[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Dreaming Back to the Qing Dynasty 梦回大清

sugarplum892

16 hours ago, RealityDream said:

@taeunfighting 

Spoiler

Reveal hidden contents

I'm sad that there's minimal cute interactions among the two leads for this weeks episode. For Ep 35 & 36 trailer, I noticed Consort De told 4th to kill 13th's wife. Why does Kang Xi or Consort De want her dead? I don't quite understand this. She has nothing to do with the power struggle among the princes. Perhaps she realized this after and chose to poison herself with 13th accompanying her? It also seems like she told 13th that she is not Ming Wei, as shown in Ep 33 and 34 trailers since he was saying how Ming Hui pushed both Ming Wei and her cousin off the hill. 

About the previews for next week...

Spoiler

Looks like the story will get to Kangxi passing away. Without full context, I don't know why Consort De would want 4th prince to kill Xiao Wei. If I were to guess, I speculate it has to do with the succession. In legend, there are rumors that Yongzheng (4th prince) had forged his father's will stating that he is the heir to the throne whereas it actually should have been 14th prince. Historians contested this and it has not been proven true, but I've seen it consistently used as material in many dramas. In this drama though, they may develop a slightly different plot line. Rather it supposedly have been 14th prince, it'll supposed be 13th prince.

If by episode 34, Xiao Wei remembers herself coming from modern day, she may be aware this rumor in the past. 4th prince's later behavior/actions may lead her believe that the rumor is appearing to be true. She isn't the type to just sit back and do nothing so I wonder if she does get involved with the power struggle and ends up needing to be killed to quell the rumor. If 4th prince does obliges his mother's request, I'd be really disappointed, but not surprised based on how I've seen him cruelly depicted in other dramas. Rather, it may turn out to be 14th prince who has true compassion underneath it all as he is not willing to resort and make sacrifices of this level for the sake of the throne.

It seems like Xiao Wei drinks with 4th prince not knowing there's poison in it. Probably a slow-working one. I doubt she would willingly poison herself and part with 13th prince, but we'll see... All I know is that her dying scene will be beautifully set-up with the blossoms and lanterns in their garden (as you previously mentioned), but it will be terribly heart-wrenching knowing that 13th prince will lose her for real this time. Furthermore, not sure how he'll be able cope within the palace if her death is really executed by 4th prince (...unless he'll never know).

P.S. With regards to episode 29 and 30, it was so heartbreaking to see Qi Xiang lose her brother. My heart goes out to her. It's a good thing Xiao Wei and Qi Xiang have each other to rely on. Now I really hope that the grannie will turn out to be Qi Xiang.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, RealityDream said:

? It also seems like she told 13th that she is not Ming Wei, as shown in Ep 33 and 34 trailers since he was saying how Ming Hui pushed both Ming Wei and her cousin off the hill. 

I’m wondering if she told him or he remembered? My biggest question is will he ever remember their love story before losing their memories??

@RealityDream I am still waiting for the subs on episode 21 so I am very behind but I would think it’s because XW has a very strong influence over 4th prince, 13th prince and 14th prince. All are clever, strong and would be major contenders for the throne if they chose to be. Even though XW isn’t interested in the power struggle, she has more influence over these three princes then she knows and more than the king and consort do which is obviously a threat in their eyes. That’s my guess anyways but again, I have a lot to catch up on. Sorry to jump in on your convo too!!

Also, boo to minimal cute interactions between our leads :cry:

This drama has got me thinking quiet a bit so it’s hard to watch without subs. I might just do a quick run over if the unsubbed episode anyways to watch our leads hehe

17 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

About the previews for next week...

Hide contents

Looks like the story will get to Kangxi passing away. Without full context, I don't know why Consort De would want 4th prince to kill Xiao Wei. If I were to guess, I speculate it has to do with the succession. In legend, there are rumors that Yongzheng (4th prince) had forged his father's will stating that he is the heir to the throne whereas it actually should have been 14th prince. Historians contested this and it has not been proven true, but I've seen it consistently used as material in many dramas. In this drama though, they may develop a slightly different plot line. Rather it supposedly have been 14th prince, it'll supposed be 13th prince.

If by episode 34, Xiao Wei remembers herself coming from modern day, she may be aware this rumor in the past. 4th prince's later behavior/actions may lead her believe that the rumor is appearing to be true. She isn't the type to just sit back and do nothing so I wonder if she does get involved with the power struggle and ends up needing to be killed to quell the rumor. If 4th prince does obliges his mother's request, I'd be really disappointed, but not surprised based on how I've seen him cruelly depicted in other dramas. Rather, it may turn out to be 14th prince who has true compassion underneath it all as he is not willing to resort and make sacrifices of this level for the sake of the throne.

It seems like Xiao Wei drinks with 4th prince not knowing there's poison in it. Probably a slow-working one. I doubt she would willingly poison herself and part with 13th prince, but we'll see... All I know is that her dying scene will be beautifully set-up with the blossoms and lanterns in their garden (as you previously mentioned), but it will be terribly heart-wrenching knowing that 13th prince will lose her for real this time. Furthermore, not sure how he'll be able cope within the palace if her death is really executed by 4th prince (...unless he'll never know).

P.S. With regards to episode 29 and 30, it was so heartbreaking to see Qi Xiang lose her brother. My heart goes out to her. It's a good thing Xiao Wei and Qi Xiang have each other to rely on. Now I really hope that the grannie will turn out to be Qi Xiang.

@taeunfighting

Spoiler

Yeah, @A1mm3 is right. Xiao Wei has always know from the beginning that she came from the modern day. She only remember she came looking for someone, but does not know who it is. For 13th, he does not have any memory that he transported through time to modern day. He remembers saying he wants to marry Xiao Wei, but does not know why he said that and does not know who she was. 

I rewatched the trailers. I'm not sure if she has drank it or was stopped by 13th in time. Does it seem to you that 14th prince fell in love with Ming Hui. In Ep 36 before he went to war, it seems so. Ming Hui thinks he marries her because she looks like Ming Wei and its to fulfill his lust for Ming Wei. He once said to her "You still don't know anything." Then after understanding her a bit more, he feels she's just a pity person. 14th has this compassionate side that he kept to himself. He always show or comes off as someone who is cold or doesn't care. 

I can't wait for Ep 38! Ming Hui got locked! Our lead couples can live happily, except, not for long then Ming Wei dies. Why is it always like this? So much struggle for our lead couples. No one is letting them live in piece. I will probably need a box of tissue when Ming Wei dies. 

I wonder if they'll ever answer Ming Wei question, regarding why did she transport in time, whether its to witness the power stuggles or discover a mystery? 

13 hours ago, J13 said:

@RealityDream I am still waiting for the subs on episode 21 so I am very behind but I would think it’s because XW has a very strong influence over 4th prince, 13th prince and 14th prince. All are clever, strong and would be major contenders for the throne if they chose to be. Even though XW isn’t interested in the power struggle, she has more influence over these three princes then she knows and more than the king and consort do which is obviously a threat in their eyes. That’s my guess anyways but again, I have a lot to catch up on. Sorry to jump in on your convo too!!

Also, boo to minimal cute interactions between our leads :cry:

This drama has got me thinking quiet a bit so it’s hard to watch without subs. I might just do a quick run over if the unsubbed episode anyways to watch our leads hehe

They have Ep 21-26 Subbed on youtube. Do you have access to that? 

No no, I don't mind you jumping in. Feel free to jump in anytime. That's what this forum is about. Sharing our thoughts and feelings. 

Initially I was thinking it's because 4th, 13th, and 14th all love Xiao Wei dearly. To prevent the brothers from killing each other, they want to kill the girl. However, after watching the next trailer, I realized my answer was off. =/ 

6 episodes done just like that. I hope they'll air more than just 3 days. It's such a torture, especially next week, leaving the last 2 episodes for the week after. ARGH! 

I ended up skimming through the unsubbed episodes until episode 32 last night and so much is happening at the moment! 

After watching the unsubbed episodes, here are some of my thoughts:

- so looks like the king is aware of XW’s secret identity and is helping. Not sure if he’s doing it because he feels bad, because XW has offered something in return or because he has another agenda though. I really need to learn Chinese lol

- 4th prince’s wife is so loyal, kind and devoted. The third wife is also incredibly sweet and kind. I love that the first and third wife have a good confiding relationship. 
- 14th prince looks like he might actually be falling for MH but I think the feelings have grown out of guilt more than anything. I like that although he is reserved and seems like he would be on the bad side, he always ends up helping 13th prince and XW. I hope him and XW form a good friendship eventually. I also think 14th princes character is one of the characters that has shown the most character growth.
- MH continues to annoy me. I feel like she has done enough that she really needs to be punished for her crimes and not just have a character arc change in the end where she decides to be kind and because of this, she gets away with everything. Like the scenes from the next episode which show she murdered MW.. she needs the death penalty!

- QX broke my heart.. she has grown on me and I can see why some people might think she is the old lady. I really hope she gets a happy ending. Can anyone translate why QX’s brother was imprisoned and what the conversation was between him and the 4th prince was about? Was 4th prince giving him poison?

- I love 13th prince and XW. Their love and devotion to one another is unmatched. It was sad to see 13th unable to walk properly and it broke my heart when he couldn’t save her when she was stuck in the forest but I love that they continue to support and encourage each other. XW building the wheelchair for him was just one of the many reasons why I love her. 

I also can’t stop thinking about the time travel aspect too. Sometimes I think that perhaps XW is just in a coma and dreaming of her past and while she is in a coma, her soul is floating around in the real world (hence why she appeared in apparition form when she died in the past). But then this doesn’t really explain the whole astronomical phenomenon thing because that seems to imply that it is time travel. Plus if she were in a coma then why was the 13th prince in apparition form in her apartment in the real world at the start. So if it’s time travel then why did it only occur when 13th prince was asleep or was he disappearing when he fell asleep and actually appearing in the future sometimes which is why they could physically touch sometimes? If XW retains her memories of the past in the future, then I guess there’s a chance that 13th prince might retain his memories in the future too right? This whole time travel thing seems to have affected them both after all, even though he technically lost his memories of travelling to the future already...so many questions and I’m overthinking again lol but really, what an interesting way to depict time travel.

Also for anyone who knows, are there previews of XW dying in the past or is this what happens in the book? I just feel so bad for 13th prince if he has to lose her again :cry: 

@RealityDream hehe thanks! I can’t help myself when this drama is making me constantly think about it :blush: yep I watched up to episode 24 on YouTube last night but episode 25 and 26 weren’t ready yet. 

Also, after watching the unsubbed episodes, could it be because 13th prince risked his life to save XW (when she was on the horse)? While I think Consort De knew how devoted 13th prince was to XW, it might have been hard for her to actually witness him risk his life for XW right in front of her eyes. Perhaps she doesn’t want to see 4th and 14th prince do the same thing given they are her biological sons? Also doesn’t help that MH is also spouting constant nonsense in her ear. Hard to say though when I haven’t watched the subbed episodes lol

Anyways sorry again all for the super long post!

21 hours ago, A1mm3 said:

She have always known that she came from the future. 

4 hours ago, RealityDream said:

Yeah, @A1mm3 is right. Xiao Wei has always know from the beginning that she came from the modern day. She only remember she came looking for someone, but does not know who it is. For 13th, he does not have any memory that he transported through time to modern day. He remembers saying he wants to marry Xiao Wei, but does not know why he said that and does not know who she was. 

@A1mm3 @RealityDream Maybe you both can enlighten me on this… I actually thought she forgot she teleported from the present ever since she and 13th prince lost their memories by the bridge. I know she eventually realized it was 13th prince she was looking for in the palace, but it seems that’s all she knows based on choppy flashes. Isn't it strange why at that particular moment, she didn’t tell just 13th prince about them falling in love in the present? The credit card, toilet and wheelchair, I thought she knew about them subconsciously.

Plus, in episode 30…

Spoiler

She had a flash of Ming Hui from the present for second then became dizzy. (Similar dizzy spells that occurred when she previously had blurry flashes of 13th prince.)

Maybe she does know she came from the present, but she doesn’t have her full memory yet?

1 hour ago, taeunfighting said:

@A1mm3 @RealityDream Maybe you both can enlighten me on this… I actually thought she forgot she teleported from the present ever since she and 13th prince lost their memories by the bridge. I know she eventually realized it was 13th prince she was looking for in the palace, but it seems that’s all she knows based on choppy flashes. Isn't it strange why at that particular moment, she didn’t tell just 13th prince about them falling in love in the present? The credit card, toilet and wheelchair, I thought she knew about them subconsciously.

Plus, in episode 30…

Hide contents

She had a flash of Ming Hui from the present for second then became dizzy. (Similar dizzy spells that occurred when she previously had blurry flashes of 13th prince.)

Maybe she does know she came from the present, but she doesn’t have her full memory yet?

@taeunfighting

Spoiler

You made a good point! All this time I thought she knew she came from the present. When she saiid, she initially came here to look for someone ... when she transported back on the bus as an illusion after her first death, she knew she was on her usual bus to work...All this time, I thought she just lost memory of who the guy in her dream was. When she made that wheelchair, it looked so present-like. 

It's similar to Scarlet heart, where Ruoxi knew she transported through time, but then adjusted to her life in the ancient times. Maybe that's what Xiao Wei is doing? 

2 hours ago, J13 said:

I ended up skimming through the unsubbed episodes until episode 32 last night and so much is happening at the moment! 

After watching the unsubbed episodes, here are some of my thoughts:

- so looks like the king is aware of XW’s secret identity and is helping. Not sure if he’s doing it because he feels bad, because XW has offered something in return or because he has another agenda though. I really need to learn Chinese lol

- 4th prince’s wife is so loyal, kind and devoted. The third wife is also incredibly sweet and kind. I love that the first and third wife have a good confiding relationship. 
- 14th prince looks like he might actually be falling for MH but I think the feelings have grown out of guilt more than anything. I like that although he is reserved and seems like he would be on the bad side, he always ends up helping 13th prince and XW. I hope him and XW form a good friendship eventually. I also think 14th princes character is one of the characters that has shown the most character growth.
- MH continues to annoy me. I feel like she has done enough that she really needs to be punished for her crimes and not just have a character arc change in the end where she decides to be kind and because of this, she gets away with everything. Like the scenes from the next episode which show she murdered MW.. she needs the death penalty!

- QX broke my heart.. she has grown on me and I can see why some people might think she is the old lady. I really hope she gets a happy ending. Can anyone translate why QX’s brother was imprisoned and what the conversation was between him and the 4th prince was about? Was 4th prince giving him poison?

- I love 13th prince and XW. Their love and devotion to one another is unmatched. It was sad to see 13th unable to walk properly and it broke my heart when he couldn’t save her when she was stuck in the forest but I love that they continue to support and encourage each other. XW building the wheelchair for him was just one of the many reasons why I love her. 

I also can’t stop thinking about the time travel aspect too. Sometimes I think that perhaps XW is just in a coma and dreaming of her past and while she is in a coma, her soul is floating around in the real world (hence why she appeared in apparition form when she died in the past). But then this doesn’t really explain the whole astronomical phenomenon thing because that seems to imply that it is time travel. Plus if she were in a coma then why was the 13th prince in apparition form in her apartment in the real world at the start. So if it’s time travel then why did it only occur when 13th prince was asleep or was he disappearing when he fell asleep and actually appearing in the future sometimes which is why they could physically touch sometimes? If XW retains her memories of the past in the future, then I guess there’s a chance that 13th prince might retain his memories in the future too right? This whole time travel thing seems to have affected them both after all, even though he technically lost his memories of travelling to the future already...so many questions and I’m overthinking again lol but really, what an interesting way to depict time travel.

Also for anyone who knows, are there previews of XW dying in the past or is this what happens in the book? I just feel so bad for 13th prince if he has to lose her again :cry: 

@RealityDream hehe thanks! I can’t help myself when this drama is making me constantly think about it :blush: yep I watched up to episode 24 on YouTube last night but episode 25 and 26 weren’t ready yet. 

Also, after watching the unsubbed episodes, could it be because 13th prince risked his life to save XW (when she was on the horse)? While I think Consort De knew how devoted 13th prince was to XW, it might have been hard for her to actually witness him risk his life for XW right in front of her eyes. Perhaps she doesn’t want to see 4th and 14th prince do the same thing given they are her biological sons? Also doesn’t help that MH is also spouting constant nonsense in her ear. Hard to say though when I haven’t watched the subbed episodes lol

Anyways sorry again all for the super long post!

@J13 No worries! Please don't apologize for long post! I actually enjoy them. :) 

To answer your question, I'll put them below, since they're about episodes that aren't officially aired yet. 

Spoiler

According to future trailer episodes, Consort De wants to kill Xiao Wei, because of Poem that she thought KangXi wrote, saying something like "Xiao Wei is detrimental to our kingdom and must be killed." It turns out Ming Hui was the one that killed KangXi. She tried to use KangXi to kill Xiao Wei. 

All this time, she hated Xiao Wei. The real Xiao Wei was too timid to stand up for her when she was young. She mentioned it was Xiao Wei who wanted to go outside, so she took Xiao Wei, but got in trouble by the mother. She kept thinking if Xiao Wei does not exist, she will be the "real princess." She got jealous when 13th prince loves her, even 14th prince too. 

Interesting enough, Ming Hui's reincarnation as Sister Hui is similar to her old self. They used all tactics to claim the project from Xiao Wei, only to have issues that arise with it after because of their doing. 

There's a scene where she fed him medicine, but he said he doesn't want to drink that. He responded to her question by starting out "I want to eat you....then changed it to (some dish she makes)." I thought that was hilarious. 

3 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Like @RealityDream said, when the meteor shower happened she lost the memories of them but knew she was looking for someone. It was just blurry images that’s why you can’t see 13th prince’s face (one thing always make me flabbergasted is can’t they tell by the voice?:joy:). Anyway, you can tell by some of her thoughts. For example, when the emperor her death sentence and the guard took her away, she  was at the house (not sure if it was abandoned house), looking at the sky and said that the reason she came to the past was to die for her love. I didn’t watch episode 27-29 but skipped to episode 30. MW was talking to MH and MH asked to bet who is going to be the final winner (for the throne) and she bet 14. MW thought to herself that she knows who’s going to be king and there’s no point betting. My Chinese is limited too. 

2 hours ago, RealityDream said:

I don’t understand this time traveling and dreaming. It’s confusing me. I’m not really sure what they’re trying to achieve here. Especially with 13 coming to the future.  

I had asked previously that if Xiao Wei lives in the body of MW then does that mean there is a reincarnated 13 prince in the future that she hasn’t met yet? I’m trying to grasp this parallel world of past and present. The past MW has to die in order for Xiao Wei’s soul to go into her. So does that mean when the future 13 died, the past 13 soul go into the future him? Cuz there’s reincarnated people in the present time. That would be my guess for them to have a HE. 

7 hours ago, A1mm3 said:

Like @RealityDream said, when the meteor shower happened she lost the memories of them but knew she was looking for someone. It was just blurry images that’s why you can’t see 13th prince’s face (one thing always make me flabbergasted is can’t they tell by the voice?:joy:). Anyway, you can tell by some of her thoughts. For example, when the emperor her death sentence and the guard took her away, she  was at the house (not sure if it was abandoned house), looking at the sky and said that the reason she came to the past was to die for her love. I didn’t watch episode 27-29 but skipped to episode 30. MW was talking to MH and MH asked to bet who is going to be the final winner (for the throne) and she bet 14. MW thought to herself that she knows who’s going to be king and there’s no point betting. My Chinese is limited too. 

Ah, okay. I had forgotten what Xiao Wei had said at the abandoned house and missed the conversation between her and Ming Hui about the successor to the throne. I'm with you and @RealityDream now that she does know she came from the present. Thank you, both!

@RealityDream Your comparison of Xiao Wei adjusted to the living in ancient times like how Ruo Xi did in Scarlet Heart makes sense to me.

I do still think it's odd why she didn't tell 13th prince about them meeting in the present (or at least that the person she was looking for was him all along). Maybe she didn't because she realized there's no point in telling him since he obviously doesn't remember anything. Also, not sure what's going on with her flashes of Ming Hui in present, but I think we may know next week.

1 hour ago, taeunfighting said:

Ah, okay. I had forgotten what Xiao Wei had said at the abandoned house and missed the conversation between her and Ming Hui about the successor to the throne. I'm with you and @RealityDream now that she does know she came from the present. Thank you, both!

@RealityDream Your comparison of Xiao Wei adjusted to the living in ancient times like how Ruo Xi did in Scarlet Heart makes sense to me.

I do still think it's odd why she didn't tell 13th prince about them meeting in the present (or at least that the person she was looking for was him all along). Maybe she didn't because she realized there's no point in telling him since he obviously doesn't remember anything. Also, not sure what's going on with her flashes of Ming Hui in present, but I think we may know next week.

@taeunfighting @A1mm3 @J13

Spoiler

AH! I didn't even think of that. I do know the day after she married him and found out he was the guy in her dream, she told him "I finally found you." I think at that moment 13th didn't know what she meant. He has no memories of himself transporting through time and met her in the present. 

I'm curious in one of the trailers, he was talking to her and saying "Ming Hui killed Ming Wei." This gave me a clue that she told him she isn't the real Ming Wei, but came from the present? 

When she transported back to the present after her first death, it felt to me that the drama made it a parallel universe, showing the past happening the same time as the present, which was interesting. Since Sister Hui and the future 9th was like "She was like dead, not answering calls or text messages." 

I was re-thinking about the earlier episodes. I feel like these early episodes give us a hint of the purpose why she came back to the past. In the present, Xiao Wei mentioned she really love the Forbidden City. Perhaps she was a maid in the past and etc, and she knew the Forbidden City like the back of her hand. Perhaps in the past, she was the real Ming Wei and both her and 13th had this strong love bond for each other. 13th has mentioned, if she wanted, he would marry her every lifetime. He also said "He would always love her and protect her." Perhaps she was reincarnated to the present and lost memories of her past. The purpose of them meeting in the future is to remember her past? Similar to RuoXi and 4th prince. RuoXi did live in the past and it wasn't just a dream. Her purpose of going back was to remember their past together. This can explain where the lantern came from and why the granny was like saying "I have waited a long time for you." Since it spanned 300 years, that sure is a long time. She could be Qi Xiang's floating image that only Xiao Wei can see. No one else saw her. 

Now I feel like my imagination is running wildly. Just throwing some possibilities. Sad that we have to wait for next week. 4 more days for me until the next episode airs. 

@RealityDream thanks for adding some context! Good points you have raised too.  

Yeah the storyline is very similar to Scarlet Heart, even the time travel feels the same which is why I initially thought it was a remake. I feel like she was given the opportunity to go back to her past life to ensure history occurred as it was meant to otherwise, I agree with you in that maybe she was given an opportunity to go back to be with 13th to allow her to remember her past so she can look for him in future.

3 hours ago, RealityDream said:

I do know the day after she married him and found out he was the guy in her dream, she told him "I finally found you." I think at that moment 13th didn't know what she meant. He has no memories of himself transporting through time and met her in the present. 

That's the part that bugs me. For something that was considered somewhat of a hurdle for their relationship (that he knew about), I don't quite understand why she didn't clarify it to him. I should know better not to expect logic/ration in the whole time-travel and memory loss aspect though. I'll finally end my thoughts about it here. :P

21 hours ago, RealityDream said:

Reveal hidden contents

I rewatched the trailers. I'm not sure if she has drank it or was stopped by 13th in time. Does it seem to you that 14th prince fell in love with Ming Hui. In Ep 36 before he went to war, it seems so. Ming Hui thinks he marries her because she looks like Ming Wei and its to fulfill his lust for Ming Wei. He once said to her "You still don't know anything." Then after understanding her a bit more, he feels she's just a pity person. 14th has this compassionate side that he kept to himself. He always show or comes off as someone who is cold or doesn't care. 

I can't wait for Ep 38! Ming Hui got locked! Our lead couples can live happily, except, not for long then Ming Wei dies. Why is it always like this? So much struggle for our lead couples. No one is letting them live in piece. I will probably need a box of tissue when Ming Wei dies. 

I wonder if they'll ever answer Ming Wei question, regarding why did she transport in time, whether its to witness the power stuggles or discover a mystery? 

I finally saw the trailers for 37 and 38. (Below is going to be a little bit of a mini rant. Sorry.)

Spoiler

I find myself pretty annoyed with the trajectory of the power struggle. I get that the female lead usually has an antagonist, but I dislike how Ming Hui is written to be the central figure in the princes' battle and now it seems she is the one who kills Kangxi. Like, seriously? I prefer the story at least leave that part alone. *sigh*

14th prince gave a lot of thought before he decided to marry Ming Hui so I'm sure he took his marriage seriously and treats/cares for her as his wife. I thought it would be possible for him to grow to love her, but it would be ruined by her evilness. In some ways, I feel bad for Ming Hui for how she was mistreated by her "mother", but it doesn't justify any of her actions.

I am relieved that it's nearing the end. It sucks though that it'll be a whole another week just for the final two episodes though.

54 minutes ago, taeunfighting said:

That's the part that bugs me. For something that was considered somewhat of a hurdle for their relationship (that he knew about), I don't quite understand why she didn't clarify it to him. I should know better not to expect logic/ration in the whole time-travel and memory loss aspect though. I'll finally end my thoughts about it here. :P

I finally saw the trailers for 37 and 38. (Below is going to be a little bit of a mini rant. Sorry.)

Hide contents

I find myself pretty annoyed with the trajectory of the power struggle. I get that the female lead usually has an antagonist, but I dislike how Ming Hui is written to be the central figure in the princes' battle and now it seems she is the one who kills Kangxi. Like, seriously? I prefer the story at least leave that part alone. *sigh*

14th prince gave a lot of thought before he decided to marry Ming Hui so I'm sure he took his marriage seriously and treats/cares for her as his wife. I thought it would be possible for him to grow to love her, but it would be ruined by her evilness. In some ways, I feel bad for Ming Hui for how she was mistreated by her "mother", but it doesn't justify any of her actions.

I am relieved that it's nearing the end. It sucks though that it'll be a whole another week just for the final two episodes though.

@taeunfighting

Spoiler

Right? In Scarlet heart, the story did mention how Kangxi may have wanted to give the throne to 13th prince. I didn't understand it at first, because 13th prince was portrayed as a supportive character. I remembered 14th prince and 4th prince was favored instead. 

In this drama, since 13th is the main character, I can see why history was saying it might have been 13th prince. He was selected to go to war instead of 14th prince, but because of his knee injury, 14th went instead. I agree with you. I didn't like how they portray Ming Hui as the root of all causes, even worse than 8, 9th, and 10th. In history, it was 8th who was portrayed as scheming, but in this drama, it wasn't the case. 

I agree! One more week just for the final 2 episodes. I wonder how the trailers will be. I want to see it end already and see if the ending will be a happy ending or sad ending or opening ending. :( 

Well, I have now finished up to Episode 16, and I have to say this drama's script is bad(poor quality). I was hoping the script would improve as the drama went on but unfortunately that is not the case.  The number of logic fails in this drama just keeps on going. The time travel explanation is a mess and a mishmash of several ideas don't make much sense to me. The rules seem to just change to meet the plot points.  First they have a "magic lantern", then they don't. First 13th is a ghost-like apparition, until he's solid cause the script needs it that way.  There's a lot of talk about quantum physics, wormholes, and magnetic fields, but then the "dream traveling" of 13th is more suggesting astral projection, except suddenly he turns into solid state for a brief time. However, it's not clear how Xiao Wei time travelled back, or why she is always a solid person instead of being an apparition. If it's the same time travel mechanism then the results should always be the same and Xiao wei should be "non temporal" as well. 

The memory loss part doesn't make sense either. I know it was mentioned by the professor that  a person would forget the travelling, but it still doesn't make any sense why the time travel would cause memory loss. 

Once we get to the past, Xiao Wei's behaviors are often silly but just accepted as fine when in reality they certainly would not be. Like she can just wander all over the Forbidden City no problem. Same thing for  constantly hanging out with all the princes.  And then Ming Hui just suddenly appears again where she's known 14th Prince/royal family since they were kids? Like, what? Any royal family connection was never mentioned in the previous episodes. However, If that is so, why did 14th treat Xiao Wei/Ming Wei like  a stranger? Wouldn't he have known Ming Wei since childhood too? 

The bear hunting scenes in Ep. 10 was such bad writing.  If Xiao Wei has enough smarts to take the cub to the mama bear to save the princes, why continue to hold onto it? This does not make sense and makes her look like an idiot. Then the bear cub is finally put down but instead of everyone slowly backing away and getting out of there, 13 & 14 prince try to kill the mama bear as the bear is trying to get to the cub?? Utter nonsense!  I understand where the writer was trying to go for the later scenes with the Emperor, but it just came off as ridiculous. 

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get that out of the way. Despite the crazy script flaws, I do like the 2 lead actors so I decided to continue on for them, and leave my brain at the door.  And I did appreciate Xiao Wei's confession scene in Ep. 16. I really liked the fact she told 13th straight up that she liked him and that she proposed to him. That was a nice balance to show that both characters are invested in the relationship. The scenes between 14th Prince and Ming Hui have me intrigued. She is such a nasty character, so scheming, and yet I think she may have genuine feelings for 14th, and a genuine attraction towards him. As for 14th prince, he seems to be a layered character with a mix of good and bad traits. He certainly seems to understand Ming Hui's character-her attempts to manipulate him did not work so far. I am interested to see what happens in that relationship. 

8 hours ago, RealityDream said:

Reveal hidden contents

Right? In Scarlet heart, the story did mention how Kangxi may have wanted to give the throne to 13th prince. I didn't understand it at first, because 13th prince was portrayed as a supportive character. I remembered 14th prince and 4th prince was favored instead. 

In this drama, since 13th is the main character, I can see why history was saying it might have been 13th prince. He was selected to go to war instead of 14th prince, but because of his knee injury, 14th went instead. I agree with you. I didn't like how they portray Ming Hui as the root of all causes, even worse than 8, 9th, and 10th. In history, it was 8th who was portrayed as scheming, but in this drama, it wasn't the case. 

I agree! One more week just for the final 2 episodes. I wonder how the trailers will be. I want to see it end already and see if the ending will be a happy ending or sad ending or opening ending. :( 

@RealityDream

Spoiler

Despite my complaints about the power struggle, I really appreciated more insight of Kangxi and 13th prince’s father/son relationship. It was apparent Kangxi thought very highly of 13th prince’s abilities. Getting a glimpse and better understanding of how and why he may have once considered 13th prince (above 4th and 14th prince) added a nice touch to his backstory. Even though Kangxi needed to switch military power to 14th prince, I really liked the scene of him telling 13th prince to focus on recovering well so that he could see him lead the war one day. 

I didn’t mind the story tracking back to Kangxi deciding between 4th and 14th prince because 13th prince didn’t want the throne and it would be more in line with history, but putting Ming Hui’s plotting in the mix of it ruined the princes' battle for me.

I am ready for the ending too! I hope that we’ll get at least the last episode with her back in the present and allow the story tie everything together nicely.

8 hours ago, Table122000 said:

Despite the crazy script flaws, I do like the 2 lead actors so I decided to continue on for them, and leave my brain at the door.  And I did appreciate Xiao Wei's confession scene in Ep. 16. I really liked the fact she told 13th straight up that she liked him and that she proposed to him. That was a nice balance to show that both characters are invested in the relationship. The scenes between 14th Prince and Ming Hui have me intrigued. She is such a nasty character, so scheming, and yet I think she may have genuine feelings for 14th, and a genuine attraction towards him. As for 14th prince, he seems to be a layered character with a mix of good and bad traits. He certainly seems to understand Ming Hui's character-her attempts to manipulate him did not work so far. I am interested to see what happens in that relationship. 

@Table122000 I agree with you that there are indeed a lot of holes in the writing, but same as you, I really enjoy the two leads! I am still happy (and grateful) that 13th prince has his own story here - especially a love story with Xiao Wei. I think it’s great that you’re taking your time to watch it. I hope you’ll find yourself enjoying more of their sweet scenes. They are quite memorable!

I believe Ming Hui does have true feelings for 14th prince, but her low confidence and ambitions cloud her ability to see them clearly. I am curious to see how 14th prince’s character will play out. His mix of good and bad traits makes me love and hate his character - all in a good way. ;) 

9 hours ago, RealityDream said:

I was re-thinking about the earlier episodes. I feel like these early episodes give us a hint of the purpose why she came back to the past. In the present, Xiao Wei mentioned she really love the Forbidden City. Perhaps she was a maid in the past and etc, and she knew the Forbidden City like the back of her hand. Perhaps in the past, she was the real Ming Wei and both her and 13th had this strong love bond for each other. 13th has mentioned, if she wanted, he would marry her every lifetime. He also said "He would always love her and protect her." Perhaps she was reincarnated to the present and lost memories of her past. The purpose of them meeting in the future is to remember her past? Similar to RuoXi and 4th prince. RuoXi did live in the past and it wasn't just a dream. Her purpose of going back was to remember their past together. This can explain where the lantern came from and why the granny was like saying "I have waited a long time for you." Since it spanned 300 years, that sure is a long time. She could be Qi Xiang's floating image that only Xiao Wei can see. No one else saw her. 

But if the purpose of her going back was to remember their past then it doesn’t make sense. Because the real MW was never in love with 13 prince but her cousin. Unless it’s like a past in the past? Maybe this is not the first reincarnation of XW??! Argh. Too much thinking. I guess in this drama there’s no logic like Scarlet Heart. But I guess they’re trying to make changes so it’s different from SH but there’s too many elements: phenomenal wormhole, time travel and dreaming?? I don’t understand that. The most plausible explanation is that there is no logic!! 

everyone keeps thinking the granny is QX but I think it’s a parallel her from a different present. IDK. All this is making me think of 3 parallel past, present, and future. I don’t see how QX is the key to their meeting. 

Archived