Singing Tips & Recording Questions

JohnnyMoon

Guest K_Holic

When i listen to myself sing, it seems like i sound ok but then i record it and i sound really boring. There are parts where i can get my notes moving in the right way but for the most part, i can't seem to get my voice to kind of shiver so it gives a good effect. When i say shiver, i mean the way that singers constantly move their voices up and down when they are on long notes.

Guest babiixru

^ you don't really sing for warm-ups. for warm-ups before you sing a song, you do like scales. like...singing each of the words on one scale:

goog

gug (gha-ug)

mum

no

nay (the sound a horse makes...neigh)

and you can even do fancier scales, but those should be enough ^^

some suggest doing various exercises like sticking out your tongue and moving it side to side like 3 times, doing arm circles, holding out your arms in jumping jack positions and raising them so that it looks like you're about to dive into a pool and then lowering them down to your sides. there's a lot. just google it ^^

When i listen to myself sing, it seems like i sound ok but then i record it and i sound really boring. There are parts where i can get my notes moving in the right way but for the most part, i can't seem to get my voice to kind of shiver so it gives a good effect. When i say shiver, i mean the way that singers constantly move their voices up and down when they are on long notes.

that shiver you're talking about is called a vibratto and can be developed through practice. you can use finger points to help you like sing a note and hold it out. then point at something and then as if you were shaking your hand with someone move your arm up and down. you'll get a weird vibratto sound, but it will help you get one. but some people say that it's bad for you, so i suggest just keep singing and it will come naturally one day xD

Hello, I just wanna ask what can Adobe Audition do? I've downloaded the trials version but I'm all lost... I tried downloading the tutorials in the 1st page but I can't open the file.. I have no idea why. Can Adobe Audition extract vocals from songs? For example I wanna sing this song in 'karaoke version' without the original singer.. Like instrumental. Which programme can do that? I hope somebody can help me with this cos it's my first time.. Thanks for the help!

if you're using adobe audition, on the organizer window (the list that has the words multitrack, amplitude, filters, and etc stuff on it vertically--they also have little boxes ont he left with a plus sign--click the plus sign to see more options for that um..."genre.") click the plus sign next to filters --> center channel extractor --> karaoke. and then just play around with the settings to get the best "instrumental." and like raissa said...you can't PERFECTLY get the vocals out =)

ANYWAY, i have a question of my own. what's the "best" way of extracting vocals? (no not removing vocals...keeping the vocals aka making it an acapella) i've tried many ways but they don't seem to work as well as some of the "only-vocal" songs i've heard--basically the methods i used (after reading a few sites) doesn't take away MOST OF THE background music.

here's what i've tried:

1. using the vocal extraction in adobe audition

2. in the filters section and graphic equalizer section, i've used the lo-fidelity preset & simple bass cut preset & the quick hi-pass filter (basically i was trying to get rid of the high & low frequencies and get rid of the bass)

but they didn't work!! someone help TT_TT

Guest angelwingerz

I'm not sure if this question was asked before, but does the quality of your mic affect the way you voice sounds when you play it back? If so, what is a good mic?

Guest babiixru

to babiixru:

Using Adobe Audition go to:

Effects -> Filters -> Centre Channel Extractor then choose Acapella

i already said i tried that -_____-;;

but it doesn't work well...i want to hear mostly vocals!

like this: http://s62.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0HXSHGL...WQ0TCD7VGNRH1UI

NEVER MIND! found a method! but it requires the instrumental (the exact one)

here's how you do it:

1. using CEP (adobe audition works fine too) using the multitrack view, line up both the song and the instrumental. *important* make sure they're the SAME EXACT LENGTH! you can copy and paste the beginning length of the song and paste it over the beginning of the instrumental to get them the same exact length

2. then invert the instrumental file. Inverting will (not in all cases) help remove most of the background music and voila...an acapella version xDD

notes: it doesn't always work though! depends on the song. it works better with radio edits because of the muted vocal channels or something.

Hm. Like, if you're singing a sad song, think of something really sad, in your life. If it's an angry song, pretend your yelling at your boyfriend or something. Musical performance is half about vocal quality and half about acting. You have to commit yourself to a song in order to get the proper conviction across, i think. ^^

i have a problem adding EMOTION to my singing.

any tips??

Sou said it pretty nicely. Singing is half acting, or maybe ALL acting. When you sing someone else's song, you become that character, you become the one that is trying to convey all the lyrics and emotions of the song to the audience and you need to really think about it from the song's character's POV.

My voice teacher actually made me study the lyrics, think up who the character I was to be and answer questions about how I would think about what the words are saying, etc. It was really hard for me at the beginning because I'm pretty shy about that stuff and I prefer to just DO it and not think about it, but it really does help.

I also think it really helps if you choose to sing songs that share the emotion or experience you're feeling/going through at the moment you want to sing.

Guest lovablekrnstar63

FIRST TIME POSTING HERE!

sry for the big font.. jst wanna catch attention =]

i dont kno if it was posted already

but my 2 questions

1) how do you broaden your range? (yes, practice)

but practice doing what?? what do i need to do to make my ranger broader?

i wanna make it a LOT more higher (i can now COMFORTABLY sing at high f sharp)

& wanna make it a bit lower (i can sing COMFORTABLY sing at low a)

2) how do you sing louder???

i just cnat do it

whenver i try, my throat starts hurting and i get dizzy

and i do use my diaphram but i don't kno what's up

any tips for me anyone?

Guest malmanea87

FIRST TIME POSTING HERE!

sry for the big font.. jst wanna catch attention =]

i dont kno if it was posted already

but my 2 questions

1) how do you broaden your range? (yes, practice)

but practice doing what?? what do i need to do to make my ranger broader?

i wanna make it a LOT more higher (i can now COMFORTABLY sing at high f sharp)

& wanna make it a bit lower (i can sing COMFORTABLY sing at low a)

2) how do you sing louder???

i just cnat do it

whenver i try, my throat starts hurting and i get dizzy

and i do use my diaphram but i don't kno what's up

any tips for me anyone?

to sing higher i guess practice on hard songs?

but not too hard so that ur voice cracks every other second while singing

pick songs that you can reach but you barely reach it or you're almost cracking you voice singing the song.

practice the song over and over and eventually you'll master the song.

and then move on to harder songs and so on.

hmm..how to sing lower..i hab no clue :lol: imma guy so yea, i neva work on dat

and singing louder, you juss gotta use lotsa air and remember to open wide when you sing.

throat hurting is actually pretty common for beginners. but yea not sure if you are one.

i think issh actually good to sing until you're throat's kinda sore once in a while.

that kinda opens up your vocal chords to a wider range i think.

welpz, daz all i can say. :)

*oh and this wasnt in ur question, but i'll say it anyways. when you sing, DO NOT force out anythin fancy like vibratto or w/e. juss sing in a straight tone until you have enough power & control over it. the techniques come after that

Guest K_Holic

i noticed that people say it's better to sing out loud and wide but does it actually help you move from one note to another smoothly? li know alot of people including myself have trouble sliding their voices to the proper notes and it it because i'm just not using my voice loud enough?

Guest authenticxl0ve

im sure someone prob post this question before but i cant find it so im posting it again..

whats a good program to use for recording? =)

Guest hmaster

absolute bs, there's three programs mentioned on page seven, and that's the one before this page. which is eight.

go look again.

Guest babiixru

absolute bs, there's three programs mentioned on page seven, and that's the one before this page. which is eight.

go look again.

lol, it's true <_<-_-

I'm not sure if this question was asked before, but does the quality of your mic affect the way you voice sounds when you play it back? If so, what is a good mic?

yea does it? coz i sound different when recorded..like squeakier and stuffiers and me singing as im hearing..or is it meant to be like that..