[Drama 2022] Pachinko, 파친코 - Lee Min Ho, Youn Yuh Jung, Jin Ha, Anna Sawai, Minha Kim, Soji Arai, Kaho Minami - Streaming on Apple TV+ | Season 1 & 2

syntyche

I have just watched a YouTube “an hour with Min Jin Lee” which was an interview done a few months ago in Singapore. The interviewer mentioned that Apple TV were doing an adaptation and the author said she had no involvement at all- in fact she has a lot of fear about it and if it will depart from the book. It is about 8 minutes into the interview when she says about it. I had assumed that she might be involved to some degree but apparently not.

As a side note she is really interesting to listen to.

• Like 5

@Lindyloo421, yes, there have been talks before that she wasn't involved in the adaptation of her novel. We also had a sense that it will depart from the book, as implied by the announcement of characters that were not in the novel. Incidentally, here is a new interview of her saying how distressing it is for her art/novel to be considered as a commodity. Hmm. 

‘Maybe you and I can share a little bit of a world together’: Min Jin Lee on creating her world

spacer.png

“My sense of outrage is triggered again and again and again right now… I wrote this book as an act of activism,” Min Jin Lee said of her decision to write Pachinko. (Photo courtesy of Min Jin Lee.)

The summer before my senior year, I picked up National Book Award finalist Min Jin Lee’s Pachinko, a 500-page epic tracing four generations of a Korean family through time and space, and discovered that I could not put it back down again. Attending an intensive creative writing summer camp at the time, I devoured the carefully constructed narrative in between classes, activities, and assignments, savoring every chapter like it was a heartwarming bite of the protagonist Sunja’s homemade kimchi.

Looking back, I cannot begin to separate my writing that summer from my experience reading Pachinko. The mark that both Pachinko and Lee’s debut novel Free Food for Millionaires have left on my relationship to storytelling runs bone-deep. So when I answered a call from an unknown number on May 6, my stomach was a knotted mess of nerves and excitement as Lee’s voice sounded from the speakers.

My interview with Lee came just minutes after she joined Chair of Asian Studies and Professor of Political Science Sam Crane for a conversation and audience Q&A. Throughout the night, Lee spoke with great deliberation and good-natured humor about her relationship to activism, her approach to writing, and her take on the value and commodification of art.

Lee began her conversation with Crane by reading “Breaking My Own Silence,” an essay on her belief in the power of speech published in The New York Times. 

Spoiler

Born in Seoul, South Korea, Lee migrated to Elmhurst, Queens in New York City when she was 7. At that time, neither she nor her two sisters were able to speak English. She would spend the next couple decades learning the art of speech, still learning even as she graduated from Yale College and enrolled at Georgetown Law. 

Lee later elaborated in conversation with Crane that the moment she first connected language and power was in a much more personal setting than the classroom. When Lee was in high school, The Korea Times, the oldest English-language daily publication in South Korea, solicited and published a short essay she wrote about being unable to speak Korean. Her father cut the article out of the newspaper and pasted the clipping up on the wall of his cramped jewelry store.

“I do remember … thinking, ‘Oh, my father’s paying attention to what I’m doing. That’s kind of wild,’” Lee said. “It wasn’t that he wasn’t paying attention, but he thought it was important because this media outlet thought it was important, and I think he was proud of me.”

The seeds of thinking of language as power were planted. A few years later, Lee was reminded of this idea during a nearly empty lecture about the ongoing discrimination against ethnic Koreans in Japan. “I was so shaken by what I heard in this talk that I couldn’t quite figure out: What am I going to do with this knowledge of oppression?” Lee said.

According to Lee, she hadn’t even planned to attend the lecture in the first place. She only agreed to go because she was unable to say no to the person who invited her. Though she was one of only two students in attendance, this accidental moment in her college experience laid the foundation for Pachinko.

“I didn’t know what to do with this story of hate, and … when I think about today, when I think about all these hate incidents against Asians and Asian Americans — it’s so horrible because they’re so completely the same,” Lee said. “My sense of outrage is triggered again and again and again right now… I wrote this book as an act of activism.

Racism was not the only structure of power that Lee addressed in Pachinko. She also explored other themes of resistance and survival through a lens of gender. “The people who are enforcing systems of power against other groups that have less power are often people who aren’t that powerful,” she said. “That’s what’s interesting — it’s not like you have the king saying, ‘Don’t do this.’ Very often, it’s your father-in-law who says, ‘Don’t do this.’”

To illustrate her point, Lee pointed to the character of Yoseb, Sunja’s stubborn brother-in-law who attempts to enforce patriarchal gender roles — such as the male breadwinner and the domestic female — despite the family’s dire financial situation. Yet, for Lee, these values do not necessarily make Yoseb an evil person.

“I think he really, really meant well, and if he believed in the values of patriarchy, he was just a product of his time,” Lee said. “Very often, we take our values of the 21st century and impose it on people from the 19th century or the 20th century, and I think in some way, it’s not fair.”

For Lee, when dealing with such sensitive and complex issues, it was important to be sympathetic — beyond that, it was important to tell the stories of real people. In fact, Pachinko did not begin as a work of fiction, but rather as a project of academic scholarship.

“Essentially, it is an epic saga, it is a historical novel, and that’s where you would put it in terms of a literary understanding,” she said. “But it’s also a book that encompasses a lot of disciplinary field[s]: It’s got history, economics, law, anthropology, sociology, and that’s very intentional — I looked at those fields first before thinking about fiction.”

In an interview with Writer’s Digest, Lee spoke about her unique (or “really weird,” as she would later describe it as to me) writing process, which includes formulating broad questions about a topic and then conducting hundreds of interviews. As an aspiring writer and journalist myself, I was fascinated by the journalistic style of her research, which, according to Lee, was important for the development of her narrative omniscient voice.

“One of the things that I really like to convey is how much I love people and how much I accept people, and that’s a very important thing because I write in the omniscient voice,” she told me. “So there is a narrator who knows beginning, middle, and an end and can read minds. Like — that is me; I’m actually the omniscient narrator, which means that I must love all of my characters. So when I interview people, I try very hard to accept people for who they are.”

Spoiler

In order to accept both her characters and the people they are based upon, Lee told me that she must fully understand the essence of her interviewees. “Who you are versus who you wish you [were] are different people sometimes — for the most of us,” she elaborated. “So I try to see both people, and then I try to see all the people behind them. And by that, I mean I try to understand your parents, your ancestors, your siblings, your regional identification, and that helps me to kind of get a 360 overview of you.”

In the process of constructing the lives of the everyday people of history, Lee would read and listen to various stories of pain, fear, and suffering. Her research included topics such as war crimes and the Japanese occupation of Korea. At times, she said, this work became depressing.

“I had to stop because I couldn’t take it, and then I had to focus on something else,” Lee said. “So you have to go deep, but you can’t go so deep that you can’t recover because we’re human. And part of my gift is empathy, … and I used to think when I was a kid, ‘That’s weird, and there’s something wrong with me because why do I feel so much?’ But now I realize that, ‘Oh, no, actually it’s my superpower.’ But because I can do it, and I do do it so much, I have to be careful how I use my powers because I can get really depressed. I can get really anxious. I can get really troubled.”

In the face of feeling overwhelmed with negative emotion, Lee said that the most important thing to do is to rest and to be honest. However, she harbored an intense dislike of the phrase “self-care.”

“I think the intention behind self-care is probably incredibly important and moving and beautiful and helpful,” Lee said. “We take this notion of preserving oneself from the ravages of a neoliberal capitalist system, because that’s what it really comes down to.… But will bubble baths and pedicures and pictures of cats save us? No, I don’t think so.”

Another sentiment that Lee said she struggled with upon the publication of her novels related to the paradox of art as a commodity. “I find now the exploitation of my ideas to be deeply distressing,” she said. “That’s weird when the thing that I created out of love is seen as a commodity. That’s weird to me because I never intended that to be a commodity. It is obviously a commodity, but that’s not how I began it.”

According to Lee, what is even more important to her than the royalties she receives is the time that readers invest into her novels. “People think, ‘Oh, you wrote this book for money.’ I mean, I gotta tell you, that is a joke because when I sell a novel, I make about $1.12,” she said. “But what I do get, if you finished my novel, is — I got 16 to 18 hours of your time and attention. I got you to think about things that were really important to me, and maybe they’re important to you, and maybe you and I can share a little bit of a world together.”

The advice Lee would give to aspiring writers is intrinsically linked to how she values her own writing. “The most important thing is reading and then writing,” she said, pointing to articles she has written over the years about this same topic. “But writing without reading makes no sense… I have read so much writing; I have done so much judging, and I’ve never seen a great writer who doesn’t read. So whatever your background is [it’s important] to read widely, to read deeply, to be thoughtful about reading, and also to keep writing terrible things, … stuff that makes you embarrassed. And most importantly, ask yourself what you want to say.”

At the end of our talk, Lee told me that it was her pleasure to speak with me. And then she thanked me. Days later, I hope that she understood when I rushed to correct her — that it was, in fact, my pleasure to have the opportunity to speak with her, an Asian American novelist who researched like a journalist; wrote unabashedly about real people and real stories; and spoke with compassion, humility, and grace.

https://williamsrecord.com/457320/arts/maybe-you-and-i-can-share-a-little-bit-of-a-world-together-min-jin-lee-on-creating-her-world/

Hollywood debut - here are 9 facts about Lee Min Ho's role in the drama Pachinko

Some time ago, Lee Min Ho has finished filming for his new drama titled Pachinko . The acting comeback from the Korean drama star of the hit, "Boys Over Flowers" is highly anticipated. Moreover, Pachinko will mark Lee Min Ho's debut in the Hollywood acting industry.

For those of you who are looking forward to the release, here are 9 facts about Lee Min Ho's role in the drama Pachinko.

1. Lee Min Ho's role in the drama Pachinko is a merchant named Hansu. This announcement was made by his agency at the end of 2020

spacer.png

2. As well as being a rich merchant, Hansu is known as a powerful figure and is connected to a criminal organization called the Yakuza

3. Full of struggles, Lee Min Ho admitted that he went through the casting process with careful preparation

spacer.png

4. Lee Min Ho was also worried about the possibility that he might not pass the casting

5. This drama will be Lee Min Ho's debut in Hollywood, as well as the actor's acting comeback after starring in The King: Eternal Monarch

6. Ready to air on Apple TV +, Pachinko is a drama adapted from a novel of the same name by Min Jin Lee

7. Because the story is about a Korean immigrant family that spread to Japan and America, Lee Min Ho also had to work with a number of foreign artists

8. In this drama, Lee Min Ho will meet again with Jung Eun Chae

9. In order to minimize the spread of COVID-19, Lee Min Ho's agency asked fans not to send gifts while the actor was in the shooting process

Debuting in a wider scope of Hollywood certainly puts enormous pressure on Lee Min Ho. Even so, he did his best to be able to complete the challenge well. Always wish you success Lee Min Ho!

https://www.idntimes.com/hype/entertainment/muna-waroh/fakta-peran-lee-min-hoo-di-pachinko-c1c2/9

• Like 6

spacer.png

"Fast and Furious: The Ultimate," which was released in Korea on the 19th for the first time in the world, surpassed 400,000 on the first day of its release, marking the highest opening since COVID 19, drawing keen attention to the ninth story of the series. Especially, I can meet new faces in this movie.

Anna Sawai is an actor who has a long history with Korea. She appears as a figure Han should protect in "Fast & Furious 9" and plays the key to the incident. She worked with Korean-American actor Sung Kang and Rain (Jung Ji-hoon) in "Ninja Assassin," which was released in 2009. She also delivers spectacular action scenes in the ninth installment of "Fast & Furious".

She also raises expectations as she joins as Naomi in Apple TV+' "Pachinko," starring Lee Min-ho and Yoon Yeo-jung, who won the 93rd U.S. Academy Awards for " Minari". We are looking forward to whether Anna Sawai, who made her face known to the local audience with "Fast and the Furious," will be able to connect with Korean fans in " Pachinko.".

http://www.slist.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=252688

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

Anna Sawai of "The Fast and the Furious 9" stars with Lee Min Ho in the new American drama "Pachinko"

spacer.png

Hollywood's new movie "F9," the latest installment of "The Fast and the Furious" franchise was recently released in Hong Kong.

A new female character "Elle" is introduced, played by the Japanese and New Zealand mixed actress Anna Sawai. It turns out that she grew up in Hong Kong and the Philippines when she was a child, and did not move to Japan until the age of 10. 

In October last year, Anna Sawai was announced to be appearing in the Apple TV+ American drama "Pachinko", playing the role of Naomi, a strong woman in the financial industry. She stars along with South Korean male god Lee Min Ho. The drama, which is expected to start broadcasting in the second half of this year, has a total of 8 episodes and was filmed in Japan, South Korea, and the United States.

https://www.orientalsunday.hk/%e6%9c%80%e6%96%b0%e5%a8%9b%e8%81%9e/%e6%be%a4%e4%ba%95%e6%9d%8f%e5%a5%88-anna-sawai-f9%e7%8b%82%e9%87%8e%e6%99%82%e9%80%9f-%e6%9d%8e%e6%95%8f%e9%8e%ac-plt-438166/2/

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

How Oscar-winning Korean actress Youn Yuh-jung had to start from scratch in the US shooting Minari

At the age of 73, best supporting actress Oscar winner Youn Yuh-jung is a legend in her native South Korea. But working on acclaimed American film Minari meant starting over

This would not have happened in Korea, she thought. For one, she wouldn’t have been scheduled at 10am on the first day of a movie shoot only to be kept waiting. Imagine keeping Meryl Streep baking in the Oklahoma heat for four to five hours in the middle of July. But the force field of celebrity was gone. Here in the Ozarks, she was not Youn Yuh-jung, the 73-year-old actress with a career spanning more than half a century. On the set of Minari, she was an old Korean lady. “A Far East nobody,” she tells me, taking a long drag from a slim white e-cigarette. As in a classic American tale, she would have to start from scratch.

The new millennium has brought a renaissance for Youn: a run of seven consecutive films with Im Sang-soo, among them a 2010 remake of The Housemaid; a star turn as an ageing sex worker in The Bacchus Lady; multiple films with Hong Sang-soo, including, alongside Isabelle Huppert, In Another Country (2012); and a part in Apple TV’s upcoming adaptation of Pachinko.

spacer.png

https://www.scmp.com/magazines/post-magazine/arts-music/article/3134186/how-oscar-winning-korean-actress-youn-yuh-jung

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

EVENT: 50 Things You Learn From A Korean Drama

Have you ever tried to explain to your friends and family why you watch k-dramas? What is it that makes them so unique?

Chingus, now is your chance to help us compile a list of what you have learned from watching Korean dramas. :partyblob:

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @Lmangla @Sleepy Owl

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

1. Pachinko is a novel about the recent history of Korea. Will we see her by Lee Min Ho's hand?

May 25, 2021

Honorary Reporter Patricia Knopoff from Argentina

514847acefb04d73a467cd628c04d7b5

Source: DB Korea.net

Pachinko is a novel published in February 2017 by writer Min Jin Lee and is an epic tale of a Korean family who emigrated to Japan during the occupation of the peninsula.

Consideration

Pachinko introduces us to the newest history of Korea, hand in hand with four generations of the family. Sunja will become a common thread in this story, which begins shortly before her birth in a very poor area near Busan, in Korea, colonized by Japan. She will follow her husband to Japan, and from there will develop the misfortunes and misfortunes of a foreign country, from which they will see the split of their own homeland when Korea is divided into two countries at the end of World War II: Korea, North Korea and South Korea.

There is no one else from nowhere; not from the north, not from the south, not from Japan. They are simply Koreans who are struggling to maintain their customs and survive in a country that does not value them.

The novel is a pleasure to read, introducing us to Korean culture and the suffering of exile as the characters pass through love, resilience, disappointment and death.

Pachinko will be a great metaphor for the chance that life confronts us with, although there may be those who benefit from some kind of machine that is manipulated to avoid it.

Pachinko is Korea in Japan; it is a way out of suffering, it is hope, it is the cause of social rejection.

By Min Jin Lee

She was born in Seoul in 1968, and at the age of 7 she moved to New York with her family.
In her third year in college, she attended a literary seminar at Yale University. Talking about Japanese Koreans who emigrated during the colonial era gave her a basic idea that would later be embodied in this novel.

She graduated from the history department in 1990 and in 1996 decided to start writing about Koreans in Japan on a scholarship. In 2007, she moved to Tokyo with her husband and feeds on the reality of these first-person Japanese Koreans with whom she resumed writing the novel in 2008. This is why Min Jin Lee believes she has lived with her romance for almost 30 years.

What is Pachinko?

Pachinko is a game similar to pinball. Pachinko rooms appear in Japan after World War II.

The game consists of inserting balls that run through the machine and can win prizes, in the form of a large number of balls. These can be exchanged for gifts such as toys or cigarettes, although they are also usually exchanged for money in businesses near the rooms.

Most of these rooms are controlled by Koreans or descendants of Koreans.

Lee Min Ho will be starring in the series!

Actor Lee Min Ho will be taking Hansu's place in the making of this series.

It would be between 8 and 9 episodes and it is being recorded in Vancouver (Canada), where the actor arrived in March of this year and complied with strict security protocols in the framework of the Covid-19 pandemic.

We can also find Youn Yuh-Jung, the wonderful actress who won the Oscar for her performance in Minari. She will represent Sunja in her middle age.

They will surely do a great job!

Some phrases from the book.

“Poor Americans were as hungry as poor Russians and poor Chinese. In the name of the Emperor, even the Japanese suffered hardship. There was no doubt that the strong and cautious would survive this winter, but sad events happened often: children who went to bed so as not to get up, girls who sold their innocence for a plate of noodles, old people running to die alone, and this young people could eat ".

“He did not teach his children to hope, to believe in the possibly absurd possibility of victory. Pachinko was a stupid game, but life was not. "

“She knew as well as he did that after the partition of the peninsula, Koreans in Japan had to choose a side, which often affected their status of residence. It was still difficult for a Korean to become a citizen of Japan, and many considered it a shame for a Korean to try to become a citizen of their former oppressor.

When she told her friends in New York about this curious historical anomaly and widespread ethnic prejudice, they were incredulous at the thought that friendly and polite Japanese people might think of her as a criminal, lazy, slutty or aggressive: negative stereotypical traits. Koreans in Japan. "Well, everyone knows that Koreans don't get along with Japanese," his friends said innocently, as if they were equal.

"In Japan, you are either rich Korean or poor Korean, and if you are rich Korean, at some point in your past there was a pachinko hall."

Translation from spanish google

https://www.korea.net/TalkTalkKorea/Japanese/community/community/CMN0000007558?mode=

• Like 2

25 Must-Read Book Recommendations by Asian-American Writers

May is American and Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month, which celebrates and recognizes the great contribution of the AAPI community to the history, culture, and achievements of the United States. In honor of this historic month, consider reading one of the books below by Asian American writers, from classics including Amy Tan's beloved novel The Joy Luck Club, Ken Liu's award-winning collection of short stories The Paper Menagerie, to the release of the novel. more recently such as the novel by Avni Doshi released in 2020 Burnt Sugar, and Michelle Zauner's intimate memoir entitled Crying in H Mart. Let's take a look at the list below:

Lee Min Jin's Pachinko
Bookshop
15.63 dollars (225,072 rupiah)

"With the delivery of a very beautiful and touching story, Pachinko is a story concerning love, sacrifice, ambition, and loyalty. From bustling street markets to the best university halls in Japan to the pachinko parlor of the criminal world, Lee’s complex and vibrant character—strong, stubborn woman, devoted sister and man, father shaken by a moral crisis—survived and flourished against the indifferent arc of history."

spacer.png

https://harpersbazaar.co.id/articles/read/5/2021/15218/25-Rekomendasi-Buku-Yang-Harus-Dibaca-Karya-Penulis-Berdarah-Asia-Amerika

• Like 4

Introduction to 44 filming locations in Gyeongsangnam-do

South Gyeongsang Province introduced 44 filming locations for movies and dramas in the province so that tourists can make their own travel memories.

Hapcheon Video Theme Park, Korea's largest open set of periodicals set in the 1920s and 1980s, is where numerous movies and dramas, including the movie "Assassion (2015), were filmed. Apple's recent American drama "Pachinko" was filmed here and is set to air.

https://newsis.com/view/?id=NISX20210527_0001455250&cID=10812&pID=10800

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 1

Meet Heo Soo-jin, writer of Apple TV+ 'Pachinko'

spacer.png

It is expected that Korean writers will play a prominent role in the eight-part series "Pachinko" produced by Apple TV+. 

Based on a best-selling novel of the same title written by Korean-American author Lee Min-jin, "Pachinko" depicts Korean immigrant families traveling between Korea, Japan and the United States after the Japanese colonial era. "Pachinko" became a hot topic as it is expected that Korean and Japanese actors such as Lee Min-ho, Kim Min-ha, Anna Sawai, Soji Arai, and Minami Kaho will appear, and it is also the next film of actor Yoon Yo-jung.

According to Heo Soo-jin, the showrunner of Pachinko, the writers of Pachinko are composed of writers from various ethnic, economic, and historical backgrounds. "I think it is especially important to understand what Korea has experienced, so four out of seven writers, including myself, were Korean," she explained.

Jeong Han-sol, one of the Korean writers of "Pachinko," also said, "I have read "Please Take Care of Mom" by Nigerian American writer Shin Kyung-sook. I have read so many books, including the history of Korean-Japanese women, the confrontation between the U.S. and Japan in the 80s, and essay books by female businessmen in the 80s." "Pachinko," which finished filming in Korea and Canada, is currently on post-production and is preparing for Season 2, while editing Season 1.

More details on Hollywood's Korean screenwriters' work and collaboration with Korean filmmakers can be found in Cine 21 issue 1308.

http://www.cine21.com/news/view/?mag_id=97815&utm_source=naver&utm_medium=news

Pachinko has Season 2!

:wut::wut:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Syntyche for posting this article. What surprised me the most

is that SEVEN writers are involved. It really does pose the question how much of Lee Min Jim’s original story will remain, especially as this article says “based on” and not adapted from. Apple are obviously investing a lot of money in Pachinko and surely they would want LMH in both series. I am sure sales of the book increased world wide after it was announced he would be in it so Apple aren’t going to want to lose their main star who is so popular.

I am so excited to see him as Hansu ( and perhaps Noa?)

• Like 3
  • Awesome 2
  • Wiggle 1

Commemorative book "PACHINKO".

May 28, 2021

f0054260_09504796.jpg

The other day, during a trip to the hot springs ... A book, in which I immersed myself in reading.

"Pachinko" became a bestseller in the United States with a circulation of over 1 million copies.
This is also the "recommended book" of former President Obama!

A story of four generations of parents and children living as Koreans in Japan.

The story begins in Busan in 1910, we go to Japan, then to Osaka, Nagano, Yokohama ...

f0054260_09512238.jpg

A beautiful cover that catches your eye
The embroidery is kept at the National Museum of Japanese History in Korea.

Posted by Lee Min Jin, Korean American living in the United States.
From lawyer to writer.

She wrote the novel "PACHINKO".

He said that his life in Japan, where he spent four years, was the catalyst for the transfer of his Japanese-American husband.

Beautiful sentences reflecting the scene in the book as it is
I felt like I was watching a movie and I quickly made history.

I was impressed with how the main character, Sonja, goes out of his way to work on what's in front of him.
At a yakiniku restaurant in Tsuruhashi, Osaka, I live hard working on kimchi and side dishes.

Sonja's sons and grandchildren are worried about their identity,
With talent and effort, boldly make your way.

I was interested in the story of Solomon, the third generation in Japan.
After attending an exchange in Yokohama and graduating from a university in New York, he took a job at a foreign bank in Tokyo.
In an open environment, the suffering he will face in the future is painful.

f0054260_09520368.jpg

The reason it became a bestseller in the United States is probably because it is a country made up of immigrants.
There are many people in the world who live far from their country.

No one is the same in everything, and sometimes even a couple or relatives associated with blood cannot understand each other.
There should be nothing that would define a person. Looking at the book, I thought hard about my life, connected by blood, origin and nationality.

And this book attracted me not only with the story of the hardships of the main characters.
Everyone may face situations that make it difficult for him to live in his respective positions and situations.
It was a story that taught us the "guiding principles" of how people should behave.

It has been a long time since I got so carried away with reading.
After reading it, it seems to me that I lived with Sonja, and the lingering sound is still ...

I was curious to know PACHINKO when it was read by Mr. Miyu from the Korean cooking class.
Thank you for submitting an excellent book.

Translation from Japanese google

https://mimilani.exblog.jp/32295498/

• Like 4

15 Popular Books Which Came Alive On Screen With These OTT Series

Book adaptations are a must-watch whether it’s turned into a film or a TV/ OTT series. For the ones who always say ‘the book is better’, sometimes experiencing the screen adaptations becomes almost irresistible, even if it’s to criticise the work. Although, films try to package the vast subject in books in a few hours, TV series on the other hand gives space to the makers to do justice to the original work.

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

The novel written by the Korean-American author Min Jin Lee is a historical fiction which revolves around a Korean family who immigrate to Japan. The National Book Award winning novel is set in the 80’s and talks about subjects like racism, stereotypes, and power. The television series for Apple TV+ will star include Lee Min-ho in a pivotal role.

https://www.shethepeople.tv/film-theatre/popular-books-ott-series/

• Like 2

May Movie Star Brand Reputation Rankings Announced

spacer.png

The Korean Business Research Institute has revealed this month’s brand reputation rankings for film actors!

The rankings were determined through an analysis of the consumer participation, media coverage, interaction, and community awareness indexes of 50 popular movie stars, using big data collected from April 30 to May 30.

Youn Yuh Jung, who swept this year’s international awards circuit with her critically acclaimed performance in “Minari,” topped the list with a brand reputation index of 12,497,492 for May.

High-ranking phrases in the actress’s keyword analysis included “Minari,” “Oscar,” and “Best Supporting Actress award,” while her highest-ranking related terms included “award,” “thank,” and “congratulate.”

Check out the top 30 for this month below!

1. Youn Yuh Jung

https://www.soompi.com/article/1471954wpp/may-movie-star-brand-reputation-rankings-announced-2

• Like 1

Jung Woong-in on Quarantine after Pachinko's filming: "I cry at the thought of my daughters"

Jung Woong-in appeared in an MBC entertainment program and told the story of his recent self-isolation. He said, "I even shed tears because I missed my children," as he showed extraordinary affection for his three daughters. 

spacer.png

http://www.slist.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=257001

• Like 1

What's the keyword for the drama in the second half of 2021 #Seasonal #Actor #Webtoon #OTT

Apple TV+, which is about to be launched, is raising expectations with its founding work, 'Pachinko'. "Pachinko" depicts the life and identity of the fourth generation of Koreans who moved to Japan until the 1980s after liberation from Japanese colonial rule. Yoon Yo-jung, Lee Min-ho, and Jung Eun-chae finished filming in Canada.

http://sports.khan.co.kr/entertainment/sk_index.html?art_id=202106061518003&sec_id=540201&pt=nv

• Like 1