[Mainland Chinese Web Drama 2020] Three Lives Three Worlds The Pillow Book 三生三世枕上书

MayanEcho

6 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

I agree that Hamster went for the more formal tone, likely due to DH as emperor. In the series, most of the misunderstanding between DH and FJ were over things left unsaid or unanswered. That scene when they meet again after 200 years is an example. Otherwise, DH is very direct and concise when he talks, without the vinegar with FJ.

Looking at the scene in the drama from the POV of the chinese version of the book.

At that point, Dong Hua had already given up his will to live (read: he cannot live well without her) just wanted to go die taking Miao Luo down with him. 

Killing that evil manifestation is more important for the safety of the woman he loves and he would also fulfil his obligation to keep the immortal realms safe from the three poisons. 

His hands were tied, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

10 minutes ago, Megan said:

What about shelter?

Thats understood as they took him home but the words he used was “the kindness of granted meals” in chinese. So it is clear they did not show him any love. This was also mentioned and implied somewhere in the book.

It’s like you live in an orphanage, you get food and a roof over your head. That doesn’t mean you will be loved.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

Wild beasts is vague, whereas specifying which creatures want to devour him packs more punch.

I assume his foster parents' home was nearby or also in Bihai Cangling?

DH and FJ are so alike when it comes to gratitude. They don't shirk in paying back. :)

They are more alike than we know at first glance but they are alike in some ways.

She was just as jealous at the teahouse scene like Dong Hua was, that’s why she decided to go check the kitchens to make sure the meals were in order. But she is more subtle than Dong Hua :). 

He is way more obvious than her. :blush:
That scene makes me want to cry and laugh at the same time.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

6 minutes ago, Ninky said:

Looking at the scene in the drama from the POV of the chinese version of the book.

At that point, Dong Hua had already given up his will to live (read: he cannot live well without her) just wanted to go die taking Miao Luo down with him. 

Killing that evil manifestation is more important for the safety of the woman he loves and he would also fulfil his obligation to keep the immortal realms safe from the three poisons. 

His hands were tied, he was stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Is it just me or this scene wasn't exactly portrayed accurately in the drama. Or was it the translations again.

7 minutes ago, triplesung said:

Is it just me or this scene wasn't exactly portrayed accurately in the drama. Or was it the translations again.

The show conveyed a similar scene. It’s clear he felt that he was forced to “let her go” so that he can go die taking Miao Luo with him.  He really didn’t want to give her up.

You can see it in his eyes. (On point acting by vengo). But at that point in the show, his health had declined significantly, the poison had slowed down his ability to regenerate cultivation and his hands were shaking.

For the first time, he looked like a frail old man. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Insightful 1

20 minutes ago, Ninky said:

They are more alike than we know at first glance but they are alike in some ways.

She was just as jealous at the teahouse scene like Dong Hua was, that’s why she decided to go check the kitchens to make sure the meals were in order. But she is more subtle than Dong Hua :). 

He is way more obvious than her. :blush:
That scene makes me want to cry and laugh at the same time.

:joy:

I would be too, if the "love rival" sits in between with not even a murmur of excuse me...worse, she brought what she cooked in a banquet I'm hosting, then she tells the apple of my eye that she bought him soup coz he might not be used to the food I've chosen to be prepared in the teahouse. Some guest she is! 

What would have made that scene more hilarious is if the soup vessel flew and the contents tipped over on XY's head. :naughty:

• LOL 3

3 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

:joy:

I would be too, if the "love rival" sits in between with not even a murmur of excuse me...worse, she bought what she cooked in a banquet I'm hosting, then she tells my apple of the eye that she bought him soup coz he might not be used to the food I've chosen to be prepared in the teahouse. Some guest she is! 

What would have made that scene more hilarious is if the soup vessel flew and the contents tipped over on XY's head. 

Actually I suspect that was exactly what happened in the book. The bowl flew down the stairs and hit Xiao Yan. So the contents would really be all over him.

Xiao Yan was yelling up the stairs telling her to hurry up or she will end up having to make the cakes for him.

• LOL 3

1 minute ago, Ninky said:

Actually I suspect that was exactly what happened in the book. The bowl flew down the stairs and hit Xiao Yan. So the contents would really be all over him.

The other people in the banquet and Ali saved LS from losing his cakes. Unlike Su Moye's fox lollies! Ahahahaha!

• LOL 4

6 minutes ago, MayanEcho said:

The other people in the banquet and Ali saved LS from losing his cakes. Unlike Su Moye's fox lollies! Ahahahaha!

Hahaha. Lian Song was deliberately poking the bear there.

• LOL 3

2 hours ago, MayanEcho said:

FJ and DH were like two parallel lines which will not ever meet at any point. The lost fate for Aranya and Shen Ye gave the conditions so that FJ and DH would finally see each other and eventually unite. (Sorry, I couldn't resist, after an earlier online reunion with former block mates and reminiscing our punishing daily maths :sweatingbullets:)

More than the 200 beautiful dresses, those works of love of DH for FJ might have been the only reason that gave him hope he will see FJ again.

I wish Tang Qi could write many many many more outtakes to satisfy our thirst and curiosity on the continuation of the little happy family. 

• Like 5

Just now, chsaf said:

I wish Tang Qi could write many many many more outtakes to satisfy our thirst and curiosity on the continuation of the little happy family. 

She will write several and package them with Lotus step volume one

• Like 1
  • Awesome 4

2 hours ago, Megan said:

When you think about it, Dong Hua definitely paid his debt to his foster parents. They raised him with normal care and no love. Dong Hua raised their Daughter as a spoilt princess...not sure how he felt about her though. What do you think Dong Hua feels about his foster Sister? Does he treat her only as an obligation? Does he think of her as real family, since technically he did raise her.

oh dear...now I’m worried Gun Gun would have turned out like Zhihe if Dong Hua had raised him. Under Feng Jiu, GG became a momma’s boy, wanting to spend time with her and caring for her.

as for Zhihe, since Dong Hua raised her. She is an adult now...it’s time for Dong Hua to finish his debt to his foster parents by marrying her out of his household. Debt officially over. It would be her husband’s turn to look after Zhihe.

GG is far too mature and smarter than ZH so that'll never happen :lol:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, Ninky said:

The show conveyed a similar scene. It’s clear he felt that he was forced to “let her go” so that he can go die taking Miao Luo with him.  He really didn’t want to give her up.

You can see it in his eyes. (On point acting by vengo). But at that point in the show, his health had declined significantly, the poison had slowed down his ability to regenerate cultivation and his hands were shaking.

For the first time, he looked like a frail old man. 

It is similar but the book was much more heartbreaking. He chose to die along with ML even though it was unnecessary because he would rather die than see FJ after tens of thousands of years of deep sleep and she's not beside him. Why is DH such a romantic? 

• Sad 3

10 minutes ago, triplesung said:

It is similar but the book was much more heartbreaking. He chose to die along with ML even though it was unnecessary because he would rather die than see FJ after tens of thousands of years of deep sleep and she's not beside him. Why is DH such a romantic? 

He found his fated mate but couldn't be with her. :bawling: FJ was not seriously studying her magic arts; she might not survive her god trials. He can't bear the thought of waking up after thousands of years, only to find out FJ is forever gone.

When he dies, the Tiancang cage will also be gone with him. DH fears for her, so he carved half his heart out to make her a ring to protect her even after his death.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Ninky said:

The thing about translation is if you miss the mark and use the wrong choice of words, the meaning and feel of the scene will change drastically.

For example, using the closer chinese meaning at the part when Dong Hua talks about being almost ripped apart like a meal by tigers and wolves feels a lot different to Hamsters “at the mercy of wild beasts” since it is a more vivid description as per Tang Qi’s words. 

Note that the meaning is the same but it does not feel the same emotionally.

That also helps you understand why the couple pitied him and raised him despite not liking him at all :(. That’s why he specifically said the kindness they showed towards him came in the form of kindly meals and not anything more (no real love was given).

Thank you for clarifying some things we missed. :D I'm grateful for Hamsters work though, it's so much better then TMoPB. I never could finish that book, even though I love the story. :( 

Does anyone know of a fan translation of TMoPB?? 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Thank you for clarifying some things we missed. :D I'm grateful for Hamsters work though, it's so much better then TMoPB. I never could finish that book, even though I love the story. :( 

Does anyone know of a fan translation of TMoPB?? 

Hamster and others who did the translation for PB were paved the way for many of us to the 3L3W. If English PB is officially released, their version with some proofreading, editing, spelling and translation crosschecking will be more than good enough for publishing.

It's hard to finish Toland's very clinical and cold TMOPB. Not aware if there are other fans who did a complete translation of the first book. Hamster did have a version, but the link for that has been removed.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ninky said:

In the chinese version it was there when they were talking about zi he’s parents. Dong Hua had a very lonely childhood, even when Zi He’s parents took pity on him and raised him, they did not love him and disliked him due to his odd silver hair.

He fought a lot in his youth as he was a pretty solitary person and did not want to appear weak to deter bullies. He knows loneliness best, trust me.

That’s why Feng Jiu’s love touched him so deeply. No one has ever truly cared, protected or loved him - except her.

So true. FJ gave him unconditional love. FJ looked past his DJ status and loved DH for the man he is. 

That's probably why when FJ disappeared, DH lost the will live. 

Thanks Ninky for your beautiful explanation. Your posts fuels my DH and FJ obsession!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Megan said:

When you think about it, Dong Hua definitely paid his debt to his foster parents. They raised him with normal care and no love. Dong Hua raised their Daughter as a spoilt princess...not sure how he felt about her though. What do you think Dong Hua feels about his foster Sister? Does he treat her only as an obligation? Does he think of her as real family, since technically he did raise her.

oh dear...now I’m worried Gun Gun would have turned out like Zhihe if Dong Hua had raised him. Under Feng Jiu, GG became a momma’s boy, wanting to spend time with her and caring for her.

as for Zhihe, since Dong Hua raised her. She is an adult now...it’s time for Dong Hua to finish his debt to his foster parents by marrying her out of his household. Debt officially over. It would be her husband’s turn to look after Zhihe.

He did paid his debt and ZH crossed the boundary when she tried to trick DH to marry her.

I honestly felt DH have 0 affection for ZH. Everything he did for her was in the name of obligation. DH made minimum effort, he made sure she was fed and sheltered, that was it. That could be because DH didn't know better, since ZH's parents did the same for him. Although he may have tried to teach ZH in the past and she declined, he didn't seem to care.

For example, how DH cares for FJ vs ZH. 

ZH was spoilt, she does whatever she wants. DH ignored her bad behaviours not because he pampered her, it is because DH did not care what happens to ZH's reputation. So he ignores her and waste no energy to guide her.

However, when FJ wanted to steal the pimpon fruit, DH taught FJ to get the pimpon fruit the right way. Apart from wanting to spend time with FJ, DH wanted to teach FJ to defend herself and reduce the likelihood that she would get in trouble for stealing. 

DH actually went out of his way to teach FJ. He had a word with FJ's teacher, set up the front yard and spent days watching FJ. So this shows DH can be a good teacher.

I think BGG will turn out like ZH.  First of all, BGG is smart and won't make questionable decisions like ZH. Secondly, DH loves BGG. He won't ignore BGG, like he did with ZH. I have no doubt DH will teach BGG well.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, MayanEcho said:

Hamster and others who did the translation for PB were paved the way for many of us to the 3L3W. If English PB is officially released, their version with some proofreading, editing, spelling and translation crosschecking will be more than good enough for publishing.

It's hard to finish Toland's very clinical and cold TMOPB. Not aware if there are other fans who did a complete translation of the first book. Hamster did have a version, but the link for that has been removed.

I was only able to find like first 200 page hamsters tmopb

• Sad 1