[Upcoming Drama TBA] Signal 2, 시그널 2

larus

3 hours ago, larus said:

Kim Eun-hee emphasized her determination to produce Signal Season 2, mentioning that actors from the previous season have shown great expectation and willingness to participate in the sequel.

This is so nice to hear 🥹 I really hope that all the original cast can join again. Would be fun to even have Kim Min-Kyu return 😂 I don't want Signal season 2 to end up like Save Me season 2 where basically only the name was the same.... gosh was I disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

At long last! After 8 years! Kim Eun Hee has been talking about this for so many years, but this time, it looks like we will finally see it! Please bring back our original intrepid trio too! I would love to see how S2 unfolds, especially since the J-adaptation already diverged from canon with the 2021 movie. So thrilled and can't wait! :hwaiting::hooray2:

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

by Lily Alice, March 14, 2024
60 59

The tvN thriller Signal is finally returning for Season 2 after about eight years.

On March 14, writer Kim Eun Hee's (RevenantJirisanKingdomSignalagency, Media Lab Seeso, announced, "Writer Kim Eun Hee is currently working on the script for Signal 2."

On March 13, writer Kim attended an event held at La Sapienza University in Rome, Italy, along with Jang Won Seok, CEO of B.A. Entertainment. It was during the event that CEO Jang officially announced, "We are preparing Season 2 of the drama Signal together with writer Kim Eun Hee," a fact later confirmed by the writer's agency.  

Signal is a mystery thriller that aired on tvN in 2016. The K-drama tells the story of detectives from the past and present solving long-unsolved cases by communicating with each other through a mysterious radio. Starring Lee Je HoonKim Hye Soo, and Jo Jin Woong, Signal recorded a high viewership rating of 12.5% (nationwide). 

602eNg_2f.png

https://mydramalist.com/article/tvn-hit-drama-signal-renewed-for-season-2-official

• Like 2

Signal will be reconnecting with a second season

by solstices

NISI20210729_0000798178_web.jpg?rnd=2021

Good things come to those who wait, because nearly a decade after the beloved first season of Signal, writer Kim Eun-hee has finally confirmed that a sequel is in the works. This exciting piece of news comes almost exactly eight years after Signal successfully wrapped up its run, with a finale episode that broke tvN’s records and recorded the highest-ever viewership up till then.

It’s been a long time coming for loyal fans of the crime thriller-fantasy, which captivated viewers with its compelling plot and cemented its place in pop culture with its iconic time-warp walkie-talkies. “As long as one doesn’t give up, there’s hope,” was the wise adage the show left us with, and these words have now come full circle. Having left off on a cliffhanger, Signal has plenty of avenues through which it could continue its tale. Perhaps it’d like to retrace the steps that led to its nail-biting conclusion, filling in the gaps that left us on the edge of our seats with suspense. Or perhaps it might branch off with an entirely new mystery, throwing unforeseen curveballs at our heroes as they race against time once again. Either way, I’m looking forward to rekindling the magical nostalgia of this beloved series.

Nothing concrete has been confirmed yet with regards to casting, which is understandable given that it was one of the core reasons for the prolonged delay. It’s no small feat to regroup a cast of powerhouse actors like Jo Jin-woong, Kim Hye-soo, and Lee Je-hoon, and their schedules have only gotten busier in the years since. With the renowned acclaim backing the Signal title, it wouldn’t hurt to open up the doors of opportunity to fresh faces — though for many viewers, the characters of Signal are practically synonymous with the actors who portrayed them with such deft nuance and earnest emotion.

While we eagerly await more news on the much-anticipated second season, perhaps it would be fun to imagine who could potentially succeed these roles, or wax poetic about the love we hold for the original cast. As for me, I’ll be yelling my heart out from the mountaintops: Signal sequel!!

602eNg_2f.png

Via Newsis

https://www.dramabeans.com/2024/03/signal-will-be-reconnecting-with-a-second-season/

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
by Lily Alice, May 20, 2024
13 9

On the morning of May 20 (local time), Lee Je Hoon conducted an interview with local reporters in Jongno-gu, Seoul. During the interview, he talked about the recently concluded MBC drama Chief Detective 1958 and his upcoming projects.  

Set in an era of chaos, Chief Detective 1958 tells the story of Detective Park Young Han (Lee Je Hoon), who, unable to see human dignity being trampled upon, joins forces with three colleagues to shatter the corrupt authority. 

Chief Detective 1958 is a prequel to Chief Inspector. Lee Je Hoon played the protagonist, Detective Park Young Han.

Chief Detective 1958 concluded successfully with a nationwide rating of 10.6%. Given that Lee Je Hoon not only played the young Park Young Han but also appeared as his grandson Park Jun Seo, fans can't help but wonder if there will be a second season. When asked about the possibility of Season 2, Lee Je Hoon responded, "I have my expectations as well, but the decision is not mine to make. Our drama ... feels complete as a prequel and a standalone story." 

1wz0Jb_2f.png

Having often played righteous characters, Lee Je Hoon explains why he continues to choose such roles despite his on-screen characters being seen as predictable, saying, "I instinctively feel that the stories people are interested in and want to see are about justice and retribution. People in the world desire poetic justice and retribution. Since society doesn't always provide that, they want catharsis and relieve stress by watching such works. This is why I think people love and seek out such works, and I am naturally drawn to them as well. ... At the same time, I often think that I need to show more diverse sides of myself and not be confined to a single type [of role]." 

Talking about his busy schedule, Lee Je Hoon jokingly remarked, "I'm grateful that I have dramas lined up one after another, so there is no room for new projects in my schedule until next year. Maybe that's why I'm not receiving new offers. I think I can reschedule and push back Taxi Driver Season 3 a bit," he quipped. 

Recently, writer Kim Eun Hee announced that she had started working on the script of Season 2 of the tvN hit thriller Signal. When asked if he would be joining Signal Season 2, Lee Je Hoon responded, "I heard that writer Kim Eun Hee is working on the script." "haven't heard about the casting of other actors [from Season 1], but if they do it, I will join as well,and joked, "She wouldn't write the script excluding me, right? I'm waiting for it,he said jokingly. 

Lee Je Hoon will next be seen on the big screen in the movie Escape. He is also preparing to commence the shooting for his new K-drama, The Art of Negotiation. 

https://mydramalist.com/article/lee-je-hoon-responds-to-whether-he-will-return-for-signal-season-2

• Blob 1

Thb, he is righ; the first story can stand on its own. I still hope the OG cast will return because their acting was perfect for the tone of the story. A new set of actors will have very big shoes to fill!

• 1 month later...
by lo_ve, July 16, 2024
6 3

Director Ahn Tae Jin will direct the upcoming new season of Signal.

On July 16, it was officially confirmed that director Ahn Tae Jin will be in charge of Signal Season 2. He will work closely with original writer Kim Eun Hee (Revenant, Jirisan, and Kingdom) in the upcoming K-drama. It was also reported that the filming for the second season of Signal will begin at the end of 2024. 

Lee Je Hoon, Kim Hye Soo, and Jo Jin Woong led the first season and according to reports, the actors will also return and continue to star in the second season.

Signal Season 2 will depict its story from the happenings in the first season. Signal revolves around detectives from the past and present who communicate through a walkie-talkie and solve long-term unsolved cases.

BA Entertainment, Studio Dragon and Baram Pictures will produce the upcoming new season.

According to reports, the production team of the new season is coordinating the schedule of actors and staff and will eventually start filming. 

The release date of Signal Season 2 is still under discussion.

eYWgee_2f.jpg

Director Ahn Tae Jin is known for sweeping the awards in different award-giving bodies last year. He received the Best New Director award from the Baeksang Arts Awards, the Korea Film Critics Association Awards, the Grand Bell Awards, and the Blue Dragon Film Awards for his movie The Night Owl. The movie was led by Ryu Jun Yeol, Yoo Hae Jin, Choi Moo Sung, Jo Sung Ha, Park Myung Hoon, and Kim Sung Cheol

The director is also known for being responsible for the cinematography of the films My Friend & His Wife, Driving with My Wife's Lover, and Gangster High.

His debut work was in 2005 through the movie The King and the Clown.

https://mydramalist.com/article/signal-season-2-confirmed-to-be-the-next-project-of-the-night-owl-director-ahn-tae-jin

20240722021230_koo-kyo-hwan-lee-je-hoon-

Koo Kyo Hwan In Talks To Reunite With Lee Je Hoon In “Signal” Season 2

Jul 22, 2024
by J Lee

Koo Kyo Hwan may be collaborating once with Lee Je Hoon in Season 2 of the popular tvN drama “Signal”!

According to a news outlet on July 22, Koo Kyo Hwan has reportedly received the script and is currently reviewing it. In response to the report, Koo Kyo Hwan’s agency, Namoo Actors, confirmed that the actor has received the offer and is currently considering it.

The sequel to tvN’s hit drama “Signal” was officially announced for production earlier this year, following its successful first season in 2016.

“Signal” tells the story of a group of police detectives who use a mysterious radio that can broadcast from the past to solve cold cases. The original series received acclaim for its compelling storyline and strong performances from its cast, including Lee Je Hoon, Jo Jin Woong, and Kim Hye Soo.

If Koo Kyo Hwan accepts the role, it would reunite him with Lee Je Hoon, with whom he starred in the newly released film “Escape.”

Are you excited for Koo Kyo Hwan and Lee Je Hoon’s collaboration?

https://www.soompi.com/article/1675986wpp/koo-kyo-hwan-in-talks-to-reunite-with-lee-je-hoon-in-signal-season-2

by lo_ve, July 22, 2024
4 0

Koo Kyo Hwan will reportedly reunite with Escape co-star Lee Je Hoon

According to various media outlets on July 22, Koo Kyo Hwan will join the cast of the upcoming second season of Signal.

Koo Kyo Hwan's agency Namoo Actors shared their statement regarding the casting reports. According to the agency, "The actor received the offer to appear in Signal Season 2 and he is currently reviewing it."

Signal Season 2 is confirmed to be produced and it was reported that main leads Lee Je Hoon, Kim Hye Soo, and Jo Jin Woong will continue to star in the series. 

If Koo Kyo Hwan decides to join Signal Season 2, this will be his reunion project with Lee Je Hoon. The two starred in the hit film Escape which premiered early this month. Many wish for the two to work again on another project and it might come true a little early with the reports of Koo Kyo Hwan's casting.

Signal Season 2 will depict its story from the happenings in the first season. Signal revolves around detectives from the past and present who communicate through a walkie-talkie and solve long-term unsolved cases.

Director Ahn Tae Jin (The Night Owl) will work alongside original writer Kim Eun Hee (Revenant, Jirisan, and Kingdom) for the upcoming new season of Signal. 

BdDDpb_2f.jpg

After starring in Escape, Koo Kyo Hwan will soon lead the upcoming movie Us and Them. He will work alongside
Mun Ka Young in the romance film. Koo Kyo Hwan will also join the upcoming movie Snowfall and will work with Kim Yoon Seok and Roh Yoon Seo

Koo Kyo Hwan is known for being part of the K-dramas Parasyte: The Grey, Monstrous, D.P., and more. 

Source

https://mydramalist.com/article/koo-kyo-hwan-will-reportedly-work-with-lee-je-hoon-again-for-the-new-season-of-signal

@larus

Thank you for sharing the latest news! Seeing some news say that Koo Kyo Hwan is leading Signal 2 with Lee Je Hoon, I hope this does not mean that Jo Jing Woong and Kim Hye Soo are no longer a part of the sequel. I need the reunion of my intrepid trio!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, liddi said:

Thank you for sharing the latest news! Seeing some news say that Koo Kyo Hwan is leading Signal 2 with Lee Je Hoon, I hope this does not mean that Jo Jing Woong and Kim Hye Soo are no longer a part of the sequel. I need the reunion of my intrepid trio!

I read that all three will be on the drama. We`ll know for sure when we`ll have the whole cast.

On 7/22/2024 at 10:53 AM, larus said:

Signal Season 2 is confirmed to be produced and it was reported that main leads Lee Je Hoon, Kim Hye Soo, and Jo Jin Woong will continue to star in the series. 

• Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...
by lo_ve, August 2, 2024
7 4

Jo Jin Woong briefly talked about the upcoming new season of Signal and his possibility of starring in it once again.

On August 2, media outlets shared the interview of Jo Jin Woong as he talked about his recent K-drama No Way Out: The Roulette as well as his future projects. 

Jo Jin Woong shared that he is currently busy with a project that he is currently producing. He also revealed that he recently talked to Signal writer Kim Eun Hee. The writer stated that no one can replace Jo Jin Woong in the Signal K-drama and it would be weird if he is not part of it. The actor then shared that he asked the writer to not rush writing the script. He also stated that Signal has a special place in his heart and he wants to do the new season before he gets any older. 

Jo Jin Woong is currently starring in the Disney+ original K-drama No Way Out: The Roulette together with Yoo Jae Myung, Kim Mu Yeol, Lee Kwang Soo, Yeom Jung Ah, Choi Myung Bin, and more. 

eYWpyq_2f.jpg

Signal Season 2 is confirmed to be produced and according to various reports, all the main leads including Lee Je Hoon, Kim Hye Soo, and Jo Jin Woong will continue to star in the series. 

The K-drama will depict its story from the happenings in the first season. Signal showcases the journey of detectives from the past and present who communicate through a walkie-talkie and solve long-term unsolved cases.

Director Ahn Tae Jin (The Night Owl) will work alongside original writer Kim Eun Hee (Revenant, Jirisan, and Kingdom) for the upcoming new season of Signal. 

There is no official confirmation yet on the premiere date of Signal Season 2.

https://mydramalist.com/article/jo-jin-woong-talks-about-possibly-returning-to-signal-season-2

• Awesome 1

Is this christmas? I was actually away aka in South Korea and now I'm coming home to all these wonderful news. All the leads are returning? This is too good to be true  @larus Thank you for keeping us updated as always ♥️

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So good to see Signal having spawned various remakes over the years - J-remake Signal: Choki Mikaiketsu Jiken Sosahan (2018, SP and movie 2021); C-remake 时空来电 Unknown Number (2019), Thai remake 23:23 (2023), and now a Hindi remake Gyaarah Gyaarah 11:11 (2024). 

Saw the trailer of the Hindi remake the other day, and the all-too-familiar scenes brings the memories rushing back once more - little Kim Yoonjung's killing and the rush to beat the statute of limitations; the South Gyeongi serial murders and the changing crime scene photos; Cha Soohyun's death in the truck explosion. It appears that only S1 has aired since I am seeing comments clamouring for ZEE5 to release S2 soon, so I presume that what has aired so far is just part of the original Signal drama.

Either way, it is a testament to the powerful narrative of Kim Eun Hee's work that it has inspired so many adaptations over the years. Praying hard that we will see a continuation of that incredible drama some time soon in S2. 

• Like 1

@ChyuuNyuu I know right? It's impressive how the drama has inspired 4 remakes over the course of 8 years.

I rambled about Unknown Number pretty much all by myself on the Unknown Number thread back in the day. I think one of the reasons it fell under the radar is the lack of English subs, which is a real shame, considering the drama is officially available on Youtube and many Cdramas since then do come with official English subs.

The J-remake was available on Netflix in my location for some time and I rambled about the drama and the SP on their respective threads back in the day too.

Haven't seen a Soompi thread for 23:23, but the trailer is subbed, and it is available on Netflix, which should make it far more accessible to international audiences:

Either way, I can't wait for S2 to be finally available. Have not heard much about it since August, but seeing JJW was still busy with a project at the time, I don't imagine that it would actually start filming until at least end of 2024, or 2025. No matter what, at least now we have positive indications that it is underway, giving credence to what LJH and PHY have been telling us all throughout the drama:

"If you don't give up... there is hope."

@liddi thank you for the Thai version!

I didn't know Unknown Number was on YT... I agree that it is probably a lack of English subtitles. I remember waiting for them and then forgetting about it altogether!

I started watching the first episode of the Indian version, and I was disappointed that they changed the first culprit to a man because it was refreshing to see a woman being a murderer in the OG version!

Also, I am a bit scared for Cha Soo-Hyun's character because she is such a great character and I don't want her to take a back seat for the men to shine. I guess I will have to see ...

In general, I hope in S2 we will get more female characters. For me, this is the only weak point of this series.

• Like 1