[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Promise keepers/ Chinese bestiary/Guardians of the ancient oath 山海经之上古密约

pad-hari

On 3/2/2020 at 1:13 AM, UnniSarah said:

Bai Yi’s cold treatment to Meng Yi Feng is really getting on my nerve. Why does she still hate him??? I hope their relationship gets better please. :tears::tears: I really hate loving a couple that will never be. I can’t seem to stop wanting Meng YiFeng getting the girl. :tears::tears::sweatingbullets:

I don't actually want this couple, tbh.  For one, shes not interested & second Meng Yi Feng has been very questionable in the way he has treated her.  Like say for example in how  he's forcibly kidnapped her more than once, & confined her mobility.  That is a big red flag and watching it felt like  I was suffocating.     

Third, she's been told her entire life (indoctrinated into) hating the wolf clan (who also killed her parents) 

On 3/2/2020 at 4:01 PM, tulip06 said:

Aren't they brother and sister?  I don't know for sure, though.  I'm just starting 23.

Hong Yi  and Meng Feng are like Hong Shuo & Hong Yi.  Adoptive siblings if you will.  & I really hope there is no relationship between either of them.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My take on this is more political, so I don't really care about relationships, & I can forgive most bad edits -  I want to see what this says politically wise.  (Note: everything is political to me, like every piece of media we watch is not only shaping our world view whether we want it to or not, it's also a social microscope)

Hong Yi indeed was a brat, but is fiercely loyal and brave.  I like the transition of her from a spoiled rich kid (also an orphan, but note how she was complaining about Jin Yang being an orphan) to a more mature version of her self,

Hong Shuo is kind of one dimensional (thankfully he has Wu Lei playing him) but also his character does make sense with in the context of the medium.  He's also a spoiled rich kid who's been safe at home for most of his life & when something shakes his entire world view (hence those scenes) so I don't fault him for that, like we all don't come from the same place .  The thing he has for is sister is really weird though, 

Hong Xuan is a character I can understand somewhat but also I kinda dislike him.  Yes he's also aloof, but loyal to his family & country & highly mistrustful (as we can see of his treatment of his new bride) You can see this mistrust in HongYi as well.  I mean Im aware that he has to suck up to these awful royals  who are already against him & do their bidding (even having to marry by their decree) otherwise he puts his whole family in jeopardy, & he really does not speak eloquently enough & makes things worse for himself .  

It's kind of funny to me how they were all offended at him having to be a marquis from a prince (like he still is very wealthy with a ton of servants AND still a place at the courts) Look at in contrast how Hou Zheng Ze's family lives

How the Emperor & his mom are absolute hypocrites & completely useless (I mean I'm aware that they serve a function to the supernatural in this story - however that doesn't take away from the political messages )  Especially with regards to He Yao.  & the thought of kings being all "This country is mine!" When it's the people that are the ones who the country belong to.  You can't have a country without people, but you can have one without a king.

Then if we look at the Nomadic people, they have similar contradictions within their royalty.  (I wont say much more than that as to avoid spoilers)  

Has it been said why the two groups are fighting?  is it just over resources? 

I think that's all I have to say for now.  

19 hours ago, UnniSarah said:

@bluesytb The wolf clan did not kill her parents. It was the people who killed her parents because she was mixed. 

Which people?  I was under the impression that because Of her adopted father denying entry into You Kingdom, they couldn't escape death from the wolf clan or people adjacent to it. 

Tbh, even if it wasn't the wolf clan directly, this has been the story for most of her life.  

8 hours ago, tulip06 said:

@bluesytb re the mobility restriction 

I agree. I found it suffocating too.  I think that's where I started to dislike MYF, when I felt "meh" about him.

Yeah same.  

So far, (I think I'm at 34?) My thoughts are that It's an interesting piece of media.  Perfect?  Hardly,  Well written? eh, sometimes it's alright other times it's ???  It'll be interesting to see where they take it.  There's definitely stuff to think about from it, & there are interesting dynamics so we shall see, I guess.     

I watched to ep 44. Everything is kind of meh. HY/LR didn't get cool action scenes as the dudes. That disappointed me. 

Jinyang's arc was quite moving and very demonstrative of an unhealthy obsession. Some of the things that characters did in the last few episodes make no sense. 

Spoiler

Like MYF said he could understand why da ge could kill his wife, but then said it's not okay for Hong Shuo to kill his friend. 

okay... it's not okay to kill ur wife or ur friend?? the writer's are messed up. that's some misogyny there. 

why did An Ting Feng bother giving Jinyang her human appearance back if she was gonna be forced to show up like a bird anyway? This guy is also kind of a major a$$hole. 

and finally, so LJ...still don't know what teams she's on. Just know she likes to inappropriately smirk when ppl are hurting.

9 hours ago, crackaddict said:

I watched to ep 44. Everything is kind of meh. HY/LR didn't get cool action scenes as the dudes. That disappointed me. 

Jinyang's arc was quite moving and very demonstrative of an unhealthy obsession. Some of the things that characters did in the last few episodes make no sense. 

Hide contents

Like MYF said he could understand why da ge could kill his wife, but then said it's not okay for Hong Shuo to kill his friend. 

okay... it's not okay to kill ur wife or ur friend?? the writer's are messed up. that's some misogyny there. 

why did An Ting Feng bother giving Jinyang her human appearance back if she was gonna be forced to show up like a bird anyway? This guy is also kind of a major a$$hole. 

and finally, so LJ...still don't know what teams she's on. Just know she likes to inappropriately smirk when ppl are hurting.

Hmm, now that I know, I’m not sure I want to finish. I don’t like this treatment of the character for which I’m basically watching the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish there's a season 2.. :( it didnt show what happened with the Langs tribe..and how come  baili haohe still the Emperor until the end? he's just a  puppet made of a demon. Its a great movie... But a sad endings though. :(:(:(

Archived