P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Guest DOVAHKIIN

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got a question for everyone. I am going to be staying at my boyfriend's friend's house for the thanksgiving week and he's got two huge golden retrievers. we're going to be bringing a lil bite size yorkie (lol) over and my concern is would it be too hostile for him? . the retrievers, when it stands on two legs are as tall as me(I am about 5'1). the yorkie will bark if it gets scared, it would bark non stop until it tires him out(seen it with big dogs).

one of our friend came to the apt to pick up something when we werent home,and I told him to greet him "bebe" cause thats what we do and he'd usually stop barking, but when he saw my friend, he barked for almost an hr and my friend was too concern to leave, so he just stays outta the house/outta sight and can still hear him bark! >_<!

kind of concern for myself too consider those two dogs can probably knock me over with ease. haha.

Most golden retrievers are really gentle and not hostile. But every dog is different so your boyfriend is the only one that can answer this for you. How are the dogs behaved? If they've been raised with boundaries and been trained half way they should be alright. A dog should know what no means and most dogs listen if you taught them how to.

But then again if your yorkie barks at them none stop they might get restless.

If you're really concerned you can always get one of those room separator gates to keep the dogs apart.

i have a problem with my dogs.

one of them is a one yr old westie and the other is a 11 yr old labrador.. ive been starting to notice that my lab eats the westies poo. its so gross .. i dont know why he does it cos he never used to do that wen he we had another dog before. can anyone help me deal with this?? i would go out and pick up the poo straight after my westie does it but im not around 24/7 for this to happen ~

my mum says its cos his old =( i heard labs dont live that long, and he cant smell properly ;; i also noticed him one time dig up my cats poo and eat it !!

thanks for any advice in advance

There is some spray you can buy at a pet shop or from your vets for dogs who eat poo. Basically you spray the poo with it and the taste is supposed to be so horrible that after the dog tries it a few times he's not gonna do it again. He'll associate the bad taste with the poo.

I don't know if it works I've heard people who've said it does and then the once who said it doesn't. Worth a try though.

Next time you you take your dog to the vet ask them, because a vet can always answer your questions better as they're trained professionals.

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Rule 2: Absolutely no posting pictures of pets unless it's pet health, pet care, pet purchasing or pet-item/food related! There is a topic for sharing pics of pets somewhere in the member 411 & pix section, go wander in and find it yourself if you want to share pictures of your pet with no relevance to a question or advice on pets. If your goldfish is discolored and you're not sure what's wrong with, yes post it. If you just want to show it off, do not post it here!]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tuna_madunna

i had a pet hamster named Stitch..

this isn't the first time he's done it.. usually we'd find him in less that 5 days..

You're lucky that your hamster still comes back after 5 days! But now.. 3 weeks ehh?

Have you found him?

Anyway, same thing happened to me. Our helper used a mini dog cage for my hamsters and then one day they escaped.

It didn't last a day for them to return because they were eaten by some cat! <_<

EEHH!! That made me hate cats so much!1!!! But I can't do anything, it's not the cat's fault to like hamsters T_T

Anyway, I got myself a Chow Chow. He's pretty cute when he's asleep~

Only when he's asleep!! He's pretty hyper and wants to be carried always and he's like 7kg!

And I thought chows are pretty lazy :(

Also he barks like crazy when we leave him or when they're someone outside.

Apparently, my nonsporting pet turned into a guard dog.

Anyway, I got myself a Chow Chow. He's pretty cute when he's asleep~

Only when he's asleep!! He's pretty hyper and wants to be carried always and he's like 7kg!

And I thought chows are pretty lazy :(

Also he barks like crazy when we leave him or when they're someone outside.

Apparently, my nonsporting pet turned into a guard dog.

that's not suprising, really--since that's a Chow Chow's job--or at least it used to be--guarding. People used to use them as guard and hunting dogs. ^^

Has anyone trained their cats to use to toilet instead of a litter box? i was watching some cats use the toilet on youtube and it looked really awesome. it would be nice to save some money on buying kitty litter.

Has anyone trained their cats to use to toilet instead of a litter box? i was watching some cats use the toilet on youtube and it looked really awesome. it would be nice to save some money on buying kitty litter.

Squat on the toilet seat and then pee? No, that's dangerous for the cat. Don't do it just to save yourself some money. If you don't want to buy kitty litter, train your cat to go to the bathroom and have him find a quiet spot to do his business. Be there to clean up for him immediately. I don't use kitty litter as my cat does his business in the bathroom, but I'd never train my cat to use the toilet like they do it in youtube.

Guest sushiwhore

fish tanks in my room.

what lighiting did you use int eh first tank?

i ssee soem cichlids in there so is it a freshwater tank?

got a question for everyone. I am going to be staying at my boyfriend's friend's house for the thanksgiving week and he's got two huge golden retrievers. we're going to be bringing a lil bite size yorkie (lol) over and my concern is would it be too hostile for him? . the retrievers, when it stands on two legs are as tall as me(I am about 5'1). the yorkie will bark if it gets scared, it would bark non stop until it tires him out(seen it with big dogs).

i'm 5'1" too and big dogs scare me like no other. my dad used to keep like, six, seven huge guard dogs at a time... these dogs all weighed much more than me and they were VICIOUS.

ok, i just got myself a cute three-year-old cat -- despite the fact that i'm allergic. i've been trying to keep my allergies under tabs with a HEPA air purifier, allergy wipes for the cat, brushing the cat's coat, and cleaning my apartment as well as i can. i think i can pretty much handle it. it's mostly just runny noses and occasional watery eyes and maybe a slight rash... my hay fever went away as the years passed, and i'm hoping the pet allergy will be the same way. but he does two things that i feel are really not conducive to my condition. i want to know why he's doing them, and if it's a bad behavior, how i can get him to stop. one, he constantly weaves around me when i'm sitting or standing or walking, leaving a LOT of cat hair on my clothing. two, he really likes to touch his nose to mine and hold it there. it would be pretty cute, except i don't want him anywhere near my sinuses. what is he doing?

also, do cats really respond to names? my boyfriend says they do, but i don't see any evidence that his own cat responds at all to her name. i just call my cat "hey cat" and honestly, i don't think it makes any difference to him.

jun, you don't use kitty litter? how does he... go? i'd love not to have to clean up my cat's business.

Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

^haha your cat sounds SO cute. those things that you described your cat doing are all acts of affection <3

also by rubbing themselves against you, they leave their scent. basically your cat is saying "you're mine!" haha ^^

good luck with keeping your allergies at bay! i used to volunteer at an animal shelter. and i dont have any allergies to pet hair. i used to play with friends dogs and cats and had 0 problems. yet whenever i go to the cat shelter within 20 minutes i start to sneeze, nose gets stuffy, eyes watery...

i found the problem to be that they keep all the windows closed there because that way the cats "wont get sick".

when i opened the windows it alleviated my symptoms.

so i guess what im trying to say is to keep your rooms well ventilated :]

cats do know their own names, they're very clever.

its just that they sometimes choose to ignore you when you call. ^^;

ok, i just got myself a cute three-year-old cat -- despite the fact that i'm allergic. i've been trying to keep my allergies under tabs with a HEPA air purifier, allergy wipes for the cat, brushing the cat's coat, and cleaning my apartment as well as i can. i think i can pretty much handle it. it's mostly just runny noses and occasional watery eyes and maybe a slight rash... my hay fever went away as the years passed, and i'm hoping the pet allergy will be the same way. but he does two things that i feel are really not conducive to my condition. i want to know why he's doing them, and if it's a bad behavior, how i can get him to stop. one, he constantly weaves around me when i'm sitting or standing or walking, leaving a LOT of cat hair on my clothing. two, he really likes to touch his nose to mine and hold it there. it would be pretty cute, except i don't want him anywhere near my sinuses. what is he doing?

also, do cats really respond to names? my boyfriend says they do, but i don't see any evidence that his own cat responds at all to her name. i just call my cat "hey cat" and honestly, i don't think it makes any difference to him.

jun, you don't use kitty litter? how does he... go? i'd love not to have to clean up my cat's business.

Mel, I believe your cat is just trying to be affectionate and get used to you. He also probably wants you to play with him. Cats like to sidle up to their owners when they want something. Mine rubs against my leg when he wants food or needs me to do something for him. Same thing with the nose - mine tends to do that when he's trying to wake me up, and he knows I don't always like it. I just push his face away gently and tell him no, he will persist until he realises I won't budge (or he wins when I wake up). Cats are not the same as dogs, so you cannot discipline them as you would a dog. But be patient with your cat and he will soon learn. I would, however, not suggest that you discourage your cat from being affectionate with you. I understand it's hard with the allergy, but cats, like all other animals, need affection and love from their owners. Don't push him away too much.

Have you sought medication for your allergy? That may be helpful as well.

Cats respond to names, but they need time, and they do it when they feel like it, so don't rush them. They have a routine of their own.

And no, I don't use kitty litter. That's because my cat and I have worked out a routine post his surgery - he suffered from urinary tract infection (UTI) more than a year ago and the vet had to operate on him. After his operation, I took it upon myself to make sure he pees regularly (with a good amount), so we do it twice a day - I take him to the bathroom and he finds his favourite spot and does his business. If I'm not around, when it's time for him to pee, he just naturally goes to the bathroom and does it and I clean it when I get back. If you want to use the bathroom method, you have to bring your cat to the bathroom and let him familiarise with the area, let him find a spot he likes to do his business (be in there with him and shut the door so he doesn't escape). Once the scent is there, he will know to return to it the next time he needs to pee.

Cleaning litter is... unavoidable. Don't make a chore of it, as your cat will just find another clean spot to do his business if you don't clear the mess. If you're using the kitty litter, you must clean the litterbox daily.

Cats are quite regular when it comes to doing their business. They usually go twice a day - mine pees twice a day and craps once. Again, it depends on your cat's routine, but my vet says twice a day is fine. Is your male cat desexed? Also, be aware that male cats tend to suffer from UTI (crystals in the urinary tract), so be careful when you buy cat food. Avoid Science Diet (the brand) and avoid food that contains a high amount of salt. Choose something that has cranberry - ideally also get a bottle of cranberry powder for cats and feed him that regularly. Make sure he drinks plenty of water.

Anymore questions, just ask. :)

we got a new cat a few months ago, a re-adoption. The person who got her from the shelter decided she would be better off in a new home than with her, because she would have a roommate this time, instead of living alone--and she would have had to be closed in all day.

A few weeks ago, my mother asked me if I thought she was deaf, because she wouldn't respond to her name if my mother called her. She responded to me, and she could hear the container with her dry food w/ no problems (or anything else she's interested in). She's the most independent cat we've ever had (my parents had cats before they had me and my sister). I said she can hear fine--she's just ignoring you. lol They do respond to names, yes--but if they don't feel like it, they won't move. On the other hand, as long as they know you're calling her or him--they'll come to you no matter what you call them, especially if they're the only four-leg in the house.

good luck with keeping your allergies at bay! i used to volunteer at an animal shelter. and i dont have any allergies to pet hair. i used to play with friends dogs and cats and had 0 problems. yet whenever i go to the cat shelter within 20 minutes i start to sneeze, nose gets stuffy, eyes watery...

i found the problem to be that they keep all the windows closed there because that way the cats "wont get sick".

when i opened the windows it alleviated my symptoms.

so i guess what im trying to say is to keep your rooms well ventilated :]

oh i haven't thought of opening a window. maybe i can do it during the day. that's a good idea, thanks! it'll probably help with the amount of allergens in the atmosphere.

and yeah, i really can't take the shelter for a long period of time either. i actually had to convince the shelter workers that i could go home with one cat and be okay, because when they saw me tearing up at the shelter, they weren't convinced. but it's so many allergens in one confined space! otherwise... well, volunteering is a great thing to do :) it seems like the animals there would benefit from more volunteers, poor things

Have you sought medication for your allergy? That may be helpful as well.

Cleaning litter is... unavoidable. Don't make a chore of it, as your cat will just find another clean spot to do his business if you don't clear the mess. If you're using the kitty litter, you must clean the litterbox daily.

Cats are quite regular when it comes to doing their business. They usually go twice a day - mine pees twice a day and craps once. Again, it depends on your cat's routine, but my vet says twice a day is fine. Is your male cat desexed? Also, be aware that male cats tend to suffer from UTI (crystals in the urinary tract), so be careful when you buy cat food. Avoid Science Diet (the brand) and avoid food that contains a high amount of salt. Choose something that has cranberry - ideally also get a bottle of cranberry powder for cats and feed him that regularly. Make sure he drinks plenty of water.

i hadn't heard that cats can get UTI. he's neutered of course -- i think all shelter cats are. i feed him nutro natural choice oceanfish flavor dry cat food, and i'd like to give him soft cat food from time to time, to give him a little treat. my boyfriend's cat is so used to soft cat food she won't eat anything else, but i don't want my cat to be like that, because i've heard wet cat food isn't good for them. mm no, i didn't get medication for myself. i already have so many other medications that i'd just rather blow my nose than swallow more pills hehe

anyone use self-cleaning litterboxes? i'm considering getting one of those.

A few weeks ago, my mother asked me if I thought she was deaf, because she wouldn't respond to her name if my mother called her. She responded to me, and she could hear the container with her dry food w/ no problems (or anything else she's interested in). She's the most independent cat we've ever had (my parents had cats before they had me and my sister). I said she can hear fine--she's just ignoring you. lol
haha... well, if cats are so independent, i guess it doesn't matter whether you talk to them or not. i figure, since i live alone, this cat probably knows if i'm speaking, it's to him. he seems like a smart cat. but i'm trying to come up with a name for him anyway, mostly so other people aren't like, "you didn't even give him a name?"

thanks for your advice and experiences! it's very helpful for me, since i've never really had a pet before, besides this hamster when i was twelve. i think i'm going to keep coming back here :)

well--some are more independant than others. Most of ours have been pretty huggy (one literally--she used to put her arms around our necks and squeeze) But I think Phoebe is this way because she never lived with a whole family before--just one person who worked during the day. Here she's never alone, because there's always someone in the house. She's gotten used to be touched so much more, but she'll let us know if she wants to be left alone. She does come when you call her most of the time, esp. if she's hungry. Everyone has nicknames, too--and respond to those also. Sounds like your cat already likes you. ^^; And I've never met any stupid four-legs (only two legs -.-), so yeah--I'm sure he knows you're talking to him when you're alone. lol

about the cat food-we give a little bit of dry food for a snack, but she does get mostly canned food. It's the moist stuff in pouches vets have told us to stay away from, and too much tuna, too.

there's some stuff on the first or second page about things poisonous to animals if you want to read.

Guest kyungxah

hello all..i dont know if that is the right place to ask this question..but here it is anyway..

i got a dog about...we got it about 3 years ago its a mixed poodle and silk terrier i think ><

we love it so much its a female..and my mom realllly wants to breed it? like...make it have puppies..

but we dont know how toooo start this!!! T_T we are so clueless and lost..

do we find a another dog..and just put them in a room and mate? or is there like some kind of rule..or a certian TIME..(my dog is grown she had her period)...and if a dog gets pregnant..how long is it? like humans is 8-9 months..how about dogs? ahh please PM or reply asap..we are dying to know >.<

i hadn't heard that cats can get UTI. he's neutered of course -- i think all shelter cats are. i feed him nutro natural choice oceanfish flavor dry cat food, and i'd like to give him soft cat food from time to time, to give him a little treat. my boyfriend's cat is so used to soft cat food she won't eat anything else, but i don't want my cat to be like that, because i've heard wet cat food isn't good for them. mm no, i didn't get medication for myself. i already have so many other medications that i'd just rather blow my nose than swallow more pills hehe

Male cats are prone to UTI, it's how their urinary tract is shaped, unfortunately. According to my vet, it's like how human females are prone to UTI as well. So yeah, just watch his diet and monitor his bowel movements and amount of pee. I know that may sound gross, but prevention is always better than cure.

I don't feed my cat wet food, but that's cuz post-surgery he's on a special diet that I get from the vet that helps with urinary problems. But I guess a little wet food won't hurt, sounds like your kitty is getting a pretty balanced diet. I'd still recommend the cranberry powder, though.

And do talk to your cat often. Cats are very intelligent and like it when you talk to them. Mine does :D

************ please read ******************

well-- i REALLY want a chinchilla, especially the mosaic ones, and im ready to buy it.

i have some questions:

1. does anyone know where i can buy a chinchilla around fullerton-like less than an hour is great, i found 2 farms, but 2 hours away... so help?

2. how much does it cost for a mosaic one?

3. how do you take care of it, what does it need?

4. how is its attitude--like is it wild and wreck everything?

5. how much does it cost to buy food, cage, etc?

6. can you keep it indoors/outdoors?

7. do you have to excercize it?

8. how long does it live?

9. what do you have to watch out for?

10. anything else you have to say?

i already googled some info, but i would love personal experiences.

Guest <3goesDOKIDOKI

************ please read ******************

well-- i REALLY want a chinchilla, especially the mosaic ones, and im ready to buy it.

i have some questions:

1. does anyone know where i can buy a chinchilla around fullerton-like less than an hour is great, i found 2 farms, but 2 hours away... so help? chinchillas are sold at pet stores like petco and petsmart. you can try craigslist i guess

2. how much does it cost for a mosaic one? chinchillas are around $220ish. give or take. went to petco the other day and they're sold at $180

3. how do you take care of it, what does it need? cage, food, water bottle, little house to sleep in, bath dust, dust bowl, toys/snacks

4. how is its attitude--like is it wild and wreck everything? they're nocturnal creatures. they're very fast and hyper at night. i've seen a chinchilla run along the walls of its cage before because it was going that fast. generally quite docile in temperament

5. how much does it cost to buy food, cage, etc? no clue sorry

6. can you keep it indoors/outdoors? chinchillas can ONLY live indoors because they can't stand extreme heat. if you leave a chinchilla in the sun it can overheat very easily (within 15-20 mins) and die, its one of their #1 causes of death...

7. do you have to excercize it? you should let it out of its cage for exercise :]

8. how long does it live? a pretty long time...8 years up to 20 years if you take care if it right

9. what do you have to watch out for? don't put it out in the heat!

10. anything else you have to say? they're adorable get one ;D

i already googled some info, but i would love personal experiences.

Archived