Too shy to dance, but want to.

kimchicecream

I want to hear personal stories about learning to dance.  I've been wanting to dance for a while, especially after I'm done this big work project since I'll be able make time for it.  But, I think I need to nourish some intrinsic motivation to do it.  I do like body movements and I have a couple of songs that really get me going, but somehow, in my life, I haven't really progressed into it besides the rare cathartic experience when I put up my tune as I am home alone.

How about you all?  Have you gone through a similar experience?  Please share!

• 2 weeks later...

I get terrible stage fright so I don't like to dance in front of people. But I find if you get a friend or two to dance with that problem is solved over time. If it's the quality you are concerned about, then try to learn simple steps for each genre of music you like. You don't need to be an expert to have fun. Just feel the music and just react to it. Dance is one of those things that the dancing looks better if you are enjoying what you are doing. Just dance, and over time your confidence will get built up.

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve always liked dancing but like you, was always shy about it. I just don’t feel confident in my “dancing” abilities :joy:

Have you tried taking dance classes? Some gyms offer it and I’ve done hip hop classes before. It’s a great workout and you’re not really performing in front of people. There’s an instructor that teaches you the moves through the class. It’s so much fun and I definitely recommend starting there if that’s an option where you live. 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • SC2019 locked this topic

Archived