[Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Dreaming Back to the Qing Dynasty 梦回大清

sugarplum892

I thought episodes 33 and 34 were pretty good...

Spoiler

I'm glad 4th and 13th prince finally deal with their feelings from when 4th prince prolonged Xiao Wei from reuniting with 13th prince. Though they argued and fought, they don't have to internalize them anymore and let it strain their brotherhood with further misunderstandings. Thank goodness 4th prince finally let's go for good now. 

It turns out 13th prince is still Kangxi's first choice as his successor, but 13th prince respectfully declined. Instead, he promised his father he would dedicate himself to protect Great Qing. Though this is fictionalized in the drama, I like the story's interpretation of 13th prince and Kangxi's relationship. I thought it gave an interesting view of why historians wondered if 13th prince was so highly regarded by Kangxi, why wasn't he not bestowed heir to the throne. It also highlighted why 13th prince may have worked so hard for his country until his death.

I also liked Kangxi's conversations with Xiao Wei. Despite all the scheming, he can still see what's black and white. He seems to trust Xiao Wei by 13th prince's side and that she would do her best protect to protect 13th and 4th prince. I thought this cemented why Kangxi went out of his way to give Xiao Wei a new identity and allowed her to remain by 13th prince's side.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:15 AM, RealityDream said:

Thoughts on episode 33 + 34: 

Hide contents

Ummm... I'm so confused. In Ep 33, 13th said to XW, she's from the future. How does he know that? Did he remember he time traveled or was there somewhere in the episode that XW mentioned it. AHH, I'm so lost. 

@RealityDream About your thoughts on 33 and 34...

Spoiler

I am lost myself! Did the edit team accidentally cut out a really important part? If any friends here in the forum were able to piece these parts together, please help us.

On 1/16/2020 at 4:15 AM, RealityDream said:

@taeunfighting First thing to watch on a Thursday are the trailers for Ep 39 and 40...:joy:

Hide contents

It turns out Consort De poisoned her. I don't understand why. Does she still think it's Kang Xi's decree? Damn, all the couples who were fated to meet, but not fated to be together are together in present time. I thought that was interesting! It seems relatable to our present life. I couldn't help, but rewatch these trailers over and over. I wonder how 13th and XW will meet in present time. It doesn't seem like the drama answered whether 13th remembering himself traveling to present time. I mean, it could be answered by what the professor was saying that "he could not remember the event at all and that the quantum teleportation occurs and leaves as it wishes," but still it seems like an opening ending on that aspect. What are your thoughts? 

About the trailers for 39 and 40...

Spoiler

Omg...I already want to cry. :tears: With the other couples meeting each other again in the future, it seems to allude that 13th prince will "reunite" with Xiao Wei as well. If so, just not sure how... It looks like 13th prince plants a letter for Xiao Wei to find in the future which makes me think that he remembers teleporting. (He had done something similar for her with the apricot blossom tree.) Also, it looks like he ages a bit. In history, I believe he lived 8 more years after Kangxi died. Maybe their reunion has a connection to the timing of his death. Not sure how many letters he writes to her over time, but the one shown is dated 8 years of Yongzheng's rule.

About Consort De, I have no idea why she would still want to kill Xiao Wei. Maybe she feels threatened about her status as "queen" mother with her sons always putting Xiao Wei before anything else (including her).

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm glad 4th and 13th prince finally deal with their feelings from when 4th prince prolonged Xiao Wei from reuniting with 13th prince. Though they argued and fought, they don't have to internalize them anymore and let it strain their brotherhood with further misunderstandings. Thank goodness 4th prince finally let's go for good now. 

It turns out 13th prince is still Kangxi's first choice as his successor, but 13th prince respectfully declined. Instead, he promised his father he would dedicate himself to protect Great Qing. Though this is fictionalized in the drama, I like the story's interpretation of 13th prince and Kangxi's relationship. I thought it gave an interesting view of why historians wondered if 13th prince was so highly regarded by Kangxi, why wasn't he not bestowed heir to the throne. It also highlighted why 13th prince may have worked so hard for his country until his death.

I also liked Kangxi's conversations with Xiao Wei. Despite all the scheming, he can still see what's black and white. He seems to trust Xiao Wei by 13th prince's side and that she would do her best protect to protect 13th and 4th prince. I thought this cemented why Kangxi went out of his way to give Xiao Wei a new identity and allowed her to remain by 13th prince's side.

Reveal hidden contents

I am lost myself! Did the edit team accidentally cut out a really important part? If any friends here in the forum were able to piece these parts together, please help us.

Hide contents

Omg...I already want to cry. :tears: With the other couples meeting each other again in the future, it seems to allude that 13th prince will "reunite" with Xiao Wei as well. If so, just not sure how... It looks like 13th prince plants a letter for Xiao Wei to find in the future which makes me think that he remembers teleporting. (He had done something similar for her with the apricot blossom tree.) Also, it looks like he ages a bit. In history, I believe he lived 8 more years after Kangxi died. Maybe their reunion has a connection to the timing of his death. Not sure how many letters he writes to her over time, but the one shown is dated 8 years of Yongzheng's rule.

About Consort De, I have no idea why she would still want to kill Xiao Wei. Maybe she feels threatened about her status as "queen" mother with her sons always putting Xiao Wei before anything else (including her).

15 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

I believe queen Dee made this decision because she saw how her sons constantly fought for and about XW and to get rid of the “source” of turmoil she did this as well as I think she felt bad for 4th prince wife.... you know historical reasoning where the princes are never held accountable for their own decisions.

@taeunfighting My thoughts on your thoughts.... haha

Spoiler

OMG! I felt the same. When I watch episode 33 and heard him say "You from the future," I was like wth? and also felt either I missed a section in a previous episode or it got cut off. Do you recall anywhere in the previous episodes where 13th remembered teleporting? 

It doesn't make sense that the production team rather make up believed that he remembered without telling us when he remembered...As far as I can remember, after they lost their memory at the bridge, he began developing feelings for her because of her courageous behavior. In the present time, he developed feelings for her also because of her abnormal behaviors (i.e. slurping noodles, yawning like a guy) and when she draws, she's so focus. He find them different from other girls he met. 

I still don't get the purpose of the drama. It's a bit confusing when I tried to piece them together. It seems to me like the purpose of them meeting in present time at the beginning was to start this lifetime love for each other. The purpose of her being teleported back to the past was to reunite with 13th and also resolve the conflict between her and Ming Hui, since it was stated by present Ming Hui that she disliked Xiao Wei when she first stepped in to the company. Even when Ming Hui died, the conflict hasn't resolved at all. Additionally, why was she the center of everyone's attention? 8th, 9th, 10th, Consort De, 4th prince, 14th prince and etc? From the talk between her and Kang Xi, it seems like he feels relieved to have Ming Wei by 13th and 4th side. Consort De doesn't seem like the type to want to get rid of her, but I don't understand why, unless it has to do with her sons. She knows both 14th and 4th admires her and don't want them fighting over her. However, she's now with 13th. What makes her think Ming Wei is still a threat? 

Episode 39 and 40 trailers makes me feel sad. I rewatched it so many times. There was a section where he wrote a letter and plant it under the tree. I don't know how she found that letter though. It says something about 8 years later?? I liked that he said "Their game doesn't end here." It sucks, now we have to wait one more week for the ending. What am I going to do after the drama ends? :(  

I really hope they get to meet in the future. Hopefully it doesn't end at a glimpse of them meeting in the future, but actually remember each other in the future. 

5 hours ago, BARTTONHOLLOWS said:

I believe queen Dee made this decision because she saw how her sons constantly fought for and about XW and to get rid of the “source” of turmoil she did this as well as I think she felt bad for 4th prince wife.... you know historical reasoning where the princes are never held accountable for their own decisions.

•  

ARGH!! That was one of my thoughts too! Because of consort De, both 13th and Xiao Wei are split apart! When will they get to be together without any problems .... suddenly I thought probably in the future. The future is like what 13th always wanted, a life of freedom without rules/regulations like back in the imperial palace. 

18 hours ago, RealityDream said:

@taeunfighting My thoughts on your thoughts.... haha

Reveal hidden contents

OMG! I felt the same. When I watch episode 33 and heard him say "You from the future," I was like wth? and also felt either I missed a section in a previous episode or it got cut off. Do you recall anywhere in the previous episodes where 13th remembered teleporting? 

It doesn't make sense that the production team rather make up believed that he remembered without telling us when he remembered...As far as I can remember, after they lost their memory at the bridge, he began developing feelings for her because of her courageous behavior. In the present time, he developed feelings for her also because of her abnormal behaviors (i.e. slurping noodles, yawning like a guy) and when she draws, she's so focus. He find them different from other girls he met. 

I still don't get the purpose of the drama. It's a bit confusing when I tried to piece them together. It seems to me like the purpose of them meeting in present time at the beginning was to start this lifetime love for each other. The purpose of her being teleported back to the past was to reunite with 13th and also resolve the conflict between her and Ming Hui, since it was stated by present Ming Hui that she disliked Xiao Wei when she first stepped in to the company. Even when Ming Hui died, the conflict hasn't resolved at all. Additionally, why was she the center of everyone's attention? 8th, 9th, 10th, Consort De, 4th prince, 14th prince and etc? From the talk between her and Kang Xi, it seems like he feels relieved to have Ming Wei by 13th and 4th side. Consort De doesn't seem like the type to want to get rid of her, but I don't understand why, unless it has to do with her sons. She knows both 14th and 4th admires her and don't want them fighting over her. However, she's now with 13th. What makes her think Ming Wei is still a threat? 

Episode 39 and 40 trailers makes me feel sad. I rewatched it so many times. There was a section where he wrote a letter and plant it under the tree. I don't know how she found that letter though. It says something about 8 years later?? I liked that he said "Their game doesn't end here." It sucks, now we have to wait one more week for the ending. What am I going to do after the drama ends? :(  

I really hope they get to meet in the future. Hopefully it doesn't end at a glimpse of them meeting in the future, but actually remember each other in the future. 

@RealityDream Can't believe we're at the final stretch...I'm ready for it! :D

About your comments...

Spoiler

As far as I know, it hasn’t shown 13th prince remembering teleporting to the present. Since I personally had a hard time following Xiao Wei’s memory for most of the story, I don't have high hopes that 13th prince's will be fully explained. If they happen to talk about it, they may do so right before she dies.

I still believe that Ming Wei is Xiao Wei's former self 300 years ago and that the purpose of her time travel is to put her destiny back in line. Meaning...for her to pick her life back up and put it back in line as if Ming Hui had not interfered with it. She (as in Ming Wei) was fated with 13th prince and to be embroiled in the palace politics. I think that was her life back then and there is really no explanation of why. It's the same for the other characters whose lives got tangled in the palace and are now in the present.

I think we'll know more about why Consort De still wants to kill Xiao Wei in the next episode. From what I can tell, she seems to doubt that 4th prince can properly rule with Xiao Wei present. He has a weak spot for her. Also, I think Consort De feels threatened by Xiao Wei because all of her sons defied her orders for the sake of Xiao Wei. Despite the truth about Kangxi's final wishes being manipulated by Ming Hui, it has now become personal for the queen dowager.

Xiao Wei read the date of 13th prince’s letter as the 8th year of Yongzheng’s rule, 5th month 4th day. 8 years resonates with me because that's the number of years 13th prince lived after Kangxi’s death and of Yongzheng’s rule.

13th prince said if separated, he promised Xiao Wei that he'll find her no matter what. I'm looking forward to see how he will make that happen (whether it will make sense or not). ;)

1 hour ago, taeunfighting said:

@RealityDream Can't believe we're at the final stretch...I'm ready for it! :D

About your comments...

Hide contents

As far as I know, it hasn’t shown 13th prince remembering teleporting to the present. Since I personally had a hard time following Xiao Wei’s memory for most of the story, I don't have high hopes that 13th prince's will be fully explained. If they happen to talk about it, they may do so right before she dies.

I still believe that Ming Wei is Xiao Wei's former self 300 years ago and that the purpose of her time travel is to put her destiny back in line. Meaning...for her to pick her life back up and put it back in line as if Ming Hui had not interfered with it. She (as in Ming Wei) was fated with 13th prince and to be embroiled in the palace politics. I think that was her life back then and there is really no explanation of why. It's the same for the other characters whose lives got tangled in the palace and are now in the present.

I think we'll know more about why Consort De still wants to kill Xiao Wei in the next episode. From what I can tell, she seems to doubt that 4th prince can properly rule with Xiao Wei present. He has a weak spot for her. Also, I think Consort De feels threatened by Xiao Wei because all of her sons defied her orders for the sake of Xiao Wei. Despite the truth about Kangxi's final wishes being manipulated by Ming Hui, it has now become personal for the queen dowager.

Xiao Wei read the date of 13th prince’s letter as the 8th year of Yongzheng’s rule, 5th month 4th day. 8 years resonates with me because that's the number of years 13th prince lived after Kangxi’s death and of Yongzheng’s rule.

13th prince said if separated, he promised Xiao Wei that he'll find her no matter what. I'm looking forward to see how he will make that happen (whether it will make sense or not). ;)

@taeunfighting

Spoiler

AH! That makes sense now. The date she read the letter is probably around the time that 13th died. No wonder 13th aged, but probably the 8 years that 13th lived in the past is only a few months in present life. Xiao Wei didn't look like she aged at all. Maybe the scene of her in the hills is where they will reunite again. The picture of them and the crew seems to be on a hill too. 

I was rewatching a few episodes. I was thinking when XW first passed away, 13th spent a lot of time rethinking and reminiscing their past. Perhaps that's when he remembered? 

Do you really think that's the case? It's just weird to me. The old Ming Wei is depicted as a weak, scary cat girl, whereas the Xiao Wei from the present is a strong, courageous girl. However, it's the same with "Xiao Qiu." Her former self was a weakling too in that time era and her self in the present time is a lot stronger. Well, the modern day Xiao Wei had said, she can't change history, but she can change the process. She mentioned how in history it states 13th caught a leg disease. She helped him recover faster from it and was able to walk like usual. It makes sense that she is fated to be entangled with the politics of the past. 

I think next Thursday, I'll be watching Episode 40 first before 39. haha. I want to know the ending already! 

On 1/15/2020 at 3:34 AM, J13 said:

@Table122000 oh my gosh, yes!!! I was sooo disappointed that we didn’t even get a kiss on their wedding or their first night together! I thought we would get a few kiss scenes given they kissed quiet early on in the drama but nothing! MH and 14th prince have better kisses than our leads and dare I say, even better progress in their relationship and sometimes even a more interesting relationship story than our main lead couple - although I have been skipping a lot of their scenes because the more I watch, the more I can’t stand MH. 

C’mon drama writers, at the rate we’re going, at least give us lots of romance and kisses/skinship between our main lead couple please!

I think I’ll mainly just skip and watch XW and 13th scenes now lol I was trying to watch some of the other parts but my main interest is our leads so I’ll just watch for them :blush:

I'll agree with you that it is kind of sad when the 2nd Couple has better kiss scenes than the main lead couple. I'm currently finished Ep. 28 and still no kiss between our main leads. I was also surprised we didn't get to see their second wedding as I thought someone else mentioned here at the forum there was some scene of Xiao Wei in wedding dress walking toward 13th prince, but the Emperor just announced that he arranged a marriage for 13th to Yu Ning and then XW walks in in a regular dress. And then everyone just refers to them as married, so 2nd wedding ceremony happened off screen, which was disappointing for me as I thought for sure we would get a nice wedding kiss for 2nd time, but no. I guess we have to be grateful we got a reunion hug at least. 

Ming Hui and 14th Prince relationship continues to be so interesting-keeps me guessing about if there are real feelings involved or if it's just some kind of game plan.  Although I have to say I do feel bad for 14th if he actually falls in love with Ming Hui since she is so scheming. I think perhaps he believes that MH can change with the love of a good man, but I have serious doubts. That girl is just too far gone into her obsession with Xiao Wei.  I'll agree with you that the MH/14th relationship is given a bit more depth I think than our OTP-fault of the shoddy writing. 

I was hoping to see more character development for the main leads and some relationship development as well, but it didn't happen and now we are entering the palace politics phase, so I imagine it's just going to be the battle for the throne from now on. 

I'll just say thank you to everyone who tried to make sense out of the time travel elements of the drama. My conclusion is that unfortunately it is all nonsense and things just change as needed to meet whatever plot point. You just have to accept whatever is on screen and leave your brain behind. To be honest, I think it would have made the most sense if they had simple been able to keep to the original source material's explanation everything just a dream but they decided to have that whole beginning section with 13th Prince coming to the modern times first. 

One thing that I did like about the "time travel" was that Xiao Wei was always herself and didn't "take over"  the body of Real Ming Wei or do some kind of "soul switch". Real Ming Wei just asked her to impersonate her so the mother wouldn't be sad.  Then the servants found Xiao Wei and just took her back to the manor, where they changed her out of her modern day clothes and then burned them. 

5 minutes ago, you-nee said:

hhii... guys...

is there any chance that they gonna make season 2.... :D:D

like bu bu jing xin , they made the season 2 with modern theme right ^_^

Who knows...it all depends on the rating. If the rating is high and if a lot of people request for it, they will probably do a season 2. 

4 minutes ago, RealityDream said:

Who knows...it all depends on the rating. If the rating is high and if a lot of people request for it, they will probably do a season 2. 

wish... wish... wish... plizzz... drama god... finger cross 

Archived