[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2020] The Promise keepers/ Chinese bestiary/Guardians of the ancient oath 山海经之上古密约

pad-hari

The Promise Keepers Horizontal Poster

Chinese Title: 山海经之上古密约 / Shan Hai Jing Zhi Shang Gu Mi Yao
Broadcast Network: Hunan TV
Broadcast Website: Mango TV, iQIYI

Broadcast Date: February 10, 2020      

Air Time:  2 episodes every Sunday to Tuesday
End: March 30, 2020
Language: Mandarin
Episodes: 45
Director: Hu Yaozhi
Production Company: Mango Excellent Media, Mango Entertainment, Run Play
Production Date: 2019
Producer: Zhang Yuehua
Origin: China

Film Location : Beijing
Source: Loosely inspired by the Classic of Mountains and Seas (山海经)

Cr: Chinesedrama.info

Plot synopsis:

The drama takes place in the ancient times and follows the lives of three siblings. It is a story of self-sacrifice and the joint effort of the five senses, gold, wood, water, fire, earth which sought justice and destroyed the demon. Together they fulfilled the promise to defend the world made thousands of years ago.

The Da You Kingdom was founded by the Bai Li family and coexisted with the Lang tribe across the mountains. When the emperor and the prince died successively, the emperor’s young son, Bai Li Hao He is left to the throne. When the monk Hao He was young, he was assisted by his mother in court matters. Although they are sons of the late prince, Bai Li Hong Xuan and Bai Li Hong Shuo, are loyal to the young emperor. Hong Xuan has also repeatedly won military exploits to keep the people and the kingdom safe.

However, the Empress Dowager was influenced by court officials, and still feared the two brothers. And although the young emperor trusted and used the assistance of his brothers, he was also weak and feared their power.

At the same time, Ming Ye Feng, the new leader of the Lang tribe, discovers the true identity of Bai Li Hong Yi, daughter of King Ping Yuan. Her existence threatens the Bai Li tribe.

Cast & Characters:

Wu Lei  

Wu Lei 吴磊 as Bai Li Hong Shuo 百里鸿烁
He pleasantly wields his sword and sets foot to the mountains and seas, fighting against the knights who turn the tide, destroying evil.

Song Zu Er  

Song Zu Er 宋祖儿 as Bai Li Hong Yi 百里鸿熠
Free spirited in nature, she lives with her emotions on her sleeve and is heroic.

Kenny Wang Jun Kai  

Wang Jun Kai 王俊凯 as Bai Li Hao He 百里昊和
He has a naive and honest appearance, he is a monarch.

Guo Jun Chen  

Guo Jun Chen 郭俊辰 as Hou Zheng Ze 侯正则
A soldier of Zhou State. In his past life he was a loyal partner to Shui Zheng Xuan Ming.

Zhang Ling Xin  

Zhang Ling Xin 张龄心 as Ling Jun 凌君
Hot spirited and full of energy.

Drama Posters:

The Promise Keepers Still 1   The Promise Keepers Still 2  

Trailer:

OSTs:

Coming Soon...

Additional Links:

Coming Soon....

RULES of SOOMPI
Don't post any requests for subs! Anything unrelated to the drama plot is considered spamming. Don't quote images. Due to the copyright/legal problems, no illegal streaming links will/should be posted on this thread as there had been major crackdowns going on lately. Any complaints about any streaming links will be counted as spam and will be reported to the mods.Any complaints of the respective companies such as Viki, youtube, etc. should be reported to the respective companies instead of posting your complaints here. Those who are caught breaking the Soompi posting rules more than 5 times will have their ID/IDs reported to the mods. Those who are caught promoting/posting illegal streaming links with subs (those without permission from the original subbers and doesn't have copyrights like Viki, Dramafever or Crunchyroll) will have their ID reported to the mods for endangering Soompi to legal issues for illegal streaming sites promotions. PLEASE GIVE CREDIT TO WHERE CREDIT IS DUE!

For any Issues and Abuse
Please report to moderators 
@angelangie l LavelyShai

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read on weibo that this series is basically a homework assignment for the students of the Beijing Film Academy. Not only are the leads from BFM, but also the entire crew. A tag on how bad the editing is is trending on weibo, and comments are saying the ones who did the editing should not be able to graduate lol. 

I watched the first two episodes, and I liked it. The story is confusing since it's still unfolding but I'm interested in the happenings of a lot of the characters. I do agree that the editing can sometimes be distracting though. 

This drama has been liscensed by several streaming sites. The sites are region restricted so you will need to check each site to see if it's available in your country

All sites have the drama under the title Guardians of the Ancient Oath. 

iQIYI App-English subs 

Viki: https://www.viki.com/tv/36968c-guardians-of-the-ancient-oath

China Zone YouTube Channel Playlist:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLtt_YYUGi1gUakEt9-w9YfskCaHBrRlOy

So far, only iQIYI App has episodes that are fully subbed in English. Hopefully we will see subbed episodes at the other sites soon. 

@pad-hari  This drama is under the title Guardians of the Ancient Oath at 3 liscensed streaming sites. Could you please add this title to the main title of the forum along with the other titles of Promise Keepers and chinese Beastiary? I think that will help people find this forum. Thanks!

I watched a few more episodes and yeah, there are some obvious issues with the directing, camera work, and script. The camera would randomly zoom in on the characters face for a few seconds after supposedly something important said, it's really weird and distracting. Also, I don't know if Lareina's character is supposed to be a brat or just dumb/very naive. She is constantly making some very questionable decisions, like going to beat up an ambassador,  tailing someone in an empty village ten steps behind, and not showing more caution to a general from a warring tribe that knows who she is. Seriously, she just turns her back to walk away from him after a temper tantrum in an empty village... :huh:

Right now I am most invested in the storyline of the general from the warring tribe, and the real identity of Lareina's character. 

8 hours ago, Table122000 said:

@pad-hari  This drama is under the title Guardians of the Ancient Oath at 3 liscensed streaming sites. Could you please add this title to the main title of the forum along with the other titles of Promise Keepers and chinese Beastiary? I think that will help people find this forum. Thanks!

Done.  

Yeah, heard it's BFA students project. Even though they are not upto the level,  let's keep the hopes up, encourage them and list out the mistakes done by them.  They r not pros.  Who knows? Maybe a future BJH is there hiding in that team.  Jaiyou!!!!

One of the osts played, I like the song and it has such a romantic title and lyrics. :wub:

Also, I read that this series is a homework assignment for extra credits that was filmed during winter break. Wu Lei and Lareina were on set for a month, while Wang Jun Kai was there for only three days. Maybe this series was a rush job hence the overall meh post production values. :sweatingbullets:

I'm on ep 9 now. Song Zu Er is indeed good at acting a bratty little miss...which more than one character on the show mentions lol. What I found interesting is how come the Baili siblings have so few friends?? Jinyang is very attractive and I'm hoping for her marriage with big bro to warm up. 

I feel that the world scenario is interesting, but the show is hard to follow because I don't know the rules of the world. Like, why are there demons? Is this show not a political intrigue? Wait...now there are past lives being mentioned? 

I like the show, but I could do with fewer Lareina scenes.  I don't care much for her character.  Also, are we getting fauxcest with her and Leo Wu's character since her character was adopted and the two seem sort of obsessed with each other?

I love Jinyang and want more of her story.  Just starting episode 6.

5 hours ago, tulip06 said:

I like the show, but I could do with fewer Lareina scenes.  I don't care much for her character.  Also, are we getting fauxcest with her and Leo Wu's character since her character was adopted and the two seem sort of obsessed with each other?

I love Jinyang and want more of her story.  Just starting episode 6.

Yeah, we're getting faux-cest and star-crossed lovers with Leo and Lareina's storyline. :lol: She's clueless to his feelings at the moment and sees him purely as her little brother, but he obviously doesn't see her as a sibling. Even the general was like, you really don't understand what your younger brother is thinking when she declares that they're just close siblings. :lol:

Female lead is annoying. She was doing same thing in another drama. She has only one mode in acting. frentic. The reason TIGER born people is not good for drama is that their mode of business is energy. They cant act nuances. Their strength is power.  Ideal for fighting but lacks all other emotions except being angry. 

Best Lead actress signs for wuxia is rabbit ( princess agent female lead)  , Dragon , Rooster , Sheep. Dog is good for romance drama as they like winning argument . Ox is for comedy ( dr cutie female lead).  Horse sign is good  romance and fight but innocent.(horse is one of the sign wants not corrupted by society and wants to be original and innocent).

Monkey is worst as actor and actress in a drama but somehow they get through and make drama very bland. Monkey drama and dog based drama always rely on plot twist. Their strength is solving complex riddles. Basically their strength is intelligence but cowardice.

i could say everything about every sign. For me two best Female lead sign is Rabbit and Sheep.

^^ I've never seen close siblings of the opposite sex act like those two <_<. The way HS looks at HY totally give away his feelings. When the sister in law was picking out fabric for the family, it's pretty clear that HY only had HS in her thoughts... it's a good thing big bro has a wife to watch out for him! I'm pretty curious what kind of skills and talents HY actually has since she's not well versed in ladies' areas and can't quite contribute to the military and government like her brothers. This character kind of reminds me of Yu Ran in Novoland: Eagle Flag. 

I'm on episode 15 and still don't really understand the world in the drama. I'm basically just watching during my skincare routine and when I sit down to eat lol. 

As others have said, the editing is pretty choppy, but I'm mainly watching it for HongShuo - he's very charismatic. I'd say he's carrying most of the show at the moment. The other better actors are the villains - the young emperor is pretty compelling. I kind of like the Lang Tribe general too.

I'm on episode 24 and BHY's storyline is finally getting somewhere! In all honesty, for her rn particular, it's kinda better that her identity turned out to be what it is. I'm still waiting to see how the brothers clean up this whole situation.

Honestly, I feel there is so much going on in this show that it's hard to root for any team... you never know who is gonna turn out to be a foe!

On 2/12/2020 at 10:26 AM, crackaddict said:

I just started watching out of boredom. Only on episode 2. The tone is awfully somber and dark. The Empress Dowager needs to take a step back lol and the young king doesn't feel as trusting and naive as his spoken words and actions. 

I don’t trust him a all. I feel he isn’t the puppet but his mom is. Lol lol @crackaddict 

On 2/23/2020 at 10:06 AM, Sejabin said:

Still at ep 2. Not really understand about the story. Why this should happened and everything.. but I keep continue hahaha

It's starts clarifying more by episode 13-16.  There's around 50 in total.  I bet it could have been cut down to 20.

Archived