P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Guest DOVAHKIIN

hey yall i never knew there was this forum until right about now!!! well my grandma has a girl yorkie(Ruby) and ruby thinks im her owner becasue she slept with me her first couple nights, well my grandma then bought a male yorkie (D.J.) because she wanted ruby to give birth well she did and boy were all those vet bills EXPENSIVE!! now i am going to get a puppy and i need help!!!(this isn't my first dog but i'm soo confused) ur help is apreciated!

1- what do you think about"MOMo" for my male puppie's name?

2- since it's a yorkie i want to try to litterbox train it since its soo small (also Ruby and D.J. go Crazy outside without supervision) any one else litterbox train a dog? is it hard what do i do?

HELP PLEASE!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

^momo is fine.

"momo" means "peach" in japanese, hehe thats very cute!

maybe thats not very masculine but its definitely cute

you can definitely train a dog to do his business in a certain spot, so i dont see why you cant train him to go in a litter box.

but are you going to actually fill the litter box with litter?

i dont really think dogs like that..

still need help bout pet insurance~

another question

at animal shelters they normally spay/neuter your pet before adopting it out.

but i've heard that they dont do a very good job, altho they do so many spay/neuter operations everyday

my friend went to get her dog spayed and it costed $400 which in my idea is way too steep since it actually costed more than her dog was when she first bought it

is it true that animal shelters dont do a good enough job?

^momo is fine.

"momo" means "peach" in japanese, hehe thats very cute!

maybe thats not very masculine but its definitely cute

you can definitely train a dog to do his business in a certain spot, so i dont see why you cant train him to go in a litter box.

but are you going to actually fill the litter box with litter?

i dont really think dogs like that..

still need help bout pet insurance~

another question

but i've heard that they dont do a very good job, altho they do so many spay/neuter operations everyday

my friend went to get her dog spayed and it costed $400 which in my idea is way too steep since it actually costed more than her dog was when she first bought it

wow i never knew that's what MoMo ment my brother just thought of it and i thought it was cute!well thank you i think i will name it that o and about your question, i don't think they do spay/neuter because since its an animal shelter not a hospital i don't think they will.

Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

^oh no. they definitely do for sure, i know that much.

because i used to volunteer at that same shelter hehe

i just dont know about the quality~

im glad you're naming it momo haha its really cute

Guest tammywammy

Anyone here has a Chihuahua? Because I'm having a weird feeling about mine's. She snorts or something whenver she's really happy; what's up with that?

haha my chihuahua do it too.

Guest sixth.

another question

i got my dog for 150 and paid about 200 to get her sterilized (forgot the exact price since she had her dewclaws removed the same day)

personally, i haven't heard anything about them doing bad jobs.

they usually take them to a vet to get it done so it should be ok

Guest AMIbunny

I have a problem... My dog's nails are BLACK...and i havent cut it in a while becuz i'm really really scared to cut it because i cant see the blood vein...

do you guys think if i take him to a salon they will do a better job???

My dog is kind of tough because he STRUGGLES ALOT! i mean ALOT..... >< he's realy really afraid to get his ears cleaned, and nails clipped... >< i dont know what to do!

I have a problem... My dog's nails are BLACK...and i havent cut it in a while becuz i'm really really scared to cut it because i cant see the blood vein...

My dog is kind of tough because he STRUGGLES ALOT! i mean ALOT..... >< he's realy really afraid to get his ears cleaned, and nails clipped... >< i dont know what to do!

i've read in a doggie book that you can give your dog flat beer before you cut his nails But dont worry because it say something beer is actually good for dogs!if you do feed it beer you have to cut ll the nails at one time so the beer doesn't fade off. also it says if your dogs nails are black cut a tiny piece off and then cut it again few weeks later.

You could try a professional animal-grooming salon, but you need to look around to see which ones are decent. Some of these places might charge a lot. Don't hesitate to ask your vet (when you take your dog for regular check-ups) on how to groom your pet.

What I do with my cat (and he struggles a lot too) is to try and clean his nails during baths - he'll kick and yowl and whatever, but hold him tight and just take a wet cloth and gently rub out the black bits. I agree that cleaning nails is a big problem, mine thinks I'm taking a stick to him when I try to touch his paws. -_-

As for ears, take the normal cotton ear buds, wet a stick and insert it gently into his ear. Start from the outside and slowly work your way in. Make sure you do it in daylight where you can get a good look into his ear canal, because you don't want to stick the bud all the way in and hurt his ear.

Get someone to help you with holding the dog down, and constantly reassure the dog that you're not hurting him. You can do the nail and ear cleaning once a month, usually when you give your pet a bath.

Guest iloveren

well my dog has black nails so i just cut a little of the tips. i dunno.. my dad clips my dog's nails while i hold him and stick a pencil in his mouth =P i dont think he realizes that we're clipping his nails.. he just chews on the pencil happily.

Guest hpluver

So i have a blue parakeet. only one kz i heard if u get two..they will NEVER let you touch them after..:( so yea..now like since my dads been trying to play with it..and he plays tough..so the bird wants to defend itself.so it like squaks and everything. and flies like crazy in its cage. O_________O;; Ive held it on my finger only twice. and he looks lonely now. so I want to buy another one kz theres no way hes gnna let me hold him..and so might as well buy another one right? wat should i DO?

-also i have a black and white bunny and a lhasa apso. :)

Guest playtoe

anyone have any experience with urinary problems in cats?

i took my 5-year old cat to the vet today because we found a small trace of blood in her urine last night, and she's been squatting in the little box for a long time and only urinating a small amount. the vet said it's a mild inflammation in her bladder (cystitis) and prescribed antibiotics called clavamox. he said that it's most likely nothing serious, though we're waiting for the blood and urine tests to come back, and said that she should be ok after taking the antibiotics for a week or so.

anyone go through a similar situation?

anyone have any experience with urinary problems in cats?

i took my 5-year old cat to the vet today because we found a small trace of blood in her urine last night, and she's been squatting in the little box for a long time and only urinating a small amount. the vet said it's a mild inflammation in her bladder (cystitis) and prescribed antibiotics called clavamox. he said that it's most likely nothing serious, though we're waiting for the blood and urine tests to come back, and said that she should be ok after taking the antibiotics for a week or so.

anyone go through a similar situation?

Yes. Mine was chaotic. Went through the same thing, vet and I thought it'd be okay but it turned out the crystals were too large for him to richard simmons out. It was very traumatic for me and my cat, because he ended up having such a large amount of urine stuffed in his stomach - the poor thing was traumatised trying to pee it out and not being able to. I watched the vet pump it out of his stomach. Ended up having surgery to permanently remove the crystals.

Keep a very close eye on your cat. Don't stress her, always comfort her and assure her things are gonna be ok. Make sure she drinks water and that you're there to see her pass urine. You have to make sure she does that because that's the only way you can monitor whether the meds are working on her. If she does and it gets easier with each time, then that's great. If not, you should get her immediately to the vet because obstruction of the urinary tract is no small matter. You should be prepared for the possibility of surgery.

Urinary tract infection is more common in male cats, but it's not uncommon for females to have this problem. What I've learnt from my experience with my cat is to now have him on a life-long special diet (we now get cat food from the vet instead of buying from pet stores) and make sure cranberry is part of his diet. Cranberry is good for relieving urinary tract problems, so ask your vet about that. Also, check with your vet as to what you're feeding your cat. Sometimes a change of diet may ease the problem and lessen the possibility of surgery.

Good luck with your kitty!

Guest playtoe

^ hey thanks for the input!! i'm glad to hear that your cat is doing just fine after the surgery.... i hope that it doesn't have to go to that... she hates going outside/the car ride/hospital/i don't think she likes the vet either lol... =.= but i'm still waiting for the test results to come back, so we'll see.

and cranberries?? i can't get her to go near anything citrus... haha she runs away really fast. do you somehow mix it in with the food?

^ hey thanks for the input!! i'm glad to hear that your cat is doing just fine after the surgery.... i hope that it doesn't have to go to that... she hates going outside/the car ride/hospital/i don't think she likes the vet either lol... =.= but i'm still waiting for the test results to come back, so we'll see.

and cranberries?? i can't get her to go near anything citrus... haha she runs away really fast. do you somehow mix it in with the food?

Well, there's special cranberry powder just for cats and dogs. Your vet should know about this, so do ask when you are at the vet's to get the test results. It was my vet who recommended that I feed my cat cranberry - that was one of the methods we tried to get rid of the crystals pre-surgery. But she said cranberry is good for cats anyway, so I've continued giving my cat cranberry twice a week. Just mix it with a bit of water so that it becomes a sort of brown paste that you can just dip the cat biscuits into. My cat loves it, so don't worry about your cat not liking it.

This is the cranberry powder:

10955513_lg.jpg

I hope all goes well for your kitty! Do keep observing her behaviour as you wait for the results, because it's very important that you keep track of how she's reacting to the discomfort in her urinary tract. I'm probably a little paranoid after what happened with my cat, but if your kitty should show the slightest sign of pain, you should bring her back to the vet pronto.

Guest back-sue

Hi, um..

I have two dwarf hamsters, and they like to nibble on my fingers. Especially my nails & fingertips.

I just got a manicure today. It has a several coats of polish, a quick dry finishing spray, and a ton of glitter.

I was wondering if this is bad for my hamsters.

Thanks in advance. :sweatingbullets:

Guest yhsim!

Hi everyone. I'm really scared. I guess it's my REAL first time having and owning my own dog but it's hard to brush her teeth. She's already six years old and she's loosing teeth and two of her "fangs" are being really bad. They're wiggling and almost black. I dont' want her to lose anymore teeth. Should I start brushing her teeth even though her "fangs" are wiggling and bad? or should I after they fall out ><! i just want it to prevent it from falling out soon.

I finally got my itty bitty yorkie and it will not go outside!!! i will take it out a million times a day to only see it pee 5 min. later in the house... its really frustrating :( i know they are hard to train but y wont he at least go outside and do his buissness there? Hes still a puppy so he goes werever he feels like it he doesn't sniff around or anything so i know hes not going in the house becase of the smell.

can EVERYBODY who has a dog tell me about your experience and method of potty training? please its really frustrating for me and i dont want to take it back but if i have to i will.

Guest hpluver

I finally got my itty bitty yorkie and it will not go outside!!! i will take it out a million times a day to only see it pee 5 min. later in the house... its really frustrating :( i know they are hard to train but y wont he at least go outside and do his buissness there? Hes still a puppy so he goes werever he feels like it he doesn't sniff around or anything so i know hes not going in the house becase of the smell.

can EVERYBODY who has a dog tell me about your experience and method of potty training? please its really frustrating for me and i dont want to take it back but if i have to i will.

For my dog..he used to pee everywhere..and we had a lot of carpet cleaning done..(expensive) <_< i tell him "wanna go outside?" and just when i say that..he wags his tail and starts jumping..meaning he has to go..and when i let him go in the backyard.he runs out..goes to our tree and pees right there..and then comes back..but like if were not at home..(we dont have a doggy door)...we lay out a little tarp thing in the garage...and he does his business there. =) idk how he was taught that..i dont remember..kz hes about 4-5 years old now..

Guest Mentos

Hi everyone. I'm really scared. I guess it's my REAL first time having and owning my own dog but it's hard to brush her teeth. She's already six years old and she's loosing teeth and two of her "fangs" are being really bad. They're wiggling and almost black. I dont' want her to lose anymore teeth. Should I start brushing her teeth even though her "fangs" are wiggling and bad? or should I after they fall out ><! i just want it to prevent it from falling out soon.

I think you should take her to the vet. I was going to suggest Greenies for teeth cleaning, but then I finished the rest of your post. Black, wiggling, and already six? I don't know ><;; How is it hard to brush her teeth? Does she try to wiggle out of your grip? Does she wince when you get nearer to her "fangs"?

But just the fact that she's losing teeth is... really... yeah. Go to a vet. Hope everything goes well!

my parents don't want me having pets.. but i really want a dog, however, i'll just wish for that in the future. the farthest i had for pets were fishes -__-, crawfishes & chinese fighters. sadly they end up killing each other >,>;;

Anywho.. my bf doesn't know what to get me for my birthday and i suggested buying a hamster because i';ve been meaning to get one. what kind of hamsters do you guys like ?

Aw, it took me YEARS (11 years to be precise) to finally persuade my parents. Then I got Simba <3 He's my baby.

Anyways, I love hamsters. My friend used to have like... a village full of them. I think they were called Teddy Hamsters? Or Bear Hamsters? But I heard they were the cutest and the softest pet hamsters. Pretty small, but not too small. I think they're pretty popular- don't know much about hamsters so I don't know, haha. But yeah- you can go to Petsmart or Petco and see the cute little rodents (the ONLY rodents that I like :X). Have fun ^^!

--edit--

I also have a question of my own. I've been doing A LOT of breed research for my next pet. It narrows down to a German Shepherd and a Black Labrador Retriever. I've never had hands-on encounters with them (besides the fact that my neighbor has a shepherd. But I've never really met their dog). Which one would you suggest and why? If you actually HAVE or HAD either one, then for sure, help me ^^! I've already had unbiased facts, now I want biased ones to finalize my decision. THANKS!

Archived