[Drama 2018] Secret Mother 시크릿마더

larus

1 hour ago, triplem said:

Everyone else , it was a pleasure reading you all here.

Same. Thank you alot for your thoughts as well. It was a pleasure indeed to read all the post here because it made this thread and the watching more interesting. All the actors did a great job, kudos to the newbie writer, the PD and all the cast and crew who worked so hard in tight schedule. It was a pleasure to watch a good womance drama because there are so rare in kdramaworld. 

lD8PKU.gif

More pictures

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's finally done! Thank you all so much for lovely conversations, for all the material posted (special thanks to powerhouse sharer and probable omnipresent deity @larus ), and for the company!

I'm mostly satisfied with the ending, given the time they had for it, and I think Hwang Ye Jin did an amazing job for her first work. I hope to see her work with this genre more in the future.

I do wish we had seen more of Min Joon and Yoon Jin's lives during the healing process, however. It's a whole new big topic, so I suppose they did not have time for it, but perhaps a 2-3 year time skip would have made more sense given their situation. As for Jae Yeol, I think he just snapped and went into a whole heartless level of denial, in which he has been consistently in. I think the final answer to this person's inner world was his visit to Min Joon's school. His eyes just glazed over and he recalled a happy (falsely so) memory. I think he has spent this time fooling himself that keeping it hidden well enough and working hard enough to provide would somehow make it all better. He was stupid on top of being morally skewed. But the problem is, his function as a villain did not allow him enough development for his mental erosion to seem more consistent and detailed.

The cast had a really challenging work in their hands, and they delivered so well. I'm still amazed by how one single consistent element from Cha Hwa Yun was essentially our answer for the culprit. Every time she would look sad after fighting with Yoon Jin, I could feel it. I think that moment of feeling guilt as a mother was her only display of humanity and an actual conscience. It's actually genius how alike she and Jae Yeol are. They clearly wrote them in a way where his upbringing's influence shows. They both march ahead with a completely twisted view of what needs to be done in order for things to be "ok", with no regard to the morality of their actions or the consequences. I'm just disappointed at the hinting of Jae Yeol killing himself, because it's a cliche, and because it does convey the wrong messages about depression and suicide. The whole "be honorable and end it" thing is a terrible mindset to push on people.

On a less heavy note, I squealed with the final OTP moments. Yeah, it was a neatly tied with a bow ending, but after everything they've been through, I'll take it. I think the series tried to focus on too much, but I admire the way in which they at least used their filler element (the other families) as part of the overall messages and theme. So yep, I'm on board Hwang Ye Jin's next one, if it's as promising. I'm going to go through all the goodies backlog on IG and other places now. Because I'm a masochist. :lol:

4 hours ago, Orion said:

As for Jae Yeol, I think he just snapped and went into a whole heartless level of denial, in which he has been consistently in.

His denial was so deep that he did not even confess to his mother what he did that night. She realised herself because she knows him really well. He did not check himself to see what happened to his daughter, if she is dead, he just run away. When he just start crying in front of his mother was the moment when he got everything out, like a child who open up to his parent when he is in dificulty because our parent is the only one who will protect him no matter what. That was the moment when he could voice out loud what he did.

I am curious how can this man became the chief of police, how he faced criminals on a daily basis. This is a job for mentally tough people but I guess, even the toughest men chould be shattered in front of this type of tragedy.

About the suicide hint, being cliche or not, I thought was palpable enough to believe could happen. It wouldn`t have been an "honorable" way to end it but another way to escape for Jae Yeol. I am so glad that the writer did allow Jae Yeol to face what he has done eventually and not to run away further. It is not easy to face the consequences of your actions or to face social shame.  Mentally tough people are managing failure.

4 hours ago, Orion said:

I think the series tried to focus on too much, but I admire the way in which they at least used their filler element (the other families) as part of the overall messages and theme.

Trying to focus on to many things could have backfired but the writer managed her drama very well. I will watch her next series for sure. She has potential. This drama touch a little about the exagerated parents' expectations about their children`s education because of the extremely competitive education system in the country.  I was happy to see Hwa Sook choosing her son`s happiness and not pushing for the elite school and ignoring his son`s feelings. Just like she said, maybe someday, her son will want to read those books on his own. Maybe the parents should let their children to experience failure sometimes and teach them to not fear it but to support them to find a way on their time of what they like or what they are good at.

WOowww love seeing all you guys here as all members of a family have got reunited. 

I wonder if anybody has the same feeling as me. The ending even though was great in my thought, it looked a little bit "crisp". I bet the story would have been well developed spanning to another 4 episodes as the first announcement about the project which was supposed to be 40 episodes. Hmm, honestly, I WANT JUSTICE for my JaeLim. He's such a cool tough cop, I'm sure he would be looked for another role as cop in the future.

I finished the two last one-hour episodes already right in time to get on the plane. Most of what I want to say, all of you have said it all. It's been such a long time since I came back to soompi for this project. Then, I happened to meet you guys who share not only professional and thorough opinions, but also funny and enjoyable moments commenting on characters. I've loved how we look into the big picture rather than focusing on any particular aspect. It must be thanks to the entire crew, their acting on screen and their chit-and-chat off-screen just blew my mind (especially for the last BTS video). I will miss this time a lot.

Let me contemplate upon the drama as a last farewell whilst I'm up in the sky :lol: 

2 hours ago, larus said:

About the suicide hint, being cliche or not, I thought was palpable enough to believe could happen. It wouldn`t have been an "honorable" way to end it but another way to escape for Jae Yeol. I am so glad that the writer did allow Jae Yeol to face what he has done eventually and not to run away further. It is not easy to face the consequences of your actions or to face social shame.  Mentally tough people are managing failure.

I think it would have made sense if he had been brought there against his will, but he seemed to own up to it. He also said he would spend his life in there. Be it "he finally did the honorable thing" or "killing yourself is cowardice", it's a very problematic statement on mental illness, and sadly villains are not the best place to explore its actual nuances and coupling with depression. It felt like a mandatory closure for audiences, so did Eun Yeong returning three months after her goodbye. I guess they just wanted a "neat" wrap up, and it's a shame his suicide was considered that.

38 minutes ago, Melody_06 said:

Hmm, honestly, I WANT JUSTICE for my JaeLim. He's such a cool tough cop, I'm sure he would be looked for another role as cop in the future.

Jeong Wan is the best cinnamon roll, and a great man of the law! I wish him many many promotions in the future.

The cast and crew had such a difficult schedule, and so did Hwang Ye Jin in writing this, but the end result was just amazing. Even if not in the form of live ratings, I hope the series gained and will gain a lot of love from fans. Ratings are fine, but I think it's more rewarding when the people who view your work become involved in it and touched by it, rather than passively viewing it as entertainment and a way to kill time. Thank you to the thread family here for being fellow ramblers! I hadn't visited the forums to post in years either, @Melody_06, and this was a great re-entry. :wub:

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Be it "he finally did the honorable thing" or "killing yourself is cowardice", it's a very problematic statement on mental illness, and sadly villains are not the best place to explore its actual nuances and coupling with depression.

It is a heavy subject and just thinking about it it makes me so sad. Maybe there will be a writer who will write a realistic and profund observation about this serious illness. It doesn`t affect only the people who are suffering or who make this extreme gesture (because of various reasons) but the people around them (family, friends).

I remember how writer No Hee-Kyung did a wonderful job writing in a drama about elderly and dementia.

Yeah, the dramas use way too many times the suicidal route for the villains to wrap up the plot quickly.

2 hours ago, Melody_06 said:

I bet the story would have been well developed spanning to another 4 episodes as the first announcement about the project which was supposed to be 40 episodes.

I wanted 40 episodes also. I remember reading in some articles that this drama will have 40 episodes.

I worried a little in the first episodes about Jung Wan, how the writer will use him, to not be an isolated character but the writer made him a great guy and a profesional. He was a great support for Yoon jin along with Eun young. Without him, the truth would not have been discovered. It was great to see a fine representative of male characters in this drama.  He had to keep the balance because the others....Jae Rim makes really good the action scenes. I bet he will have many action roles or emotional roles in the future. And so lucky for you. He will be in another drama this year. :)

Another thing.... Dear, Drama God, please cast Kim Tae Woo next in a positive role. I enjoy him alright in any role but you won`t fool anybody next time when he will apear on screen in a mystery show. :D

And for our leading ladies... please give them more roles. Do not let pass two years again until we see them on screen again. Thank You!

49 minutes ago, larus said:

Another thing.... Dear, Drama God, please cast Kim Tae Woo next in a positive role. I enjoy him alright in any role but you won`t fool anybody next time when he will apear on screen in a mystery show. :D

The first time I saw him (or remember seeing him) he played a great man. He died within 40 seconds of the first episode of the first season. He's worse than Kim Tae Hoon in some ways. :lol: And please, just one good leading man once in a while. We need it for our sanity. I was actually tweeting about the terrible ways in which he could outdo this role.

49 minutes ago, larus said:

And for our leading ladies... please give them more roles. Do not let pass two years again until we see them on screen again. Thank You!

Oh yes please. I was actually very much not into Kim So Yeon before this, and she was my major worry for the cast, but it's good to see that I had just watched her in roles that didn't use her well. She's so lovely here, and I wish her another awesome work following this one. As for Song Yoon Ah, she can step on me any day, in any role. I'm trash for her and her neck muscles. It would be cool to see her work closely with Cha Hwa Yun again, because maaaaaan, that chemistry.

I did think that Kim Tae Woo was perfectly casted for this role . They needed someone who was not exactly bad or had that antagonist look . Someone who could be a loving husband but also capable of being pathetic & weak. 

it was actually a stroke of luck that SJR got the offer to do this . His other drama had been postponed as female lead was unwell. So timing was right . They will resume shooting in August 

Agency updates

Ah hah now I just figure out an interesting finding. For all the time, I have been wondering myself Mrs. Kang looked so familiar, I'm sure I have seen her somewhere. And finally, just by coincidence, I crossed over KBS World Channel and the Healer drama is being air. I know that Chief Kang is her. Is there anybody who had followed this show? 

7 hours ago, Melody_06 said:

Ah hah now I just figure out an interesting finding. For all the time, I have been wondering myself Mrs. Kang looked so familiar, I'm sure I have seen her somewhere.

I don`t know who Mrs Kang/Chief Kang is. :P

I did not watch Healer but it happends to find an actor/ actress very familiar and I don`t know where I saw them before. Sometimes I look at the filmography of an actor and realised that I watched him/her in other dramas but still don`t remember his/ her role there. There are other actors that appear in so many dramas and I know who they are even without knowing their name.

Child actor Song Ji woo

• 2 weeks later...

One of the few dramas where all the main leads can act!  Usually there's one or two that pulls the drama down a bit.  But this drama is first-rate acting by all.  Kim Tae Woo did a brilliant job making us conflicted about his role.  

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2018 at 7:11 AM, larus said:

I am so glad to see the girls from Secret Mother having a great time together. :wub:

I am too. oh my god, can't believe they're still in touch (every time like this, my heart flutters for Song Yoon Ah, I can tell from almost always either dramas or movies as long as there is a name of her in the cast list, we definitely have the spin-off like this). Currently, I just finished binge watching on Room 9 featuring Kim Jae Hwa and she's still amazing with comparable natural acting knack.

• 2 months later...

Kim Jae-hwa attended the awards ceremony of '2018 SBS Acting Awards' held at SBS in Sangam-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul on the afternoon of the 31st December.

2018123119541015879-540x810.jpg

She had 2 supporting roles for SBS this year, in Secret Mother and My Strange Hero.

I hope she gets an award for Secret Mother.

Kim So yeon at SBS Drama Award 2018

image_readtop_2018_814137_15462575893588

Spoiler

tumblr_pk3lbf7OQd1sdd1ivo10_r1_540.jpg

201812312054778533_5c2a03b58b4eb.jpg

2018123120592528557-540x810.jpg

Song Yoona at SBS 2018 Drama Award

restmb_allidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=2018123

Spoiler

article.jpg

201812312037109298_1.jpg

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20181231

Shin Dong Yup said that the actresses of "Secret Mother" are looking like goddesses today.

I agree. Yes, they are!!!!!:wub:

Song Yoon Ah said "Secret Mother" is her first SBS drama in 10 years and she's grateful to be here with great people tonight.

Congratulations Kim So Yeon on winning Excellence in Acting (Daily and Weekend Drama) for her performance in "Secret Mother"!

DvwFkxwX0AMtKvG.jpg

Spoiler

20181231142048_667247.jpg

Spoiler

Translation of her speech

2018 SBS Drama Awards - Kim So Yeon gets Excellence Award (Best Acting Award) with the role in weekend drama "Secet Mother". She said, "When I was first cast in 'Secret Mother', I recalled that I was given such a great role and got a great cheer. Thank you for giving me such a great prize. Thank the staff and actors of 'Secret Mother'. And finally, thank my husband Sang Woo, who has supported me so much when I received 'Secret Mother'.... (translation KSY FB Fan page)

Kim So Yeon said when she is reminded of cheering when she was first cast for her character in "Secret Mother." The actress thanked her staff members, agency, fans, and her husband Lee Sang Woo!

Top Excellence in Acting (Daily and Weekend Drama)
Congratulations Song Yoon Ah on winning Top Excellence in Acting (Daily and Weekend Drama) for her performance in "Secret Mother"!
20181231153018_774268.jpg
Spoiler

DvwVhU5XcAAk-Qo.jpg:large

Song Yoon Ah says that she felt how much she was lacking while appearing in "Secret Mother" and at times, that it was difficult and burdensome. But during those times, her staff members and co-stars were with her and helped her overcome her difficult times. She ended her speech by thanking her fans and wishing everyone a happy new year.

source

Congratulations, beautiful and talented ladies!

• 9 months later...

Secret Mother ’rebroadcast schedule + point of watching? Kim So Yeon ‘Toxin Serine’ Acting

1571885120_285917.jpg

The secret mother, Kim So-yeon's double acting who hides the poison and tries to take revenge, will be re-lived on Drama Max.

SBS 'Secret Mother' started its first episode on May 12, 2018 and closed 32 times on July 7, the same year. Dramax runs 10:15 am, 10:45 am, 11:25, 12 am, 4 times from Thursday, 24th Thursday, 10:10 am, 10:50 am, 11:25 am, At 12 o'clock, we organized eight times in a row from five times.

'Secret Mother' can see Kim So-yeon's completely different color, expressing her attachment to her mother and her love for her mother, which she raised in KBS2 'My Beautifulst Daughter in the World'.

In addition to this, the synergy of Song Yun-a, who reveals her presence in each of her work , Kim Tae-woo, who is optimized for characters with intellectual depth, and Song Jae-rim, who is leading the actors from the recent generation of models, stands out.

http://www.theceluv.com/article.php?aid=1571885120285917006

I miss this show. I hope there will be more dramas with female friendship as a central story.

Song Yoona will appear in an upcoming drama named Elegant Friends. I am looking forward to see her in another drama.

Archived