[Drama 2017] Because This Is My First Life 이번 생은 처음이라

Go Seung Ji

25 minutes ago, xxPeepsxx said:

Honestly, I HATE it when people call this show the Korean We Got Married As A Job. 

The two are so different in content and tone and... just, everything! Just because it's a sham marriage of convenience, and the j-drama was done first, Because This Is My First Life becomes an adptation of that drama. But sham marriages have been a Korean drama staple from early days!

I said before that I disliked the j-drama because it's so awkward (who the hell sets days for hugging...) and it's completely irrational but I think the comparisons kind of insult BTIMFL which is a story so full of depth, so human, so raw, so... real.

Well, that'a how much this show spoke to me.

I didn't' watch the jdrama ( has been a long time since I watch a drama from Japan) but I agree with you. Cohabitations and fake/contract marriage are even subgendra. We all remember Full House who made cohabitations/contract-fake relationship drama trendy.

You can find a looooooooottttt of this either in Korea or Taiwan tv shows.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, camichi said:

I have read here some of you talk about autistic people or autism when describing SH personality. I think we have to be careful when we make any reference abut people that have special mental condition because it could seem that we are talking about then in a wrong or disrespectful way. It could be seem like we are talking about autism in a frivolous way.

I have a niece that is autistic. Autistic people are full of emotions, they are sensitive and more and we have no idea what a difficult life they have to endure.  My intention is no give you and explanation or lessons about, but and I want ask to everybody not to use that definition easily.

I am sorry  but i have to say it. 

balloons smiley

@camichi  Sh is a very compelling lead. His sensitivity is undeniable, the way he felt for JH when she broke down in tears. Never meant to disparage or undermine or devalue people with autism.  

From now on i will refrain from couch kdrama diagnosis. These are fictional characters and there is no way to know what the writers have in mind until they actually tell us the whole story.  

SH is unusual  as male leads go. His very dead pan (sad?) expression or lack or expression and his analytical way of approaching his life at this point. His only recreation appears to be watching soccer and he has no friends outside of co-workers.  I am curious to know why, what is behind this. There may have been an unhappy romance, that drove him into this apparently mostly passive lonely life style he chooses.   I think there was a glimmer of jealousy at the end of the last episode and that may well be the force that draws him into emotionally bonding with his tenant.

• Like 5

First time posting here. Love this show so much, and love this thread and the dramabeans comments! I couldn't sleep last night until I posted my sentiments on another comment thread. Am I being too hopeful in saying that Se Hee is already falling--but unlike the logical algorithms, he hasn't figured out his feelings yet? He's too focused on certain things that he somehow overlooks some details. One example: The wedding ceremony budget. He was so fixated on not having a ceremony because he already crunched the numbers on that scenario and figured it was too expensive. He failed to see the emotional payoff it'd bring as well as the alternatives so that they didn't need to spend so much. CEO-friend was able to make him see the light--with the right data.

All the stuff that is happening to him, he's still processing it. We see that he is capable of changing his decisions once he has enough data. As for my sources of hope, they are:

1. Taking the scripts to the bus station. 

2. Talking to the mom

3. Letting Ji Ho take care of his nosebleed. 

4. Eating with Ji Ho

We've seen in earlier eps that he has no hesitation in giving anyone a piece of his mind/unfiltered opinion when he is displeased or unhappy. He is also capable of doing things for his own benefit--that was established early on. But why is it that when it comes for Ji Ho, he is not a harsh? Yes, he declared that he was uncomfortable but only as a response to her question. And yes it was painful. A cold splash of reality. But, I believe he is softening up to her, tolerating her at the moment. Much like his mom and her requests of him. He doesn't like doing some things but does anyway because it's for his mom. I feel, in his own way, he's doing the same for Ji Ho. He let's certain things slide if he cares about that person. 

Sorry for the long post. I need Monday and Tuesday to get here already. 

• Like 13

58 minutes ago, ahhhjummahhhjo said:

Much like his mom and her requests of him. He doesn't like doing some things but does anyway because it's for his mom. I feel, in his own way, he's doing the same for Ji Ho. He let's certain things slide if he cares about that person. 

I notice in early episode 5 when SH and JH meet SH parents, when SH asks her mother "have you been well?" He has soft voice. So I agree with you, he has soft side to those he cares.

• Like 8

@ahhhjummahhhjo i like your post on SH in the DB thread. This drama has all the devils in the details. I usually watch the first time for the plot, then rewatch to understand the characters.

There are many subtle details in the drama that shows JH is special to SH, many of which you have already mentioned. Despite being aloof to others, he is actually very attentive and quick to respond to JH, notice in the meet the FIL scene and the post-in-law meeting how he naturally picked up the cup to give JH when she choked? How he immediately picked up on JH's disappointment when he initially declined to eat breakfast with her? I really doubt he entertains that from anyone else actually. 

I've also lost count of the number of times he complimented JH. Remember how shocked MSG was when SH described JH as a good tenant? and MSG said it's the first time SH has used such adjectives on humans. :)

Now I wanna go learn how to make myself some GIFs of SH's complimenting JH...

57 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

LOL. I love reading the possible titles for tonight and tomorrow's episode.

Shall we somehow start a list and see who gets it right?

If not, I will try and collate it in about 5 hours time (currently at work) - Winner gets a cute gif !

Gosh, you really can't wait for Monday to come ya? It's only Saturday today! But i feel ya, nowadays I wanna fast forward to Monday too. :)

• Like 8

Here's my bet for the title of Ep 7 - "It's my first time to feel something" or to paraphrase, "Feeling something for the first time."

Thank you for your likes and responses to my previous post. My only wish is that writer-nim does not give Se Hee a backstory of doomed romance in his childhood which caused him to withdraw into his shell. I would much rather explore a childhood issue with his parents that led to his current state. 

Speaking of shells... aren't there mentions of snails in the series? I know Ji Ho referred to herself as one. And given that Se Hee tends to retreat into the comfort zone of his home and eccentricities, I'd say he's a snail as well. 

Here's a little side note: I've never watched Lee Min Ki in anything before. In my desperation to catch a glimpse of future emotions Se Hee may exhibit, I had to watch an old movie of LMK's. Spellbound. BOY was I NOT disappointed. I was smiling/squealing/pounding the table/shrieking at my TV.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have watched that. Now the time feels even slower... and Monday couldn't get here fast enough. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 2

10 minutes ago, ahhhjummahhhjo said:

Here's my bet for the title of Ep 7 - "It's my first time to feel something" or to paraphrase, "Feeling something for the first time."

Thank you for your likes and responses to my previous post. My only wish is that writer-nim does not give Se Hee a backstory of doomed romance in his childhood which caused him to withdraw into his shell. I would much rather explore a childhood issue with his parents that led to his current state. 

Speaking of shells... aren't there mentions of snails in the series? I know Ji Ho referred to herself as one. And given that Se Hee tends to retreat into the comfort zone of his home and eccentricities, I'd say he's a snail as well. 

Here's a little side note: I've never watched Lee Min Ki in anything before. In my desperation to catch a glimpse of future emotions Se Hee may exhibit, I had to watch an old movie of LMK's. Spellbound. BOY was I NOT disappointed. I was smiling/squealing/pounding the table/shrieking at my TV.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have watched that. Now the time feels even slower... and Monday couldn't get here fast enough. 

Omg haha! I can't imagine Se Hee wanting to practice different types of kissing with ji ho like the "hamburger" kiss or the  lobster (?) kiss. hahah!  

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

3 minutes ago, VanillaSalt said:

Omg haha! I can't imagine Se Hee wanting to practice different types of kissing with ji ho like the "hamburger" kiss or the  lobster (?) kiss. hahah!  

Speaking of kisses, their first one wasn't that... ehem... "involved." My imagination is torturing me with a possible future where they learn to kiss (for realzzz) for the "first time." 

Maybe I should watch Spellbound again. Maybe not. It's nighttime here. Hehehe.

• Like 3
  • LOL 3

@camichi @rembrandtz_5e20 @VanillaSalt @ahhhjummahhhjo

I have noted your titles. You can still change the titles before the episodes.

Deadline for Ep 7 : 20:30 (KST)

Deadline for Ep 8 : 20:30 (KST)

Have fun!

Just to remind everyone of the previous titles.

Ep 1 Because This is My First Time Being Thirty (서른은 처음이라)

Ep 2 Because This is My First Kiss (키스는 제가 처음이라)

Ep 3 Because This is My First Proposal (프로포즈는 제가 처음이라)

Ep 4 Because This is My First Marriage (결혼은 제가 처음이라

Ep 5 Because This is My First Promise (약속은 처음이라)

Ep 6 Because This is "Our" First Time ('우리'는 처음이라)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Dramanoona said:

@camichi @rembrandtz_5e20 @VanillaSalt @ahhhjummahhhjo

I have noted your titles. You can still change the titles before the episodes.

Deadline for Ep 7 : 20:30 (KST)

Deadline for Ep 8 : 20:30 (KST)

Have fun!

Just to remind everyone of the previous titles.

Ep 1 Because This is My First Time Being Thirty (서른은 처음이라)

Ep 2 Because This is My First Kiss (키스는 제가 처음이라)

Ep 3 Because This is My First Proposal (프로포즈는 제가 처음이라)

Ep 4 Because This is My First Marriage (결혼은 제가 처음이라

Ep 5 Because This is My First Promise (약속은 처음이라)

Ep 6 Because This is "Our" First Time ('우리'는 처음이라)

Oh wow! Pressure is ON. :)

Ep 7 - This is my first time to feel 

Ep 8 - This is my first move / These are my first steps towards you

Thanks, @Dramanoona

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

1 hour ago, VanillaSalt said:

ep 7- "My First Time Being Hypocritical in the fact that she can't go to my work, but i can go to hers" 

ep 8- "our first time holding hands and really meaning it" 

@VanillaSalt, Yes, those would be mine too....especially, number one.:lol:  When I saw the preview, that was the first thing I thought about--he's at her job, after making that speech about feeling uncomfortable with her coming to his place of work; would prefer she didn't do it again.

• Like 7

Hello.. I'm a fan of this drama too

I love "slice of life" theme drama, you need a good writer to make "a slice of life" theme become an interesting story otherwise it's just a dull and boring story.

This drama is great, the conflict, the drama, the character, the comedy aspect is perfectly balance and well written

• Like 9