[Drama 2021] The Sea of Silence, 고요의 바다

larus

14 minutes ago, Kathia said:

Me too. Did she kill them because the enemy found out about the water? So that nobody would speak about the research? Even so, killing them was a bit stupid since the research remained there. It would've make sense for them to destroy the whole base/research lab.

Another thing I don`t quite understand. Ryu Tae-Suk seemed a man with a concience. He was afected by what happened at the base but he later joined a mercenary group? I get that he wants to work against against Aeronautics Administration/Director Choi after all that happened but now he has to do dirty things for the RX? We saw how he hesitated to kill everyone of his colleagues as their new orders. No matter how we look at it, he was again in a bad side. I wish we`ll know more about each of the crew members. But it was alright. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, larus said:

Another thing I don`t quite understand. Ryu Tae-Suk seemed a man with a concience. He was afected by what happened at the base but he later joined a mercenary group? I get that he wants to work against against Aeronautics Administration/Director Choi after all that happened but now he has to do dirty things for the RX? We saw how he hesitated to kill everyone of his colleagues as their new orders. No matter how we look at it, he was again in a bad side. I wish we`ll know more about each of the crew members. But it was alright. 

Yes, no redemptionn at all. Still, despite its flaws it was an enjoyable show.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, liddi said:

The original Luna, from whom the rest were cloned. What was her relationship with Dir. Choi and what happened to her? 

Whoa.  Good catch.  Who knows?  Are they really banking on S2 to explain it?  That Director was all sorts of suspicious from the beginning.  Kept dodging questions directed about the capsule they were supposed to retrieve.  

• Like 1

Gong Yoo Talks About Split Responses To “The Silent Sea,” His “Squid Game” Appearance, And More

dummy.jpeg?s=900x600&e=t

Dec 30, 2021
by C. Hong

Gong Yoo recently sat down with Sports Chosun to talk about his year.

In 2021, Gong Yoo made a brief but impactful appearance in the hit Netflix series “Squid Game,” and went on to star in his own Netflix series, “The Silent Sea,” in December.

“The Silent Sea” was based on a short film directed by Choi Hang Yong, which had been critically acclaimed at the 2014 Mise-en-Scène Short Film Festival. Actor Jung Woo Sung was a producer of the movie and a key player in turning the short film into a series. Set in the future on a desolate Earth, it is about an investigative team sent to an abandoned lunar base for a secret mission. Bae Doona stars as the astrobiologist Song Ji Ahn, while Gong Yoo stars as the investigative’s team leader Han Yoon Jae.

“The Silent Sea” was highly anticipated due to its slick production visuals, its stellar cast, and the fact that it came after a string of high-budget Korean dramas that made it big on Netflix, such as “Squid Game,” “My Name,” and “Hellbound.” Although the show performed well on Netflix, ranking within the top seven around the world on the first day of its release, the viewers’ responses were split between praise and criticism.

Via an online interview with Sports Chosun on December 30, Gong Yoo said, “I watched it with a sense of satisfaction wiith the results. I didn’t have a specific desire to do a sci-fi genre, but I really did want to do a series that was in a specific genre. That’s when I came across ‘The Silent Sea,’ and it was sci-fi. I am very satisfied with how the drama came out.”

He continued, “When I received the script and started working on the drama, I knew that some people would love it and some people would hate it. Since it’s in the sci-fi genre, I expected that the split would be even more extreme. I thought there were many different perspectives that the drama could be approached from, whether it’s scientific or a historical investigation. Of course, there were parts that were lacking, and I know about the small amount of negative perspectives. But I think that we made the best choices we could within the reality and class that we could achieve. It’s not that we were amazing, but I think that we opened the door for potential development. I think that this is a meaningful first step for the specifically Korean space sci-fi genre. Personally, there are parts that I’m very satisfied with, and I think it was brilliant for a first step. Many people watch from different perspectives, but I think of those diverse perspectives as garnering more interest in the drama, so I’m grateful.”

gong-yoo-1.jpeg

In recent years, Gong Yoo has moved away from typical romance dramas to thought-provoking projects like “Born 1982, Kim Ji Young” and now “The Silent Sea.” He said, “It’s not that I’m purposefully avoiding romance. That’s just how it became. Rather than looking at the size of the role when it comes to casting offers, I naturally gravitate toward projects where we can plan things out together. I don’t know if I’m greedy for these types of roles, but I think that I want to communicate with people. That’s why I acted according to my emotions and instincts. I want to say something to people, but rather than saying something like, ‘I’m this kind of person. I want to be this kind of person,’ I’m an actor, so I join projects that share that message with the audience. I’m not avoiding or gravitating toward a specific genre or anything like that.”

He shared how the environmental message of “The Silent Sea” impacted his daily life, saying, “When I shower in the winter, I turn on the water for a bit before stepping inside, but after this drama, I started turning off the taps more. I’ve heard fans tell me the same thing. I’m grateful for people who shared those stories with me.”

gong-yoo-2.jpeg

more

https://www.soompi.com/article/1506331wpp/gong-yoo-talks-about-split-responses-to-the-silent-sea-his-squid-game-appearance-and-more

• Thanks 1

<The Silence Sea> bts & cast New Year's greetings  cast

Swoon Netflix IG posted Jenga with <The Silence Sea>

Only survivors Dr Song & Dr Hong and Luna if a S2 coming up then it will be whole new castings except Bae Donna will be 

• Like 1

Soompi Forums Awards: The best k-dramas of 2021? Please vote!

Now is your chance to show your love for your favorite dramas of 2021. In the Soompi Forums Awards poll you can vote for the dramas you liked the most last year. :kiss_wink:

Which dramas will be the winners?

winner-icegif-9.gif

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon @confusedheart @agenth @Sleepy Owl

• 11 months later...