[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Promise keepers/ Chinese bestiary/Guardians of the ancient oath 山海经之上古密约

pad-hari

10 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

Meng YiFeng are childhood friends. MY was  I quote Protect Hongyi’s Min because she was Princess Lang. Once you catch up to where I am we can talk more about it @tulip06

Got to there now, I think! 

Spoiler

She's dumped her Yo Bros.

@unnisarah I’m on 27 now.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hongshuo x Hongyi shipper here to explain how I see Hongyi's feelings for Hongshuo. 

1 Unlike Hongshuo who loves Hongyi from the beginning of the show and openly shows his care and affection for her, Hongyi's love is more subtle and develops throughout the show. At the start of the show and during the time when they lived in the the Baili household, I do think that Hongyi does view her relationship with Hongshuo as a brother/family because they are usually together most of the time and she is used to his presence. From conversations in the show, she used to follow the older brother and the father around and focused her more of her attention on them, while Hongshuo was the one following her around. Her views of him seems to be stuck as the young boy he was when they first met and the younger brother who follows her around. Then when they went to Li City, Hongyi started to noticed how mature Hongshuo was as well as noticed that him as a man instead of as boy. This is especially evident when Hongshuo gave her the obsidian stone and stood close behind her. At first she didn't notice his presence, then she became self conscious and nervous when she noticed how close together they were. At Li City, she continued to interact and observe different part of him that she didn't noticed before or had never saw before since they weren't always together like usual.Their relationship during this period in public were also different since most people didn't know Hongyi's real identity. She might have develop feelings that were more than family at this time. When she had to leave Li City, Hongxuan noticed that she was constantly talking about Hongshuo which showed how much she unconsciously was thinking more about him. This separation caused Hongyi to realize how much she missed Hongshuo as shown when she hugged him after they reunite at the Baili household and at Ye Feng's tent. Episode 24 is when she just started to accept Hongshuo's feelings for her and her feelilngs for Hongshuo as romantic. Then she remembers her memories and her feelings are on paused as she's still conflicted though she definitely still cares about him. 

2 Hongyi care's a lot about family (probably since she lost her real parents) so when Hongshuo implies romantic love she tries to deflect that he's talking about sibling/family love or implies that it's just a joke. 

3 Hongyi is a bit of a tsundere and her action speaks louder than her words. For example, when Hongshuo is leaving for Li City she acts nonchalant as though she doesn't care that he's leaving. However, we and Hongshuo learned that she followed him. Another example is in episode 24, where she drinked poison for Hongshuo and was willing to die with him, but won't admit to worrying about him. 

People who think Hongyi only views her relationship with Hongshuo as a brother/family takes her words too seriously and upfront while not paying to her body language and actions that often contradicts her words. In the newest episodes they are in an angsty period, but I can't wait to see how their relationship will further develop and hope it will end happily.

Sorry to all Ye Feng and Hongyi shippers but here's a funny comment I saw about the two of them.

They're both adult age and probably at most ten years apart in the drama but visually they do kinda appear like this.

I'm not a MYF/HY shipper, but it's not because I think they look incompatible. Yes, MYF might be close in age to "da ge" and if he's older, prob not by much. 

Watching the latest episodes, I feel that MYF's feelings for HY/LR are deep and complex. It's love but almost like the familial kind because of his background. It makes a lot of sense that he's protective of HY, but it makes less to me for him to have romantic feelings for her. If anything, it woulda made more sense for him to have a strong attachment for and romantic/adoring feelings towards Princess Na Cheng, HY's mom lol (but he seemed like a tween then).

MYF actor, Zheng Kai, is '86er and he looks a lil bit younger than his actual age. He just has one of those mature faces and has probably looked like that for a long time lol. 

Song Zu Er is 21 and has that cute chipmunk face. So she IS young and is gonna look younger than her actual age for a long time. Especially if her roles ask her to play a spoiled young miss. She has been paired up with Xu Hai Qiao in The Dark Lord and he's an '83er lol. But XHQ also kind of has a young, pretty face. 

One thing I noticed about HY/LR is that her character is the least capable at expressing her true feelings :mellow:. Like, really... nearly all the dudes on the show are better than her at being vulnerable lol. I know there's a young hip word for that (oh, tsundere?), but I'm old and we call that being emotionally immature lol. 

Anyone catched up to the latest raw episodes? I know they're supposed to be young and unexperience, but that was one of the worst plan I have ever seen. Thank goodness for the sister in law for stepping in. It's painful watching Hongshuo do so much stupid stuff, but thankfully he seems to regain some sense in the newest episode.

I wonder why 

Spoiler

Ling Jun killed off Purple Bird aka JinYang's husband, Eldest Baili, when she and Jin Yang are close friends, and Ling Jun clearly loves Jin Yang and knows this would really upset her?

10 minutes ago, tulip06 said:

I wonder why 

Hide contents

Ling Jun killed off Purple Bird aka JinYang's husband, Eldest Baili, when she and Jin Yang are close friends, and Ling Jun clearly loves Jin Yang and knows this would really upset her?

Spoiler

Ling Jun is just using Jinyang to awaken Hongxuan's power. Athough Ling Jun does seems to care about Jinyang as a friend too, she overall priorities awakening the main character's powers. Both Ling Jun and the guy with the white cloak are working together to awaken the Baili member's power while Ling Jun and the wolf tribe priest are working together to awaken Ye Feng's power. Also if you watched episode 34, Hongxuan's not dead. I don't think Ling Jun and the white cloak guy wants any of the main character to die, but awakening their powers seem to involve the characters getting into trouble and dealing with bad situations.

2 hours ago, Hongshuofan said:

I think it's going to be only two more weeks until this show ends. 

I found a character relationship chart, anyone knows what it says? 

NiukhYG.jpg

What ??? Just two weeks so disappoiting . The drama is so slow they better show up how the ML &FL master their powers . But just two weeks are not enough to cover all details 

33 minutes ago, even so said:

What ??? Just two weeks so disappoiting . The drama is so slow they better show up how the ML &FL master their powers . But just two weeks are not enough to cover all details 

I think all the guys have awakened their powers but haven't learned how to use it. Meanwhile Hongyi still didn't awakened her powers yet. From an episode preview, either she finally got her powers in episode 36 or she got possessed.

1 hour ago, Hongshuofan said:

I think all the guys have awakened their powers but haven't learned how to use it. Meanwhile Hongyi still didn't awakened her powers yet. From an episode preview, either she finally got her powers in episode 36 or she got possessed.

Whatever makes her less boring.

12 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

show pacing is incredibly problematic...30ish episodes and we don't know why the big bad is the big bad and the real identity of the heroes and what makes them special :thumbsdown:

I’m not even clear who is the big bad. Is it the Queen Mum and He Yao? That creepy general who seems to agree with Ming Yifeng to his face but always side eyes him behind his back? Or his dad, the former Lang PM? Other than He Yao who is corrupt, none of these people seem to be doing anything except playing politics, so “bad” is a point of view.

Also, actor playing Ming Yifeng seems super middle-aged, like in his 40s.

@crackaddict I just saw your post, and realized we see MYF very differently!

7 hours ago, crackaddict said:

hahaha @tulip06

re: MYF, perhaps our perspectives are informed by our age? are you in ur 20s? I'm not. Just a thought. Or maybe it's because I also spend a lotta time with ppl in their 30s who haven't aged well lmaooooo. btw, they said it themselves not me! 

I’m much older than that. MYF looks like someone in his 30s who hasn’t aged well to me, now that you mention it.

On 3/6/2020 at 8:08 PM, crackaddict said:

show pacing is incredibly problematic...30ish episodes and we don't know why the big bad is the big bad and the real identity of the heroes and what makes them special :thumbsdown:

You might want to rewatch episode 1, because the basic plot of the whole drama was laid out there. The backstory was that there was a 9 headed monster, five elemental gods fought against it, and it was defeated by sealing it inside the god with the earth element. One thousand years later, all the elemental gods are reincarnated? as the main characters. I think the reincarnation of the earth god also means the return of the eight headed monster that was sealed inside, which is why the main characters need to regain their powers to defeat the monster again. 

@tulip06 The opening is The Millennium Covenant by Huo Zun or 千年之约 by 霍尊. I also love this song especially since it's also the Hongshuo x Hongyi couple song. All of the songs in this series are really good. Here's a list of the songs in chinese if anyone else wants to find them listed by the singer and then the name of the song:

1. 武艺 - 遇见才知流年匆忙 (the ending song)
  2. 妙静鸥 - 花开处有你 (the song that played during Hongxuan and Jinyang's wedding)
  3. 王铮亮 - 听弦断 ( the song that played when Hongyi revealed her identity as Li Ruo)
  4. 方圆 - 梨花 (the song that played in this trailer)

The series reached 2 billion views/streams?

UxWd3O6.jpg

Nah, I'm not gonna go all the way back to episode 1! lol! I really appreciate you reiterating the basics. In fact, it did not occur to me that the main leads were the reincarnation of the gods. It's not enough for me to just insert the leading actors into the important roles. So far, I haven't seen anything special or extraordinary about any of them. Unless, I missed another episode?

The entire time I was wondering why there's a shady woman in red who is kind of a friend, but also not a friend casually walking around. And then there is the shady dude in beige that needs to comb his hair and seems like he transmigrated from another drama about demons. Sigh. I feel that I've given the series enough benefit of the doubt. I'm not even a super critical audience member lol. I'm sticking around because I've already watched 30+ episodes.

Last six episodes this week. Hopefully it will have a good ending. All I want is for Hongshuo and Hongyi to makeup and stay alive at the end. I'm super happy at the sweet scene they had from today's episode and the new poster the show's weibo released of the two of them.

PEifW6I.jpg

Archived