This article is adding more details- apparently the contact lenses JH was wearing made it hard for him to see, JH was wearing a wire, and also- fight scenes without clothing ?! :blink: I wish.... :joy: Probably a mistake in translation...

[HanCinema's News] Jang Hyuk Talks About "The Swordsman"

On September 17th an online press conference was held for the upcoming movie "The Swordsman". Actors Jang Hyuk, Kim Hyun-soo, and Jung Man-sik were all in attendance, as was director Choi Jae-hoon. The story takes place after the dethronement of King Gwanghae, with the title character played by Jang Hyuk once again taking up the sword for the sake of his daughter, who is played by Kim Hyun-soo.

Purportedly Jang Hyuk did his own action scenes for the movie. In the press conference, he claimed that checks were done both for his copper stunt wire as well as his sword sharpness in every scene. Jang Hyuk also claimed that this kind of eye-to-eye action, sometimes done sans clothing, was on another level. Director Choi Jae-hoon also mentioned how many scenes were done in a single take to give the action scenes a unique feeling, praising Jang Hyuk for being able to tolerate the difficult filming.

Jang Hyuk also complained about the contact lens he needed to use for filming in order to provide a certain kind of expression. Jang Hyuk claimed that they often made it difficult for him to see. However, Jang Hyuk also said that without the lens nothing about the filming environment quite felt right. Jang Hyuk also had strong words of praise for Joe Taslim, an international actor who Jang Hyuk felt had excellent speed and rhythm in the action scenes and always helped to finish them early.

According to Jang Hyuk, in an action-centered production effective work by several people are required to make even one look good- in this case him. Jang Hyuk described Joe Taslim as doing great in their training for the action scenes. Jang Hyuk likened Joe Taslim to a soccer player able to adapt to any possible position as necessary. Jang Hyuk also praised the effort and hustle of his co-star Lee Minhyuk, who plays a younger version of Jang Hyuk's character.

In a final comment, Jang Hyuk described his character in "The Swordsman" as a cold and rough killer, analogizing him to the title character of the 1994 film Léon: The Professional. Jang Hyuk also expressed hope that many people would enjoy "The Swordsman" at movie theaters. "The Swordsman" has an official South Korean release date of September 23rd.

Written by William Schwartz

https://t.co/SDQt2ch1KK?amp=1

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

This article is adding more details- apparently the contact lenses JH was wearing made it hard for him to see, JH was wearing a wire, and also- fight scenes without clothing ?! :blink: I wish.... :joy: Probably a mistake in translation..

Hahaha! Then we might get to see his abs..

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

3 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

The translation is a bit confusing, but I understand they are saying that they had to artificially speed up the footage of the fight against the guns. I can't say I like that idea. Speeded up footage in very easy to spot, and it looks fake. I hope they didn't use that technic too much... In the one-cut fight footage that they released, I didn't notice speeded up footage, but in the fight scene of Lee Min-hyuk it's very clear they speeded up the footage and used CGI. 

I edited my translation a bit. I didnt get the impression that they artificially sped up the footage in the fight. I thought what they meant was JH himself was very fast due to his training and practice.

1 hour ago, azureblue7 said:

Hahaha! Then we might get to see his abs..

Haha, nice wish

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

Jang Hyuk stars in 'Swordsman,' packed with spirited action scene

optimize

Period action film "The Swordsman" boasts stylish action scenes with sword fights, martial arts and horseback riding.

Set in the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910) after King Gwanghae was dethroned in a coup, the story follows Tae-yeul (Jang Hyuk) ― a former royal guard and swordsman ― who goes in search of his teenage daughter after she gets kidnapped by Qing Dynasty warriors.

Jang, who is known to regularly practice jeet kune do (a martial art), boxing and horseback riding, fills the big screen with breathless action sequences.

"Handling the sword when filming action scenes was difficult. However, I managed to move the sword with me when I did my flips, turned and jumped and everything," he said during an online press event for "The Swordsman" in Seoul, Thursday. "Tae-yeul is a character who is slowly losing his eyesight, so I had to portray a blank expression and empty eyes throughout the film."

Instead of relying on his sight, Tae-yeul depends on sounds and "qi," a Chinese term for life energy," to track down and fight off the villains.

BTOB's Lee Min-hyuk is making his big screen debut, playing the younger version of Tae-yeul, who fails to protect the king after being attacked by rebel forces during the Ming-Qing transition period. Feeling guilty that he couldn't protect his king, Tae-yeul retires and chooses to live in the mountain with his daughter.

185cc87555e24d9d87f735cf0b591ac9.jpg

Lee displays stunning action in a sword-fighting scene between Tae-yeul and his master Min Seung-ho (played by Jung Man-sik).

Director Choi Jae-hoon praised Lee, commenting, "Min-hyuk is a great actor who has a strong impact when he appears on screen. He also has good facial expressions and gazes."

An Indonesian actor Joe Taslim, who stars as a Qing Dynasty warrior, is a shape-shifting villain who faces off against Tae-yeul. His actions are stylish as he was on the Indonesian national judo team.

Jang described the film as the Korean equivalent of "Leon: The Professional" (1994). "I feel like our film has some similarities with Leon, in which the hitman tries to protect the girl from killers. In 'The Swordsman,' I have no other choices but to set out on a mission to save my daughter," he said.

"The Swordsman" will hit local theaters on Sept. 23.

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2020/09/398_296289.html

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

I edited my translation a bit. I didnt get the impression that they artificially sped up the footage in the fight. I thought what they meant was JH himself was very fast due to his training and practice.

I don't think they are talking about the no-cut 200s fight scene  that they released. I think they are referring to another scene in which Tae Yul is facing people with guns. I think we saw the beginning of that scene in the first trailer at 0:58: 

The edited translation makes me feel better- I really don't like sped up fight scenes... Look at the scene of the young Tae Yul- there you can clearly see the scene is sped up. Also, there was a scene in Chuno in which Dae gil was fighting his friend, and you can notice that the end of the scene was sped up, which ruined it to me... 

• Like 3

Swordsman TV ON AIR, see you this weekend!
9/19 (Saturday) 10:20 KBS_movie is good
9/19 (Sat) 10:55 SBS_Connection Movie World
9/20 (Sunday) 12:10 MBC_Videos Travel
Jang Hyuk's exclusive interview 

The mere mention of it makes my heart happy. A series of exhilarating actions!
A collection of press releases reviews!

CGV and Lotte Cinemas advance booking has began!

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

Jang Hyuk stars in 'Swordsman,' packed with spirited action scenes

By Kwak Yeon-soo

Set in the Joseon Kingdom (1392-1910) after King Gwanghae was dethroned in a coup, the story follows Tae-yeul (Jang Hyuk) ― a former royal guard and swordsman ― who goes in search of his teenage daughter after she gets kidnapped by Qing Dynasty warriors. 

Jang, who is known to regularly practice jeet kune do (a martial art), boxing and horseback riding, fills the big screen with breathless action sequences. 

"Handling the sword when filming action scenes was difficult. However, I managed to move the sword with me when I did my flips, turned and jumped and everything," he said during an online press event for "The Swordsman" in Seoul, Thursday. "Tae-yeul is a character who is slowly losing his eyesight, so I had to portray a blank expression and empty eyes throughout the film."
Instead of relying on his sight, Tae-yeul depends on sounds and "qi," a Chinese term for life energy," to track down and fight off the villains

Read full article:
http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=296289

• Thanks 1

Screening Film Daily Box Office on 21 Sep.

Btw yesterday was some special preview screening, the movie has not officially opened yet.

1 Tenet an audience of 15,649
2 Mulan an audience of 11,879
3 Oh! My Gran 4,181
4 Beauty Water 1,873

5 The Swordsman 539

6 The Woman who ran away 538 
7 Deliver us from evil 505
8 The Emperor of Paris 471
9 The Rental: 394 
10 The New Mutant 266

https://search.naver.com/search.naver?where=nexearch&sm=tab_etc&pkid=68&os=6009919&query=검객

• Thanks 2

Tomorrow is the day!

New update from Jang Hyuk's instagram.

Btw his account is set to public now, so those who had not followed him earlier, quickly do so !!

EiexHvlUMAAhBHK?format=jpg&name=large

Actress Lee Chae-young, posted a pic of her watching 'The Swordsman' with director Yoon Young-bin yesterday

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20200922

http://pop.heraldcorp.com/view.php?ud=202009220015517349648_1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

New trailer released by Opus Pictures on youtube, fb and instagram

Keep your eyes wide open and concentrate.‼️

Oh dear, I was panting to catch my breath watching the trailer! :sweatingbullets: With all these trailers released, I've raised my hope high, pls don't disappoint me. Haha. :P

• Like 3