Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest Faded Aura

I was wondering... How do you make your voice "blend" into the instrumental music more? I've tried recording over and over again, but when I play it, it just sounds really obvious that you're singing it "on top" of the instrumental instead of "blended in" with the instrumental... I'm not sure if I'm expressing myself clearly... ><;;... Like... Some recordings sounds really smooth so it mixes into the instrumental really well, while other recordings are standing out...

Guest appledapple

I use Cool Edit Pro 2.1...

When you're done doing your vocal and touching it up, adding effects, etc, save it as a MONO Mp3

Reopen it and your instrumental track (which is stereo for this to work). The vocal should now sit it the track. Play around with the volume until it's where you want it. Your lead vocal should be mono...well, at least that helps me, but I am no pro so this ain't the law :) But it seems to help to do it that way. Good luck.

Guest Faded Aura

It works!!! =] Thank youu!!!!

But then I have one problem with it... It seems the bass part is extremely loud after I save the mixdown as a mono MP3... Is it because I did something wrong while saving?

Guest hmaster

you're saving the mixdown as a mono mp3...or just your vocals as a mono?

personally I don't know why you bother with a summed mixdown to mono, because you can assign inputs into the track via the IN OUT tabs. By selecting either left or right (usually for mono it's left) Audition automatically generates a mono waveform.

However, if you have a perfectly balanced input signal, then it won't matter whether or not you have mono or stereo, because the L/R signals are exactly the same. although do remember that because stereo is two channels of audio and mono's one, stereo files are twice as big as mono files.

However for the purposes of home recording, whether or not you record in mono isn't the issue. I'm lazy and can't be bothered assigning channels correctly, so all my vocals are "stereo."

it's more to do with your mixing techniques/equipment than your file itself.

When i listen to myself sing, it seems like i sound ok but then i record it and i sound really boring. There are parts where i can get my notes moving in the right way but for the most part, i can't seem to get my voice to kind of shiver so it gives a good effect. When i say shiver, i mean the way that singers constantly move their voices up and down when they are on long notes.

when you listen to yourself sing, you aren't just hearing your own voice, but the sound waves coming off the walls of your room as well. This is called reverberation. Most microphones are not sensitive enough, or you're too close to the microphone so that it masks the reverberation.

So therefore you sound "dead" on playback. Reverb must then be added artificially via effects.

Uhh I know this may seem like a stupid question, but whats the definition of vibrato cos I don't think we use that word in my country and its not in the dictionary o_o

xD I honestly didn't know either so it's not a stupid question. It's the vibrating of your voice. People that don't know that word usually say "shaking" or "up and down" or something =/ Everyone has natural vibratto, it's just that you can hear it more in stronger voices. Umm...if you listen to opera singers and stuff, it's more distinct.

Guest K_Holic

^^ opera is all about all that 'shaking up and down'....i have an opinion question for people here...do you think that everyone has the ability to sing beautifully?

Guest appledapple

^^ opera is all about all that 'shaking up and down'....i have an opinion question for people here...do you think that everyone has the ability to sing beautifully?

Anyone who's not tone deaf (which is EXTREMELY rare) can learn technique with dedication, practice, and a teacher who knows what they're doing...When I think of "beautiful", though, I think of the tonecolor of someone's voice and liking that is a matter of opinion....at least it is for me :P

Guest appledapple

How about do you think that every can sing beautifully "without" a teacher?

Um....No, because their technique may be very poor and they can read all they want and it may even help some people but a live person to work with them would be so much better so that their physical approach to things could be observed and they could listen to them and catch things.

Hi, I'm new to recording somewhat. Just a quick question.

What programs would I want for mixing/creating tracks? I'm transferring colleges (AIS) next year for Audio Production. I'm unsure of what software programs they use. I've heard a few but I'd like to know what you guys use.

So far I've heard of:

Pro Tools 7

Reason 3.0

Cakewalk

Cubase SX

Uhh, i have a really deep voice, and its really hard singing normals songs(in the right key) without sounding raspy(retarded) and keeping a steady pitch... is there a way to practice to change that?..

And when i have to sing a song, i have to usually lower an octave or somthing lol.. making the song sound retarded >__<.. and scary..

^ My friend's the same but she's a girl. Her voice is seriously deep O_o

I guess the only thing you can do is practise or just sing deeper songs.

Uhh.. I sound weak when I reach high notes... *is that wad ppl call falsetto?*

Cos I don't really get wad falsetto is xD... Explain? ><"

How to train myself to reach high notes with um... my real voice?

And I think I sound nasally, How to get rid of that?

I know ppl had taught to use ur stomache to breathe and stuffs...

But I don't get how to u breath with ur stomache? ><

I'm new to singing... So pardon my "newbie-ness"? :P

So help me please~ I hope my questions make sense...

Thanks in advance.. ;)

Um...yeah, it is called falsetto although falsetto can be quite strong. Like Mariah Carey on high notes xD

Well, breathing with your stomach. Your stomach goes out when you breathe in and your chest and shoulders shouldn't be moving much. It's probably easier if you stand up ^^0

With reaching the notes, best thing you can do is practise. Read JiHye's post a few pages back :D

Correct me please because I'm almost sure what i said is wrong haha.

Hmm.. When recording... Do you sing far from the mic?

I don't know what's wrong with my mic.. I adjusted it to 100% *the volume*

But whenever I sing.. like maybe from a short distance only.. I sound really soft..

But if I sing closely to the mic.. then it sounds really weird.. It doesn't sound right..

As in kinda 'echo-ey' and... err I don't know how to explain it.. Hmm...

How do I solve this? I hope I make my question clear...

Help me please and thanks in advance! :)

It's either your soundcard or you have your mic on mute.

Go to the sound properties thing, Options > Advanced Controls then click the Advanced Button. You should find a mic boost thing there, check it.