P E T S! All About Pets, Pets Pets Pets!

Guest DOVAHKIIN

Guest PDURRR

you should try to give your dogs lots of water to dilute it but yeah kinda late

hopefully his liver will take out all the harmful stuff

or maybe he'll just have bad case of diarrhea tomm

>_O

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest koumi

I wouldn't wait at all. Your dog just ingested harmful chemical that isn't meant for human/animal. You should contact the number written on the bottle for animal poison and also call your Vet ASAP. If you don't take any immediate actions, the chemicals that's in that spray can cause major damage to her system. You may think she's okay but you don't know that. I would have her check out at the vet. I really hope you don't delay this.

Guest berybluebear

Does anyone here have a Bernese Mountain dog?

because i just got a dog that is half Bernese Mountain.... and no one i kno knows about that type of dog...kinda weird?

Guest Ashley

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but my pet dove escaped from my house yesterday. I've had him for about 5 years, and he's never left before. At home, he follows me everywhere, I hand feed him everyday, take him to drink water, etc. However, once he left the house, it was as if he became someone else. He flew on top of trees, and didn't respond when I called him. He's been out overnight and I just found him on a nearby tree today. It seems like he doesn't recognize me anymore. I've tried calling him down, putting food on my hand, I brought his cage outside and his toys and nests as well, but all this isn't working. He flew around the neighbourhood from tree to tree, and fortunately, I don't think he'll leave the neighbourhood.

Do you guys have any other ideas of how I can get him back home? I'm afraid he's not going to be able to survive on his own for long. I doubt he had food or water last night. He's also unique in my area, so he doesn't have any of his kind to follow. I don't know what to do anymore. :tears:

EDIT :D He came back on his own!! Thanks PDURRR for replying!

Guest PDURRR

well if you feed him like you normally feed him in some distinct area he might come if you leave food? and then you can trap him (and then have his wings clipped haha...jk)

Guest jasmineaura

this forum is making me real sad because it makes me think of how my parents have pampered our little shih tzu, Sammy, like they would a little kid. he is fed human food quite often to the point where we feel bad if all we feed him is his dog food. the other day he wasn't feeling well and had thrown up yellowish bile a few times that morning. that same evening my dad gave him some tummy medicine (HUMAN liquid medicine) and i was like nooo! but they said it's just tummy medicine so it's nothing strong *shakes head* >_< another thing is that he is bathed at least ONCE if not TWICE a week with HUMAN bar of soap. my mom has even washed him with Pantene Pro-V shampoo before >_< all of this disturbs me even though i can understand how hard it is to not view him as a human baby. spoiling your doggy is a bad BAD idea.

this forum is making me real sad because it makes me think of how my parents have pampered our little shih tzu, Sammy, like they would a little kid. he is fed human food quite often to the point where we feel bad if all we feed him is his dog food. the other day he wasn't feeling well and had thrown up yellowish bile a few times that morning. that same evening my dad gave him some tummy medicine (HUMAN liquid medicine) and i was like nooo! but they said it's just tummy medicine so it's nothing strong *shakes head* >_< another thing is that he is bathed at least ONCE if not TWICE a week with HUMAN bar of soap. my mom has even washed him with Pantene Pro-V shampoo before >_< all of this disturbs me even though i can understand how hard it is to not view him as a human baby. spoiling your doggy is a bad BAD idea.

What the...

Can you please do your dog a favour and bring him to the vet for a check-up? It's bad enough feeding him human food and washing him with shampoo for humans, but to feed him meds meant for humans? This is torturing the poor animal. Do you have any idea what it means to take care of a pet?

Guest lumiere

^ You're being far too harsh.."torturing the poor animal"? Although good intentions is no excuse, it's clear that they love their dog, which is more than one could say for a lot of families. I'm sure if her parents were more aware of the effects of human food/medicine on dogs, they wouldn't have spoiled their dog that way.

Just take Sammy for a check-up ASAP; human medicine is definitely not good for dogs.

Hey guys, I have a question. Today when I came home I saw about fifty ants crawling over a piece of bread. I completely freaked out and used a spray that killed them all. My dog, however, tempted by the smell of bread, decided to eat it while I wasn't looking. Obviously, the bread was probably soaked with the chemical that I sprayed, not to mention tons of dead ants all over it. So I am wondering, would this harm my dog? It's been about 6 hours and she's doing fine, but I am afraid that something might happen.

Don't wait at all. Go to the vet immediately. My dog also ingested harmful chemicals from a spray that kills bugs and rodents. My mom went to the bet immediately and my dog's vet treated my dog with some medicine and said that she was lucky to still be alive and well.

Guest aznscrewball

You should realize that dog does not equal person. Dog food is made specifically for dog and human food for humans. Human food has a lot of MSG and flavoring that can be harmful to a dog's health. If you are going to feed a dog human food, make sure that there is no salt or oil in anything you feed him. Everything is boiled with no flavoring. Human food can actually be pretty healthy for dogs and can be known as holistic food. Rice is cooked without flavouring, and chicken boiled in only water is VERY healthy. Some holistic experts say that dog food can also have a lot of preservatives in it that can be harmful to dogs...darn I'm rambling again. I am assuming you gave him food right off the table, that might be the reason your dog has an upset stomach.

DO NOT EVER give your dog human medicine. The dosage is different in humans and animals which can lead to even more sicker dogs. Dogs ocassionally get sick too. From experience I say that usually yellowish bile in the morning means that it has not eaten that morning. The cure for my dog (warning, might not work for all dogs) is just to take her on a LONG walk and feed her some DOG food by hand. Make sure that he eats something. Usually that cures it pretty quickly.

I think bathing your dog too much is REALLy unhealthy for the dog. I would say do not bath it more then once a month because I assume it is a longhair. Shih Tzus actually have HAIR instead of FUR. Like ours, washing it too much is not good for the hair. He needs time to build up hair oil to protect himself. Only wash it when you feel that his hair is getting oily to the touch. I think washing the dog with a bar of soap is not that bad, but obviously not as good as washing with dog shampoo. If you want to wash your dog with human shampoo, something light such as J&J Baby Shampoo is good. NO WASHING WITH PANTENE! I find that it is strong even for human hair, imagine what it will do with dog hair.

If you read this, make sure to tell your parents this information. Please...or buy them a 'How to take care of dogs book'...

Sorry I wrote more then I meant to.

Guest jasmineaura

You should realize that dog does not equal person. Dog food is made specifically for dog and human food for humans. Human food has a lot of MSG and flavoring that can be harmful to a dog's health. If you are going to feed a dog human food, make sure that there is no salt or oil in anything you feed him. Everything is boiled with no flavoring. Human food can actually be pretty healthy for dogs and can be known as holistic food. Rice is cooked without flavouring, and chicken boiled in only water is VERY healthy. Some holistic experts say that dog food can also have a lot of preservatives in it that can be harmful to dogs...darn I'm rambling again. I am assuming you gave him food right off the table, that might be the reason your dog has an upset stomach.

DO NOT EVER give your dog human medicine. The dosage is different in humans and animals which can lead to even more sicker dogs. Dogs ocassionally get sick too. From experience I say that usually yellowish bile in the morning means that it has not eaten that morning. The cure for my dog (warning, might not work for all dogs) is just to take her on a LONG walk and feed her some DOG food by hand. Make sure that he eats something. Usually that cures it pretty quickly.

I think bathing your dog too much is REALLy unhealthy for the dog. I would say do not bath it more then once a month because I assume it is a longhair. Shih Tzus actually have HAIR instead of FUR. Like ours, washing it too much is not good for the hair. He needs time to build up hair oil to protect himself. Only wash it when you feel that his hair is getting oily to the touch. I think washing the dog with a bar of soap is not that bad, but obviously not as good as washing with dog shampoo. If you want to wash your dog with human shampoo, something light such as J&J Baby Shampoo is good. NO WASHING WITH PANTENE! I find that it is strong even for human hair, imagine what it will do with dog hair.

If you read this, make sure to tell your parents this information. Please...or buy them a 'How to take care of dogs book'...

Sorry I wrote more then I meant to.

aznscrewball and lumiere i actually really appreciate the input and thank you for stating it in a kind and concerned way..as for the others that replied..no comment.

i obviously love Sammy a lot and i'm concerned about how we're taking care of him. otherwise why would i even sit here writing about this?

getting a book on how to take care of dogs is a WONDERFUL idea. i am definitely going to consider it. i've been slowly trying to warn my parents about how they are taking care of him so no worries.

our pets are our pride and joy =) shower them with love!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Star*Eun Ji

i jus adopted a puppy from the RSPCA.. its vaccinated, microchiped and desexed.. soo its all good =]

my pup breed is stuffy/wolf hound ... will that turn big??..

coz my backyard is not that big...

im scared if i leave it in my backyard it will run away or freeze.. ==''

my frend is giving me a kennel soo i hope it sleeps in it..

OHHH and i dont noe wat to name it... =[...

Guest nataku_pilot

I'm so excited that I've discovered this!

I didn't read through all 12 pages so forgive me if I'm re-asking a question. I recently got a puppy and she has to stay inside the house until she's fully vaccinated. The problem is she's just peeing all over the place no matter what we try to do to control it!

I've tried getting her to pee on paper but she just ends up ripping it to pieces, mopped my house with vinegar (my friend who has tons of pets does this and they pee where ever they don't smell vinegar) but for some reason it doesn't work for my puppy!

So just hoping that anyone else has other suggestions!

Guest Disco_Mouse

Hi, I was wondering if anyone know a place where I can find a mate for my dog?

I have a 1 yr old, AKC, female Shih tzu that is looking for a ACK, male mate.

aznscrewball and lumiere i actually really appreciate the input and thank you for stating it in a kind and concerned way..as for the others that replied..no comment.

i obviously love Sammy a lot and i'm concerned about how we're taking care of him. otherwise why would i even sit here writing about this?

getting a book on how to take care of dogs is a WONDERFUL idea. i am definitely going to consider it. i've been slowly trying to warn my parents about how they are taking care of him so no worries.

our pets are our pride and joy =) shower them with love!

I have to tell you honestly--even though your parents may be doing it the wrong way---at least they're doing it. I've read so many posts in soompi about someone that gets a dog and the parents decide get 'rid' of it for various reasons (without even asking)--so hearing about people who actually care about the animal (other than the usual) is a change. -__- If you get them the book--and convice them to do things the right way--I think Sammy will be fine. The most important things they should know are NEVER to give an animal meds menat for humas--unless the vet says it's okay. Things like Tylenol will kill them. And so will foods like DARK CHOCOLATE and onions. You probably know all this already...but if you need some more info for your parents--about what your dog/other animals shouldn't eat--there's info on the first or second page of this thread. aznscrewball's post has some of that food info--these are also some of the things I feed my dog regularly. She gets a good quality dry food (soaked in her bowl so it expands in her dish--not her belly), and I cook everything else for her.

nataku_pilot~ she can't even go out for short trips? My dog doesn't have any shots either (hasn't had for years--she's 11 now), other than rabies--but she does go out in her own backyard to relieve herself. Puppy pads or paper never worked for us either--but we took them out like every half hour--before meals, after meals--before bed, after waking up--just so they would get the idea. We hardly ever had any accidents, and they do learn fast. I don't know if I should recommend crate training--I think I'll leave this to someone who can help you better. >< I don't want to give you any bad info. =/

Star*Eun Ji My familiy has had Wolfhounds since I'm 6, so I grew up with them (My dog is in my profile pic). They are big, but even though your dog is mixed--I can't say how big it will be--but be prepared just in case. Some people decide they can't handle big dogs after they're grown. >< And I know some people opinions will differ on keeping dogs outside-- but none of my family believe in that. I'm sorry if that sounds terrible...or if others so the opposite. Many dogs (like ours) are pack animals and don't like to be away from people--and living outside isn't good for all breeds--or personalities... Especially in winter--or summer when it's hot. I'd worry about the same things as you. (We don't have a huge yard either, but it's enough. ) I don't want to scare you-I don't mean to be mean. What kind of kennel is it? And is it an indoor or outdoor one? I think it's great that you adopted--and that you're worried about caring for it. Do you already have a vet? If not--maybe friends could recommend a good one (we've known too many of the other kind -__-* )--and then he or she will be able to help you with the other stuff you have questions about.

as for a name- look at your dog for a while, and you'll probably come up with one. Maybe you can post a pic in the pet thread in 411 (or if you're 20 or over, in that forum) some time. I'd like to see what he/she looks like. ^^

Guest aznscrewball

i jus adopted a puppy from the RSPCA.. its vaccinated, microchiped and desexed.. soo its all good =]

my pup breed is stuffy/wolf hound ... will that turn big??..

coz my backyard is not that big...

im scared if i leave it in my backyard it will run away or freeze.. ==''

my frend is giving me a kennel soo i hope it sleeps in it..

OHHH and i dont noe wat to name it... =[...

Whats a stuffy? I've never heard of it.

I'm so excited that I've discovered this!

I didn't read through all 12 pages so forgive me if I'm re-asking a question. I recently got a puppy and she has to stay inside the house until she's fully vaccinated. The problem is she's just peeing all over the place no matter what we try to do to control it!

I've tried getting her to pee on paper but she just ends up ripping it to pieces, mopped my house with vinegar (my friend who has tons of pets does this and they pee where ever they don't smell vinegar) but for some reason it doesn't work for my puppy!

So just hoping that anyone else has other suggestions!

Puppies don't neccesarily have to stay inside the house before they get vaccinations. I wonder who told you this? I think they meant that it shouldn't have contact with other dogs. This is because adult dogs have built up immune systems and could be carrying many viruses and bacteria that is benign to them, but can be harmful to a puppy with a less developed immune system. It's safe to take it outside and is important that you get it used to peeing outside instead of inside.

I wonder if people actually come back and read people's responses to their questions?

Guest MoonlightChunsa

I don't know if it's the same with kittens as it is with puppies but they're supposed to spend most of their time sleeping. I know our pups used to sleep 12+ hours and the vet said it was completely normal.

Not to worry. Cats sleep a lot, on average they can sleep 13-16 hours a day. My three-year-old spends more than half his day snoozing. Kittens tend to sleep just as much as adult cats, or even more. If there's a drastic change in sleeping patterns, then that should be a cause for worry. But generally, cats are big sleepers.

thanks for the info guys really appreciated! ^_^ altho when i first got she was sleeping too much and even sneezing a lot and her eyes looked puffy i probably should have mentioned that b4 but i didn't notice it then...anyway she fine and the reason for all that in the begining was because the animal shelter gave her some kind of treatment i guess when they first got her so she was a little weak from it but she's okay now thank goodness and sleeps and plays like she supposed too ^_^ oh here's a pic of her too

m_10eda87004bce88874d5d3adc4aefbb2.jpg isn't she a cutie ^_^ i think she about 10 weeks or so now

Guest nataku_pilot

Thanks for the replies MythnoonA and aznscrewball.

My vet was told me to keep her inside at all times cuz palvo's in season rite now plus it's raining a lot these days so I can't take her outside even if I could.

I'll start researching the crate training...I'm still trying with the paper. Sometimes she gets it and other times she doesn't. lol

Guest aznscrewball

^Ahh That makes sense. When it gets sunny and dry outside take her out for a few minutes so she knows what fresh air is. I can't really remember what its called, but I think there was a type of spray where you can spray it on the mat or wherever you want her to pee and the scent will attract her into peeing in that spot. Also when she is older and able to go outside, you might consider teaching her how to go on command? I taught my dog how to pee and poo on command and that has saved me a LOT of time when I need to go back in to study for finals.

LOL...you are lucky you don't have carpet. When my dog was potty training she had to pee every 2 hours. It pissed the hell out of my parents and I think almost every inch of our carpet has been peed on at on time or another.

Guest nataku_pilot

lol we had a mat and she peed on it once and my mother went psycho! we don't use it now though, I heard of that spray/chemical thing, but I'm afraid she'll jus try to lick it or something. lol. Thanks for the advice I'll try to train her, all I need is patience....

Archived