[Drama 2023] A Secret Woman / Woman in the Veil - 비밀의 여자 - Mon to Fri @ 7:50 KST

0ly40

On 7/16/2023 at 7:07 AM, maribella said:

There are still 30 plus episodes left. I think the Cain and Abel story will continue for many more episodes. TY will probably need to wait till episode 100 before he finds his father. His uncle will know his indentity first.

There's only at most 14 episodes left (today will be Episode 90) as it is scheduled to be 103-episodes long if they extend by a few more episodes so that it will end on a Friday (August 4), instead of Tuesday. 

Episode 88 is quite interesting as it shows the Honorary Chairman not dead yet (he's in coma) while the real Jo Ae Ra was captured by the fake one. Somehow, Team Good Guys also found out about fake Jo Ae Ra leaking the news of the grandfather's hospitalisation to the press and used this to hopefully kick her out of YJ Group.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

2 hours ago, Newbie21SG said:

There's only at most 14 episodes left (today will be Episode 90) as it is scheduled to be 103-episodes long if they extend by a few more episodes so tha

I thought this has 122 episodes. Got it mixed with the other one. The poll has one invalid question. 'Sigh'

JAR's accomplice's day of reckoning is coming. I have seen him as an accomplice in another show. He looks like a high school boy. They should have changed his hairstyle, or put him in more casual clothes for a CEO with an attitude.

2 hours ago, Newbie21SG said:

of the grandfather's hospitalisation to the press and used this to hopefully kick her out of YJ Group.

She deserves more than being kicked out.

@Chickpea I hope they keep SR dead, the body swap has outlived its uses. 
The FL is a boring doormat in any package. I am looking at the storyline rather than a strong main couple.

The episodes are now about unveiling and letting the cat of the bag. 

@Lmangla I thought the writer would keep those two together. The Second Husband kept a nasty woman turned fluff head with the baker boy. JYJ had her on speed dial with a cutesy name. Of course, with kdrama, anything can happen.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, maribella said:

@Lmangla I thought the writer would keep those two together. The Second Husband kept a nasty woman turned fluff head with the baker boy. JYJ had her on speed dial with a cutesy name. Of course, with kdrama, anything can happen.

yea, when I was thinking about these bad pairings, what I could vaguely remember was that there was no murder. at least the writer here seems to think that murder is too much of a jump for lovers to get through. uncle and burger lady actually liked each other and it wasn't because they ran out of options like some of the silly fellas in other dramas. but even burger lady said that she will not date uncle because of the bad blood between the two families when serin thought GW's dad had murdered the sister. even when uncle believed it was another culprit, burger lady kept firm because of serin's bad antics. thats why I feel the lawyer brother and dimwit may not end up together only because of the writing style. the writer at least seems to have a sense of boundaries and characters who actually say these past misgivings are not something we can ignore. lets see. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lmangla said:

yea, when I was thinking about these bad pairings, what I could vaguely remember was that there was no murder. at least the writer here seems to think that murder is too much of a jump for lovers to get through. uncle and burger lady actually liked each other and it wasn't because they ran out of options like some of the silly fellas in other dramas. but even burger lady said that she will not date uncle because of the bad blood between the two families when serin thought GW's dad had murdered the sister. even when uncle believed it was another culprit, burger lady kept firm because of serin's bad antics. thats why I feel the lawyer brother and dimwit may not end up together only because of the writing style. the writer at least seems to have a sense of boundaries and characters who actually say these past misgivings are not something we can ignore. lets see. 

Greetings,  Chingu.  I had to LOL.  No murder?  The writer has boundaries?  Sorry.  Bar owner's brother murdered, SY murdered, Mr. Jung murdered, SR murdered and I believe Secretary will end up dead too.  Attempted murders:  GU two or was it three times?  Grandpa.  If real JAR doesn't stay put quietly I guarantee the truck of doom will be coming for her.  And since both HY and YS are behind multiple murders I think part of the upcoming drama will be which one kills the other first.  Boundaries?  This drama is full of lying, deception,  murder, attempted murder, fratricide, patricide, rape, theft, grudges.  Even the soul's natural boundary of the body have been obliterated by writer-nim in this drama.  If anything, it seems to me writer-nim is determined to see how many boundaries can be obliterated which--Chingu Maribella--may mean even the boundary of death is overcome and, in fact, SR does return in the end...

I said this before, don't know if it's what writer-nim is thinking but this drama may be about once you enter metaphysics you're in the realm of angels and demons and this drama has been about few angels and many demons....

Ep. 90 no subs ending.  Okay, IT IS ON!  Two king cobras ready to go at it.  Buckle up  chingu!

• LOL 3

3 hours ago, Chickpea said:

Greetings,  Chingu.  I had to LOL.  No murder?  The writer has boundaries?  Sorry.  Bar owner's brother murdered, SY murdered, Mr. Jung murdered, SR murdered and I believe Secretary will end up dead too.  Attempted murders:  GU two or was it three times?  Grandpa.  If real JAR doesn't stay put quietly I guarantee the truck of doom will be coming for her.  And since both HY and YS are behind multiple murders I think part of the upcoming drama will be which one kills the other first.  Boundaries?  This drama is full of lying, deception,  murder, attempted murder, fratricide, patricide, rape, theft, grudges.  Even the soul's natural boundary of the body have been obliterated by writer-nim in this drama.  If anything, it seems to me writer-nim is determined to see how many boundaries can be obliterated which--Chingu Maribella--may mean even the boundary of death is overcome and, in fact, SR does return in the end...

I said this before, don't know if it's what writer-nim is thinking but this drama may be about once you enter metaphysics you're in the realm of angels and demons and this drama has been about few angels and many demons....

Ep. 90 no subs ending.  Okay, IT IS ON!  Two king cobras ready to go at it.  Buckle up  chingu!

bwsahahaha... I meant boundaries for love. lets hope we don't have this scenario where lawyer brother tells dimwit, "I totally don't care that your father killed my father. after all, you are you and I am me." ^_^

I wonder who will win this fight between the two baddies? am placing my bets on the old man! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Blob 1

6 hours ago, Chickpea said:

said this before, don't know if it's what writer-nim is thinking but this drama may be about once you enter metaphysics you're in the realm of angels and demons and this drama has been about few angels and many demons....

And all in a day's work of daily kdrama writers. :hahah!:

Now that you've enumerated it @Chickpea  I wonder what the writer dd before preparing the script. Maybe ' Now, I must have murder, infidelity ......' 

Let's see really, if there will be other couples besides GU-SR and TY at the end. I really think the lawyer and the air-head will end up together.

Long time ago, there was a show that ended up with two brothers swapping wives, and in the process causing a lot of pain and hurt. I was thinking  what would happen when they had their reunions. Kdramas. :smirk:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

8 hours ago, Chickpea said:

Just Got done watching Ep 90 Hats of to AR she has  to be one of the smartest villain of the drama it should be call Ar in Veil, it take AR half way through the show to figure out the phone in the desk and the Scoby Gang still chasing after the CCTV to get the evidence  and AR goon some how got it I thought her revenge  goal was to bring down the NAM but they seem to be still  walking around she all this evidence to bring them down put them in Jail one by one but she still stay with them and im surprise YJ is still around i thought she hate him and now she put herself in danger by blackmailing  YJ dad who is a killer himself.i guess we have to wait for last episode when YJ and his dad to pay for their crime i predict YJ is going to die and his dad going  to jail and AR is going to die of a terrible illness or go to jail or end up going crazy and end up dying in the sanitarium and the wife and sister leave Korea and live abord and TY will find out he is a NAM.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Greetings,  Chingu

Still haven't watched 90 with subs but you all have such interesting comments on who ends up with whom.  So I figured I'd opine...  I'm not sure lawyer and dimwit get together because I think GU-SR and TY are the couple of the drama.  And we all assume, at this point, JS is TY's father.  That links the Ohs (SR) and the Seos which is how they were living anyway and the Nams (JS) and the Seos (TY).  If lawyer and dimwit become a couple, the Nams-Jungs-Seos will be forever shackled together and this sounds like Hades.  It seems like JS and TY's mom will shortly meet.  If Grandpa dies, TY's mom has the heart to take care of JS but I don't think Grandpa will die.  I think he will resurrect to take down his son as only a father and CEO can do.  Also,  he has always tried to do the right thing in this drama.   He deserves to know about TY and that JS will be loved and cared for in the future.  I think JAR will take down YJ herself, revealing his part in the deaths of the Oh sisters and embezzling from YJ Group.  He'll go to jail for a very long time.  No doubt in my mind YS dies.  He has no redeeming qualities.  Karma is coming for him.  JAR is hard.  She has done lots of evil things but not for greed, like YS, for justice, at least in her mind.  Technically I can't remember JAR ever actually taking a life.  She covered up murders committed by others and twice was stopped by nurses from committing murder in hospitals.  Like I said, this story,  for me anyway, is about angels and demons.  TY, GU, TYs mom, JS, SY and HY before her wicked uncle put her on the path of revenge listen to their better angels.  HY-to-JAR is like a fallen angel.   When she entered the path of taking justice into her own hands, not by revealing the truth (like GU) but by taking revenge, she made herself "like unto God" and was cast into Hell with the Nam's--YJs mom (vanity), YJs sister (sloth), YJ (greed, cowardice, pride, infidelity) and the head demon himself who is apparently unrestricted by the bounds of morality or civility.  Not to mention all the shady characters she's gotten into bed with to carry out her revenge.  The fact that YS has a kind of cherubic face and was passive and unassuming through 90 percent of the drama only to be revealed as the source of evil at the end is exactly how evil operates.  The wolf sheds the sheep's clothing just as he's about to pounce on his prey.  You can see why JS left home, escaped Hell.  I don't know enough about Grandpa to figure out where he fits in this.  There's a moral saying... you either make a choice or one will be made for you.  If Grandpa put his company before his family, he made that choice and a different choice was made for his family...  So what about redemption?  These dramas are always about redemption.  Can dimwit be redeemed?  Yes.  Lawyer's virtues counter her vices.  Can YJ be redeemed?  Yes, by losing everything he coveted and lots of time to reflect.  Can YJs mom be redeemed?  Yes, when the truth of who her husband is has been revealed.   Can Grandpa be redeemed?  Yes, by acknowledging his parental failures and taking responsibility.   Can JAR be redeemed?  I think so when she comes to the realization that her calculations regarding Grandpa and her mother's death were wrong all along and perhaps with the realization that she has a sister.  Can YS be redeemed?  I don't think so.  That's above my pay grade...  take care, chingu.

• Like 2

On 7/15/2023 at 7:07 PM, maribella said:

The twist is TY is a Nam. 

We have GW and family looking for father's killer, JAR manipulating to avenge her mother but SRi s dead, therefore the  stories of the 3 women are now cut to 2. Both storylines converge on one man whose lines in the last 80 episodes were mostly 'let's eat'.  . Now he has tried to kill his father. 

There are still 30 plus episodes left. I think the Cain and Abel story will continue for many more episodes. TY will probably need to wait till episode 100 before he finds his father. His uncle will know his indentity first.

ok time for a poll.

Oh right, so it could be this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chickpea said:

along and perhaps with the realization that she has a sister.  Can YS be redeemed?  I don't think so.  That's

She was already 8-9 when the mother died. So she must know she had a sister. 

Who is her sistet? The real AR?

This show reminds me of Reborn rich. For 90 % of the show we watched and cheered the youngest grandson of a chaebol, then he was killed and the employee who had died came alive. WTH!!

Now we get the father to be the original criminal :rage: and the original criminal JAR is not really evil because of a mistaken identity. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, maribella said:

This show reminds me of Reborn rich. For 90 % of the show we watched and cheered the youngest grandson of a chaebol, then he was killed and the employee who had died came alive. WTH!!

Now we get the father to be the original criminal :rage: and the original criminal JAR is not really evil because of a mistaken identity. 

one thing I appreciate about the writer is that all these twists seem to have been planned from the onset. for example, I do remember the scene when GW's father came to YJ's father in the office. so all those scenes were filmed then and are not being added to the drama now. so the writer isn't randomly writing these twists in.

that said, we spent way too much time with aera and GW. so it would have been nice to have the other villains pop up much earlier. I am bored with GW. I want serin back. for that time, those episodes were fun. 

• Blob 3

3 hours ago, Lmangla said:

one thing I appreciate about the writer is that all these twists seem to have been planned from the onset. for example, I do remember the scene when GW's father

They are following the storyline because it works with the viewers. The rating is better than many others esp Meant to be. I remember at times when the story of a show did not make head or tail after the ratings were bad. In MIAV, TP was encouraging the FL to go for revenge, and when she was clearly succeeding, he turned round and bugged her about how terrible it was to be vengeful!! 

The sudden revelation that YS was the root of all the problem had to be written in the original storyline because all other parts are built on it. But I still don't like it, he was hardly in the picture when GU's father was killed,  at least give the viewer a hint through out. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, maribella said:

Good morning,  chingu.  You have a good point and a difference.   In Reborn Rich, there isn't exactly a soul switch but a reincarnation.  Grandson is dead but the employee who facilitated his murder becomes reincarnated as him to both reveal the murderer and become the catalyst for the boy's murder.  If no reincarnated grandson with knowledge of future events, the grandson probably would have been no different from musician bro, not a threat and so never murdered.  The reincarnation leads to grandson's murder.

In this dra-mess, there's a soul switch while both characters are still alive, for no apparent reason, then because one dies the other is forever trapped in a prison of someone else's body.  Technically,  GU has to live as SR.  She may be GU to family but no one outside,  the state, thinks she's GU.  To them, she's SR because GU died.  Real JAR told fake JAR she found her real sister.  I still think GU is/was HY's biological sister, and she had a part in her sister's death.  Is HY/JAR evil?  That's a good question.  What "evil" deeds has she done?  Switching identities with JAR because both wanted to avoid creditors, is this evil?  Working as a hostess in a bar to pay off real JARs debt, is this evil?  Remaining silent after being a witness to a murder,  is this evil?  Wanting revenge for her mother's wrongful death, is this evil?  I didn't see how SY died, only that HY tried to hide her body.   Is hiding a corpse evil?  Betraying her friend who was in a loveless marriage to become mistress of YJ Group, is this evil?  Drugging GU so she becomes infertile only to have GU become both pregnant and blind.  Is this evil?  She drugs Grandpa but YS takes him out before the drug has any real effect on him.  She tries to send HN to an orphanage but the girl ends up with her mother in another body and her biological cousin (TY) and aunt.  You get my point.  At every turn when HY could have done truly evil things, like commit actual murder, she was stopped and some good comes out of the evil she attempted to do.  She's been the least effective "evil" person in the drama.  It's as if HYs good angel is working overtime and this may be why the soul switch was necessary.  GU had no power and no backbone.  SR had money, ie power, and backbone but she was too emotionally unstable.  The soul switch keeps the tension between GU and HY going but gives GU power and backbone, she has money, education, her family and she's free of the Nams to take on fake JAR mano-a-mano or whatever the female equivalent is.  So, it's not that fake JAR is not really evil because of a mistaken identity, she's not really evil because she's not good at it, meaning she's not evil at heart and because some force,  some power, seems to intervene at every opportunity to keep it so.  Cheers.

• Insightful 1
  • Blob 1

So, looks like the Chairman's secret is being found out tomorrow, and understandably so with only 12 episodes left at most after today. 

Jo Ae Ra and the Chairman are also tussling with each other, after JAR found out about him being home during the time the Honorary Chairman went unconscious. So, JAR does not have to go to Daegu as planned earlier. 

• Like 1

@Chickpea when I said Reborn rich and this show have the 'switch', I was referring to the sudden disjointed storylines. Then it was a few flashbacks to show how bad YS was. Likewise, the Reborn rich show has a disjointed storyline, the dead employee was saved after falling off a cliff and was in coma for a few weeks, while the titular character lived for 10 years(?) and the viewers were just cheering for him. What a crappy thing to do to kill him. In Miss M the husband of the big collar woman was the evil 'puppet master'. It was ok because he was from the evil family.  Unsurprising.

I think AR is thoroughly evil. The fact that she was unsuccessful does not change the intent in her actions and deeds - many evil attempts. A less evil person would feel guilty after a few unsuccessful attempts. Nothing is more evil than to separate a child from her mother, not once but twice. It was HN's good luck that prevented her from being shipped out of Korea. I hope she gets killed in a most horrible way. The real AR said she should weep blood at the end, I hope the writer means it. 

Now she's managed to blackmail YS. The higher she rises, the harder will she fall.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, maribella said:

@Chickpea when I said Reborn rich and this show have the 'switch', I was referring to the sudden disjointed storylines. Then it was a few flashbacks to show how bad YS was. Likewise, the Reborn rich show has a disjointed storyline, the dead employee was saved after falling off a cliff and was in coma for a few weeks, while the titular character lived for 10 years(?) and the viewers were just cheering for him. What a crappy thing to do to kill him. In Miss M the husband of the big collar woman was the evil 'puppet master'. It was ok because he was from the evil family.  Unsurprising.

I think AR is thoroughly evil. The fact that she was unsuccessful does not change the intent in her actions and deeds - many evil attempts. A less evil person would feel guilty after a few unsuccessful attempts. Nothing is more evil than to separate a child from her mother, not once but twice. It was HN's good luck that prevented her from being shipped out of Korea. I hope she gets killed in a most horrible way. The real AR said she should weep blood at the end, I hope the writer means it. 

Now she's managed to blackmail YS. The higher she rises, the harder will she fall.

Greetings.   I get your point.  To me it looks like the harder JAR tries to do evil the more she ends up either cleaning up someone else's evil or creating a situation that brings good out of evil.  Can you imagine HN if she had been raised by the Nams instead of the Seos?  She'd be another dimwit or something closer to the fake child fake JAR brought home...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, maribella said:

They are following the storyline because it works with the viewers. The rating is better than many others esp Meant to be. I remember at times when the story of a show did not make head or tail after the ratings were bad. In MIAV, TP was encouraging the FL to go for revenge, and when she was clearly succeeding, he turned round and bugged her about how terrible it was to be vengeful!! 

The sudden revelation that YS was the root of all the problem had to be written in the original storyline because all other parts are built on it. But I still don't like it, he was hardly in the picture when GU's father was killed,  at least give the viewer a hint through out. 

I personally don't think this show being better than the others As you are comparing two different networks. Historically, at least for the last eight years MBC have the same numbers for their daily's. KBS have the same numbers for their two daily drama with the 120 epi dramas always being higher. This drama ratings are slightly lower then the norm but still fits in the historical pattern. The fact that it is still lower indicates that even the ahjummas that habitual watch have chose their battles which led to a overall decrease  from then till now with a little highs in between. So, is it really working for the viewers? I will just say that this show has not been holding their audience before aa times past. As a reference, drama addict wiki keeps accurate ratings data going back decades. This drama is consistently between between 9-11 ratings wise. The audience feedback is reflective of their ratings.

Vengeance of the Brde lowest rating was a 11.9 & that was 1x only. Highest rating was 17. Most of their ratings ranged between 12.5 - 15.6.

• Like 4