P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Guest sixth.

Hi everyone. I'm really scared. I guess it's my REAL first time having and owning my own dog but it's hard to brush her teeth. She's already six years old and she's loosing teeth and two of her "fangs" are being really bad. They're wiggling and almost black. I dont' want her to lose anymore teeth. Should I start brushing her teeth even though her "fangs" are wiggling and bad? or should I after they fall out ><! i just want it to prevent it from falling out soon.

take her to a vet.

start giving her those little sticks that you can buy at the supermarket or pet store... they help to clean their teeth.

but i dont think you'll be able to save those two teeth (i'm guessing their her canines) if they're almost black. are they black in a dirty way or a decayish way?

can EVERYBODY who has a dog tell me about your experience and method of potty training? please its really frustrating for me and i dont want to take it back but if i have to i will.

well, my dog is an outside dog so that cut down half the job.

basically, everytime she seemed like she wanted to do her business, we'd take her over to the grass and then keep her there until she did everything. rewarded her everytime she did it at the right spot, especially if she went there by herself.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest prizzyy

can i ask..

im getting a BULLFROG for my cousin as a pet, she wants it and her parents allow it.

can i get some advice about the food it eats, the kind of place it lives in, and what should i take note of?

thanks!

Guest johnnifer

hehe ! i had 5 fishes when i was grade 5 or 6 but they didn't last very long cause they seemed to die after each other. two actually died at the same time. one did last for at least 3 months but then we lost its fish food and died. i named it survivor. so last year in december i bought two male bettas, one red and blue. um...my red one lasted until mid..march or april. apparently, i asked the fish man, william or will^2 or whatever the heck his user name is now, how come he died and he said it was constipated. well i guess so cause it always excited when it eats but it never ate and it didn't pooh and it swam around with pooh stuck for like a week and a half. and my blue fish was losing its color but i think it was the food i'm feeding it. and it was really skinny too. NOW its fat and back to its beautiful blue cause i'm feeding it pellets now =] WILL. YOU BETTER BE READING THIS ! I WANTED TO TELL YOU ABOUT SQUIRM FOR THE LONGEST TIME. he's better and fatter and back to beautiful now =] wouldn't it be SO cute if he became obese ? so then i can say, "my fish squirm is obese". :P

--Jenn Ly

Guest sixth.

can i ask..

im getting a BULLFROG for my cousin as a pet, she wants it and her parents allow it.

can i get some advice about the food it eats, the kind of place it lives in, and what should i take note of?

thanks!

wow, a bullfrog? that's so cool.

well, i don't know much about them but i learnt that they're carnivorous, so basically.. they'll eat anything that fits into their mouth lol.

and like most frogs, you'd want to keep it in a fairly moist environment.

and that's as far as my knowledge goes =/

can i ask..

thanks!

Here's an article for you scroll down to what's on the menu and it will tell you what they eat http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/frogwatch/who...ts/bullfrog.htm

I haven't seen this asked before, my dog is terrified of getting baths anyone who's had a dog that's terrified of baths what did you do to make it easier to bathe the dog or to make the dog less terrified of baths? She loves water if she can control it (ponds and lakes), but hates the rain.

Guest ILoveChrist(:

my fam is thinking of getting a dog

and say the dog itself costs around a thousand.. :wacko:

but we have to get him food and a house and toys and neuterd and a vet and etc...

so how much does it cost in total to purchase a purebreed including all the stuff they need to live and whatnot?

please&thank youuu :)

Guest prizzyy

thank you for the links, sixth and BloodPrincessShiroto!!! i appreciate it very much!

yes i think my cousin is super brave and weird, she's nine and she loves frogs, as big as possible!

whereas i dislike real frogs like crazy, i only like cartoon ones like keropi zzz.

the site says the bullfrog mostly eats other little frogs?!?! oh my!!

i wonder if theres someone on soompi who keeps a bullfrog too!

thanks again!

Guest Mentos

but we have to get him food and a house and toys and neuterd and a vet and etc...

so how much does it cost in total to purchase a purebreed including all the stuff they need to live and whatnot?

Depends on what the breed is. I got my purebred Retriever for only $500ish (I forget... he was on sale because he was born on Valentine's Day & he was from a huge litter). Supplies really vary on the size of the dog. For instance, Simba (my dog), is pretty big. He's 24 inches tall and weighs 55 pounds. Dog houses, cages, toys really depend on the size of your dog. Just for his cage to houstrain, it cost us $120. If you get a small dog like a Maltese, then your pet supply cost will be A LOT lower than the supply cost of a bigger dog. Also, smaller dogs don't grow drastically from when they are a puppy until when they are physically mature. As for vet checks & neutering... you should probably find a good vet around your area BEFORE you get your dog.

If it's a small dog, I'm guessing a good $2000 MAXIMUM just to be safe. Shouldn't cost more than that, though. (you also need food, treats, water/food bowls- I suggest ceramics because it's a lot healthier for your dog, leash, collar, paddings, potty training pads, carpet/floor cleaners- unless you want to use the basic cleaners around your house... and you might want to puppy- proof the house. Just in case :X)

G'luck :]

Guest aznscrewball

Hi everyone. I'm really scared. I guess it's my REAL first time having and owning my own dog but it's hard to brush her teeth. She's already six years old and she's loosing teeth and two of her "fangs" are being really bad. They're wiggling and almost black. I dont' want her to lose anymore teeth. Should I start brushing her teeth even though her "fangs" are wiggling and bad? or should I after they fall out ><! i just want it to prevent it from falling out soon.

TAKE HER TO THE VET.

Theres this thing now a days called Pet Dentistry where they clean the dog's teeth out for them and pull out all the rotting ones. Sort of like ours. There no way to save the teeth if its already turned black and wiggling. That happens when there is a HUGE buildup of plaque. Plaque doesn't usually mean that yur pet has bad teeth, it just usally has something to do with the makeup and acidity of your dog's saliva. Its diffeent for all different kinds of dogs. Your dog is at the most serious cases where you have to pull the teeth out. Be aware that this process is VERY expensive. I can't remember if Dentistry is covered by pet insurance or not (assuming you have it), but it can range anywhere from 200+ depending on how many teeth get pulled out and the size of the dog.

Greenies and/or other teeth cleaning chewbles don't clean the teeth if they are already dirty, they just prevent clean teeth from getting more plaque on them.

I also have a question of my own. I've been doing A LOT of breed research for my next pet. It narrows down to a German Shepherd and a Black Labrador Retriever. I've never had hands-on encounters with them (besides the fact that my neighbor has a shepherd. But I've never really met their dog). Which one would you suggest and why? If you actually HAVE or HAD either one, then for sure, help me ^^! I've already had unbiased facts, now I want biased ones to finalize my decision. THANKS!

I personally like German Shepards. Haha, and I had one for a while as a puppy, so I am a bit bias. Supposedly German Shepards are a one owner kind of dog. They only answer to one person, so if your planning to get it as a family dog, its not ideal. But as always, its how you raise them. You hear all these stories about how German Shepards are vicious and stuff, but I was really cuddly with my puppy. As a result she was a big teddybear. She loved kisses and sleeping right beside you. She also loved love-nips and sitting on your lap. It all depends on the owner.

Labs on the other hand are naturally friendly and you would have absolutely no reserves in letting a lab stay in a room alone with your 2 year old cousin per say. I don't think labs are particularly pretty breed, but some people seem to think so. If you get a lab, I think the prettiest colour would be Chocolate (Haha, but thats just me).

If you want to be a good owner, it cost more. Haha, I am getting lazy with keeping my dog updated with her shots and stuff.

-Food. My dog is 15lb, and she uses a 2lb every month, and that usually costs 10-15$ per bag, so expect at least that much.

-House. Is it going to be an indoor dog? (I think so since its so expensive you wouldn't want to leave it outside) Crate would usually be 20-40$ depending on the size of your dog. If you puppy is small and going to grow BIG, get it a BIG crate to accomodate for its growth. (dont want to be getting multiple crates right?)

- Toys. Depends. I got lazy and gave it some of my old stuffed animals, and she loved them more then the toys I got her from the PetStore. anywhere from 50+ in the beginning.

-Neutered. Rwar. This is the most expensive part along with the Vet visits. If its a girl its more expensive then if its a guy. I've seen it done, and for girls its a whole complicated process involving IV tubes and several days of recovery. For guys its just a short operation with no IV and a few stitches to the scrotal area, and a day of recovery. Size is everything. The bigger your dog is when he'she gets done, the more expensive because they use more anesthetics. Anything from 150(for guys) to 200+ for girls.

-Vets. Good Owners take their pets for 3 booster shots when they are puppies. Usually if its a purebreed from a reputable breeder or store, they do the 1st shot for you and it comes with papers of the shot. (Maybe the second if its older). Also, when you 1st go to the vet, they insit on a full body check for any diseases and lots of other stuffies because puppies are more suceptible to viruses and bacterias. (I can;t rememeber how much it all cost, maybe like 500 just to be safe?)

-Others. Maybe invest in a puppy training class while they are young and impressionable and when everything sticks.

Make sure your purebreed comes with papers and identification, usually a stamp on the ear. The identification is what makes it a reputable purebreed.

Goodluck with your future pet!

Guest Seraphic_Gin

question. hope im at the right thread.

anyways, im a dog lover and even though we are a family of asthmatics - we still have 'em.

but there is one thing, a friend gave us a white japanese spitz {is that how u spell it?}.

it's ubberrrr cute, but my problem right now - is that his fur is everywhere.

now he's not sleeping in my room, because i might get an attack because of it - lolxxx.

im wondering, what type of dog should i get that has less maintenance on their hair?

a small one would be nice, but not that furry furry type.

help?

thanks.

Guest Mentos

^ A maltese or a Yorkie :] Also Poodles (but I don't like them :X & they're also prone to cancer). Hope that helps :]

Guest aznscrewball

^^ Shih Tzus, Maltese, and Poodles are all hypoallergenic, meaning that hey don't give asthmatic people a hard time. Thier fur is actually made up of the same kind of hair we have on our heads, so technically they have hair too. Those are the best kind of dogs for people with allergys and such. They shed as much as we do with our hair.

If your not into any of those breeds, get a dog that has short hair. This ensures less maintenance in bills for haircuts, but theres less fur flying everywhere. Beagles I've heard are very good too for people with allergies and asthma. We were considering getting a beagle when we were thinking of getting a dog, because my brother has asthma and allergies. But, we ended up getting a Daushund, and she isn't so bad.

I hope I helped?

--edit--

I also have a question of my own. I've been doing A LOT of breed research for my next pet. It narrows down to a German Shepherd and a Black Labrador Retriever. I've never had hands-on encounters with them (besides the fact that my neighbor has a shepherd. But I've never really met their dog). Which one would you suggest and why? If you actually HAVE or HAD either one, then for sure, help me ^^! I've already had unbiased facts, now I want biased ones to finalize my decision. THANKS!

well i have never had those dogs but there is a german shepard that lives in the house behind my backyard and shes noisy! ive known her all my life but i would never pet her because she likes guarding her territory! also i have a next dooor neighbor who owns a lab and he is friendly but he doesn't know how big he is cuz he loves to greet people by knockin them down! if you would like a guard dog then get a shep but if you want a rowdy dog get a lab

Guest husssh

oooooooh my baby sister just won like 10 goldfishes from the carnival.

you know those little yellow fishies that tends to die like.. a few days after you win them. =(

how do you keep these things alive? i bought goldfish food for them.. but

i feel like they would die soon, i don't know how to change the water.. or anything. -.-;

HELP? =(

Guest Seraphic_Gin

^^ Shih Tzus, Maltese, and Poodles are all hypoallergenic, meaning that hey don't give asthmatic people a hard time. Thier fur is actually made up of the same kind of hair we have on our heads, so technically they have hair too. Those are the best kind of dogs for people with allergys and such. They shed as much as we do with our hair.

If your not into any of those breeds, get a dog that has short hair. This ensures less maintenance in bills for haircuts, but theres less fur flying everywhere. Beagles I've heard are very good too for people with allergies and asthma. We were considering getting a beagle when we were thinking of getting a dog, because my brother has asthma and allergies. But, we ended up getting a Daushund, and she isn't so bad.

I hope I helped?

Mentos and aznscrewball

very much helpful~!

thank u! for that info i have considered that i might get a beagle.

thank u very much..,

lolxxx.

Guest geneyoonit

oooooooh my baby sister just won like 10 goldfishes from the carnival.

you know those little yellow fishies that tends to die like.. a few days after you win them. =(

how do you keep these things alive? i bought goldfish food for them.. but

i feel like they would die soon, i don't know how to change the water.. or anything. -.-;

HELP? =(

actually, coldwater goldfishes are actually the EASIEST out of all the freshwater fishes to take care of... they shouldn't die (except for the fact that they could be stressed)

-the best thing for u to do is buy @ least a bowl! goldfishes need ALOT of room.. and if u are going to keep all 10 in a bowl, they are all going to surely die (unless its a BIIIIG bowl)... i think the rule is ONE GALLON = ONE INCH OF FISH...

-food is good! just be sure not to overfeed them... feed them for about 1~2 minutes, until they cant eat anymore.. and that's their limit for that time! do that about 2 or 3 times a day... and it'll b fine

-if you have a bowl, changing the water can be tricky.. first thing you need is 'water conditioner' which declorinizes the water so it wouldnt be harmful to the fish... buy a net, and use a separate bowl (i have like a bucket) for temporary placement.. and change it...

i would actually recommned a tank... tanks are MUCH easier to take care of (if you have the right filters and etc)

AND DONT QUOTE ME ON ANY OF THIS.. i did previous research online and etc b/c i happen to have fishes now :) and i wanted to keep it that way :P BUT IM NO EXPERT!... google is a good place to start if u want to know about things :)

but... i have a serious (fish) question:

i just recently purchased a new aquarium (55 gallon) and have 10 neon tetras and 2 platys... when i got home, one of the tetras (most likely the male, its very slim compared to the others) is secluded and tends to be by itself ALOT.. the color is MUCH darker than the rest, and when i give it food, it doesnt take it... im mostly worried because of its dark color and that it doesnt join its school.. should i be worried? is what im describing some sort of fish disease? or is it just in "shock" from its changed enviroment? and IF it is a fish disease.. should i put it in a separate tank for it to heal (and not contaminate the rest?) and what kind of medicine should i get?

i need help ><

thanks in advance

Guest back-sue

MY HAMSTERS ARE HAVING SEX AND I DONT WANT BABIES.

Sorry for the obnoxious large font, but I really need some advice.

I have two dwarf hamsters and theyre known as the playful and social type. Well I woke up in the middle of the night and found them doing it. :crazy: I was so freaked out cause I didnt want 30 babies, and I heard rumors that they eat their babies. I hate seeing blood and if I see dead hamsters I know i`ll go insane. So without thinking, I kind of pulled them apart and stuck one of them into a box. After a little while, I felt kind of bad so I reunited them and they started doing it again. -_- I think theyre actually doing it NOW as I type this and all im doing is kind of sticking a finger between them so he kind of backs off for 5 seconds. Does anyone know what to do? I dont want to buy seperate cages for them because im scared they might get lonely/depressed.

Guest eunhae

iv had a dog once before but that was because we got it for free

but we had to leave it behind when we moved

& now, i desperately want a dog

but i have no idea where to go or look for them?!

can anyone give me suggestions?

ALSO

what are some small dogs that dont shed much?

(i read the few posts back but what are some others?)

Guest aznscrewball

MY HAMSTERS ARE HAVING SEX AND I DONT WANT BABIES.

Sorry for the obnoxious large font, but I really need some advice.

I have two dwarf hamsters and theyre known as the playful and social type. Well I woke up in the middle of the night and found them doing it. :crazy: I was so freaked out cause I didnt want 30 babies, and I heard rumors that they eat their babies. I hate seeing blood and if I see dead hamsters I know i`ll go insane. So without thinking, I kind of pulled them apart and stuck one of them into a box. After a little while, I felt kind of bad so I reunited them and they started doing it again. -_- I think theyre actually doing it NOW as I type this and all im doing is kind of sticking a finger between them so he kind of backs off for 5 seconds. Does anyone know what to do? I dont want to buy seperate cages for them because im scared they might get lonely/depressed.

You should prolly seperate them NOW!

There is no way to stop you're hamsters from breeding if you keep them together.

All hamsters do is eat, sleep, and have sex.

Thats basically the purpose of their life.

They can breed every few weeks or so...

Buy two cages and put them side by side or something if they really get lonely, because there is no way to sterilize your hamsters.

Oh yes, and you're right. If you female does happen to get pregnant before you separate them,

You have to separate the babies from the adults after a certain amount of time.(can't remember when)

The parents turn into canibals after they feel the babies have grown up.

They don't recognize them as their own anymore and feel that they are invading their territory.

Hamsters are generally single minded creatures and usually dont get lonely often.

iv had a dog once before but that was because we got it for free

but we had to leave it behind when we moved

& now, i desperately want a dog

but i have no idea where to go or look for them?!

can anyone give me suggestions?

ALSO

what are some small dogs that dont shed much?

(i read the few posts back but what are some others?)

Check your local phonebook or whatever to find the closest Animal Shelter

Or you could go to a pet store, but I recomend you look for an Animal Shelter.

There are hundreds if not thousands of Cats and Dogs that desperately need homes.

You can find almost any type of dog there.

I think that generally dogs that come from the shelter or the pound are more grateful to you then dogs you buy from the store.

If you get an adult dog, then you don't have to go through the house-wrecking phase of puppyhood, pottytraining and obedience.

It is also much cheaper to get a dog from the shelter or pound.

Dogs and Cats who don't get adopted after a certain period of time get euthanized or put down.

(I am PRO-shelter!)

In addition to the few breeds I put above, there are many small dogs which don't shed a lot.

-Chiwawa (personally I don't like that theyre so small, i'm always afraid i'll step on one by mistake)

-Pug (cute in the eye of certain beholders)

-Yorkies (I have a feeling theyre hypoallergenic too, but im not 100% sure)

-Bulldog ( looks like a Pug, both breeds can have breathing problems)

or...

Basically any small-breed dog with SHORT hair

Unless you have allergies too...

Does anyone have a Shiba Inu? What do you feed it? I`ve been searching online and no luck =( .. I plan on adopting one of these beautiful dogs, since my mom fell in love with this type of dog. Thanks much help!

Archived