[Drama 2021] The Sea of Silence, 고요의 바다

larus

Watch: Gong Yoo, Bae Doona, And More Risk Their Lives To Solve A Mystery In Space In New Trailer For “The Silent Sea”

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 10, 2021
by E. Cha

Netflix has shared an exciting new sneak peek of its highly-anticipated series “The Silent Sea”!

“The Silent Sea” is an upcoming series set in 2075, when Earth has become desertified and drained of its natural resources. A special team is tasked with heading to an abandoned research station on the moon, which is referred to as “the silent sea,” for a top-secret mission.

Bae Doona will star in the drama as Song Ji Ahn, a space biologist; Gong Yoo as Han Yoon Jae, the team leader; Lee Joon as Ryu Tae Seok, a senior engineer; Kim Sun Young as Hong Ga Young, the team doctor; Lee Moo Saeng as Gong Soo Hyuk, the head of security; and Lee Sung Wook as Kim Sun, the spaceship pilot.

The newly released trailer begins by revealing how dire the situation on Earth has become, with a news report announcing that the world’s water will be reduced by 40% over the next 10 years. Song Ji Ahn is recruited by the government to join a mission to retrieve an important sample at the abandoned Balhae Station, then return to Earth.

However, once the special team gets to the station at the moon, they find that things aren’t exactly what they expected. As they find the station littered with corpses and face mystery after mystery, they begin to wonder, “What if the government report wasn’t true?” Song Ji Ahn worries, “There are too many things we don’t know,” and Han Yoon Jae finally declares, “I think we need to leave here now.”

“The Silent Sea” will premiere on December 24. In the meantime, check out the suspenseful new trailer with English subtitles below!

https://www.soompi.com/article/1503029wpp/watch-gong-yoo-bae-doona-and-more-risk-their-lives-to-solve-a-mystery-in-space-in-new-trailer-for-the-silent-sea

• Like 1

December 10 2021

English subtitled trailer for Netflix sci-fi drama “The Silent Sea”

The_Silent_Sea-SI01.jpeg

English subtitled trailer added for Netflix sci-fi drama series “The Silent Sea” starring Bae Doo-Na & Gong Yoo. Meanwhile, above and below are still images from the upcoming drama series of Bae Doo-Na as Song Ji-An and Gong Yoo as Han Yoon-Jae. Song Ji-An is well-known astrobiologist, while Han Yoon-Jae is the exploration team leader for the space agency. Hiding their intentions, they carry out a mission which has only a 10% survival rate.  

“The Silent Sea” will be available to stream from December 24, 2021 in South Korea.

Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki: Set in the future, when the planet suffers from a lack of water and food caused by desertification. Yoon-Jae is a soldier for the space agency. He is selected for a team, including Ji-An, to travel to the moon. Their mission is to retrieve a mysterious sample from an abandoned research station.

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1

Gong Yoo, Bae Doona, Lee Joon, And More Encounter A Mystery On The Moon In “The Silent Sea” Poster

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 15, 2021
by S. Nam

Highly-anticipated series “The Silent Sea” revealed an exciting new poster!

“The Silent Sea” is an upcoming Netflix series set in 2075, when Earth has become desertified and drained of its natural resources. A special team is tasked with heading to an abandoned research station on the moon, which is referred to as “the silent sea,” for a top-secret mission.

Bae Doona will star in the drama as space biologist Song Ji Ahn, Gong Yoo as the team leader Han Yoon Jae, Lee Joon as senior engineer Ryu Tae Seok, Kim Sun Young as team doctor Hong Ga Young, Lee Moo Saeng as head of security Gong Soo Hyuk, and Lee Sung Wook as spaceship pilot Kim Sun.

The new poster captures the special team just as they’re about to enter the abandoned research station on the moon. Past the open doors, there are people fallen on the ground, creating a tense atmosphere amidst the crew members while raising questions about what happened at Balhae Station in the past. The text on the poster reads, “The abandoned lunar base. The crew members began to be killed,” hinting that the mystery surrounding the base has yet to end.

The-Silent-Sea-2.jpg

Director Choi Hang Yong stated, “The moon, which is close to the Earth but actually has little information revealed about it, felt charming to me.” He continued to preview the powerful suspense that viewers will feel as an unexpected story unfolds on the quiet and desolate moon. Along with the vast space scenery and the intriguing surface of the moon, viewers will be captivated by the mysterious story surrounding Balhae Station.

The director added, “‘The Silent Sea’ is a story of the crew members’ survival, but going even further, it’s a story about the survival of Earth and human race.” Sharing that the story asks the question of how humankind should survive in the future through a story taking place in an Earth drained of its natural resources, Choi Hang Yong explained, “I captured this in the perspective of believing in humankind’s goodness unlike other survival stories that showcase the weakness of humans in extreme situations.” He elaborated, “If you look closely, differences can exist within that goodness as well,” making viewers wonder about the different decisions the crew members will make in the face of the upcoming danger.

Scriptwriter Park Eun Gyo also commented, “‘The Silent Sea’ is a story that tosses around the question about the value and meaning of survival in a space that’s the closest to death. If all of humankind is placed in a situation in which their lives are threatened, on what standard would we choose our actions and the path to better humanity?”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1503805wpp/gong-yoo-bae-doona-lee-joon-and-more-encounter-a-mystery-on-the-moon-in-the-silent-sea-poster

• Awesome 2
  • Blob 1

Netflix shared <Silent Seas> characters description.  

WHO'S WHO

All Aboard Nuri 11: Meet the Daring Crew of ‘The Silent Sea’

Can Gong Yoo and his neck tattoo save mankind?

By Haein Jung | Dec 18, 2021

A group of space experts and astronauts must embark on a 24-hour mission to the moon and bring back mysterious samples on Balhae Base research station. As crew members begin to die one by one unexpectedly, however, they find that many more forces than they’d expected seek to threaten their mission. 

Meet the crew who risks it all on an adventure that’s literally out of this world.

All Aboard Nuri 11: Meet the Daring Crew of ‘The Silent Sea’

Han Yunjae (Gong Yoo)

Title: Captain of Nuri 11

Background: Yunjae is tasked with bringing classified samples from Balhae station back to Earth. His sole focus is to complete the mission. 

Notable Info: He’s cool and reserved and, at times, inflexible. He leaves behind a daughter on Earth.

Bae Doona

Song Jian (Bae Doona)

Title: Astrobiologist

Background: Jian has her ownsecret reasons why she decides to embark on this mission. 

Notable Info: Before the mission, Jian switched fields from astrobiology to ethology, the study of animal behavior

Ryu Taeseok (Lee Joon)

Ryu Taesuk (Lee Joon)

Title: Lieutenant Engineer

Background: Taesuk is a former pilot with military training who’s transferred into the engineering field.

Notable Info: He’s highly regarded by his peers and considered “elite.”

Spoiler

Hong Gayoung, aka Doc Hong (Kim Sun-young)

Hong Gayoung, aka Doc Hong (Kim Sun-young)

Title: Medic

Background: Gayoung’s a team player who handles medical crises — including mysterious and unknown space viruses — swiftly and deftly. 

Notable Info: She’s deeply caring of her team, despite her initial sass

Gong Suhyeok (Lee Mu-saeng)

Gong Soohyuk (Lee Mu-saeng)

Title: Security Team Leader

Background: Soohyuk’s the older brother of Gong Soochan, who’s also on the mission. 

Notable Info: A man of few words, Soohyuk is mission-oriented and loyal to Captain Han.

Kim Heesun, aka Kim Sun

Kim Heesun, aka Kim Sun (Lee Sung-wook)

Title: Pilot

Background: The crew calls him “Kim Sun,” but Heesun refers to himself as “Top Gun.”

Notable Info: He’s outspoken and seen as the class clown. Having served many years together, he and Soochan are close.

https://www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/the-silent-sea-cast-characters

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

Premiere Watch: Moonshine, The One and Only, The Silent Sea

by missvictrix

We have a fun assortment of dramas awaiting us this week! Another sageuk awaits (flowery and full of illegal alcohol), a tear-jerker of a melodrama, and a sci-fi adventure on the moon.

The Silent Sea

https://d263ao8qih4miy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/premwatch_moonshine4.jpg

https://www.dramabeans.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/premwatch_moonshine4.jpg

Time slot: Friday
Broadcaster: Netflix
Genre: Sci-fi, thriller, mystery
Episode count: 8

Reasons to watch: Our next Netflix original is here already, and with it comes Bae Doona and Gong Yoo — not too shabby. The series takes place in the near future, and a special group of astronauts and scientists gets tapped for a mission to the moon. The mission is shrouded in as much mystery as the drama is, but I’ve always got my antennae up for a good sci-fi story, and even better with an apocalyptic or somewhat dystopic setting. Netflix dramas seem pretty hard to pin down, or even predict in terms of tone, so no promises, but all the crossed fingers.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2021/12/premiere-watch-moonshine-the-one-and-only-the-silent-sea/

• Like 3

2021/12/22  <The Silent Sea> online presscon in Seoul this morning

3-A1-C1875-6281-42-B4-95-ED-858-A895875-

148-EA43-D-AF05-4-F15-898-F-9-F39-BD9480

Gong Yoo confessed at “The Silent Sea” press conference: “I got tanned skin and neck tattoo in order to play my character”

Hachi12076 | Kbizoom | December 22, 2021

Actor Gong Yoo explained the character he plays in “The Silent Sea”.

On the morning of December 22nd, the press conference for “The Silent Sea” was held online in order to prevent the pandemic spread. Actors Bae Doo-na, Gong Yoo, Lee Joon, Kim Sun-young, Lee Moo-saeng, Lee Sung-wook, director Choi Hang-yong, screenwriter Park Eun-kyo, and Jung Woo-sung (producer) attended the event.

8-EB8-B4-B0-AF3-E-432-F-AE95-658-A88-FB2

On this day, Gong Yoo talked about his role in “The Silent Sea”, saying “Since this character was a soldier, so I tried to express his tanned appearance that shows he has been through a lot of hardships”, adding, “I also got a tattoo on my neck”. He continued, “I didn’t make myself look tough on purpose. I only tried to get rid of the ‘romantic’ appearance.”In addition, Gong Yoo shared, “I think I will show you something that you haven’t seen before”.

Spoiler

1-C516-F63-2-EC8-4434-BEEC-6-B058041027-

“The Silent Sea” is a Netflix series telling the story of people who leave for a research base abandoned on the moon after receiving a special mission in the near future when the Earth is suffering from a lack of essential resources.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Gong Yoo on starring in ‘The Silent Sea’: “My instinct strongly told me I should do it”

He also described the story of the new series as "mind-blowing"

ByCarmen Chin | NME
22nd December 2021

gong yoo the silent sea behind the scenes instinct netflix 20211222
Gong Yoo in 'The Silent Sea'. Credit: Netflix

Gong Yoo, along with the rest of the main cast of Netflix’s upcoming sci-fi K-drama The Silent Seahave shared their thoughts on the series.

The streaming giant shared a new behind-the-scenes video of the forthcoming sci-fi epic, which shares the process and insight from the show’s main cast and crew ahead of The Silent Sea‘s global release on Christmas Eve (December 24).

Based on director Choi Hang-young’s own 2014 short film The Sea Of Tranquility, the new series – starring Gong Yoo, Bae Doo-na and more – has been over a decade in the making, the clip revealed.

Lead actor Gong Yoo, who plays Captain Han Yoon-jae on the show, shared his first reaction to hearing of The Silent Sea‘s story. “It was mind-blowing,” he shared, adding that he felt it was right for him to work on the series. “My instinct strongly told me I should do it.”

Bae Doo-na, who stars as the series’ main protagonist Song Ji-an, also revealed her eagerness to star in The Silent Sea, upon first watching the original short film it was based on. “Watching the film got me very curious about its director,” she shared.

Meanwhile, the crew behind the show’s conception shared the long process of refining the story from its humble origins. “It was a small, rough gemstone at first,” executive producer Jung Woo-sung shared. “But it was a matter of how much we would allow it to shine by processing it. It has a story that can throw viewers for a loop.”

Set in a distant future where Earth has undergone desertification, The Silent Sea follows a a space exploration team who are sent to the Moon to secure a sample from the abandoned space station, which may well hold the key to the survival of the planet.

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/gong-yoo-on-starring-in-the-silent-sea-my-instinct-strongly-told-me-i-should-do-it-3124352?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

• Like 3

• larus changed the title to [Drama 2021] The Sea of Silence, 고요의 바다

‘The Silent Sea’ Looks to the Skies to Save Earth, but Perhaps Lingers Too Long: TV Review

by Daniel D`Addario

Gong-Yoo-Silent-Sea-Netflix.jpg?w=681&h=

Comparisons between “The Silent Sea” — Netflix’s latest Korean-language drama — and this fall’s streaming phenom “Squid Game” extend well beyond their common tongue. On “The Silent Sea,” a group of desperate individuals enter into a perilous situation as a last-ditch attempt for salvation; their quest begins with the painful recognition of the economic inequality of their world.

The comparison between the two K-dramas becomes somewhat reductive beyond an initial gloss on themes, however, as the shows differ in genre. While “Squid Game” was a violent thriller, “The Silent Sea” is a sci-fi epic, depicting an attempt to harvest water on the moon to slake the thirst of a desert-ifying Earth. But as the runaway success of “Squid Game” indicated, more powerfully than ever, there’s a global audience for entertainment with aggressively underscored themes that transcend language.

In “The Silent Sea,” directed by Choi Hang Yong and based on his short film of the same name, Netflix has a show that is likely to please and disappoint in equal measure. In short order, the first episode economically establishes the state of things: Earth is dying. (We later learn that water is parceled out according to recipients’ social status.) And South Korea’s “National Committee for Human Survival Measures” is launching a new mission to a lunar station where an enigmatic mass casualty event derailed research into the potential for water on the moon. This bluntness has its raw pleasures, even as the data-dump nature of the storytelling forecloses more artful possibilities.

Happily, the performers often transcend the roughest parts of the material. Bae Doona, a performer whose versatility viewers may recall from 2012’s “Cloud Atlas,” plays a biologist who feels duty-bound to join the mission for reasons both global and personal. Once arriving at the lunar base, she’s the first to rip off her helmet, proving that the oxygen levels are safe. The actor’s grit sells the moment, and her touch with the show’s more tender material is assured.

The visual sweep of “The Silent Sea” is impressive — its lunar canyons are strikingly well-rendered — but the show’s eight episodes can grow turgid and slow, as if the series is dazzled by its own beauty. We are rushed through the establishment of this world, only to dawdle as time goes by. And the show’s narrowing aperture, over eight long episodes, to one personal relationship (which I won’t spoil) feels somewhat limiting.

The film “Gravity,” which similarly treated space travel as a metaphor for a journey through one’s emotional life, is presented as a parable, with little specific information about the larger world beyond astronaut Ryan Stone’s grief. Her mission and her emotions are one. In “The Silent Sea,” though, the fate of the world hanging in the balance works at cross-purposes to the emotional story being told. Things are so dire on Earth that in her quest to save it, the pace of Bae’s character can feel ponderous — despite her giving it her all as a performer. The two threads of the story can distract from one another.

With that said, the highs of “The Silent Sea” are indeed high, and the show clears the low bar of having a good deal on its mind. A five- or six-episode version might have elided some of the long stretches during which attention is destined to roam; overall, though, audiences who appreciate genre fare with heart are likely to be glad they took the trip.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/reviews/the-silent-sea-netflix-1235141513/

• Like 1

Stream It Or Skip It: ‘The Silent Sea’ On Netflix, A Thriller About A Mysterious Moon Mission That Goes Very Wrong

@joelkeller Dec 24, 2021 at 10:30am

n a world where it’s been 50 years since we first landed on the moon and celebrities and civilian billionaires are being shot into space, science fiction around near-earth space travel feels harder to pull off. So there needs to be higher stakes, like a shuttered lunar station that holds a lot of secrets. That’s the idea behind the Korean series The Silent Sea.

Opening Shot: Alarms go off in a spacecraft, with a warning saying “Oxygen levels unstable.” As we pan down, we see a woman in a space suit upside down in her seat, coming to after being briefly unconscious.

The Gist: In a near-future version of the earth, worldwide desertification has caused governments to ration water. The higher level you are, the more water you get.

Biochemist Dr. Song Ji-an (Bae Doona) is approached by the space administration to be a part of a new moon mission, five years after the disaster at the Balhe Lunar Research Station Left over 100 crew members dead, including her sister. As part of the SAA’s recompense to her, she’s given a gold card that allows her to get as much water as she wants. Understandably, Dr. Song is reluctant to do a mission… until she’s told that she’s going to Balhe.

She meets the rest of the crew, beginning with captain Han Yoon-jae (Gong Yoo). Another crew member, Ryoo Tae-seok (Lee Joon) is a well known officer whose good reputation precedes him. She also meets the ship’s doctor, Hong Ga-young (Kim Sun-young), who jokes that she likes a good looking crew so she has “eye candy” to look at.

Their mission is to go to Balhe and retrieve a sample before the station itself is closed for good. No one, including the administrators, have been told what the sample is, just that it needs careful handling and they only have 24 hours to find it. That, of course, triggers a lot of questions from Dr. Song. Captain Han, however, doesn’t question it; a mission is a mission and his orders are his orders.

Right before takeoff, the crew learns that they’re getting a new co-pilot. The liftoff goes well, but as they get closer to the moon, the brackets that attach their shuttle to the main rockets starts to give way. Han makes a decision to land sooner than they hoped, and a crash landing brings the shuttle on the edge of a cliff, tipping over the edge while upside down. Everyone manages to escape to the surface before the shuttle tumbles off the cliff, but the one crew member who knows the space station well has punctured a lung.

They’re several kilometers away, and the oxygen in their suits will barely be enough. They get waylaid when the injured crew member aspirates and dies, but not before warning the captain about the water at the station. The crew make it to Balhe, and none too soon; some are running out of oxygen as they manage to get the doors open.

the-silent-sea-1-1.jpg?quality=90&strip=

What Shows Will It Remind You Of? Think the modern version of Lost In Space with Hilary Swank’s space show Away.

Our Take: We were impressed with The Silent Sea, written by Park Eun-kyo and directed by Choi Hang-yong, mainly because it does a good job of combining its VFX with a tightly-written story that doesn’t strain plausibility.

There’s just enough backstory in the first episode to show viewers what’s at stake. Even though we don’t know what the sample is that the crew is tasked to get, we do know that the lack of water on the planet is an ongoing and urgent state for humanity, to the point where there is a bureau devoted to the species’ survival. We don’t know a lot about the accident on Balhe, but we know that Dr. Song is more or less bitter about it.

So what we have is a thriller, with a mystery mixed in, plus a good start with the backstory of Dr. Song at the very least. We anticipate that, as further episodes show the crew exploring the station looking for the sample, trying to figure out how in the hell they’re going to get home, they’ll find more dangers in their way. But the mystery behind just what the sample is and who is ordering the agency to risk a crew’s lives to go in and find it is intriguing enough to push the story forward and keep viewers intrigued.

One thing that’s for sure is that the first episode didn’t move slow. Yes, there were a bunch of VFX-heavy sequences, especially during the crew’s attempt to get out of the shuttle before it falls, but they’re integral to the story. When they’re walking on the surface to get to Balhe, there was a slight feeling that it looked less like the moon and more like a soundstage, but that’s more because of some of the light that shined on each crew member than anything else. There’s always going to be an element of surrealism in a show like this, and we can handle that in the case of the scenes on the surface.

Sex and Skin: None.

Parting Shot: As everyone barely manages to get inside the station, and the doors close behind them, Dr. Song looks out the window in the door at the surface they just left.

Sleeper Star: Kim Sun-young makes the most of her limited screen time as Doc Hong. We hope to see her role increase as the season goes along.

Most Pilot-y Line: Doc Hong tells the co-pilot, who keeps asking Dr. Song about what level she his for water access, “Mr. Nosy, if you fail to land this thing slowly, I’m going to throw up on the back of your head.”

Our Call: STREAM IT. The story told in The Silent Sea appears to be a tightly-written one, at least during the first episode, without getting too bogged down in the backstories of more than the main characters.

https://decider.com/2021/12/24/the-silent-sea-netflix-review/

• Like 1

The Silent Sea Ending Explained

The Silent Sea races to a soggy conclusion as it answers the many questions at the heart of its lunar mystery.

kayti-profile.jpg?resize=200%2C200&filteBy Kayti Burt

the-silent-sea-ending-explained-netflix.

Netflix got in one more grim K-drama before Christmas: moon mystery The Silent Sea. Because nothing says Christmas like a spooky, abandoned lunar base! The drama stars Bae Doona (Cloud Atlas, Kingdom) as Dr. Song, an astrobiologist-turned-ethologist who agrees to go on a mission to the lunar base where her sister died in order to retrieve a mysterious “sample.”

The story is set in a probably-too-near future in which climate change has rapidly reduced the Earth’s water supply, leaving the surviving population to fight for the unevenly distributed resource. Song is part of a team that includes a doctor, two pilots, some engineers, and several seemingly experienced astronauts, including Captain Han, played by Gong Yoo (Train to Busan, Squid Game). While Captain Han is in charge of the mission, Dr. Song has control over any decisions having to do with the unstable and very dangerous “sample.”

What Happened on Balhae Station?

Balhae Station was a lunar research base led by Dr. Song’s sister, as part of a project undertaken by the National Ministry of Defense. As Dr. Song eventually learns, the scientists at Balhae Station were tasked with finding a way to make lunar water safe and plentiful for the human population. At some point, Director Choi decides that the project is too much of a PR nightmare should the secrets of the child experimentation gets out, and has the base shut down and everyone who works there left to die via exposure to the lunar water. She doesn’t believe there will be any survivors, but she is wrong…

Why Are People Turning Into Water?

I’m glad you asked. When lunar water is exposed to the human body, it multiplies exponentially inside of the host until they are dead, drowned from the inside out. Lunar water is a hopeful discovery in the sense that it could solve Earth’s water scarcity problem, but bad in the sense that lunar water, you know, usually kills its host.

It’s terrifying to imagine how lunar water could be abused in the wrong hands. As evidenced by the fight for water regulation abolition on Silent Sea‘s Earth—and you know how inequality and capitalism works on our Earth—it’s not hard to imagine immoral businesspeople killing people in exchange for the lunar water they produce. Of course, lunar water is useless unless people can consume it. Otherwise, humans are viral drowning in a dry, thirsty world.

Who is Luna?

Luna, or more specifically Luna 073, is the only clone who has survived the experimentation process. Unlike her 72 predecessors (yes, the Balhae team killed 72 kids before getting it right), Luna is not only able to survive exposure to the lunar water, but is changed by it. She becomes super fast and strong, is able to heal her own wounds when exposed to lunar water, and her body produces antibodies that can make other humans able to consume lunar water themselves. (Dr. Song is able to survive exposure to lunar water after sustaining a bite from Luna.)

As Dr. Song and Captain Han eventually agree upon, Luna is the potential savior of Earth. But what might that look like? SAA Chief Kim (Squid Game‘s Heo Sungtae) admits to them that, while he has grown unsettled by Director Choi’s unchecked power, he is fine with an outcome that would see Luna living out the rest of her probably numbered days being experimented on at a Ministry of National Defense facility. Dr. Song comes up with an alternate plan: bring Luna and the lunar water samples to The International Institute of Space Biology, which seems somewhat akin to our ISS. Dr. Song sees the institute as a more neutral area to continue to research the possibilities of lunar water outside of one government or corporations sole control.

What Happened to Dr. Song’s Sister?

Not only did Dr. Song’s sister work on Balhae Station, she was the chief researcher. This means that she led the research project that involved experimenting on children, leading to dozens of brutal deaths. Before Song’s sister dies, she sends Jian a message: FIND LUNA. It’s what drives our Dr. Song to agree to the mission, as she wants to understand why her older sister was there and how she died. While Song doesn’t actually get to talk to her deceased sister, she imagines the conversation, using the logs she has found that paint a better picture of other Dr. Song’s path. “Jian, I wanted to show you the sea,” she says. As for what Sister Song wanted our Dr. Song to do once she found Luna, it’s unclear. All that is clear is what Dr. Song decides: she will treat Luna like the thinking, feeling human that she is.

The personal connection is also what convinces Director Choi to bring Dr. Song on for the mission—or at least that’s what Jian theorizes. Choi believes that Dr. Song will not reveal the truth of what happened at Balhae Station because she wouldn’t want the public to know the atrocities her sister committed there.

What is RX?

In the final episode, it is confirmed that both Lieutenant Ryu and co-pilot Lee Gisu were hired by RX, which is described in Episode 2 as “a transnational corporation. RX is short for Resource Exploration for Space Mining and Planetary Development. They sound like a corporate-funded group of space mercenaries who work to secure resources that can then be sold to the highest bidder, and they are pretty much sabotaging the mission from the beginning.

Why Did Lieutenant Ryu Work for RX?

While Lee Gisu seemed both mentally unwell and also in it for the money, Lieutenant Ryu had a much more personal reason for working for RX: he was a member of the Ministry of National Defense mission to close Balhae Station—”close” being a euphemism here for “sabotage and leave hundreds of people to die.” Consumed by guilt and angry at the governmental higher-ups for their role in the massacre, he more or less decided to start working for their enemy. When he is dying from lunar water exposure in “The Silent Sea,” he keeps apologizing to Dr. Song. It’s because he remembers closing and locking the base doors that would condemn her to death.

Why Does Captain Han Stay Behind?

In the final act of “The Silent Sea,” Captain Han realizes that they won’t be able to activate the decompression chamber from inside the chamber (because of course), and that someone must stay behind to do it. Without telling Dr. Song or Doc Hong (Crash Landing On You‘s Kim Sun Young), he returns to the prior chamber and activates the depressurization process for them, ensuring that the doctors and Luna will be able to safely leave the base.

Does Captain Han Die?

Poor Captain Gong Yoo. Though it initially seems like Han dies in the effort, as the chamber he is in floods with lunar water, when the water eventually bursts out of the base and into the lunar atmosphere, he is thrown with it. Luna finds him, offering him back his badge with his daughter’s sticker on it. He doesn’t take it, but is given the chance to see that Luna has survived and is roaming freely on the lunar surface without a spacesuit. Before he dies, he is able to see that he completed his mission, as it would come to be defined by himself and Dr. Song: save Luna and the sample, ensuring hope for Earth.

Who Survives and Who Dies in The Silent Sea?

Honestly, so few people survive. (R.I.P., Mr. Hwang, who doesn’t even make it to the base.) In the end, of the 11 people who started the mission, only two people make it: Doc Hong and Dr. Song. Luna also survives, though she wasn’t part of the initial mission. Interestingly, everyone who dies is a man and every one who survives is a girl or woman.

Will There Be a Season 2 of The Silent Sea?

As with most series on Netflix, a second season will mostly likely be based on how well the first season does. I doubt The Silent Sea is going to get Squid Game or even Hellbound numbers—it’s a big too sluggish in its pacing—but that still leaves plenty of room for success. That being said, like most K-dramas, The Silent Sea does tell a complete story. While there are questions left to be answered—most urgently, what will become of Luna?—this show, based on a short film by director Choi Hangyong, tells a relatively short-term, confined story that answers the big questions poised at its beginning.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-silent-sea-ending-explained/

• Like 3

The Silent Sea actor Gong Yoo is extremely happy that K-content is receiving so much love globally

The Silent Sea stars Gong Yoo and Bae Doona are glad about Korean content going global. They hope that trend continues in future.

263522523_939436436672415_3839_1200x768.

They were global stars even before Hallyu 2.0, the second wave of South Korean culture, swept the world amid the Covid-19 pandemic. Ahead of the premiere of their upcoming sci-fi series The Silent Sea on Netflix, South Korean powerhouse performers Bae Doona and Gong Yoo are hopeful that streamers will help more “stories and creators” from the country to be discovered by the world.

While Gong said it is an exciting time to be “a working actor” when Korean shows and movies are making a mark globally, Bae pointed out that the success of the country’s entertainment industry is not a bolt out of the blue.

“It is definitely something that I am very happy about as a Korean actor and I am really intrigued that I am able to experience this as it unfolds as a currently active actor in Korea,” Gong, who created quite a stir with his cameo in Netflix’s Squid Game, said in response to a question by PTI in an international Zoom roundtable from Seoul.

They were global stars even before Hallyu 2.0, the second wave of South Korean culture, swept the world amid the Covid-19 pandemic. Ahead of the premiere of their upcoming sci-fi series The Silent Sea on Netflix, South Korean powerhouse performers Bae Doona and Gong Yoo are hopeful that streamers will help more “stories and creators” from the country to be discovered by the world.

While Gong said it is an exciting time to be “a working actor” when Korean shows and movies are making a mark globally, Bae pointed out that the success of the country’s entertainment industry is not a bolt out of the blue.

“It is definitely something that I am very happy about as a Korean actor and I am really intrigued that I am able to experience this as it unfolds as a currently active actor in Korea,” Gong, who created quite a stir with his cameo in Netflix’s Squid Game, said in response to a question by PTI in an international Zoom roundtable from Seoul.

Best known to drama fans for his romantic hero outings in Coffee Prince and Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, Gong attributed the popularity of K-content to the explosion of streamers.

“As long as you have a television screen or a streamer, we are living in an era where we can connect and enjoy any content from any place around the world very easily,” the 42-year-old actor, who has a global fan following courtesy his roles in the 2016 zombie thriller Train to Busan and 2011’s gritty crime drama Silenced, added.

“I am extremely happy that a lot of the K-content is receiving so much love globally, including Squid Game and Hellbound, and I dare say and hope that if we remain humble, we will be able to see the trend continue for quite some time,” Gong said through the help of an interpreter.

Bae, who is already a Netflix favourite post hit shows like Sense8 and Kingdom, said South Korea is a cinema-loving country receptive to many international films and now the tide is turning.

“I wouldn’t say that it’s something that happened out of nowhere or out of the blue that Korean films and entertainment are loved by the world and are noticed by the world. Korea is a country that truly loves

Bae, also 42, first became a global sensation with her role in the thriller Sympathy for Mr Vengeance in 2002, followed by Bong Joon-ho’s monster film The Host in 2006.

The actor, who later collaborated with the Wachowskis on sci-fi drama movies Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending, is confident that the popularity of Korean shows and movies is here to stay.

Citing the examples of widely acclaimed and award-winning titles Parasite and Minari, she said, “The way these are doing so well and are so loved by the global audiences, one might think that it’s a very sudden phenomenon.

“But I would say that we have always had these amazing and talented creators and films. It’s just that the streamers, OTT services and the changing media environment have provided a platform for them to be showcased and found by the world more widely.”

Bae hopes The Silent Sea, which premieres globally on Netflix on December 24, also becomes popular like the previous shows from South Korea.

“What we are seeing now is that the stories and creators that we have had for a long time are now being found out and being showcased to the world and I’m glad that many people can enjoy them,” she added.

The Silent Sea, written by Park Eun-kyo and directed by Choi Hang-yong from his 2014 short film, follows a story of elite scientists who set off for the moon to retrieve some unknown samples from an abandoned research station.

Bae portrays the role of astrobiologist Doctor Song Ji-an who joins the team, determined to uncover the truth behind an accident at the now-abandoned Balhae Base research station on the moon.

Describing her role in the show as a “layered” one, the actor said her character is someone who is tough from the outside but a soft person in reality who carries “a great deal of hurt within her”.

“It is almost like she needs to wear a tough armour on the outside because she’s so vulnerable on the inside,” she added.

Gong plays Han Yun-jae, the exploration team leader who must carry out a crucial mission with limited information. For Yun-jae, the safety of his team members is paramount.

Speaking about his experience of working on the show, the actor said the team leaned into a lot of technical support to ensure a realistic portrayal, be it creating a set or the surface of the moon.

The show also features Lee Joon, Kim Sun-young and Lee Mu-saeng. It is produced by actor Jung Woo-sung’s Artist Studio.

During a virtual press conference on Wednesday, actor Lee Joon quipped that shooting for the show was not challenging as there was a lot of dancing involved off camera.

“I don’t think I ever had this much fun on set, we were dancing a lot. It was almost like we were in a Bollywood movie even while wearing the very heavy spacesuit and the backpacks.

“Unfortunately, we don’t show off any of our moves in the series. But when the cameras were not rolling, the whole crew.. we were really dancing a lot and we had such a blast,” he added.

https://www.indiatoday.in/binge-watch/story/the-silent-sea-actor-gong-yoo-extremely-happy-that-k-drama-love-globally-1891782-2021-12-24

• Like 3