1 hour ago, Prettysup said:

@Biology Lesson @dramafan33 Yeah the action looks amazing and so realistic! And that cowering minion hiding at the side was impressed too, he said," How can there be a man like this?" haha. I hope someone nurses his injuries though, poor TY

Meanwhile 7 days countdown to The Swordsman!

He makes the action scenes look so realistic! And yes, really hope someone will help nurse his injuries and wash his hair too..:bashful:

Edited by Jillia
Please do not quote videos! Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1

35 minutes ago, azureblue7 said:

He makes the action scenes look so realistic! And yes, really hope someone will help nurse his injuries and wash his hair too..

Ahh why does everyone think he didn't wash his hair? Just becoz it is messy doesn't mean it is dirty ah. It can be messy but clean u know..

118436179_1752629751579346_5637438138258

• LOL 3

3 hours ago, azureblue7 said:

He makes the action scenes look so realistic! And yes, really hope someone will help nurse his injuries and wash his hair too..

Not only his hair. Wash all of him! I mean, it looks like he's wearing the same thing throughout the movie, and there is more and more blood on his clothing :blink:

I wonder if whoever nurses him will nurse him in the same way the girl from MC did- no cleaning, no wiping, just bandaging him haphazardly... <_<

2 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Ahh why does everyone think he didn't wash his hair? Just becoz it is messy doesn't mean it is dirty ah. It can be messy but clean u know..

Look at his hair- it's clearly greasy! Well, at least the wig is :) Where is Lee gunn's shampoo when you need it...

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

2 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

Not only his hair. Wash all of him! I mean, it looks like he's wearing the same thing throughout the movie, and there is more and more blood on his clothing :blink:

I wonder if whoever nurses him will nurse him in the same way the girl from MC did- no cleaning, no wiping, just bandaging him haphazardly... <_<

Look at his hair- it's clearly greasy! Well, at least the wig is :) Where is Lee gunn's shampoo when you need it...

Yeah, the greasy hair is blocking his vision too and doesn't his face feel itchy? :lol:

Screenshot-20200916-160620.jpg

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

First release of'Swordsman'.. Real action of Jang Hyuk shining in the dark

The movie 'Swordsman' (director Choi Jae-hoon) took off the veil. Jang Hyuk's real action, who hadn't seen the light for 3 years, shined.

On the afternoon of the 16th, a press release preview of the movie'Swordsman' was held at CGV Yongsan I'Park Mall in Yongsan-gu, Seoul. The media distribution preview for'The Swordsman' held on that day only admitted to reporters with fewer than 49 people per theater. It was held while the quarantine regulations such as wearing a mask and raising the gap between the seats were well observed.

'Swordsman' is a real chase action movie that begins when Tae-yul, the best swordsman of Joseon (played by Jang Hyeok), who left the world after the demise of Gwanghae-gun, raised his sword again to find his missing daughter. Hyuk Jang, Hyunsoo Kim, Taslim Jo, Mansik Jeong, Nakyung Lee, Lee Minhyuk B2B, Jinho Choi, and Hyunsung Jang appeared.

Based on historical facts, the fictional'Swordsman' attracted attention even before the veil was taken off. The high-difficulty action known to be digested by Jang Hyuk himself caught the eye.

The released'Swordsman' announced the beginning of the story through ink paintings like animation. The overall background of'Swordsman' is dark. The situation that Jang Hyuk faces in the play is difficult, and the situation is also difficult. In this darkness, Jang Hyuk's existence shone. In addition, the vivid sound that rings in the ears was added to increase the heart rate.
'Swordsman' quenchs the thirst for the real action historical drama genre. In particular, Jang Hyuk's real action cannot take his eyes off. If you look at the image in'Swordsman', you may think of his masterpiece'Chuno'. It attracts attention by radiating another charisma from the drama'My Country' that ended last year. It is said that Jang Hyeok thought about the martial arts team and the overall concept from the preliminary preparation process for'Swordsman'. He designed his own action and made him admire.

Meanwhile,'Swordsman' will be released on the 17th.

Reporter Kang Min-kyung light39@mtstarnews.com
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

[MOVIE REVIEW] "Jang Hyuk + Historical drama + Action = Impressive" 'The Swordsman' is swirling Korean swordsmanship 

It's been a swirling 100 minutes. It is "The Swordsman" who put all his energy into swordplay action that matches the title, focusing on the acting skills of the trusted actors.

A press preview of the movie "The Swordsman (Director Choi Jae-hoon)" was held at CGV Yongsan I'Park Mall in Seoul on Wednesday. The preview was screened without a press conference to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus infection (COVID-19) along with the government's policy of continuing 2.2 stages of social distance.

Some of the cast, including Kim Hyun-soo, was at the scene and watched the completed film. Director Choi Jae-hoon, Jang Hyuk, and Kim Hyun-soo will deliver their thoughts on the first release of the movie and behind-the-scenes stories through an online press conference on Thursday morning. The movie will be released after a long period of time of 3 years.

"The Swordsman" is a real chase action that begins when Tae-yul, the best swordsman of Joseon who turned his back on the world, raises his sword again to find his lost daughter after the deposed of Gwanghaegun. There is a feast of colorful characters, but the main character is the "sword" itself. Those who hold the sword in their hands always have their ways and reasons.

It is a masterpiece that can open a new chapter in the Korean fencing and action genre. From the opening to the ending, it is full of weight and brilliant swordsmanship. Various production techniques that highlight swordsmanship attract tension and speed. The blade flying in front of the eye explains the identity of the movie.

It is the actors who make predictable stories unpredicatabe. Jang Hyuk as Tae-yul who explodes the swordsman's instincts to save his kidnapped daughter, Hollywood actor Joe Taslim, who played the Qing Dynasty's Imperial Family Gurutai, and Jung Man-sik as Min Seung-ho, the Joseon First Sword and King's Guard, will lead the Swordsman.

The combination of historical drama, action and Jang Hyuk is always right. The scent of the coriander in his lethargic appearance after turning his back on the world is strong. Merciless swordsmanship, which maximizes animal senses, evokes both emotion and exhilaration, and once again imprints on actor Jang Hyuk's strengths and abilities. The crazy eyes are thrilling.

Joe Taslim's presence is also unique. From the visuals, he takes the pinnacle of savageness. Speaking of the Qing Dynasty and Korean language freely, and using the fearless dignity of the world, it is the art of angering viewers while at the same time enhancing the taste of the character.

Jung Man-sik who is not acting as a villain but has completely erased his comic image, is also surprising. He performed his best in the position of a warrior driven by faith and showed off his heavy authentic performance. The ability to digest characters that would have lived in those times is scary.

Unexpectedly, Lee Min-hyuk, who played the role of a double-edged man, stood out. You do not see him as a BTOB idol member here. Unlike his fine looks, his raw and intense eyes are impressive and he has a strong grip on the screen. The spoiler character is expected to bring fresh fun to the audience.

In action movies, female characters are also strong. Kim Hyun-soo, who played Tae-yul's daughter, Lee Na-kyung who played Hwa Seon, the one who endured the world with one dagger, and all other women who appeared boast their own personalities and loyalty. Jang Hyun-sung, who made a special appearance as King Gwanghae, is expected to increase his level of perfection by the perfect casting.

Filmed in the fall of 2017, "The Swordsman," which is finally being released after three years, met many setbacks post-production, the initially planned promotion and the release last summer was quietly canceled, eventually meeting the audience during the Covid-19 situation.

"The Swordsman,"is scheduled to open on the 23rd Sept during the Chuseok holiday season. It is noteworthy whether unfamiliar but stylish Korean swordsmanship action in a familiar story will bring the audience to the theaters.

http://isplus.live.joins.com/news/article/article.asp?total_id=23873600

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Prettysup said:

Director Choi Jae-hoon, Jang Hyuk, and Kim Hyun-soo will deliver their thoughts on the first release of the movie and behind-the-scenes stories through an online press conference on Thursday morning. The movie will be released after a long period of time of 3 years.

So according to this JH will participate in tomorrow's online press conference

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Biology Lesson said:

So according to this JH will participate in tomorrow's online press conference

Yeah but not too sure delivering his thoughts live or pre-recorded? Anyway I am keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed.

Btw the review said Lee Min-hyuk's character is a spoiler. I wonder is there more to it??

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Prettysup said:

Err, it sure doesn't look clean to me.... but its ok becos its JH ^_^ And say... I'm really awed by the fighting sequence, excited by his injuries, and hopeful that someone will nurse him, ahh...I wish I'm one of the reporter in the movie preview :please:

• Like 4

This article admits Minhyuk is playing young Tae Yul, but it also says he and JH have a double role (?)... whatever that mean... 

'Swordsman' Jang Hyuk "B2B Lee Min-hyuk, desperately trying to act in action... very sincere."

In the morning of the 17th, a press conference for the movie 'The Swordsman' (Director Jae-Hoon Choi, Offers Pictures, The Wave E&M, Production Opus Pictures) was held through live online broadcasting. Leading actors Jang Hyuk, Kim Hyun-soo, and Choi Jae-hoon were present.

In'Swordsman', including Jang Hyuk and Kim Hyeon-su, Jeong Man-sik, Jang Hyun-sung, Na-kyung, and idol group B2B's Lee Min-hyuk appear. Lee Min-hyuk played Tae-yul (played by Jang Hyeok) when he was young, and Jang Hyeok took on the role of two people. Debut on the screen through this movie 'Swordsman'.

Director Choi Jae-hoon said, "I hid Lee Min-hyuk's appearance at all. It wasn't a reversal, but I didn't want it to be released early. At first, I didn't know how well Min-hyuk was doing that well. I met a few people after receiving recommendations, but the appearance conditions are action. There was a condition that I had to do it myself, and I couldn't use the band. However, Minhyuk had tremendous athleticism among idols. I was surprised more than I imagined.”

He said, "His friend also had an athleticism as well as actor Jang-hyuk. It was a pleasure to say that he was really famous among idols. Min-hyuk also digested the action scenes well, and life and sadness should be well revealed when expressing with eyes instead of lines. I felt the synchro-yul. He gave me a good empty look at the other person. I would like to lend this position to congratulate me and say thank you."

Senior Jang Hyeok said, "It is true that Minhyuk has a good sense of movement. But he put a lot of effort into it. If the efforts for the role were not supported until the action sum was made, that feeling would not have come out. The process of preparing the character is desperate. I think I did. As I watched from the side, I praised him as "a very sincere friend."

On the other hand,'Swordsman' is a real pursuit action that begins when Tae-yul (Jang Hyuk), the best swordsman of Joseon who left the world after the demise of Gwanghae-gun, raises his sword again to find his daughter Tae-ok (played by Kim Hyun-su). Released on the 23rd

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/109/0004274893?lfrom=twitter

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jane17827 has kindly translated JH comments on working with Joe Taslim. His answers are never simple, are they? but also they do convey the reality, that is a bit more complex :) Caption:

A very rough translation of JH’s comments on Joe Taslim today at the “The Swordsman” production conference

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFOedo5po0Y/

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

No idea what they were saying but you can watch Jang Hyuk, Kim Hyun-soo and the director talking here

And the support for Swordsman done by Jang Hyuk's Japanese fans

6 hours ago, Biology Lesson said:

This article admits Minhyuk is playing young Tae Yul, but it also says he and JH have a double role (?)... whatever that mean... 

Sounds like he is acting 2 characters ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Jang Hyuk challenges 'The Swordsman' action

Jang Hyuk (44), the main actor, spoke at an online press conference for the new historical action film "The Swordsman" (directed by Choi Jae-hoon, released on 23 September). He, who has been considered an action actor since fantasy film "Volcano High" (2001), drama "Chuno" (2010), and "Bad Papa" (2018), is now challenging swordsmanship action. The movie is like the Joseon version of "The Man from Nowhere." Tae-yul, the main character of the movie, is the best swordsman of the Joseon Dynasty who disappeared after the king was deposed. Tae-yul, who is losing her sight, turns away from Joseon, which is in chaos amid the confrontation between Ming and Qing, but starts a ruthless chase after his only daughter Tae-ok (Kim Hyun-soo) is taken away as a princess of the Qing Dynasty.

The movie added a lot of imagination to Gwanghaegun and the surviving Siksol, rather than following history strictly. Director Choi Jae-hoon, who has been in charge of art teams in movie “Rules of Dating” and drama “Princess Aurora,” made his directional debut here as well as the screenplay.

Jang Hyuk, who participated in the sword action concept discussions together with the martial arts team right from the preparation process, explained that the using a sword was distinctly different from the bare hands action. "Due to the length of the sword, the distance I execute has to be increased. The eyes and poses of the character were also different from the general action, matching the sharpness of the sword."

Unlike a well-trained general, Tae-yul's swordsmanship is characterized by anomalies. Choi said, "Every character has a sword concept, and Tae-yul's swordmanship is a martial art he learned in order to survive on his own. Unlike the traditional swordsmanship of the guard warrior (Jung Man-sik), Tae-yul invented a short sword that was optimized for natural speed" he said. "It is a double-edged sword that was not used in that time, and it is designed to be used either upside down or upright and has a free direction."

The most elaborate scene is a 1 against 100 match of Tae-yul, whose vision is becoming blurred, against the Qing army armed with guns. In order to capture exaggerated scenes as realistically as possible, he used the "original cut" technique of filming at once without dividing the scenes, which is hard to deceive through editing Although computer graphics (CG) and special effects were also used, the speed of action manged to be increased to Jang Hyuk's training. Choi said, "The sword must be three times faster than the fist (to look fast). Despite the risk, Jang Hyuk practiced a lot, saying honestly, "Humans can't be faster than guns". He added "I had to hide in the crowd and use shields to avoid the guns and use a lot of 'smapping' (because the cuts were not divided). It was not easy because the sum of the lines and angles that CG had to fit in the scene was complicated".

The process of the character's blurring vision was divided into three stages and replaced with a special lens that was gradually darkened. The actor's real field of view was also affected by the lens. Jang Hyuk said, "Because I do not know if I could see, I lowered most of my eyes by 45 degrees and practiced with a feeling when I played speedball in the boxing arena".

The role of Gurutai, a Qing dynasty royalty who faces off against Jang Hyuk, is played by Indonesian actor Joe Taslim, who has starred in Hollywood blockbusters such as "The Fast and the Furious: The Maxim" and "Star Trek Beyond." Jang Hyuk said, " Joe Taslim was so fast that I was injured, but he kept training, so the speed and rhythm of the action were sometimes anomalous and offbeat," and added, "When you play soccer, you need to give a bounce to your opponent in each position, and that's how we worked well together."

There is also a junior actor who Jang Hyuk paid attention to. Lee Min-hyuk of BTOB an idol group, made his big screen debut as Tae-yul's youth. Jang Hyuk said, "He is very athletic, and worked really hard," and added, "I watched the training process from the side, but if the effort to do anything about the role was not supported, such result would not have come out. He praised him as a friend who has urgency and sincerity to get to know the character as an actor."

https://news.joins.com/article/23875267

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The most elaborate scene is a one-on-one match of Tae-yul, whose vision is becoming blurred, against the Qing army armed with guns. In order to capture exaggerated scenes as realistically as possible, he used the "original cut" technique of filming at once without dividing the scenes, which is hard to deceive through editing Although computer graphics (CG) and special effects were also used, the speed of action was increased to Jang Hyuk's training. Choi said, "The sword must be three times faster than the fist (to look fast). Despite the risk, Jang Hyuk practiced a lot, saying, "Let's do it willingly." "People can't be faster than guns," Jang Hyuk's honest remarks. "I had to hide in the crowd and use a shield to avoid guns and use a lot of 'music and music' (because I didn't divide the cuts), it was not easy because the sum of the lines and angles that CG had to go in the scene was complicated," he said.

The translation is a bit confusing, but I understand they are saying that they had to artificially speed up the footage of the fight against the guns. I can't say I like that idea. Speeded up footage in very easy to spot, and it looks fake. I hope they didn't use that technic too much... In the one-cut fight footage that they released, I didn't notice speeded up footage, but in the fight scene of Lee Min-hyuk it's very clear they speeded up the footage and used CGI. 

The process of blurred vision was divided into three stages and replaced with a special lens that was gradually blurred. The real actor's vision is also disturbed by the lens. Jang Hyuk said, "I lowered most of my eyes by 45 degrees and practiced with a feeling when I played speedball in the boxing arena because I didn't know if I could see or not."

This is fascinating- so Tae Yul's vision is going to get worse as the movie progressed. Cool to hear how they conveyed that to the audience. And even cooler to hear how JH made it look authentic.

The role of Gurutai, a Qing dynasty emperor who faces off against Jang Hyuk, is played by Indonesian actor Joe Taslim, who has starred in Hollywood blockbusters such as "The Fast and the Furious: The Maxim" and "Star Trek Beyond." Jang Hyuk said, " Joe Taslim was so fast that I was injured, but he kept training, so the speed and rhythm of the action were sometimes anomalous and offbeat," and added, "When you play soccer, you need to give a bounce to your opponent in each position, and that's how we worked well together."

There is also a junior actor who Jang Hyuk paid attention to. Lee Min-hyuk of B2B, an idol group that tmade its screen debut as Taeyul's boy band. Jang Hyuk said, "I'm very athletic, but I really worked hard," and added, "I watched the training process from the side, and there was concentration, but if it weren't supported by my efforts to do anything about the role, I wouldn't have gotten that sum. He is a friend who has the urgency and sincerity of the process of getting to know the character as an actor."

https://news.joins.com/article/23875267

JH is so gracious in the way he praises his co-stars, even when they injure him :) 

• Like 2