[Movie] Concrete Utopia, 콘크리트 유토피아 - Lee Byung Hun, Park Seo Joon, Park Bo Young

Ephoenix

August 22, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D-14 

Attendance - 51,392 people 

Accumulated - 2,901,405 people 

D2-E3-CEF6-CD4-D-41-C4-929-A-4-F23-D7-FD

Concrete Utopia inspiring such talented and dedicated people. Earlier, we saw that pen art, and now we have Concrete Utopia Diorama. It is amazing! 

• Like 2

August 24,2023 

CONGRATULATIONS CONCRETE UTOPIA FOR 3 MILLION ADMISSIONS!! :wub:

0000908948_001_20230824222601282.png?type=w430원본보

0001071141_002_20230824222801480.jpg?type=w430View Sour

"Concrete Utopia" surpassed 3 million admissions. 

Eurachacha!! Challenge for Imperial Palace Apartment Residents!! 

"Concrete Utopia" contains support for the audience who has sent explosive support!

The video released of the 'Challenge for Residents of the Imperial Palace Apartment' is drawing attention. This creates a pleasant laugh by the actors shouting the names of one of the numerous audiences using Young-tak's lines to raise the morale of the residents. 

It adds the beauty of finding one's name in the released video and gives the audience a special fun. Like this, "Eurachacha" contains the support that the main characters in the movie directly deliver to the residents of the Imperial Palace Apartment! "Concrete Utopia," which released the video of the "Challenge for Residents of the Imperial Palace Apartment," is creating a new box office sensation in the theater, receiving explosive responses from all generations with energy and strong lingering effects that overwhelm the audience.

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D - 16

#2 Overall movies 

Attendance: 49,387 people today

Cumulative audiences: 3,001,724 people

Lotte announced 3rd week stage greetings finally! Let’s hope for the continuous support and crowd in the theater for Concrete Utopia. Fighting, ConUzz!!!

Spoiler

71-AFE366-2287-4-EFF-B197-4-D2-EA516235-

• Awesome 1

This reminded me so much of the k-drama , "Happiness" with Park Hyung Sik who was also Park Bo Young's co-star on , "Strong Woman Do Bong Soon". Only in "Happiness" it dealt with zombies, but the humanity issues, morality, survival are the same. Desperation and all those etc.

Park Seo Joon also did well here as did Lee Byung Hun. There were some humor as well to counter the bitter, sad, dark moments in this.

Park Bo Young looked really rough ahah but then again understandable given their situation. No water, electricity, food source is scarce. Overall not a bad watch.

• Like 2

August 25, 2023 

'Concrete Utopia' surpasses 3 million viewers, becomes third Korean film this year to achieve feat. 

0000042568_001_20230825171401636.jpg?type=w430원본보기

Disaster film “Concrete Utopia” surpassed 3 million cumulative viewers as of Friday, distributor Lotte Entertainment said.

“Concrete Utopia” recorded this feat in 16 days after its release on Aug. 9, becoming the third domestically produced film after “The Roundup: No Way Out” and “Smugglers” to reach 3 million viewers

The film, starring Lee Byung-hun, Park Seo-jun and Park Bo-young in the lead roles, is about a group of survivors who gather at the fictional Imperial Palace Apartment, the only building that has stood intact after a huge earthquake has devastated most of Seoul.

Meanwhile, “Concrete Utopia” has been invited to the 48th Toronto International Film Festival and the 56th Sitges Film Festival and has also been chosen as Korea’s entry for the Best International Feature at next year’s Academy Awards.

Source: Here 

• Like 1

August 25, 2023

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D -17

PSJ in his witty handwritten message wrote, “I am thankful for 3M, but I would love 5M more. I ask for your continuous “Good” support.” :D 

I also loved Dir. Uhm Tae Hwa’s Wife’s message in her IG story asking audiences that they help reach Concrete Utopia 5,390,000 audiences to be exact, referring to the ‘Apartment” song number 539 that is used in the movie. Little trivia for the song… that song actually is in #539 in the karaoke playlist. These little detailing is just :wub:

AA6-FB540-C1-CB-493-A-8-F6-E-571-DE86-AD

3rd weekend stage greeting starts tomorrow and LBH would be present for Saturday only. Looks like everyone has been juggling between their schedules to promote hard for the movie. They are really working hard.

Director Uhm Tae Hwa has been promoting the movie continuously outside as well in news channel and talk shows. Not much new behind the scenes stories that he hasn’t shared already, but the roastings he had to deal from the older MCs was just too uncomfortable to watch. I am not sure why Korean MCs think being straight up rude to a guest they invited like that is okay and funny at this day and age. Trying to bait him to say things and cause him trouble in general. Like asking if LBH had a power tripping moment because of his seniority, did he scold PBY enough as a director because her character came off so frustrating, and things like how he felt about his box office failure for Vanishing time, even with an lead actor like KDW etc. I am glad Dir. Uhm stayed calm and confident in his answers throughout most of them, always smiling and promoting well. His personality is very likable and I am so happy LBH got to work with such creative genius like him. 

• Like 1

August 26, 2023

CONCRETE UTOPIA 3RD WEEKEND STAGE GREETINGS HIGHLIGHTS 

B6-B91417-9-A4-E-4-B36-90-F7-D4941-C93-C

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cwa-d9tt2Nb/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

LBH's greetings: "Hello, this is resident representative Lee Byung-hun. Actually, our stage greetings had ended last week, but since many people loved our movie, we had a sudden change of plans and scheduled our next stage greetings. This is our 3rd weekend stage greetings. It gives us enormous strength as we do our stage greetings and makes us feel proud to see you guys filling the theater like this even though it's been a while already. In the future, I am looking forward to see us meet you all suddenly like this for the 6th and even 8th week stage greetings."

(Yes, please!) 

Spoiler

73355-C68-D749-4-FE6-BC7-B-1-A6-CBFB6659

Some additional links of pics that Lotte shared 

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D-18 

#2 Overall movies 

Attendance today - 125,475 people 

Accumulated - 3,188,059 people 

So, they will reach 3.3M next. They are doing great maintaining their position and audience magnet power despite the enormous Atomic challenge. More power to Concrete Utopia, and to the hardworking CONUZz..Fighting! :wub:

Earlier, I saw an article headline saying, “In U.S., they had ‘Barbenheimer’. In South Korea, we have ‘Concrenheimer’… these journalists I swear. :D 

2-C7-FAC26-A726-4-B82-BB97-41318-B7-FCB3

• Awesome 1

August 27, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA HAS BEEN NOMINATED IN 8 CATEGORIES FOR THE UPCOMING BUIL FILM AWARDS 2023  

20230726-210156.jpg

Here are the nominations: 

• Best Film 
  • Best Director (Uhm Tae Hwa) 
  • Best Actor ( Lee Byung Hun) 
  • Best Supporting Actress (Kim Sun Young) 
  • Best Original Screenplay (Lee Shin Ji and Uhm Tae Hwa) 
  • Best Cinematography (Jo Hyung Rae) 
  • Best Music score (Kim Hae Won) 
  • Best Art/Technology (Artist Jo Hwa Sung) 

Good Luck to the team Concrete Utopia! :heart:

The award ceremony will be held on October 5, and will be broadcast live on Busan MBC and Naver. There’s also a voting which starts from August 30, for the Star Of The Year award. Source: naver 

Spoiler

D1-BF423-E-F262-4-CD7-8-C53-8-FA9-AEFE70

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D-19 

#2 Overall Movies 

Attendance - 111,432

Accumulated - 3,299,583 (so close!)

LBH did say in yesterday’s stage greeting that he’d love to greet the audiences for the nth week, but PSJ during the stage greetings today mentioned that this is more like a Thankful greetings now since it’s been a while the movie is released. He mentioned LBH who couldn’t be present there today because of his filming schedule, and conveyed thankful message on behalf of everyone who weren’t there today saying this might be their last stage greetings. Of course we would wish them to greet audience more but they are working really hard juggling from filming and other schedule to meeting everyone in this heat. I hope the movie continue to soar higher and be successful everywhere. Concrete Utopia, fighting!!!:wub:

BFE8-C49-C-F6-C4-406-B-A552-CE597-E95683

• Awesome 1

August  27, 2023

CONCRETE UTOPIA 3RD WEEK STAGE GREETINGS HIGHLIGHTS 

Absolutely loving their color code here. It looks so pretty! :wub:

A5311-AD4-B22-F-4-F35-A46-B-8-F2-FC57-BA

It really looks like the end of weekly stage greetings now until they decided otherwise. PSJ mentioned that it feels more like a thankful greetings because it’s been a while since CU has released in the theater. He expressed his gratefulness and conveyed thankful messages on behalf of the casts for loving and supporting the movie. It’s a bittersweet feeling but lets hope for the best for Concrete Utopia and for the entire Con Uzz.:heart:

More pics from Lotte 

• Like 1

August 28, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D- 20 

#2 Overall Movies 

Attendance: 38,096 people 

Accumulated:  3,337,722 people

488-B622-C-663-A-4486-B0-A4-F047-DFEC5-F

More than 3.29 million, 'Concrete Utopia' also exceeds the break-even point.[Box Office]

20230726-210156.jpg

'Concrete Utopia' is about to break through its break even point. 

According to the Korea Film Council's integrated computer network tally on August 28, the movie "Concrete Utopia" (director Um Tae-hwa) topped the Korean movie box office for three consecutive weeks, surpassing 3.29 million cumulative audiences.

The break-even point of "Concrete Utopia" is 3.8 million, and it is expected to surpass the break-even point soon and be on the box office list this summer.

On the 24th, the 16th day of its release, "Concrete Utopia," which surpassed 3 million viewers, is proving its explosive box office fever by firmly maintaining its No. 1 spot in the Korean movie box office in the third week of its release.

Despite the successive releases of new films, it continues to heat up long-term box office hits, attracting a wide range of audiences with Korean materials and universal consensus across generations, drawing more attention to future box office trends.

Meanwhile, "Concrete Utopia" is a disaster movie about Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake, and the only remaining palace apartment that begins with survivors gathering.

source: here 

• Like 1

August 28, 2023

[SC Focus] "I rolled up my arms for my disciple"... Park Chan-wook is 'Concrete Utopia' → Bong Joon-ho is 'Sleep'.. Master teacher's familial love.

It’s amazing how these disciples matches the exact vibe of their masters, including their appearance. 

2023083001002051300267081_20230829070902068.jpg?type=w430view original

The extraordinary love of master directors for their students is drawing attention. Director Park Chan-wook cheered director Uhm Tae-hwa's 'Concrete Utopia' and Director Bong Joon-ho stepped up to support the rookie Director Yoo Jae-sun's 'Sleep'.

First, director Uhm Tae-hwa, who showed a clear presence with the independent film 'Ingtogi' directed in 2013, settled down in Chungmuro with his first commercial film 'Vanishing Time' (16), and then made a comeback after 7 years with 'Concrete Utopia'. Director Uhm Tae-hwa, who is known as the older brother of actor Uhm Tae-goo, received a lot of attention as he emerged as a rookie to succeed the 'Ryu Seung-wan and Ryoo Seung-beom' brothers who are representative of Chungmuro. 

In addition, director Uhm Tae-hwa is receiving even greater expectations as he is known as the 'Park Chan-wook Kid' who learned film under Director Park Chan-wook. Director Uhm Tae-hwa learned directing techniques from his mentor, Park Chan-wook, while working as an assistant director and directing department in Director Park Chan-wook's 'Three, Monster' (04), 'Lady Vengeance' (05) and 'Night Fishing' (10). Under this influence, director Uhm Tae-hwa succeeded in building a mise-en-scène worthy of 'Park Chan-wook Kid' by incorporating director Park Chan-wook's unique vertical composition, delicate visual beauty, non-blatant portrayal of violence, and detailed symbols and double lines in his work. In fact, director Uhm Tae-hwa revealed that he was influenced by director Park Chan-wook's directing style for scenes with humor in a serious situation.

Director Park Chan-wook also helped the box office success by walking his arms around his beloved disciple Director Uhm Tae-hwa's performance and providing special support. On the 4th, the first week of the release of 'Concrete Utopia', he held a special GV (conversation with the audience) with his pupil and praised the pupil's directing skills. 

Director Park Chan-wook said on the same day, "I read the script of 'Concrete Utopia' and even watched the edited version. Even though I knew everything, there was no time to get bored from start to finish. The movie was made with an orthodox attitude, so it's fun to watch it again. No tricks at all. Because there is none, I can say that it is a movie made with a pure and simple attitude.”

He continued, "As I mentioned before, a Director who is this mature and, as mentioned earlier, makes a film according to textbook standards, with finesse, skill, flair, and no bravado, is a rare state in the world. As a Korean, I feel proud that this Director, who has not lost his boldness, has such a good imagination skills in a situation that is rare in the world. I hope for your support.” 

Spoiler

If director Park Chan-wook, a master loved by the world, gave his support to Um Tae-hwa's 'Concrete Utopia', another world-famous Korean master director, Bong Joon-ho, gave his support to rookie director Yoo Jae-sun's 'Sleep'. Director Yoo Jae-seon is a representative 'Bong Joon-ho kid' who developed his skills as a director of Bong Joon-ho's 'Okja' (17) directing team. Director Yoo Jae-sun made his debut in Chungmuro with 'Sleep' this year after going through the short films 'Video Letter' in 2014 and 'Request' in 2018. The name was raised and a splendid ceremony was held. 

Director Yoo Jae-seok has also been receiving favorable reviews since his debut film for his directing style influenced by his mentor, Bong Joon-ho, such as a clear story without superfluous and catchy black comedy. Director Bong Joon-ho called Yoo-mi Jung and Sun-kyun Lee, who were starring in the lead roles, at the time of casting for 'Sleep' earlier, and recommended director Jae-sun Yoo to help with the casting.

2023083001002051300267083_20230829070902082.jpg?type=w430

Director Bong Joon-ho did not stop at his impressions, but held the 'Sleep' GV on the 26th with director Yoo Jae-sun and practiced love. In particular, in this GV, director Bong Joon-ho handed over the main character's seat to director Jae-sun Yoo and actor Sun-gyun Lee, while at the same time participating as a moderator and leading the overall GV, attracting attention. 

On this day, director Bong Joon-ho said, "I knew the story and development because I read the scenario and saw the edited version. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but be sucked into the entire 94 minutes and couldn't let go of the tension." It is so nice to see that a movie that can lead and shine with the purest cinematic power itself has come out.” In addition, "I also think it is very meaningful that it is a new director's work. When a new director makes his debut, there are bound to be many hurdles and difficulties. I also felt that a 'small but solid, jewel-like movie' came out under such circumstances." and sent cheers.

Source: here 

• Like 1

August 29, 2023

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D-21

#2 Overall Movies 

Attendance: 37,166 people 

Accumulated : 3,374,886 people 

Ticket reservation rate at #3 with 9.4% 

There’s a new Korean movie thats releasing tomorrow called Target, and its at the #2 spot for ticket reservation rate. Concrete Utopia, keep maintaining the momentum. Fighting! 

F05974-C0-BDA3-473-B-B804-2-E2575-C16219

Relay GV will also be held in the fourth week of release of "Concrete Utopia."

0003765473_001_20230830010101195.jpg?type=w430View Source

Director Uhm Tae-hwa of the movie "Concrete Utopia," actors Kim Ye-eun and Gong Min-jung will meet to hold the fourth week of relay GV.

The GV, attended by Movement CEO Jin Myung-hyun as a modulator, raises expectations with fresh behind-the-scenes stories delivered by director Um Tae-hwa and other hidden main characters in the movie who completed "Concrete Utopia."Chungmuro's scene-stealer actors will be present to tell a richer story with their unique presence, including Kim Ye-eun, a resident of a surviving royal palace apartment, and Gong Min-jung, who played a character who faced Min-sung (Park Seo-joon)

In particular, it is expected that fans who are enjoying various interpretations and reviews contained in the film through the Nth viewing will be given new joy by conveying unique viewing points that have not been seen before.

source: Here 

• Awesome 1

August 30, 2023

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D-21

#3 Overall movies 

#2 Korean movies 

Ticket researvation rate: 7%

Attendance: 50,125 people 

Accumulated: 3,425,013 people 

32-BB694-F-5-A9-E-4-B36-8-C45-185-B2081-

"Concrete Utopia" OST released..."Apartment" sung by Park Jihoo.

0007017630_001_20230830094001477.jpg?type=w430View Source

The movie "Concrete Utopia" (director Um Tae-hwa) has released a soundtrack that doubles the aftertaste of the movie.

According to distributor Lotte Entertainment on the 30th, the original soundtrack of "Concrete Utopia" will be released on major domestic music sites at 12 p.m. on the same day.

The soundtrack of "Concrete Utopia" is expected to draw enthusiastic responses from the audience as it can meet the music of music director Kim Hae-won, who has raised the completeness of the work from the ironic moment in the movie to the breathtaking suspense.In particular, Park Ji-hoo's "Apartment" was included in the soundtrack, which doubled the audience's lingering feelings by decorating the movie's ending credit.Park Ji-hoo's song, which reinterprets the "apartment" that made a strong impression on the audience by singing by Young-tak (Lee Byung-hun), the representative of residents in the movie, has received favorable reviews, adding to expectations that the release of the soundtrack will be more interested.

In addition, as overseas digital music is scheduled to be released on September 1, expectations are raised that "Concrete Utopia" will continue to be a steep hit at home and abroad.

source: here 

• Like 1

September 1, 2023

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D-23 

#3 Overall Movies

#2 Korean Movies 

Attendance: 31,805 people 

Accumulated: 3,486,629 people 

Ticket reservation rate: 8.6% (28,744 people ) 

272-C9-DD2-0-A38-456-C-91-F7-FC7792891-E

Concrete Utopia 4th Relay GV with Director Uhm tae Hwa, and Chungmuro scene stealers Kim Ye Eun and Gong Min Jung 

September 2, 2023

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D - 24

#3 Overall Movies

#2 Korean Movies 

Attendance: 67,713 people 

Accumulated: 3,554,408 audiences (360K tomorrow! So close to reaching its BEP! Chuseok has a lot of new releases. Till that time, maintain your place and go for 5Mm Concrete Utopia. Fighting!) 

Ticket reservation rate: 7.3%(19,608 people) 

30-C41-BEB-C5-CC-4424-A7-DB-87-D00-C13-E

Here’s the playlists of the entire OSTs from Concrete Utopia that Music Director Kim Hae won shared on his YouTube. So far, couldn’t get much feel out of them as I cannot relate it to the scene, but some are enjoyable nonetheless.  The music has been highly praised for the movie, so I hope they bag all the upcoming awards for Music category, starting with Buil Movie Awards this October. Good luck, team!!  

September 3, 2023

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D - 24

#3 Overall Movies

#2 Korean Movies 

Attendance: 58,169 people 

Accumulated: 3,612,602 people ( Let’s reach 3.8M before the release of Sleep, and becomes even more challenging. Concrete Utopia, fighting! 

C044-EFC5-1376-4398-88-CA-98-F8-D4-CA487

3.6 million 'concrete utopia' shows the long-awaited break-even point

Untitled-2.jpg?type=w800

Finally, the break-even point is only a few steps away.

According to the Korea Film Council's integrated computer network for movie theater tickets, the movie "Concrete Utopia (directed by Um Tae-hwa)" attracted 157,722 people for three days on weekends from the 1st to the 3rd, recording a cumulative audience of 3,612,602.

The box office ranking is third overall, falling one step down with the release of the new "Target," but the goal has surpassed the break-even point.With less than 200,000 people left until 3.8 million, it is expected to become a box office hit soon.

Concrete Utopia, which cost more than 20 billion won in production, was able to significantly lower the break-even point of the theater as overseas sales went smoothly, with the Maginot Line set at 3.8 million.

As a result, if "Concrete Utopia" crosses the break-even point, it will be the second box office hit to succeed "Smugglers" among the big four Korean films released in the market this summer, and two of the four who survived.

"Concrete Utopia" is a disaster drama about Seoul, which was devastated by a major earthquake, and it is the only remaining palace apartment that begins with survivors gathering.

Hour

September 5, 2023 

CONCRETE UTOPIA BOX OFFICE D - 26

#4 Overall Movies 

#3 Korean Movies 

Attendance: 15,390 people 

Accumulated: 3,645,257 people.

25541-A6-B-BE3-C-4735-83-BB-BC74-C02-B23

Lotte released an uncensored video of one of LBH’s famous ad-libs from the movie Concrete Utopia. I want to talk about it, but I only know about 70% of this scenes essence in general, so will keep that essay for later. Haha