P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Guest ㄴㅏ 는 ㅎㅖ진

anyone have a chihuahua? I plan to buy one soon.. just wanna know how they are^^;

i had a chihuahua before

(from my experience)

-try to keep them away from little children due to their size, they could get really hurt

-theyre hard to housebreak

-they will yap at everything and everyone..they can get pretty nasty

-mine liked to be held and treated like a princess -__-

-they need lots of attention

hope that helped =)

i have a few questions concerning my puppy

1) my puppy eats hair off the floor, i always clean it but a totally hairless floor is impossible. will the hair just digest normally or what happens?

2) how much am i supposed to feed it? i always put in like a handful of food but my puppy eats it really quickly and still is hungry.

thanks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest geneyoonit

My fish is swimming vertically!

It's a pretty big and expensive fish, like $1000, and just recently we noticed that it's swimming with it's nose on the gravel!

What should I do? My dad doesn't want to lose such an expensive fish...

Your mad expensive fish probably has swim bladder.

Symptoms: Fish cannot keep a normal upright position in water; it may list to one side, float upside down, swim pointing head-downwards or upwards, be unable to rise from bottom, be unable to swim down to bottom. Fish may become listless and stop eating, but many carry on eating as usual.

I'm not really sure how to fix it...

I googled it and for goldfish it says to feed it boiled peas. LOL

I would ask and expert who knows fish, cuz I would not want to lose $1000 either.

alot of times, using SALT BATHS help fish... but depending on ur breed, DONT TRY IT BEFORE YOU LOOK IT UP.. because some fish are sensitive to salt, but most are not... make sure you have no plants when you try this as well, and make sure it's not just normal table salt (although it DOES work effectively, there are ions in there that would alter the chemical balance of your water)

just google it, there's more information about it anyway :)

Guest ~*BaybeE*~

i had a chihuahua before

(from my experience)

-try to keep them away from little children due to their size, they could get really hurt

-theyre hard to housebreak

-they will yap at everything and everyone..they can get pretty nasty

-mine liked to be held and treated like a princess -__-

-they need lots of attention

hope that helped =)

i have a few questions concerning my puppy

1) my puppy eats hair off the floor, i always clean it but a totally hairless floor is impossible. will the hair just digest normally or what happens?

2) how much am i supposed to feed it? i always put in like a handful of food but my puppy eats it really quickly and still is hungry.

thanks

I have a chihuahua too. except mine is reallie friendly with everyone, i think majority of them are yappy yet mine is very nice. She rarely barks. My chihuahua is only 5 pounds and 3 years old, my youngest brother was 7 when we got her, but if you teach the kids to be gentle around her, I honestly think everything is ok. Chihuahuas like all small dogs love to be pampered and are true lap dogs. They are very loyal, and are protective when they see that their owners are in danger... hope that helps~

and my dogs would accidentally swallow hair as they are eating, but it all comes back out in the end, so there is nothing to worry about =P If you look at the food cans or food bags, it shows on there how much to feed according to the weight of your dog. But every dog has their own amount that they eat. For a couple days watch how much food they can eat, and try to see if they are eating because they are truly capable of eating that amount, or if they are over eating~ =P

Guest JJ no Baka

have any of you guys had pomeranians? my pomeranian eats very little. he hates dog food but loves chicken. o.o; we would try to feed him dog food, but he wont eat no matter how hungry he is. so we feed him human food that is okay for dogs. i know its bad but my family rather feed him human food than to starve him. the problem is, he eats very little. is this normal? i have another friend who also has a pomeranian and she also said that her dog eats only chicken too and also eats very little. so i'm just wondering if its all pomeranians or is it just my dog?

Guest aznscrewball

Some dogs do prefer human food over dog food. Have you ever tried mixing dog food and human food together? How about wet dog food? Is the chicken that you feed him marinated or anything? Because all those herbs and spices are not healthy for dogs. If you want to feed him human food, you can look up hollistic dog diets. Some people think that home-made diets are healthier because they don't contain all the preservatives that commercial diets have.

http://www.healthrecipes.com/pet_supply.htm

^Heres a few examples of home made foods

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Your mad expensive fish probably has swim bladder.

Symptoms: Fish cannot keep a normal upright position in water; it may list to one side, float upside down, swim pointing head-downwards or upwards, be unable to rise from bottom, be unable to swim down to bottom. Fish may become listless and stop eating, but many carry on eating as usual.

I'm not really sure how to fix it...

I googled it and for goldfish it says to feed it boiled peas. LOL

I would ask and expert who knows fish, cuz I would not want to lose $1000 either.

Dude, green peas are amazing remedies for fish. Don't know for carnivorous ones though.

Aquarium salt helps draw out the toxins within its body; inexpensive also.

didn't want to have to make a new topic for this, but just wanted to ask those of you that have pets a few questions

1. Do you bring your pet to the veterinarian? If so, how often?

2. Do you visit the same veterinarian every time?

3. What made you choose to go to that particular veterinary clinic/veterinarian?

4. What do you think makes a good veterinarian?

you dont have to answer all questions, but it would be great if you could. please PM me rather than post in this thread.

thanks!

Guest JJ no Baka

Some dogs do prefer human food over dog food. Have you ever tried mixing dog food and human food together? How about wet dog food? Is the chicken that you feed him marinated or anything? Because all those herbs and spices are not healthy for dogs. If you want to feed him human food, you can look up hollistic dog diets. Some people think that home-made diets are healthier because they don't contain all the preservatives that commercial diets have.

http://www.healthrecipes.com/pet_supply.htm

^Heres a few examples of home made foods

i have tried every mixing dog foood/human food there is. he wont eat it. wet dog food, he doesnt eat it either. the chicken is not marinated. its like.those chicken you buy already baked from those stores that sells them. he eats those only.

oh, and thanks for the link! i will definitely try it. hopefully he will eat it.

Guest aznscrewball

If you are going to feed chicken to it, make sure its only chicken and no taste. All the herbs and spices and salt that come in already cooked, store-bought chicken is really bad for their health. The healthiest thing is to feel him boiled chicken, with very little or no salt in the water for boiling. Buy or borrow books from the library about Hollistic recipes for dogs, and it will give you a better selection on rounded meals for your dog than the internet will.

Dude, green peas are amazing remedies for fish. Don't know for carnivorous ones though.

Aquarium salt helps draw out the toxins within its body; inexpensive also.

Seriously? Does it work with Betta fish too? I've never heard of green peas. What exactly does it do to the fish?

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Seriously? Does it work with Betta fish too? I've never heard of green peas. What exactly does it do to the fish?

I haven't tried feeding my betta fish green peas yet, only because they never show signs of illness. It's pretty hard too, considering how small their mouths are. If you can get the peas cut up small enough to float around long enough for the betta to see, try it. My goldfish can usually eat them no problem, unless it sinks past them and they're too dumb to notice.

Peas act as a laxative for fish, similarly to how if humans eat lots of peas and greens, we end up in the washroom as well.. A fish's natural environment would have plenty of vegetation around so they don't become constipated. That abundance isn't usually present in an aquarium. Most fish are fed dry foods, and too much of it causes constipation. If you see your fish crapping out almost gel-like green waste, it's a good sign that the peas are cleansing their insides. Betta fish should also have a balanced diet with greens and their dry food (pellets, flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc.)

Peas will help clear the gut and provide more fiber in their diet. You can also try romaine lettuce, cooked green beans, cucumber or squash slices, but I use slightly boiled green peas, very easy. One problem with green peas are if the fish ignore it, it may cloud up the water -__-

Guest severus

My puppy somehow opened the lid of the garbage can like 20 mins ago, and ate half of the garbage in it.

Although the contents were all food contents, no chemicals or anything like that, there was still some pretty nasty stuff,

and human food can be harmful for dogs. Should I take heer to the vet? And it's getting close to her meal time,

should I still feed her dog food, even when she ate tons of scraps?

And I have another problem.

My puppy's almost 8 months old, and she's a GIANT black lab.

She's really quick t learning tricks and everything, and potty training her when she

was littler took no effort at all.

The only thing I'm worried about is when she get's too excited.

Whenever we go on walks, she gets all hyped up when she sees new people...

and she likes to greet them at eye level, meaning she likes jumping up

and licking people... whether they like it or not.

Because she's so huge, there were times when she almost knocked smaller

people over.

She also does this at home. When we leave for school, or work, and come back in

a couple hours, she gets really excited and likes pouncing us, half of the time almost knocking us over.

We know she's happy to see us, but it gets tiring day after day...

Is there a way to stop this?

The trainer said "just turn around abruptly and ignore her, so she knows pouncing wont get her any attention".

We've tried it, and it didn't work.

Guest geneyoonit

I haven't tried feeding my betta fish green peas yet, only because they never show signs of illness. It's pretty hard too, considering how small their mouths are. If you can get the peas cut up small enough to float around long enough for the betta to see, try it. My goldfish can usually eat them no problem, unless it sinks past them and they're too dumb to notice.

Peas act as a laxative for fish, similarly to how if humans eat lots of peas and greens, we end up in the washroom as well.. A fish's natural environment would have plenty of vegetation around so they don't become constipated. That abundance isn't usually present in an aquarium. Most fish are fed dry foods, and too much of it causes constipation. If you see your fish crapping out almost gel-like green waste, it's a good sign that the peas are cleansing their insides. Betta fish should also have a balanced diet with greens and their dry food (pellets, flakes, bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc.)

Peas will help clear the gut and provide more fiber in their diet. You can also try romaine lettuce, cooked green beans, cucumber or squash slices, but I use slightly boiled green peas, very easy. One problem with green peas are if the fish ignore it, it may cloud up the water -__-

oo.. didnt' kno that!

does it work as a treatment for dropsy as well?? cuz i think a couple of my neon tetras had dropsy (although i guess they wont eat peas cuz they dont eat their veggies)...

on the other hand:

i donno how to feed my african dwarf frog!!

My Aquarium:

- 11 Neon tetras

- 3 Micky mouse platys

- 4 Corys

- 7 Amano Shrimps (2 are pregnant! :D)

- 5 Otos

- 1 dwarf frog

the thing is.. the other fish keep eating the frog's food.. and even if i put food RIGHT infront of it, it wont eat it... its so freakin lazy ><

Guest itsf0'y0'mynd

i have a pet rabbit and whenever she gets hungry/bored she'll rip up the newspaper and start eating it...even when she has some food leftover she'll rip it up and eat it...and when bunnies thud there hind feet to the ground does that mean that they're angry? or happy?....i have alot of questions :] what does it mean when they make weird squeaking sounding noise? ehehe sorry :/

My puppy somehow opened the lid of the garbage can like 20 mins ago, and ate half of the garbage in it.

Although the contents were all food contents, no chemicals or anything like that, there was still some pretty nasty stuff,

and human food can be harmful for dogs. Should I take heer to the vet? And it's getting close to her meal time,

should I still feed her dog food, even when she ate tons of scraps?

And I have another problem.

My puppy's almost 8 months old, and she's a GIANT black lab.

She's really quick t learning tricks and everything, and potty training her when she

was littler took no effort at all.

The only thing I'm worried about is when she get's too excited.

Whenever we go on walks, she gets all hyped up when she sees new people...

and she likes to greet them at eye level, meaning she likes jumping up

and licking people... whether they like it or not.

Because she's so huge, there were times when she almost knocked smaller

people over.

She also does this at home. When we leave for school, or work, and come back in

a couple hours, she gets really excited and likes pouncing us, half of the time almost knocking us over.

We know she's happy to see us, but it gets tiring day after day...

Is there a way to stop this?

The trainer said "just turn around abruptly and ignore her, so she knows pouncing wont get her any attention".

We've tried it, and it didn't work.

okay so i sound like a dweeb. but i was watching this show called 'me or the dog' its some brill lady whose a dog trainer and there were these dogs that always jumped on people. and she did the ignoring when jumping thing.

and what she did was she brought a person not in the family, a friend or whatever, and what she did was like she brought the dog out and whenever it jumped the friend would turn around and ignore it and she'd take the dog into an empty room.

shed leave it in there for like 30 seconds then reintroduce the friend and the dog. over and over until the dog stopped jumping. apparantly like doing this over and over is supposed to give the dog the idea that seeing a person is no big deal like you desensitize it or something.

it seemed pretty easy...

....but maybe thats cause shes a genius dog trainer or something. lol. good luck with your dog...

QUESTION: has anyone here had a rottweiler before? im aiming to buy one and i was wondering how much they shed. i know they shed twice a year, but on normal occasions i mean. like when you pet the dog, do you have fur sticking to your hands?

Guest severus

Well, up until this day we feel like we made a mistake lol.

:( it's sad you feel that way.

anyways, my dog's trainer told me to use a choke chain if the dog was

forgetting it's place, and shreik reeaallyyyy loudly if he bites you o_o

how big is your dog, small dogs don't really need training other than the basics,

but professional training is HIGHLY reccomended for bigg dogs.

^ we used to take care of a rotweiler mix when his owner was out of town. He was such a sweet and smart doggie with a big headxD

But yeah they often shed. That guy needed brushing often cause hair would be all overxD I wonder if its because hes mixed but yeah.

Okay well I have a dog who I adopted out of pity 6 years ago. He was going to get killed the next day and well, I felt TOTALLY bad and got him.

Well, up until this day we feel like we made a mistake lol. I got bitten by him like 3 times and it was torture.

I hear dogs set up their system in their brain that the youngest is the lowest so they need to treat the youngest, horribly.

I think he forgot the fact that I rescued him and makes fun of me -_- I hate how my brother, dad, and even my dog makes fun of me lol.

Anyway, how I can make him see that I'm higher than himxD? I want to train him at times to not try to bite me for no reason. I pet him and he growls at times and try to bite me.

My mom says to ignore him but I want to pet his nice fur and skin, its so comfortable to squishxD

I wish i can do something about this dog T_T

once again on its me or the dog...lol.

1. never let your dog walk in through the door before you.

2. feed the dog after youve eaten.

3. never let it put its paws on you or something like that.,,? if youre going to rub it rub its stomach.

4. never look away first when he's staring.

those are the ones i remember, but im sure youll find more if you look it up online. :D

Guest aznscrewball

^ we used to take care of a rotweiler mix when his owner was out of town. He was such a sweet and smart doggie with a big headxD

But yeah they often shed. That guy needed brushing often cause hair would be all overxD I wonder if its because hes mixed but yeah.

Okay well I have a dog who I adopted out of pity 6 years ago. He was going to get killed the next day and well, I felt TOTALLY bad and got him.

Well, up until this day we feel like we made a mistake lol. I got bitten by him like 3 times and it was torture.

I hear dogs set up their system in their brain that the youngest is the lowest so they need to treat the youngest, horribly.

I think he forgot the fact that I rescued him and makes fun of me -_- I hate how my brother, dad, and even my dog makes fun of me lol.

Anyway, how I can make him see that I'm higher than himxD? I want to train him at times to not try to bite me for no reason. I pet him and he growls at times and try to bite me.

My mom says to ignore him but I want to pet his nice fur and skin, its so comfortable to squishxD

I wish i can do something about this dog T_T

Uh, I've never had that problem before but I'm sure some of the stuff I'm going to babble on about will be useful.

Ok, so the dog doesn't respect you. Its normal...In dogs, they think of the family as a pack. Alpha, beta, and so on hiearchy positions. Its seems like you are on the very bottom. (LOL this is my reasoning, I got it from 'Julie of the Wolves')

One way to make sure that you become of higher status then the dog, you have to be the one it depends on. Who is the one who feeds your dog? Usually the foodgiver is the one that the dog will respect. Same with the walks. It may seem harsh, but you need to have tough love for your dog to respect you. In my family, there is only one foodgiver. This way my dog is totally dependent on my for survival and thus I become important. Make sure no one else in your family feeds him other food behind your back though, cuz that defeats the whole purpose.

The same goes for all walks. If you dog wants a walk you want him to come to you. You should be the only one taking him out for walks, again this makes him totally dependent on you. Like babii3xquiisit3 said you should get one of those choker chains for large unmanageable dogs. The choker chain may look nasty, but it harmless to the dog so that you can pull it whenever it doesn't listen to you on walks. This again establishes dominance because the choker as the name describes chokes the dog for a second and the dog's ability to breath is totally dependent on you.

You also have to be forceful whenever you voice your displeasure when he does something wrong. A loud NO! will usually make him pay attention. Although people say not to hit the dog, but I always find a sharp slap on the butt (not hard, just light) accompanied by the NO! will get your point across (this should only be used if he does something really bad though). Never punish the dog a long time after he does something bad, because then he will associate the punishment with the wrong thing. Uhm, I feel like im missing something here but i dont know...

You must also praise him if he does something good too. A 'Good dog' praise or a treat will show him that if he is nice to you he gets a reward. Teach him simple things like sit even if your family has taught him before. Plenty of treats and praise will always make your dog happy.

Dogs don't just start hating on random ppl. If you seem scared, it will take advantage of you or ignore you. Especially abandoned dogs have lots of issues that need to be smoothed out. They are insecure and will bully those they think are weaker. Its never too late to bond with your dog.

Sheeeesh I wrote a lot....GL!

Guest ooobaby

Anyone know any reputable websites where I can purchase a Shichi (Shih Tzu and Chihuahua mix)? I babysat my brother's friend's shichi and I fell in love with it! They look like this:

ShiChiHybridShihTzuChihuahua6months.JPG

ShiChiRufusPuppy1.JPG

Guest bunkicake

My parakeet just died today.....

and this is the second time this even had happened and the story is

teh yellow one, is always the sruviving one. It is startng to become suspcious because its very aggressive and the last one died with a broken neck. What is wrong?

Archived