Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

The only 'professional' mic near that price range if you're really, really lucky is the Behringer XM8500. For what it sounds like, listen to Sou's stuff.

In future, you can't expect good quality from microphones in the 20-30 dollar price range. And that's in any currency.

And if you bothered looking at previous posts, you'll notice I've said this AND listed examples of budget pro microphones. no need for caps, sol.

thanks. it was in caps cause it's important.

i'm auditioning for a company, and i need to know what kind of mic to use so that i can make a demo CD for them. :PPP i can put caps if i want mister.

anyways, i googled the microphone and it seems like it only gives you the mic, not the cord or anything else... does anyone know what to do? O_O??

-S0LLY ^3^

Guest xmichellee

i have this prob...you know, when sometimes people sing and want to go on the higher note, their voice will change eh?

well, i'm doing the same as well cos i can't sing high notes without doing so and i sound bad <_<

so, how can i sing the high notes nicely? i need help =(

Guest tsububu

thanks. it was in caps cause it's important.

i'm auditioning for a company, and i need to know what kind of mic to use so that i can make a demo CD for them. :PPP i can put caps if i want mister.

anyways, i googled the microphone and it seems like it only gives you the mic, not the cord or anything else... does anyone know what to do? O_O??

-S0LLY ^3^

I think you need to go out there shopping..any music shop or electronics store should have the cable.

i have this prob...you know, when sometimes people sing and want to go on the higher note, their voice will change eh?

well, i'm doing the same as well cos i can't sing high notes without doing so and i sound bad <_<

so, how can i sing the high notes nicely? i need help =(

Practise, practise and practise.

Do scales and warmups a lot. It'll come naturally ^^

Guest s u s i e

When I'm recording theres this really annoying static sound that generates over my voice.

How do I get rid of it? Btw I use audicity.

If audicity cant get rid of it, please reccomend me a program that can minimise the static. Thanks =]

Guest tsububu

Does anyone know any good mics that come out clear for cheap? Lets say..around $30

Hold on - go back a few posts and you should see an exact same question was asked.

Or you can build your own for $5.

Guest hmaster

if you're going to audition for some sort of company, honestly, it won't get you really far if you're going to just do stuff at home...that only works if you're really, really good. Find a friend who's done this stuff and get him/her to record it for you.

Chances are whoever's in charge will want you to do the stuff again at their own studios, so it doesn't really justify you going out to buy all that equipment.

Hi, I've got a few questions..

1. I sometimes tend to sing too much from my throat. I can feel sometimes (not always though) but for some songs I strain my throat. How can I stop this? Exercises? Tips?

2. While singing, sometimes for some songs, I get kind of lightheaded/dizzy a little while after I start singing the song. I have no idea why but I'm guessing it's the way I'm singing (probably cause I use my throat?). Has anyone else had any experience with this? How to stop/prevent/fix this?

3. What exactly is head voice, chest voice and all that. I had no idea there was a chest voice until I looked through this thread and if anyone could provide me to links or explanations along with tips/exercises for training my voice more properly.

4. On some songs, the pitch is either too low or too high for me to sing well. I can sing it but either I'll strain to sing it or sound way too low. I'm guessing training my voice will help this but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Guest sikkony

Hi, I've got a few questions..

1. I sometimes tend to sing too much from my throat. I can feel sometimes (not always though) but for some songs I strain my throat. How can I stop this? Exercises? Tips?

2. While singing, sometimes for some songs, I get kind of lightheaded/dizzy a little while after I start singing the song. I have no idea why but I'm guessing it's the way I'm singing (probably cause I use my throat?). Has anyone else had any experience with this? How to stop/prevent/fix this?

3. What exactly is head voice, chest voice and all that. I had no idea there was a chest voice until I looked through this thread and if anyone could provide me to links or explanations along with tips/exercises for training my voice more properly.

4. On some songs, the pitch is either too low or too high for me to sing well. I can sing it but either I'll strain to sing it or sound way too low. I'm guessing training my voice will help this but any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!!

Alright, let's clear some stuff up. When they go don't sing from your throat, that's a misleading statement, especially to those who are untrained in singing. Only the trained singers understand what is meant by "don't sing in your throat", or even, "don't sing with your stomach" ETC ETC. It's all misleading if you don't know the basics of singing already.

You always sing from your throat (well that's where the voice box is isn't? :P), but the sound itself, may be aided in production by other things such as your lips (on OOO sounds), or your tongue on EEE sounds etc etc. Ask the more trained singers in here ("vocally correct in technique" singers I mean), they'll probably give a better description than what I have said. I'm not sure what is exactly meant on singing in your throat honestly, but I assume that's what the majority means? Someone correct me if wrong.

Anyways,

Q1: You stop it by releasing your larynx.

Q2: You're probably straining so much that you're tiring yourself. That, or your singing while hungry? I noticed that if you sing while you're hungry, it's a recipe for disaster. You get very hungry, and then, super tired.

Q3: Chest voice is what you talk in. Apparently some females talk in the mixed voice, I don't know, but the majority talks in their chest voice. If you hold a low note, say below middle C, that's chest voice (granted you didn't try to add effects to that note that could change it into something weird). Headvoice is the high voice, you hear in Mariah Carey, or a better example, go listen to Robbie William's Trippin'. Those high notes he put out, are headvoice.

Q4: Indeed. Training will always help. If you were to train with a vocal teacher (who teaches correctly because not all of them do), you will guaranteed higher notes, and most likely, lower notes. I think if you give those good singers here a nudge, ie, Anjo, Sou, Solly (I can't remember the some of the rest) they can help give you some vocal excercises that would help you get on the right path.

Guest babohyungjin

anybody use audacity? when i record it seems fine.. however when i play it back, it doesn't "line up" correctly.. and theres like a .5 sec lag between my voice and the instrumental.. anybody kno how i can tweak it?

*edit..

nm.. my other computer was just being laggy.. =X lol

Guest sikkony

anybody use audacity? when i record it seems fine.. however when i play it back, it doesn't "line up" correctly.. and theres like a .5 sec lag between my voice and the instrumental.. anybody kno how i can tweak it?

*edit..

nm.. my other computer was just being laggy.. =X lol

Yes, depending on the quality of your soundcard, some soundcards have more lag then others.

Guest bByXsTaCE

on soundclick it sais to only upload MP3 files and im d/l the song from my computer from sound recorder so how can i make it into an MP3 file? if not is there another way i can d/l it?

Does anyone take vocal lessons?

I've always wanted to take lessons but it's hard going about finding a teacher. How much does one usually cost? I know it varies from person to person but is there an average? Also, what should I expect from the teacher? What are some good questions to ask?