Quantcast
larus

[Current Drama 2019] My Prettiest Daughter In The World/ Mother of Mine, 세상에서 제일 예쁜 내 딸 - Sat & Sun @ 19:55 KST

Thank you for clarifying, larus. Guess many staff and crew will be affected. IF SJ dies, there's likely a to be a time jump to show how the daughters are getting on with their lives. Reminds me of the drama, "What happens to my family".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

It is meaningless. I really like SJ :(

she was practically a mother to everyone 

Of course, she knew how to make everything sadder. She chose the only character that held together almost all the characters. She was the central character. 

I know that the family will remain strong even after she will be gone. Sun ja keep the family together, she raised good people. Her dream to see all three daughter on their own became true but why not let her to enjoy that a little more? Yeah... sometimes real life is unfair. But this is a soap opera. The writer could have given us some satisfaction.

I know why the writer chose her from all the characters. Killing chairman or other fool antagonist would not make an impact on the audience.

56 minutes ago, melissa_lee said:

any reason why this is so? 

I don`t know for sure. Probably, there is the audience`s habit of watching KBS family dramas, also, it is the only drama at that time on television. The other dramas are starting 40 minutes later or more. 

50 minutes ago, monalisa said:

IF SJ dies, there's likely a to be a time jump to show how the daughters are getting on with their lives. Reminds me of the drama, "What happens to my family".

Probably that`s what the writer wanted to show us. . Many family dramas are chosing this ending.

I remember that I saw What happends to My family (I watched on You Tube) only Kim Hyun Joo and Kim Sang-kyung`s storyline. I remember that her father became ill in the end of the series but I did not remember his fate.

From what others said, it happends to the heroine`s mom in "All About My Mom" as well. I am sure there are many family dramas with similar plot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melissa_lee said:

any reason why this is so? 

The idea of weekend drama is suitable for family. It is humane and touching it includes several generations of actors from 70 year old to five year old children 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, larus said:

I remember that I saw What happends to My family (I watched on You Tube) only Kim Hyun Joo and Kim Sang-kyung`s storyline. I remember that her father became ill in the end of the series but I did not remember his fate.

This show is currently rerun on KBSWorld. The father figure sucumbed to liver cancer, he was given 3 months to live.

Personally I like weekend dramas, usually has warmth and nice little light moments. I started on weekend dramas with Mother is Angry (2008 Kim Hye Ja), and Life is beautiful (2010 Kim Hae Sook, Lee Sang Wu).

I am losing faith after this disappointing Mother of Mine and I may not watch anymore. And 100-episodes is difficult to follow.

• Like 2

Preview

22 minutes ago, melissa_lee said:

I am losing faith after this disappointing Mother of Mine and I may not watch anymore. And 100-episodes is difficult to follow.

Maybe you should watch the next KBS family drama. It looks like it will be the romantic comedy type. Or maybe KBS Father is Strange (2017), SBS Yeah, That's How It Is (2016) . I heard they were good family dramas. It will restore your faith in family dramas. :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, melissa_lee said:

You should check out Aiga Dasut (Five Children). It aired 3 years ago and I loved it. Great cast and acting and great story. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/24/2019 at 9:44 AM, larus said:

The majority of articles about Mother of Mine were positive (praising the acting or just summarizing the episodes) but I found an article that talks about what it doesn't work in the KBS family drama. I think it is an objective view. I share the opinion of that article.

I really don`t dislike this drama, (It is the only drama that I watched LIVE and it is not even my favorite) but I am a little sad that there could have been something else. (sigh!)

Google translation

Weekend drama 'My Beautifulst Daughter in the World' loses his original intention and drifts only the old-fashioned drama clichés.

Modern society The idea of illuminating a new mother-in-law image has never been seen, and only the common 'bloodline' story remains.
At the beginning of the broadcast, the work seemed to illuminate the different relationships and stories of mother Park Sun-ja (Kim Hae-suk), working mom eldest daughter Kang Mi-sun (Yu-sun), Bae's second daughter Miri (Kim So-yeon), and the cheerful???? youngest daughter Mi-hye (Kim Ha-kyung).

However, when viewers responded the most to Miri's family history and the Miri-Taeju romance, the work began to get off track. Since the relationship between mother and daughter has been focused on Miri and her mother Jeon In-sook (Myung-gil Choi) rather than her mother-in-law, it has become difficult to distinguish between the mothers.

In the process, Han Jong-soo (Dong-woo) 's incomprehensible words and acts, too typical of Na Hye-mi (Kang Sung-yeon), the twisted romance of Miri and Tae-ju, seemed to see a popular drama in the 1990s, and viewers began to escape.

Romance missing, the company's working mom Miseon, the conflict between widows, and the romance of Mihye and Woojin (Ki Tae-young) are depicted as sideways, but they are also not convincing.

The broadcaster selects the face of 'My Prettiest Daughter in the World' as a mismatch between the director and the writer.

Yoon Seok-jin, professor and drama critic at Chungnam National University, said on the 24th, " Jo Jung-Sun is strong in comical dramas, PD Kim Jong-chang is good at authentic melo." "Heavy remains while dragging."--The PD won.

. . .

https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20190821056800005

I believe this must be true.

The redirection made the drama thread water when it should have been swimming.  That's why so many of the beats seemed repetitive.

15 hours ago, maribella said:

Don't you wonder how he built the company into a corporation? He is volatile, he is easily influenced and worst, he is easily fooled by his young wife.

Unless he inherited it.

The chairman is an embarrassment to all evil chairmans in k-dramas.

The chairman must have inherited his wealth. 

His mental capacity seem limited. 

He lets NHY  convince him that he will be able to snatch his grandchild and get rid of his daughter-in-law, and yet keep both his son and grandchild.  Did he forget MR insist he apologize to him. Did he forget that his son was running away from him before he met MR.  Did the chairman forget that MR has been the leverage he's been able to use to keep his eldest son?

On the, it's not real life, but a drama, point:

TJ looked at MR uninterrupted for over a minute while driving in traffic. 

This is why I hate lovey-dovey car scenes in drama. 

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote pics! Thanks! :)
  • Like 3
  • LOL 1

Shoot. Just when I wanted to start watching the episodes with subs again. Guess I will have to skip this week's episodes. Why would I want to watch anyone when the writer made SJ sick? I have already watched Golden garden. Man it totally sucks that it is doing cancer when we are at the home stretch. I have watched KBS2 dramas for quite a few years. What is the point of doing cancer right now? It is supposed to be the resolution stretch. Give her a romance for crying out loud. Not every mother in a weekend drama needs to die. Or only good for Halmoni roles and cooking japchae.

Hiss.

• Like 5

Thanks to Larus and rolisrntex for the recommendations.

I liked Kim Hae-Sook thru watching Life is Beautiful (2010) Childless Comfort(2012) and Yeah that's how it is (2016). I followed Mother of Mine because of KHS and KSY.

In Mother of Mine, KHS played a different type of mother - rough and loud on the outside, but a loving mother no doubt.

Off-track a bit, for some good news, golfer Ko Jin-Young just won the Canadian LPGA, her second win after Evian LPGA in France. Wow, Korean woman-power!!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, melissa_lee said:

Thanks to Larus and rolisrntex for the recommendations.

I liked Kim Hae-Sook thru watching Life is Beautiful (2010) Childless Comfort(2012) and Yeah that's how it is (2016). I followed Mother of Mine because of KHS and KSY.

In Mother of Mine, KHS played a different type of mother - rough and loud on the outside, but a loving mother no doubt.

Off-track a bit, for some good news, golfer Ko Jin-Young just won the Canadian LPGA, her second win after Evian LPGA in France. Wow, Korean woman-power!!

At my wife’s recommendation, I went and found some pictures of Kim Hae Sook from 30 years ago.:kiss:

She was a stunner! I had no idea she had been acting that long.

BTW...I loved the kimchi making scene with the whole family. My heart broke for SJ in that scene. She was enjoying her family together one last time.

I’m miffed they are killing off my favorite character. I hope if there is a time jump at the end, it is everyone gathering for her memorial service.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hushhh said:

The chairman is an embarrassment to all evil chairmans in k-dramas.

The chairman must have inherited his wealth. 

His mental capacity seem limited. 

He lets NHY  convince him that he will be able to snatch his grandchild and get rid of his daughter-in-law, and yet keep both his son and grandchild.  Did he forget MR insist he apologize to him. Did he forget that his son was running away from him before he met MR.  Did the chairman forget that MR has been the leverage he's been able to use to keep his eldest son?

Yeah, he is an embarrassment. After last episode, I say he is not in his right mind either. In what universe, Chairman Han and his wife could come up with such plan? Ridiculous! They will take Mi Ri her child? And his son will stay still? I can`t even have energy to be upset hearing this. It is a lousy laughable plot. Facepalms.

And after last episode, I believe that the writer will take the route of making Chairman Han the ultimate moron. The youngest son, Tae Ho,  is not his biological son. At least this soap opera trop will give some laughs.

Where was a scene between Na Hye Mi and Na Do Jin, after she returned angry from In Sook`s house. She was rightfully slapped by In Sook after insulting her daughter. She asked In Sook if Mi Ri is really pregnant with Tae Joo`s child.

Na Hye Mi came back home and  told her brother what humiliation she had suffered.

Na Do Jin: You should not have said that. What if they get you with this later?

Na Hye Mi: Forget it. They don`t know anything.

The scene is confusing but the tone of Na Do Jin is pointed that the writer might gave us a clue for later. Whatever. If it is what I think or if it is one of Na Hye Mi stupid plan doesn`t matter.  It is a weak

plot anyway.

9 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

What is the point of doing cancer right now? It is supposed to be the resolution stretch. Give her a romance for crying out loud. Not every mother in a weekend drama needs to die.

Exactly. I wanted to see Sun Ja doing something else than cooking at the restaurant, worring all the time for her family. How happy I was to see Sun ja singing in her brother`s rock band.

I always wished they give her a romantic interest, a companion.  It would have been nice to see a love story for a woman her age. But nooo. The writer did not give a proper romance for the youngest daughter anyway. I thought that maybe Mi Hye would have some dates and romantic scene but they jumped at couple problems because Woo Jin did not want to marry.

1 hour ago, rolisrntex said:

BTW...I loved the kimchi making scene with the whole family. My heart broke for SJ in that scene. She was enjoying her family together one last time.

I’m miffed they are killing off my favorite character. I hope if there is a time jump at the end, it is everyone gathering for her memorial service.

It was my favorite scene from last episode. I always wanted to see scene like that. The sisters spending time together in family events, brother in laws knowing each other.

I hope the writer will give the sisters and us, the audience, time to get over the sadness over Sun Ja`s tragic fate.

• Like 4

I had watched 'all about mum' with KSY's husband in it - they weren't married then. I had enjoyed watching it. The mother is loud, unpolished and also having issues with her children like SJ and MH. She is killed off, SJ's fate too. Eugene, WJ's real wife, is really good. Other than killing off the mother, the ending is happy and heartening but I am still turned off by the farcical last episode. :angry:

I am predicting the same reactions from MS as the reactions of the eldest in all about mom. So get the tissues ready folk.

The preview has IS planning to leave for the US? Oh man... shouldn't the writer be tying up old threads instead of starting a new one?

How many more weeks do we have? I am waiting for Chronicles of Arsdal, then will just visit this forum or dump it completely.

I like the kimchi  making scenes but not the prolonged crying of SJ and the camera hovering all over her. Just too melo and I know they think they are tugging our heartstrings.

• Like 3

BTS

Hong Jong Hyun preparing for shooting for KBS Mother of Mine.

20 minutes ago, maribella said:

The preview has IS planning to leave for the US? Oh man... shouldn't the writer be tying up old threads instead of starting a new one?

In Sook still doesn`t feel comfortable to play mother role for both Tae Joo and Mi Ri. It is still awkward for Mi Ri.  She will decide to stay when she will find out that Sun Ja is ill.  Mi ri will need her.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, larus said:

In Sook still doesn`t feel comfortable to play mother role for both Tae Joo and Mi Ri. It is still awkward for Mi Ri.  She will decide to stay when she will find out that Sun Ja is ill.  Mi ri will need her.

I would think that IS going to US might be two fold - one so that MR can get her CEO position in Apparel division of the company and two, so that she can find out the birth secret of Tae ho.  From one of the conversation of NHM with her brother, he tells her not to have said the inspeakable thing of MR child not being that of TJ.  I think IS has some inkling about it.  

10 hours ago, ck1Oz said:

What is the point of doing cancer right now? It is supposed to be the resolution stretch. Give her a romance for crying out loud. Not every mother in a weekend drama needs to die.

Exactly. I wanted to see Sun Ja doing something else than cooking at the restaurant, worring all the time for her family. How happy I was to see Sun ja singing in her brother`s rock band.

I always wished they give her a romantic interest, a companion.  It would have been nice to see a love story for a woman her age. But nooo. The writer did not give a proper romance for the youngest daughter anyway. I thought that maybe Mi Hye would have some dates and romantic scene but they jumped at couple problems because Woo Jin did not want to marry.

They might still do that.  Remember the doctor who gave her the bad news.  Writer could turn it such that TJ and MR find out about it and go the hospital with her and meet with the doctor and find out there is a 1% chance of survival and go through with the operation and SJ survives and the surgeon falls in love with the patient.  Hopefully they do that instead of killing her.  Really loved how endearing TJ's concern was when SJ said she has a cold - he was immediate in his response and wanted to go to the doctor.  :heart:

51 minutes ago, maribella said:

I like the kimchi  making scenes but not the prolonged crying of SJ and the camera hovering all over her. Just too melo and I know they think they are tugging our heartstrings.

True.  Just did not like the last scene of the Kimchi making ;  Loved everything else about it.  It is surprising how well blended TJ is with the family even though he is coming from a different social standing.  

I think with the chairman's behavior which is depicted to be hated, there is some back story of him and TJ falling out and we are not yet privy to it - just mentioned in the conversation between TJ and IS in the last episode.  We will probably get to know more about it and about how NHM snagged the chairman.  IS might bring proof of NHM promiscuous relationship and the connection between Tae Ho and XYZ person who had fathered him.  This will be the way NHM gets kicked out of the mansion and TJ's life for good.  I do think that the chairman is played by NHM, and that he is acting too since there is a past he does not want to come to the forefront, but at the same time, I can see the genuine love between a parent and a child.  Irrespective of what situation it is, he ends up giving in to his son and he does respect IS a lot as she raised a great child and probably has feelings stinging him for separating a mother and her child in hind sight.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, angelwingssf said:

I would think that IS going to US might be two fold - one so that MR can get her CEO position in Apparel division of the company and two, so that she can find out the birth secret of Tae ho.  From one of the conversation of NHM with her brother, he tells her not to have said the inspeakable thing of MR child not being that of TJ.  I think IS has some inkling about it.  

Maybe In Sook thinks that leaving for US, the truth about her daughter won`t be an issue. I see that the writer insists that the secret being revealed to the public will cause more than a stir. Whatever. At least Na Hye Mi knows that revealing the truth to the press will cause her problem with the chairman.

22 minutes ago, angelwingssf said:

They might still do that.  Remember the doctor who gave her the bad news.  Writer could turn it such that TJ and MR find out about it and go the hospital with her and meet with the doctor and find out there is a 1% chance of survival and go through with the operation and SJ survives and the surgeon falls in love with the patient.  Hopefully they do that instead of killing her. 

No, it won`t happen. Unfortunetly, Sun ja will die. She went to hospital too late. The cancer has spread.

I know that it is possible that someone could find it too late but the writer did not give us any symptoms. Or I don`t remember.

What happened with Mi ri`s clumsiness of heals? She doesn`t stumble anymore either.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, larus said:

What happened with Mi ri`s clumsiness of heals? She doesn`t stumble anymore either.

She is not startled anymore since she has TJ beside her.  

SJ's cancer has spread and is terminal.  As you said, they are going to kill her but hopefully longer than 3 months so that Mi-ri can have her child and SJ can atleast see that child before she dies.  

• Like 3

Some hint about Tae Ho in the following scene:

brother: why did she slap you? what did you do?

NHM: I irritated her by saying if MR is really with TJ's baby

brother: you shouldn't have said that. What if they get you with this later?

NHM: forget it. They don't know anything

• Like 3

3 hours ago, larus said:

What happened with Mi ri`s clumsiness of heals? She

She is pregnant, so the baby is balancing her by increasing the size of her rear. :) 

So MH got her man? In the preview, SJ was crying over a book which I am guessing to be hers. My prediction gone wrong again. Shall I guess that we will see her in a wedding dress?

• LOL 2