment/movies/Korea-Killing-Romance-Lee-Hanee/20230411161823718.html
New rom-com 'Killing Romance' adds fatal twist to comedic plot

BY LIM JEONG-WON [lim.jeongwon@joongang.co.kr] | April 11, 2023

IMG_3043.jpg
Actors Lee Sun-kyun, left, and Lee Ha-nee, right, in the romantic comedy film ″Killing Romance″ [LOTTE ENTERTAINMENT]

A new rom-com “Killing Romance” offers a twist to the formulaic romantic comedy setup. 

This upcoming film is about a top celebrity who is oppressed by everyone around her including her own husband — so she kills him. 

“Killing Romance” is led by Lee Ha-nee and Lee Sun-kyun — the latter known globally for his role in the Oscar-winning “Parasite” (2019).

“I wanted to make a fairytale for adults,” said director Lee Won-suk during a press conference held at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University branch in eastern Seoul on Monday. “When I heard from the screenwriter that this film’s premise was a comedy about killing the protagonist’s husband, I was immediately drawn and wanted to direct ‘Killing Romance.’”

IMG_3044.jpg
From left, actors Lee Ha-nee, Lee Sun-kyun and director Lee Won-suk speak during a press conference for ″Killing Romance″ at Lotte Cinema Konkuk University branch in eastern Seoul on Monday. [LOTTE ENTERTAINMENT]

Actor Lee plays the protagonist, Hwang Yeo-rae, a famous actor in her own right who marries Jonathan Na, played by Lee Sun-kyun, during a trip to a South Pacific island. She announces her retirement from the entertainment industry after getting married, but eventually realizes that the person who she thought could rescue her from the oppression she experienced as a famed celebrity is actually imprisoning her again in an unhappy marriage. Yeo-rae enlists the help of another character, Kim Beom-woo, played by Gong Myung, to escape once and for all.

“I wanted to tell a story about being brave,” director Lee said. “We all experience a lag in our lives, when we are stuck without a place to go. In those times we search for a source of courage to begin anew and are guided by those around us. Through ‘Killing Romance,’ I hoped to relay a message of courage and hope with a story that may seem far-fetched but could be seen as a modern fairytale.”

Lee Sun-kyun, who has been trailblazing through various roles since his global hit with “Parasite,” said he took on the role of Jonathan because he was mesmerized by the “freshness” of the script.

“When I first read the script my reaction was: ‘What is this?’” he said. “I had watched and enjoyed director Lee’s past works including ‘How to Use Guys with Secret Tips’ (2013), and wondered how ‘Killing Romance’ would look with his direction added to this very funny script. So I decided to hop on board.”   

The most important aspect of a comedy film in order for it to deliver real laughs is for the acting talent to suspend reality and believe in the sometimes nonsensical situations they are playing, said Lee Ha-nee.

“We as actors have to believe in each scene for the film to be a real comedy,” she added. “I tried to focus on the authenticity of acting out Yeo-rae’s character.”

IMG_3042.jpg

Main poster for ″Killing Romance″ [LOTTE ENTERTAINMENT]

The director and main cast of “Killing Romance” hope to play a hand in reviving Korean cinema with their comedy, amid the slow recovery of the domestic theater after the pandemic. The pressure is real, they said, but they are willing to step up to the game and face the challenge head-on. 

“We definitely feel pressure regarding box office records and our film becoming a hit, and I feel that we should feel that pressure,” said Lee Sun-kyun, somewhat defiantly. “There are talks within and outside the industry that this period now is a crisis for the Korean film market. I also feel that after the accolades with ‘Parasite’ and the following Covid-19 pandemic, our films did not get to see the light that they could have.”

What is most urgent is to make and release films that audiences can enjoy so that people will come back to theaters, continued Lee.

“It is all up to the audiences, and it is the audiences who have loved and supported Korean films,” said Lee. “I hope that ‘Killing Romance’ will be one of the films that bring moviegoers back to the cinema.”

“Killing Romance” opens in theaters across Korea on Friday.

Spoiler

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

I wonder when in the film LSK actually meets his demise.

I wonder why some called the movie a rom-com and fairy-tale for adult. Does the protagonist find happily-ever-after with her number one fan at the end? 

I know that if I keep reading reviews, I will get hopelessly spoiled by the time I get a chance to watch it. But I have no self discipline. 

http://mksports.co.kr/entertainment/view/2023/281577/ (John Na is funny beyond expectations.)

• LOL 1

Interview with the director of Killing Romance where he talks a lot about LSK:

https://news.nate.com/view/20230413n16749?mid=e1100 (LSK said he would only do this kind of movie once as he still needs to make money and eat. :lol:)

https://www.chosun.com/entertainments/movie/2023/04/13/MOOKMBSRQ56RYWUHV2MUTHGMGM/ (Some people in production were cpncerned/upset that this role would really ruin LSK.) 

• LOL 1

https://k-odyssey.com/news/newsview.php?ncode=1065577005549289
(Interview) Lee Sun-kyun says he acted as if wearing mask for comedy film ‘Killing Romance’

YonhapNews / 2023-04-13 10:36:06
(This article is translated from Korean to English by Ha eun Lee)

IMG_3094.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by Lotte Entertainment, shows Lee Sun-kyun. (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

IMG_3095e3aeb6a4683d911c.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by Lotte Entertainment, shows Lee Sun-kyun from a scene in 'Killing Romance.' (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

IMG_3096.jpg
▲ This photo, provided by Lotte Entertainment, shows Lee Sun-kyun from a scene in 'Killing Romance.' (PHOTO NOT FOR SALE) (Yonhap)

SEOUL, Apr. 13 (Yonhap) -- “I was able to act without any thought or restriction. While shooting, I acted as if I was wearing a mask since the film itself was already based on exaggeration,” veteran actor Lee Sun-kyun shared his feelings on the eye-catching transformation he had in the upcoming comedy film “Killing Romance.”

The actor will appear as an island tycoon Jonathan, an unrivaled character with long hair and a mustache, wearing colorful clothes that match his exaggerated hyperboles. He and the mega-hit star Yeo-rae (Lee Ha-nee) tie the knot, deceiving the public as if they are in love. However, the top star soon realizes she is married to a distasteful narcissist who thinks of her as all but a trophy wife.

During an exclusive interview at a cafe in Seoul on Wednesday, the 48-year-old said, “I used to weigh more heavily on the story’s seamlessness and hyper-realism while shooting my previous works. However, I gladly took this film as I only focused on the characters themselves.”

“Killing Romance,” helmed by star director Lee Won-seok who has credits for previously producing the iconic rom-com “How to Use Guys with Secret Tips,” has been raising up the hype of comedy-film lovers only with its unheard-of teaser, which gave them sneak peek into its unprecedented setting and plot line.

Lee was known to have offered this work after his sensational dark comedy film “Parasite” raked in highly acclaimed film awards from all over the world, including the Cannes. When asked why he willingly took this challenge by starring in such an experimental piece, especially when he just hit two strikes with tvN’s television series “My Mister” and the film “Parasite,” the actor replied, “Those successes actually did not have much of an impact on my decision-making process. Yes, I have been a part of some major works. However, they were just part of my career, and they just became part of my experiences.”

“I can always cover up my character from one work with another character from the next work. I wanted to give some variations to my filmography which I thought weighed too much on serious and heavy works,” the actor added.

Nevertheless, Lee confessed that he was rather reluctant to star in this film until he met director Lee. “When I first received the scenario, it was so peculiar that I enjoyed reading it. However, I could not imagine myself starring in this role. I went to meet director Lee only because I wanted to listen to the reason he gave me the offer to star as Jonathan, and then I was told that Lee Ha-nee was almost going for this film. I guess I had put my trust in Ha-nee,” the actor recalled.

Lee Sun-kyun and Lee Ha-nee met and joined hands for the first time in the 2010 smash-hit television series “Pasta.”

“At that time, it was not long after Ha-nee just had her screen debut. But she exceptionally did well,” adding, “I knew she was going to be big, but I think she has become even bigger than I expected. There are not many Korean actresses who can just put everything down as she does. I think she has become a figure as a comedy actress. As she always does, she held the balance also for this film.”

Lee, who said he truly had fun while shooting “Killing Romance,” recalled that director Lee also played a big role: “Director Lee was very comfortable to work with, and he is very humorous. He is not only funny but also very straightforward. I think that is his biggest strength. Since we have always been comfortable with each other, I could also take the courage to act as I feel and also tell him parts that I wish to be changed. We had zero communication issues. I think that was how the character Jonathan came out.”

The line “It’s good,” which Jonathan constantly shouts throughout the film, as well as his detachable mustache were all actor Lee’s ideas. “I feel pretty attached to Jonathan. Just as some iconic scenes from ‘How to Use Guys with Secret Tips’ went viral, I wish the audience to have fun with this film as well,” the actor said.

“The film will definitely get both likes and dislikes, but I think we made a fairly satisfactory work that fulfills our main objective of having the audience break into laughter in diverse ways. If you watch the first 20 minutes of our film without making any assumptions, I believe you will unexpectedly be captivated by this film that is far from being seamless,” Lee said with a smile.

His "Killing Romance" will hit local theaters on April 14, 2023. (END)

(C) Yonhap News Agency. All Rights Reserved

• Like 1

Seriously cracking me up that we knew nothing about the movie for so long and now it just seems like such a standout spectacle. How did LSK and Lee Hanee keep the details such a secret the whole time?

Every movie should have Lotte Entertainment behind them - they're doing such a great job in their marketing!

• Like 1

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2023/04/398_349058.html
INTERVIEW | Lee Sun-kyun says he's never encountered film like 'Killing Romance'

By Kwak Yeon-soo | 2023-04-14 16:15

IMG_3102.jpg
Actor Lee Sun-kyun / Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment

Lee Sun-kyun, known for his intensity in "My Mister" (2018) and "Parasite" (2019), has made his biggest transformation in "Killing Romance," an absurdist film blending fantasy, comedy, family drama and musicals.

"Killing Romance" follows the story of actress Hwang Yeo-rae (Lee Ha-nee) who marries a self-obsessed chaebol executive named Jonathan Na (Lee Sun-kyun) and retires from acting. During her seven-year marriage, Hwang experiences physical and emotional abuse at the hands of her manipulative husband who controls her eating habits and forces her to "just smile" all the time. 

After he blocks her attempt to return to acting, she decides to kill him with the help of her next-door neighbor Beom-woo (Gong Myung), who happens to be her hardcore fan. 

Lee recalled the script for "Killing Romance" was so weird that he initially wanted to turn down the role.

"The script was funny, silly and experimental. I was curious how director Lee Won-seok would keep pace with the frenetic storytelling, and I heard Ha-nee already signed on to the film. So the two convinced me to accept Jonathan's role," he said during a recent interview with The Korea Times.

IMG_3103.jpg
Actor Lee Sun-kyun in a scene from the film "Killing Romance" / Courtesy of Lotte Entertainment

Lee said he became best friends with the director, adding that he came up with a lot of ideas. "Whenever I portray a character, I always to look for plausibility. But Jonathan is unpredictable and unreasonable. So I could do whatever I wanted with the character, which was quite liberating," he said. 

For the role, the 48-year-old actor wore hair extensions for four months and tried smoky eyeliner makeup and a mustache.

"Jonathan is a narcissist and lacks empathy. He's like a cartoon character. So I relied on my imagination instead of taking inspiration from other real-life characters," he said. "I had fun filming 'Killing Romance.' It was like presenting a masque. I've never encountered a character like Jonathan, so I tried to enjoy every moment."

The film has abrupt scene transitions that involve song and dance routines. It plays old school K-pop songs like H.O.T's "Happiness" and Rain's "Rainism." On singing "Happiness," Jonathan's theme song, Lee said, "That was fun. I think it clearly shows Jonathan's obsession with being happy all the time, and how that makes people around him feel miserable." 

"Killing Romance" is currently playing in local theaters. 

• Like 1