HIFF40 (40th Hawaii International Film Festival) presented by Halekulani (November 5-29) announces film lineup and hybrid event with select cinema screenings & online streaming available nationwide

https://hiff.org/hiff40/

HIFF40 VIRTUAL FESTIVAL AT A GLANCE
Click the title for more information and to purchase access to the film or buy a PASS and login to watch movies on your device,  Apple TV, Roku, or Amazon Fire TV just download the HAWAII INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL app on your device.

https://hiff.org/hiff40-virtual-schedule/

Buy Pass or Individual Ticket

https://hiff.org/festival-passes/

THE SWORDSMAN

AVAILABLE ONLINE NOV 5 - 15 | USA
INCLUDED PASSES: SUPPORTER | ALL ACCESS

https://fp.hiff.org/films/detail/the_swordsman_2020

EkCSIvXUYAAG_mS?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Jang Hyuk & Joe Taslim practice expression & language in "The Swordsman"
 Monday, 12 October 2020 

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Two well-known actors, namely Joe Taslim from Indonesia and Jang Hyuk from  South Korea, met for the first time in a film, "The Swordsman".

Like when playing characters in previous films, these two actors prepared themselves the best they could in order to be immersed in the character optimally.

For example, Joe, who played the role of Gurutai, an antagonist from the Qing dynasty in the movie, must speak in a language that is not his native Indonesian language.

During three months of filming in South Korea, he had to research the language he should use, as well as the history of the dynasty that last ruled China.

“I did a lot of research on the history of the Qing dynasty, then I had to understand the language. As I couldn't really learn the language in three month,  I focused on my lines, my Korean counterparts' lines, then try to understand the reasons for what I was saying. The technical things, like intonation, is very difficult. We worked hard on this film and it is my first Korean film." Joe said in an online press conference Monday.

To make it easier for him to learn the language, Joe carried a tape recorder around to practice his lines and listen to them.

On the other hand, he also have to practice his sword skills because this is an action film that uses swords as a weapon (swords action movie). According to Joe this was the most difficult but enjoyable preparation during his career in acting.

“This is my first swords action movie, I trained with fellow stuntmen, practicing using swords every day, including at the hotel. I got new skills, very grateful, "he said.

On the other hand, Jang Hyuk who plays the character of the greatest swordsman of the Joseon dynasty named Tae-yul tries to dive into the character starting from a simple expression.

Jang Hyuk admits that he is interested in the character Tae-yul, who tried to save his daughter even though he is losing his sight. He feels that the character and the story in 'The Swordsman' can connect with the audience and hopes to bring the audience more and more connected through his acting. "Tae-yul tries to save his daughter, the one he loves. The swordsman who loses sight and tries to hide from the world. Okay, the sword is a big part of it, and the strategy to save the daughter. I tried to start with a simple expression. I tried to practice without looking, trying to blur my vision and not using it. I practiced facial expressions and acting for this," he said.

Apart from them, the film also stars other South Korean actors namely Jung Man-sik, Kim Hyun-soo, Lee Na-kyung and K-pop singer Lee Min-hyuk from BTOB, who just completed his military service recently.

'The Swordsman' tells the story of the greatest swordsman and royal guard in Joseon named Tae-yul (Jang Hyuk) who was forced to go into hiding after the downfall of King Gwanghae. Joseon was then caught between the conflict of the Qing and Ming dynasties, and was under the mercy of the Qing envoy, as well as the ridiculous demands of the slave trader named Gurutai (Joe Taslim).

Amid the suffering of the people, Tae-yul's daughter was taken away as a tribute to the Qing dynasty, and he had no choice but to return with his sword to face the enemy in order to rescue her.

The film will be screened in end October in Indonesia, later than Singapore which will release it on 15 October.

121105735_1795527633956224_7610614861283

joe5.png

https://www.antaranews.com/berita/1778989/jang-hyuk-joe-taslim-latihan-ekpresi-bahasa-di-the-swordsman

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The hardest scene in "The Swordsman" according to Joe Taslim and Jang Hyuk
 Monday, 12 October 2020 

Jakarta (ANTARA) - Indonesian actor Joe Taslim and actor Jang Hyuk from South Korea have their own views about the most difficult scene during the shooting of the film "The Swordsman" in South Korea some time ago.

Jang Hyuk leaked, the scene at the end of the film was the hardest for him. At that time, the actor who played the greatest swordsman of the Joseon dynasty named Tae-yul had to fight with the antagonist Gurutai (played by Joe Taslim). In that final battle, they had to move quickly but unexpectedly there was a slight problem that occurred.

In that setting, according to Jang Hyuk, Gurutai's skills were at a tremendous high level in terms of martial arts and speed.

“In that scene, I had almost lost all my sight at that time, but Joe's speed was incredible. In the scene that was originally a bit of an accident (problem), ”said Jang Hyuk in an online press conference on Monday.

Regarding this, Joe said that at that time, Gurutai had to win his last fight with Tae-yul, so he had to find the right strategy. Joe did not expect that a problem will befall his partner at that time. "At that time we were moving very fast and we didn't know (what happened) to Jang Hyuk, we were moving faster and faster. My fault was not being careful enough." he said.

However both Joe and Jang Hyuk felt that the scene was unforgettable during filming. Jang Hyuk even admitted to being closer to Joe because of the last scene.

'The Swordsman' tells the story of the greatest swordsman and royal guard in Joseon named Tae-yul (Jang Hyuk) who was forced to go into hiding after the downfall of King Gwanghae. However because his daughter was taken away, he was forced to draw his sword to fight again.

The 100-minute film directed by Choi Jae-hoon will be screened in end October in Indonesia.

"This is an interesting film, there is a story of a father's looking for his daughter. I hope you can support this film. I want you to stay healthy, follow the health advice." said Joe.

"This film is about action, there are many characters to build the story. More than that, I think this film is something that the audience can relate to. The story is interesting, I hope the message can reach you." said Jang Hyuk.

121155302_1795537530621901_8507545692028

joejoe.png.webp

https://www.antaranews.com/berita/1779129/adegan-tersulit-di-the-swordsman-menurut-joe-taslim-dan-jang-hyuk

• Thanks 4

Praise each other in the style of Jang Hyuk and Joe Taslim

Jakarta (AJ) - Although this is the first time they met in a film project, "The Swordsman", South Korean actors Jang Hyuk and Joe Taslim have been able to praise each other.

Jang Hyuk, who knows Joe's career has reached Hollywood, said the figure of his new partner in acting is so humble. He also praised Joe for his hard work on their film project.

“He is very humble and his hard work for this project is extraordinary. I thought, wanted to call it respect. After we saw the last scene in the film, I thought it was interesting. I think this is one of the best scenes during my filming with other actors, ”said Jang Hyuk in an online press conference on Monday.

Jang Hyuk also praised Joe's South Korean language skills. He called Joe's speech in Korean so extraordinary that it seemed that language was no longer a problem. Not only that, Jang Hyuk was also impressed by Joe's actions in various action scenes.

“There are various dangerous scenes and Joe is very careful. I think everyone also knows he's an amazing actor, and so does his behavior. Once again I was very impressed, "he said.

On the other hand, Joe is amazed at the figure of Jang Hyuk who is so professional even though he suffered an injury during filming.

“I'm proud of Jang Hyuk, and respect him. He's a big artist, when he got injured and really needed time to recover but he still said he was fine (quickly), then went back to shooting the scene. Wow, the energy is amazing. I really appreciate it, "said Joe.

He admitted that he learned a lot from Jang Hyuk starting from his motivation to portray a character including the details he paid attention to during filming.

“In this film, what I learned a lot about motivation. I learned from Jang Hyuk hyung, trying to get as much information as possible about this film, I think that's the most important thing because when filming starts, we know the characters that are played. Then the character's goals, the details of the action, the climax, "said Joe.

https://asaljeplak.my.id/saling-puji-ala-jang-hyuk-dan-joe-taslim/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dramafan33 said:

@Prettysup Are they saying that JH got injured during that last scene? I’m not sure I understood 

According to this chinese article,

https://www.uweekly.sg/showbiz/105449

they fought faster and faster for the last scene and before he knew it, he accidentally injured Hyuk near his eye. (That wound Hyuk mentioned in Dragon club ) But Hyuk just told him not to worry, and continued filming after treatment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Geek Review: The Swordsman (2020)
 Fumiko なにOctober 13, 202010 min read

the-swordsman-2020-movie-review-2-1200x6

Finally, a Korean period drama that is all action, and more importantly, devoid of mindless zombies. If you’re looking for a gritty action film filled with spectacular sword-wielding stunt work, Joseon era drama and good ol’ warriors’ code, The Swordsman will definitely deliver enough to whet the appetite of any action fan. 

Directed and written by Choi Jae-Hoon, the film is designed with meticulous care to costume and makeup while incorporating a whole trove of weaponry for satisfying fight sequences, showcasing a winning formula of mixing a period drama with martial arts. If the “Die Hard on a…” trope defined action cinema in the 90s, audiences are now in the realm of hyper-violent action films as defined by the likes of The Raid and John Wick franchises.

While the nature of The Swordsman leans it more towards a martial arts film with action taking precedence over an admittedly predictable plot, we can’t deny that the story moves along at a well-timed pace packed with amazing action sequences. It wastes no time on unnecessary romances or over-glorified gratuitous fight scenes, and we are thrown right into the heart of an intense chase scene right off the bat. 

The prologue sees the protagonist, Tae-Yul (Jang Hyuk) desperately protecting the emperor against a coup led by Tae-Yul’s mentor Seung-Ho (Jeong Man-Sik). After the doomed battle and fall of Gwanghaegun of Joseon, Tae-Yul retires his sword and leaves for a peaceful life in the mountains. We find out that he does so for his daughter, Tae-Ok (Kim Hyun-Soo).      

The movie takes place during the tumultuous transition times of the Ming-Qing dynasty, so peace for the retired swordsman is unfortunately broken. Like how most Hero’s journeys are written, Tae-Yul receives a call to adventure when he first encounters the thugs from Qing and led by Gurutai (Joe Taslim) in the market. However, like any hero’s journey goes, he refuses the call in favour of maintaining his hermit days to protect Tae-Ok. 

However, we see that Tae-Yul now suffers from deteriorating eyesight and this spurs Tae-Ok to venture down the mountain alone. Tae-Yul’s world is soon shattered when his daughter is taken from him and he is forced to cross the threshold and return to the world of the swordsmen.

Despite its gentle start, featuring sunny days in the mountains for the father-daughter duo, violence and swordplay soon permeate the plot. The swelling score rolls through the film propel the momentum of the action as Tae-Yul slashes down enemy after enemy. 

The wall-to-wall action hits its climax when Tae-Yul makes his way to Lee Mok-Yo’s (a minor unscrupulous noble played by Choi Jin-Ho) residence to face endless waves of Gurutai’s men. The scene is made all the more climatic by Tae-Yul’s quiet entry as compared to the carnage onscreen seconds before when the men, armed with guns, shot down Lee’s entire platoon of guards.

Cue wild barrage of gunfire and some Matrix-like slow-mo bullet-dodging action, Tae-Yul’s onslaught against the men is relentless. With only a sword, he is able to slice through the first wave of gunmen and power through a group of ninja-like masked assassins. Coupled with smooth continuous shots of the action, the entire scene was bloody with a capital B. But, the blood at some points did tend to look obviously digital and could have worked better with more realistic spurts. 

Amidst all the action in The Swordsman, we see a build-up to the final boss fight with Gurutai via the menacing hold he has over both the Joseon officials and the three barbaric thugs. Being the cream of the crop in terms of sword skills, the final fight is an escalating intensive sword slashing sequence. The only issue we had with the scene was that it felt as though the final fight ended too soon and we’d love to have seen more of the two characters pitted directly against each other.

So yes, this leads to the few gripes we have with the film. Seung-ho’s first battle against Tae-Yul implies that he is a much better swordsman than our protagonist, but in the film, he ends up doing very little swordwork. Maybe, it could have been related to the aged warrior’s philosophical outlook on swordsmanship changing due to the regressive state the nation was in after he led the coup. Most of his action is only ever mentioned in passing or through small fights that seem ornamental compared to his opening battle in the prologue.

Similarly for Gurutai, who is played by martial-arts expert Joe Taslim (of The Raid fame). As a fierce swordsman with his own albeit twisted code of honour, he struts around with an air of superiority as the Joseon warriors are unable to touch him in fear of retaliation from the powerful Qing kingdom. Gurutai is first introduced in a scene with a suaveness in contrast with the flittering Joseon nobles and doesn’t hesitate to expose his menacing aura. One would expect more action from the character throughout the movie, considering that the actor playing him is known for his spectacular long take fight sequences, though we can understand that they may have curbed this due to the want for a more intense foreshadowing and build-up of mystery surrounding the “final boss” of this action film. 

Yet, aside from these small action woes, the film hits the nail on the head characterisation wise. 

Jang Hyuk was able to express so much with so little said as Tae-Yul is a man of few words but with a strong code of honour. He spends the first half taking down enemies with a cane, thwarting villains without unsheathing his sword and just glaring them down, attesting to his skills as a warrior and morals (and ramping up his coolness points). He would rather avoid fights when possible, even lowering himself on his knees at one point for his daughter’s safety. 

However, despite being a silent warrior with a puppy-dog face portrayed by Jang Hyuk, the swordsman doesn’t hesitate to switch back to killing with actual weapons when he realises that submission is no longer a way to maintain his peace. 

K-pop fans will also be pleasantly surprised to see BTOB’s Minhyuk transform into a rugged swordsman as he portrays the younger version of Tae-Yul. The Swordsman marks his big-screen debut, and here, the singer shows off his acting chops with strong facial expressions, swift movements and intense gazes.

Tae-Yul shares a close bond with his bubbly daughter who adds a breath of fresh air to his quiet life. We appreciate how the film doesn’t go with the overused trope of a warrior retiring his blade due to a painful past and instead see that Tae-Yul did so in order to protect Tae-Ok with a peaceful sheltered life away from the brewing chaos. When Tae-Yul drops the line, “My daughter my nation,” it can be taken figuratively but there is another explanation behind that line which viewers will have to watch to find out. 

Kim Hyun-Soo plays the daughter who is bold, yes acts with a will well ahead of her time but not in a brash manner. She cares deeply for her father and respects him, only showing defiance out of concern for his ailing eyesight which he refuses to tend to. How the film was trying to portray Tae-Yul’s onset of blindness could discombobulate audiences though, as the weird ringing and wooziness made it seem that he had some bad head trauma and was not simply going blind. The film itself doesn’t elaborate on the illness either so everything is based on speculation. 

Through Tae-Ok, the film takes a break from the action at times and opens up towards the period drama aspect with her adventure down the mountain and frolicking through the colourful market streets. It’s too bad that she didn’t get more screen time to show off her character and demonstrate more of her spunk. But perhaps, it wouldn’t have fit into the narrative or may have taken up too much time.

Leading a trio of ruthless thugs and a band of bandits they terrorise the Joseon villages with slave debts which the Joseon guards have no choice but to close both eyes too. And for all his code of honour dictates, it becomes his weakness as he is quickly blindsided by it when Tae-Yul makes an unexpected move in the final confrontation. 

Unlike Tae-Yul, Gurutai is a man of many words and has a lot to say about the Joseon people and their nobles. It is pretty impressive with how well Taslim, an actor from Indonesia, is able to pronounce and delivers each line without faltering and even manages to infuse the right amount of menace in each syllable. He even executes the older historical accent that some Korean period dramas will use, with a natural lilt which is a huge achievement even for native Korean speakers. What’s more, this is also his first time doing action with a sword, yet he executed the moves flawlessly, showing his true martial art prowess.

The trio of thugs burst into the scene in a flurry of hoofbeats and over-the-top hairdos. Their brutality is established with their merciless beatings of a defenceless villager and savage choice of weaponry. Yet, despite all their bullying, they are easily overwhelmed by our protagonist. Though the fact that they could sense that Tae-Yul was skilled with a sword, without being fooled by his meek demeanour as others were, could attest to their experience in fighting and swordplay.

And as with how most period dramas are fashioned to match the ways of that time period, the women are treated more as mere decorative figures or transactional goods. Thankfully, the film does not have drawn out gratuitous scenes with regards to their low treatment. Moreover, we do have some girls inside who attempt to subvert the norms such as the trading port lady and Tae-Ok herself.

Furthermore, despite the epic choreographed fight scenes, the film pays diligent attention to detail too. The costume designs for the main characters are simple but effective in portraying their personalities and statuses. Even the makeup is top-notch and consistent throughout, paying special care to the cuts and old injuries that the characters bore. 

The sound design is nothing to ignore too and if anything has to be lauded for its ability to feed to the action. Every draw and swing of the sword is accompanied by an answering ring and the thuds and thumps help every blow feel more weighted and real. Even the simple sounds such as the clicks and clacks of the nobles’ accessories and the crunching of gravel beneath the guard’s boots helped to develop the look of the character beyond what can be seen visually (ASMR anyone?). These small sound effects help build the intensity of blood-pumping scenes due to its contrast with the escalation of noises brought about by the chaos. 

The Swordsman is a wonderful blend of meticulously choreographed swordplay and enough drama to make us invested in the characters despite its simple plot. The film’s ruminative tone is interspersed with well-paced action and gentle moments and even ends on a bittersweet heartwarming note. It truly is up to scratch with what a good action film should look like and is a huge accomplishment as a directorial debut for Choi.

GEEK REVIEW SCORE

Summary

The Swordsman is an impressive Korean period action film filled with meticulously choreographed swordplay and complex characters which will satisfy any die-hard fans of this genre.

Overall - 8.6/10

Story - 7/10
Direction - 9.5/10
Characterisation - 9/10
Geek Satisfaction - 9/10

https://geekculture.co/geek-review-the-swordsman-2020/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

"The Swordsman" - accident during intense duel, Jang Hyuk almost disfigured

Korean male god Jang Hyuk had an accident when filming the intense life-and-death climax scene of the ancient film "The Swordsman", his face was injured by a sharp sword and almost disfigured!

20201013_enews_smzhanghe3_Small.jpg

The story of the ancient film "The Swordsman" tells the story of the chaos between the Qing and Ming dynasties and Joseon. After King Gwanghae abolished the throne, the number 1 Korean swordsman Tae-yul (Jang Hyuk) retired from the world and no longer intervened in government affairs. But things went against his wishes as his daughter (Kim Hyun Soo) was captured by the Qing Dynasty royal family Gurutai (Joe Taslim) when she was finding ways to heal his eyes. Tae-yul was forced to raise the sword again to save her...

South Korean male god Jang Hyuk played "Tae-yul". He appeared in the Zoom video press conference yesterday for the new film "The Swordsman" together Joe Taslim (referred to as Joe) who played the Qing Dynasty royal family. Jang Hyuk wore a black suit and with his hair curled slightly, exuding the feel of an unruly swordsman even not filming. His voice is very low, his eyes are determined, and he has a friendly attitude. Joe Taslim, who always carried a wicked smile in the film, has short  hair, is very eloquent in English, and has a tough and sunny appearance. .

"The Swordsman" is ferocious, Jang Hyuk’s excellent in martial arts, fast, accurate and vicious with his sword. The Indonesian actor who played his opponent, Joe Taslim, has a strong background. He is a member of the national judo team in Indonesia, representing his country in several international championships, and also acted in Hollywood's 'Fast and Furious 6'!

When asked about the most memorable scene in the filming of "Swordsman",  Joe picked the last life-and-death showdown, when the two sides fought for dozens of rounds with sword and knife. As he was too immensed, Joe used too much force and his sword actually injured Jang Hyuk!

Joe said, "Big stars usually stop filming and rest when they are injured, but Jang Hyuk didn't say anything. He applied the medicine and immediately continued to film the decisive battle scene,  maintaining the fighting vitality. I respect him!" he said.

Jang Hyuk listened and smiled faintly. When the reporter asked about the injury later. He calmly replied making gestures with his hands, "The sharp sword was drawn from the center of the eyebrows from the right to the left. At that moment, the speed was too fast to dodge... .. "The handsome face being scarred the sharp sword. If the opponent had used more force, he would have been disfigured!

But in order not to delay the progress, Jang Hyuk did not call out a cut. After applying the medicine, he continued to fight like a hero

In "The Swordsman", there are a lot of scenes with "daughter" Kim Hyun-soo. In the film, Jang Hyuk has been suppressing his inner feelings. At the last moment of life and death, the father-daughter relationship finally "exploded" when his daughter hugs him tightly. That scene left a deep impression on Jang Hyuk.

In "The Swordsman", Jang Hyuk is referred to the Korean version of "the strongest in the universe."  Even half-blind, he managed to take down 10 opponents. The reporter asked him how his eyesight is in real life? Jang Hyuk nodded and said "I have good eyesight, but occasionally I see double visions at night". Oh but why? He said: "It has something to do with getting older." The well-maintained Jang Hyuk is 46 years old this year.

In order to portray the half-blind swordsman, Jang Hyuk kept his eyes dull, but still killed all the way from the start to the end. He didn't use any stunt double and did all the action scenes himself. His character is a man of few words, making it more challenging to express his inner feelings. The reporter was curious. Does Jang Hyuk feel that actions speak louder than words?

Jang Hyuk agrees that action is greater than "just talking without practice". He mentioned superstar Bruce Lee whom he most admires, so is Bruce Lee his idol?

"No, he is far beyond the status of an idol, he is my spiritual mentor." Jang He quoted Bruce Lee's famous words, to the effect that "Knowing is not enough, we must use it! Hope is not enough, we must do it!"

The remarks reflect that Jang Hyuk himself is an action-practitioner, why waste time talking nonsense?

20201013_enews_smzhanghe4_Small.jpg

Having acted in Hollywood movies, Joe Taslim laughed and said: "Hollywood filming can be done for a maximum of 8 hours a day, so it must be fast enough!"

For the Korean film "Swordsman", Joe stayed in Korea for three months. He fell in love with Korean cuisine. Since many Koreans can speak English, communication was not a problem. However, it is impossible to master Korean dialogue for the new film within two or three months, Joe listened to the pronunciation of the dialogue with a tape recorder and try to understand and digest the dialogue.

In his eyes, Jang Hyuk, whom he addresses as "big brother" , is a person who is meticulous in shooting actions and details. Jang Hyuk, in return praised him for his super quick learning ability.

Speaking of the differences between Hollywood and South Korean filming environment, Joe believes that Hollywood has a complete system and a fine division of labor. The filming must be completed in 8 hours. When filming in South Korea, the crew is very cohesive and feels more like a "family"!

With the current Covid-19 situation, the two male stars get around wearing masks and taking care of a safe distance. Jang Hyuk became an "homeboy". The two people sincerely prayed that the pandemic would pass and the people would return to normal life. Joe did not forget to remind the audience to wear masks when entering the theater to watch " The Swordsman".

"Swordsman" is scheduled to be screened this Thursday (15th).

Translated from https://www.zaobao.com.sg/zentertainment/k-pop/story20201013-1092437

• Thanks 3

'Swordsman of few words' Jang Hyuk : Action beats empty talk

Korean period action film "The Swordsman" starring Korean star Jang Hyuk held an online press conference the day before yesterday. Jang Hyuk made an appearance with Indonesian actor Joe Taslim, who played the antagonist in the film, and was subsequently interviewed by local media.

In the film, Jang Hyuk played a top swordsman whose eyesight was deteriorating due to an injury suffered in a coup d'état. This 'blind swordsman' hid in the mountains to protect his beloved daughter, but became involved in disputes again later in order to save her. His role is a reticent character with few dialogues, letting actions speak above everything else. This seems to coincide with his real self out of the film.

Depicting the process of vision deterioration

Jang He told the reporter, "Yes, I believe that once you speak, you must say sincere words. Action beats empty talk, actions must be consistent with words." When Jang Hyuk first learned Jeet Kune Do conceived by martial arts superstar Bruce Lee, he heard Bruce Lee said that "Actual action is everything". Jang Hyuk said: "I have a lot of resonance with this sentence."

It must be hard to play a character with few words. Jang Hyuk said: "Once you understand the character's mentality, the eyes and expressions will fall in place naturally. What's more difficult is that I have to depict the process of vision deterioration bit by bit, which is very challenging. He added that whenever the character speaks, the dialogue is of heavy-weight stuff. The most memorable line is " This child is my country".

Jang Hyuk has watched the Japanese sword halberd classic 'Zatoishi' "Blind Man" series. Although the story of 'The Swordsman' is similar to the experience of 'Zatoishi' as both involved a 'blind swordsman', he did not learn from this classic Japanese character.

Couldn't dodge the opponent's fast sword

Jang Hyuk was injured while shooting the finale scene. In front of the camera, both he and Joe Taslim were fighting at lightning speed, and the latter accidentally injured him. "It happened in an instant, that scene was very intense. Joe Taslim's sword (pointing to the eye area) came from the right side to the left. I couldn't dodge in time, resulting in a scar on my face." That scene was the highlight of 'The Swordsman', and Jang Hyuk didn't want to affect the progress of the shooting, so he continued to 'fight' after applying the ointment.

So does the 'blind swordsman' in the movie have good vision in real life? He laughed and said that so far it is not bad, but sometimes he sees double images when looking at things at night. "I think this is because I am getting old!"

When Jang Hyuk started filming more than 20 years ago, he was inspired by the spirit of a stuntman and decided to practice martial arts in order to perform his own action scenes. "An accident happened during filming. The stuntman was quite seriously injured, but he insisted on completing all the actions. I respect him very much. At that time, I thought that martial arts action is part of an actor's job. After that, I practice martial arts every day and still enjoy the process of filming action scenes myself."

He made his debut in 1997 and has not forgotten his original intent. He said that he still remembers the cold winter wind blowing around when shooting his earlier works. Many works have been shot over the years, some of which have produced good results and others not so, but the enthusiasm for acting remains unabated.

Regarding the coronavirus pandemic, he said, "During this period, I follow the government's prevention measures, such as wearing a mask, ensuring safe social distancing, washing hands frequently, and staying at home as much as possible. If I need to go out to work, I will take my temperature to ensure that I am healthy before starting work. Unfortunately, when 'The Swordsman' was released in Korea, I really wanted to go out and chat with the audience to share my experience, but we couldn’t. I hope to return to the normal status soon and share the enthusiasm of my work with the audience."

Translated by Prettysup from : https://www.zaobao.com.sg/news/entertainment/story20201014-1092583

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

At The Movies: South Korean film The Swordsman a fun, sincere ode to Asian sword flicks

nz_theswordsman_141084.jpg?itok=SYkSGLF9

Swordsman is a fun, sincere ode to sword flicks of Asian cinema, in particular Japanese movies about wandering samurai.

THE SWORDSMAN

You cannot be blamed if you lose track of who's who in this Korean martial arts flick that packs in as much historical texture as it does action.

In its compact 101-minute running time, a head-spinning array of supporting characters are introduced, including village healers, innkeepers, feudal lords and their families. That is woven into a time-jumping, flashback-driven plot that takes in Qing-versus-Ming dynastic struggles in China and its knock-on effects on Korea.

Keeping it all straight - or at least, making an attempt to do so - is Choi Jae-hoon, who makes his debut as a director of a feature film (though he might have a director credit for a previous unreleased picture, according to the hancinema.net, a website which tracks Korean films).

That this movie was overseen by its own writer might explain the undisciplined plot, but that mistake can be forgiven because the end result is a fun, sincere ode to sword flicks of Asian cinema, in particular Japanese movies about wandering samurai (often with a disability which never seems to diminish their ability to fight) or lone warriors shielding a child from imperial malice.

The film opens in flashback to a showdown at the royal palace involving the taciturn warrior Tae-yul (screen heart-throb Jang Hyuk). Its outcome forces him out of aristocratic circles and into a village where he lives in obscurity with his daughter Tae-ok (Kim Hyeon-soo), whom he keeps in the dark about his origins.

The loving child does what she can to slow down her father's encroaching blindness. Enter Kurutai (Indonesian actor Joe Taslim), a Manchu from China. Like a boss's son who lords over employees, the bully is related to the powerful Qing dynasty and makes a living enslaving Koreans.

Kurutai is cruel, but that does not mean he is a brute. Like a jaded gunslinger from the Old West, he is tired of fighting boys who think they have studied the blade and wants to test himself against a real master.

As the movie winds its way to the inevitable battle between the Manchu and the man from nowhere, Tae-yul keeps his steel slick with the blood with the lesser henchmen. The duels are more elegant than brutal and nowhere as gory as, say, the Marvel superhero movie Logan (2017), which features the head-lopping Wolverine played by Hugh Jackman.

Standing in contrast to the realism in sword stunts and political intrigue is the cringe-inducing adolescent wackiness going on in the Manchu camp. Picture 1960s James Bond sex kittens, Japanese ninjas and villains sprawled on crushed velvet cushions. The cheesiness, however, adds to the film's charm.

https://www.straitstimes.com/life/entertainment/at-the-movies-south-korean-film-the-swordsman-a-fun-sincere-ode-to-asian-sword

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Swordfighting without looking is hard, says South Korean actor Jang Hyuk

nz_swordsman_141074.jpg?itok=iMQKDd7A&ti

SINGAPORE - South Korean actor Jang Hyuk, known for his roles in the romance series You Are My Destiny (2014) and period drama Chuno (2010) had to call on a new set of reflexes to play the title role in his new film, The Swordsman.

His character Tae-yul, a mysterious martial artist, is losing his vision. "How do you train for that?" says the 43-year-old actor, who spoke to the press from Singapore and Indonesia at a virtual conference on Monday (Oct 12).

The period drama is about a lone fighter whose daughter is kidnapped, drawing him into battle with some of the best pugilists from China. It opens on Thursday (Oct 15) in cinemas.

"Of course the swordsmanship is important, but what's more important is giving hints about the lengths he would go to save his daughter," says Jang from his home in Seoul.

First, he trained himself to fight without seeing, by teaching his body not to reflexively look at what he was striking or blocking.

He eventually settled on a way to convey rage and a thirst for revenge, keeping in mind that his character could not see who was looking at him.

"I simplified my facial expressions and tried to be subtle in delivering them," says Jang, speaking through and English translator.

He still does much of his own fight scenes rather than use a stunt person.

"The stunts and action are part of what an actor should be able to perform - they are part of his role. Daily physical training is part of (what I do)," he says.

Jang says he is happy to be back at work in South Korea, where film locations are regulated by pandemic guidelines such as temperature checks, disinfection and social distancing.

According to Korean news reports, filming for The Swordsman completed in 2017, but financial woes delayed post-production.

The movie was finally released last month (September) in South Korea without the usual media fanfare that surrounds premieres.

"Unfortunately, I wasn't able to meet people and talk about the movie because we had to follow government guidelines," he says, adding that he wishes the film industry, including cinemas, would go back to the "golden days" before the pandemic.

Indonesia actor Joe Taslim, who plays villain Kurutai in The Swordsman, says he hopes fans in his home country will see the movie later this month (October), after the planned reopening of cinemas there.

The 39-year-old actor, who spoke at the virtual conference from Jakarta, was a member of the national judo team and broke through the film industry with Indonesian action movie The Raid (2011) before appearing in Hollywood productions such as Fast & Furious 6 (2013). He can now be in the HBO martial arts series Warrior (2019 to present), which is in its second season.

Known for his abilities with his fists and kicks, Taslim had to pick up the new skill of sword fighting from fight coordinators for The Swordsman. But that was not the hardest part of the production, says Taslim, who spoke in English.

His character is a relative of the Ching emperor, who is Manchurian. As a slave trader, Kurutai, who bullies his way through Joseon-era Korea, then subordinate to Chinese rule, speaks Korean with locals and the Manchu language with his band of fighters.

"The hardest challenge of my life as an actor was playing a character who speaks two languages I don't speak," Taslim says.

He spent three months in South Korea for the production, during which he was trained in the two languages daily.

He hopes the global popularity of Korean films, television shows and music will lead to more multi-national movies like the Swordsman. For now, on-Koreans appearing in Korean productions remain a "rare" phenomenon.

"But it's a good start. I hope it opens opportunities for more Indonesians, Thais, Vietnamese - people from South-east Asian cinema," he says.

The Swordsman opens in cinemas on Thursday (Oct 15).

https://www.straitstimes.com/life/entertainment/swordfighting-without-looking-is-hard-says-south-korean-actor-jang-hyuk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 10/11/2020 at 4:25 PM, Prettysup said:

HIFF40 (40th Hawaii International Film Festival) presented by Halekulani (November 5-29) announces film lineup and hybrid event with select cinema screenings & online streaming available nationwide

THE SWORDSMAN

AVAILABLE ONLINE NOV 5 - 15 | USA

Thank you so so much for this! I wouldn't have known that it's possible to watch it online without your update. Yay! So excited now :heart:

• Like 3