[Drama 2018] My Mister, 나의 아저씨 - Best Drama at 2019 (55th) BaekSang Arts Awards

Go Seung Ji

Still in the ep 1.. 

Everything seems too dark. The lighting, setting, the actors outfits, their hair colors.. everything.. 

I watch this because of some friends recommend this. Wanting to find out what makes the story win baeksang award. 

I just find out that the wife’s affair is too strange. Her husband is much more handsome. Hahaha. Or perhaps she needs romanticism in her 40s. Why it is not Jang ki yong who become her bf? Hahaha it is much more acceptable. HAHAHA 

I will continue to watch.. 

nb. For a girl who can not pay her own meal, IU sunglasses is too cool. Hahaha. I love that sunglasses ^_*

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

And I just realized what their pose is intended to look like in this picture.. 

Haha, that's great. At first I thought LSK was still trying to maintain a decorous distance from IU. But you're right - it's a heart. :joy: Not that we're reading too much into every detail or anything...

23 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

I read you guys' posts discuss DH&JA's new start, and these posts inspired me to list them.
If I forgot something, please tell me, thanks.

Wow, thanks for all your hard work putting this together! It was enlightening to see only photos from Ep 1 and Ep 16, and to see the "journey" they've gone through between the first episode and the last. I also noticed the warmer color hues in Ep 16 photos as opposed to Ep 1 photos. The only Ep 1 photos that are warmer are the wedding photos, I believe.

41 minutes ago, Gumiho said:

Still in the ep 1.. 

Everything seems too dark. The lighting, setting, the actors outfits, their hair colors.. everything.. 

I watch this because of some friends recommend this. Wanting to find out what makes the story win baeksang award. 

I just find out that the wife’s affair is too strange. Her husband is much more handsome. Hahaha. Or perhaps she needs romanticism in her 40s. Why it is not Jang ki yong who become her bf? Hahaha it is much more acceptable. HAHAHA 

I will continue to watch.. 

nb. For a girl who can not pay her own meal, IU sunglasses is too cool. Hahaha. I love that sunglasses ^_*

Welcome, @Gumiho! Yes, the first episodes are gritty and harder to watch. By the end of Ep 4, it starts getting really good. And by Ep 5, it gets more heartwarming. And by Ep 6, I was HOOKED! Enjoy the journey - we're jealous that you get to watch it for the first time ever!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

On 1/30/2022 at 1:39 PM, actionscript said:

I’ve written in an earlier post about how K Drama Couple (a youtuber) cited the story arc template used by MM is that of a typical romance drama, and then I compared it to a couple of such dramas.

Story arc template used by MM

I finished your article and I think it is brilliant!

I have a glance of CLOY. There was also a encounter in purpose at early stage. And a farewell phone call too.

• Like 4

On 2/1/2022 at 10:20 PM, YukawaCattle said:

[EP1 vs EP16]

9. Subway vs. DH's car

In the subway, DH was gazing at JA’s back (and nape). In DH’s car, JA is doing the same – throwing stolen glances at DH’s back, nape, and hands:

Spoiler

0mt24cP.gif

And while we are at the topic, JA has her own DH-gazing, nape-staring moments and here is another one:

Spoiler

ZnRtzY5.gif

22 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

I finished your article and I think it is brilliant!

I have a glance of CLOY. There was also a encounter in purpose at early stage. And a farewell phone call too.

Thanks! For me, it is apparent that the show is intended to be a romance story, but instead of the usual cheesy romcom, they utilized a more serious genre and made the romance much more subtle. But the relationship between DH and JA, how it will be resolved and how it will move forward, is certainly one of the key plot points of the story.

6 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

Maybe the director KWS really wants to use BA's funeral to tell us that DH and JA's relationship has totally changed during the funeral. 

Your whole post is again very insightful!

Yes I have a hunch the funeral and morgue scenes are meant to be monumental in the development of the relationship between DH and JA. And so far I have read some thoughts about it, including the GMS article you cited. Another I’ve also read somewhere (sorry, can’t recall where) is that JA’s lines of “Thank you for meeting me. Let’s meet again” is a symbol of her relationship with DH and is a foreshadowing of their separation and eventual reunion.

And I believe that accidental touching of the hands in the columbarium is not just a filler scene, it certainly has narrative work to do! One idea I have before is derived from @the_sweetroad's thoughts, that it is again drawing attention to their hands, as we are drawing near the last scene of show. But now you are filling in another nice theory about it.

So just now it dawned on me how the three hand scenes in ep 16 went from hand-gazing to accidental touching to hand-gripping for 32 seconds:

Spoiler

Qfnf2OQ.png

4iN5hOW.png

y9J7ESd.png

Indeed, as @the_sweetroad put it: The hands tell the story!

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Insightful 1

edit

22 hours ago, actionscript said:

Another I’ve also read somewhere (sorry, can’t recall where) is that JA’s lines of “Thank you for meeting me. Let’s meet again” is a symbol of her relationship with DH and is a foreshadowing of their separation and eventual reunion.

You reminded me that there is a kind of symbolic link between Dong-hoon and Ji-an's grandmother in terms of roles. “Dear moon ”is obviously a song about Ji-an's love for Dong-hoon. But this song always comes up in the grandmother scene. I have to think a little more about the symbolism.

• Like 5

Ep 2

”By the way, why would you date a middle-aged woman? is she pretty? how pretty can a middle-aged woman be?”

(Lee Ji An, episode 2)

I love her quotes above. Hehe :) 

Only a young fool who is having a boring life would want to date a middle-aged woman. From my perspective. A fresh persimmon always sweeter than a dried one. Lol

Why all characters in this drama do rarely smile in ep 1 and ep 2?

I am amazed that Jang Ki Yong acting is very different than his another new drama. Hahaha.

@the_sweetroad thanks for welcoming me on here! Why do you get jealous if someone watching this drama for the 1st time? :) 

@YukawaCattle thanks! Interesting DP of your profile ^_*

nb. I just finished ep 2 <3

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

12 hours ago, YukawaCattle said:

I mean, if KWS doesn't want DH and JA to touch each other, or DH grab JA's hand too tightly, he will directly say, "Cut! Do it all over again!"

I’ve also read somewhere (or perhaps it was an interview?) that they have put watercolor in the hands of IU to portray that tight grip. Poor IU if those marks were indeed the result of a real tight grip!! :lol:

1 hour ago, Gumiho said:

”By the way, why would you date a middle-aged woman? is she pretty? how pretty can a middle-aged woman be?”

(Lee Ji An, episode 2)

I love her quotes above. Hehe :) 

Only a young fool who is having a boring life would want to date a middle-aged woman. From my perspective. A fresh persimmon always sweeter than a dried one. Lol

Have you watched Secret Love Affair? I haven’t, but I’ve read it is also getting rave reviews as much as My Mister (ok, perhaps much less). It involved a young guy with a middle-aged woman I think, the opposite of Dong Hoon and Ji An’s pairing.

Anyways, in fairness, I find Lee Ji Ah (Yoon Hee) quite hot. She is definitely no push over even when matched with IU and Kwon Na Ra (Yu Ra).

If age is not a factor, I might even say Ji Ah and Na Ra are prettier than IU.. But IU’s X-factor is definitely through the roof!! :wub:

And welcome to the thread, @Gumiho! Are you sure you’re ok with all the spoilers we’ve been posting here? :sweatingbullets:

But yes, we’d love to hear your thoughts and feel free to drop any questions you might have as you go along.

1 hour ago, Gumiho said:

Why all characters in this drama do rarely smile in ep 1 and ep 2?

Ohh you might even wait awhile longer to see a smile.. :sweatingbullets: But don't worry, things will definitely get better!

1 hour ago, Gumiho said:

I am amazed that Jang Ki Yong acting is very different than his another new drama. Hahaha.

It's no coincidence that the only other good-looking guy they put in the show that can match up or even surpass Dong Hoon in the looks department is the bad guy. ;)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, actionscript said:

Anyways, in fairness, I find Lee Ji Ah (Yoon Hee) quite hot. She is definitely no push over even when matched with IU and Kwon Na Ra (Yu Ra).

If age is not a factor, I might even say Ji Ah and Na Ra are prettier than IU.. But IU’s X-factor is definitely through the roof!! :wub:

Hahahah,Kwon Na Ra is the reason I started to watch this drama.  I found some clips of YuRa & KH, and I thought it was a comedy originally.

When I started to watch this drama, it was like a club hit on my head......

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Blob 1

Hello guys!

Real life has been so busy lately so I haven't been able to comment as much.

BUT the thing that I've really been working on (when I should have been focusing on real life) was finishing The Road Back to You. And it's finished!!

Here it is: https://archiveofourown.org/works/34061467/chapters/84728752

Hope you all enjoy!

I am so tired now. :joy:

EDIT: @Thomas Zhang Your insights about omma being a prophet stuck with me and I ended up titling that chapter "Prophets" because of that. So thank you! :):)

On 2/4/2022 at 12:15 PM, Gumiho said:

Why do you get jealous if someone watching this drama for the 1st time? :) 

@Gumiho It's so fun to see people experience something for the first time. For example, I wish I could go back and read Harry Potter for the first time again, or Lord of the Rings, and experience all the little discoveries and the unfolding of the story one more time. So...enjoy MM! You're almost at Episode 4!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

53 minutes ago, the_sweetroad said:

Hello guys!

Real life has been so busy lately so I haven't been able to comment as much.

BUT the thing that I've really been working on (when I should have been focusing on real life) was finishing The Road Back to You. And it's finished!!

Here it is: https://archiveofourown.org/works/34061467/chapters/84728752

Hope you all enjoy!

I LOVE your novel SO MUCH. 

If it is possible I want to translate it and share it to my friends (of course with the original links)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Zhang said:

I LOVE your novel SO MUCH. 

If it is possible I want to translate it and share it to my friends (of course with the original links)

Oh 謝謝! Thank you so much.

Yes! That would be awesome! Translate away :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, actionscript said:

I’ve also read somewhere (or perhaps it was an interview?) that they have put watercolor in the hands of IU to portray that tight grip. Poor IU if those marks were indeed the result of a real tight grip!

Really?! Wow! I thought it was natural. So they deliberately did it to heighten the imprint!

Have you watched Secret Love Affair? I haven’t, but I’ve read it is also getting rave reviews as much as My Mister (ok, perhaps much less). It involved a young guy with a middle-aged woman I think, the opposite of Dong Hoon and Ji An’s pairing.

I watched SLA over the past few months, and yes, it's a mid-20's young piano prodigy who falls in love with his piano professor who is 40+. Many people who love MM also loved SLA. SLA was good! And in both shows the younger person "shook up" the world of the older person and "woke up" the older person.

I still liked MM more, though. :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

12 hours ago, actionscript said:

I’ve also read somewhere (or perhaps it was an interview?) that they have put watercolor in the hands of IU to portray that tight grip. Poor IU if those marks were indeed the result of a real tight grip!! :lol:

I understand.. it is if we see the actresses. And they all are pretty of course. Btw, I mean if it happens in real life. Only a young fool wants to having affair with a middle aged woman. Hehehe. Because as you know, woman is like a persimmon. When aging we will be dry hahaha. If in case, a young man wants to have a long time relationship with a middle aged woman. I prefer to see the picture as realistic as it is. Hahaha. But if a young man only wants to have fun with a middle aged woman then yeah..

However I see that Park Dong Hoon’s wife is quite serious with her affair. Hahaha. She is a fool too in this case. 

And welcome to the thread, @Gumiho! Are you sure you’re ok with all the spoilers we’ve been posting here? :sweatingbullets:

But yes, we’d love to hear your thoughts and feel free to drop any questions you might have as you go along.

I think I like this series enough this far. I will be come in here often.

Ohh you might even wait awhile longer to see a smile.. :sweatingbullets: But don't worry, things will definitely get better!

It's no coincidence that the only other good-looking guy they put in the show that can match up or even surpass Dong Hoon in the looks department is the bad guy. ;)

gtg and will be back later with ep 3 comment. My weekend today is busy in the class ii prison in my city. We are counseling the young teenager prisoners in here ^_*

Thank you @the_sweetroad

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

12 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

Really?! Wow! I thought it was natural. So they deliberately did it to heighten the imprint!

Yes, and I assume they took those close-up shots of their hands separately as well from the conversation scene.

And yes! That imprint was focused on for a reason. The initial tight grip of DH, and then the imprint upon the separation -- the fact that the camera focused on these two scenes separately and drew attention, speaks of their importance in the final message.

Sometimes I do this exercise to see how it fits. I imagine in what scenario would the PDnim think about focusing on DH holding JA’s hands so tight to appear he didn’t want to let go?

1.       He wants to convey that DH is so happy and proud of how JA turned out to be

2.       He wants to convey that DH is so happy he got his drinking buddy back

3.       He wants to convey that DH missed JA so much and wouldn’t want to lose her again

Hhmmm.. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Gumiho said:

I understand.. it is if we see the actresses. And they all are pretty of course. Btw, I mean if it happens in real life. Only a young fool wants to having affair with a middle aged woman. Hehehe. Because as you know, woman is like a persimmon. When aging we will be dry hahaha. If in case, a young man wants to have a long time relationship with a middle aged woman. I prefer to see the picture as realistic as it is. Hahaha. But if a young man only wants to have fun with a middle aged woman then yeah..

Yes I get what you mean.. What you painted might not be ideal but it is the reality out there. 

4 hours ago, Gumiho said:

I think I like this series enough this far. I will be come in here often.

Glad you’re liking it so far. There’s a reason many of us here can’t let go. :D

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

12 hours ago, the_sweetroad said:

I never doubted it is a deliberate shot. After all, PDnim give us a close-up view for their hands.

But it still makes me happy to hear that hahahha.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, Thomas Zhang said:

I never doubted it is a deliberate shot

I never doubted it was deliberate, either, but I'm just surprised they actually then put watercolor on IU's hands to make it even more "imprinted"! That means PDnim really meant it. LOL.

Sometimes I do this exercise to see how it fits. I imagine in what scenario would the PDnim think about focusing on DH holding JA’s hands so tight to appear he didn’t want to let go?

1.       He wants to convey that DH is so happy and proud of how JA turned out to be

2.       He wants to convey that DH is so happy he got his drinking buddy back

3.       He wants to convey that DH missed JA so much and wouldn’t want to lose her again

Hhmmm.. 

Nice exercise!

Yup. :joy:

Really, the last 3 minutes of the show are just loaded with tiny gestures and subtle emotions. The more I watch it, the more blown away how much they packed into it.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Just finished ep 3

And it’s confusing. Hahaha.. all characters seem like the ships that are sailing to I don’t know where. Hahahaaa

1. Park Dong Hoon

He is a gentleman with good moral and kind. But he has no ambition in life. This is the art in working. If we just work hard everyday with no ambition then.. ottoke?  Sometimes we need to be smart. Even though I don’t agree too if there is negative element in ambition <3 but ambition is needed to be success.

2. Lee Ji Ah. 
Her character is confusing for me. If she wants money okay then. Everybody wants money. It is just no need to do bad things. She could just ask PDH to gives it to her. Why would she wants it from That affair mister? lol. She makes things complicated.

3. PDH’s wife

I want to give her some verses from the proverbs

“Every wise women buildelth her house; but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands.” 
HAHAHA. I don’t understand her negative stress to her husband. She gets mad just because of her husband rip the plastic bag. Is that her reason to have an affair? Hahaha. She is the one who is having an affair and she is the one who gets mad for that stupid plastic bag and after that she cries. Seriously she has mental problem. Lol

I want to type more but I feel that I need to watch more to be able to type more <3

• Like 3
  • Blob 1