[Taiwanese BL Drama 2017] HIStory Series (My Hero, 離我遠一點, 著魔)

Cedric Ong

2 hours ago, Cedric Ong said:

I remember for 1st series....one article mention for some themes eg BL, hard to get grants from govt or media ministry.

Those pics with kid is for the 1st story...about a younger guy in love with an older guy who was previously married with a kid. So perhaps besides the age gap, also about the kid accepting him.

To me, BL stories got 2 types....one is exploring the dilemma over being homo and facing social and family objections. The other type is like the homo part is not the focus...instead they will treat it as any straight relationship and face the same issues like big age gap or got a child...or maybe rich and poor etc.

2nd story is about a group of teens with a volleyball theme.

The country is Taiwan right? I heard the government gave freedom to LGBT... 

Majority of BL stories consist objection in it, usually just in fantasy novels they were treat as straight with usual problems. 

2nd story not giving me much appeal because I had seen much teens BL but few has good impressions. 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, meifang89 said:

The country is Taiwan right? I heard the government gave freedom to LGBT... 

Majority of BL stories consist objection in it, usually just in fantasy novels they were treat as straight with usual problems. 

2nd story not giving me much appeal because I had seen much teens BL but few has good impressions. 

It is taiwan....but think still got some stigma. 

About the issues in BL drama or films...perhaps more like which is the focus...the objections or normal relationship issues...not mutually exclusive.

Btw sometimes i browse this facebook...which has trailers and previews of BL dramas and movies. Not restricted to taiwan. 

https://m.facebook.com/Mundo.BL.BoysLove/

• 3 weeks later...

Some info and pics for HiStory season 2 - 2nd story 越界 (loosely translated as Overstep the Boundary)....theme is young volleyball players.

https://www.webackers.com/Proposal/ProgressDetail/1162?progressId=19B41646-A6CF-447B-B113-0E86B0385F2C

As mentioned they are planning to debut in mid Jan 2018 but no date yet. There will be a preview session in taiwan.

Btw about Deep Blue and Moonlight....i only watch abit here and there. Didn't hook up my interest that much. The 2 leads are supposed to become a couple....but they each got other partner also....in this way, i can't help pity the supporting chars esp Ping Jun.

26 minutes ago, Cedric Ong said:

Btw about Deep Blue and Moonlight....i only watch abit here and there. Didn't hook up my interest that much. The 2 leads are supposed to become a couple....but they each got other partner also....in this way, i can't help pity the supporting chars esp Ping Jun.

DBM is rare...( I think ) because here is a series where the lead and supporting characters are gay.  There isn't any of the " I'll be gay for you " two str8 guys falling in love and don't know what to do...and the best  part is there is no  girl friend or random woman trying to break them up...their issues...are relationship issues...of course there are the parents...but there are always the parents.  The series has been intense to say the least, but very well written, directed, and produced. Editing has been good and they don't waste a lot of time on scenes that just take up time or useless dialog... it's very reality based.

Only two episodes left...so maybe down the road you give it a go...LOL

• 2 weeks later...

The 2nd season of HIStory with only 2 stories debuts on 30 Jan tue.

Teaser with eng subs.

The 1st story 是非 translated as Right and Wrong...is romance btw an older guy (divorcee with a daughter) and a younger guy. Think from the teaser, the older guy is a teacher while the younger one is a student. Mmm....a controversial topic....

26168379_1362146740561932_80098490302971

The 2nd story debuts on 6 Mar. 

越界 loosely translated as Crossing the Line.....is about some teens including delinquents becoming volleyball players....and discovering special feelings for each other. In the poster, the "Line" is referenced by the net height of 2.4m. Think there are 4 chars.

26166678_1362146670561939_17909033418558

My guess is 4 episodes each. No other details eg time and duration known yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest trailer for HIStory 2 - Right or Wrong 是非

No eng sub yet. So far 2 ep.

Ep 1

https://www.chocotv.com.tw/drama/9404/eps/1

Ep 2 

https://www.chocotv.com.tw/drama/9404/eps/2

Pic montage for story 2 Boundary Crossing 越界 (debuts in early mar)

27356348_1386553501454589_10621727261097

Official instagram :

https://www.instagram.com/history_chocotv/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2018 at 11:03 AM, deltos said:

Anyone know how old Hunt is ?

Who is Hunt?

Just read that there'll be a special episode of Dark Blue & Moonlight on 27 Feb 10pm...probably some after-story for the 2 main chars. For me, i don't quite like this drama so will skip this.

For History2 RIght or Wrong....the last ep 8 is quite hot and daring. Anyway it's a Happy Ending....think Taiwan is more open with this.

Some parts got no audio....same for a few clips at the same parts....is it some copyright issue? mmm.

I think compared to History1 which got 4 episodes for each story, History2 got 8 episodes so the storyline is abit more detailed. 

1 hour ago, Cedric Ong said:

Who is Hunt?

Just read that there'll be a special episode of Dark Blue & Moonlight on 27 Feb 10pm...probably some after-story for the 2 main chars. For me, i don't quite like this drama so will skip this.

For History2 RIght or Wrong....the last ep 8 is quite hot and daring. Anyway it's a Happy Ending....think Taiwan is more open with this.

Some parts got no audio....same for a few clips at the same parts....is it some copyright issue? mmm.

I think compared to History1 which got 4 episodes for each story, History2 got 8 episodes so the storyline is abit more detailed. 

Hunt plays Fei Sheng Zhe ..in Right or Wrong
I actually really like DBM..it was fresh, original, thought-provoking and centered around the lives of 4 actually gay guys - no "got gay for you" trope; which for me was nice to see. I'm looking forward to the special epi...

Adam Uni translated the lIve stream interview from last week too

2 hours ago, deltos said:

Hunt plays Fei Sheng Zhe ..in Right or Wrong
I actually really like DBM..it was fresh, original, thought-provoking and centered around the lives of 4 actually gay guys - no "got gay for you" trope; which for me was nice to see. I'm looking forward to the special epi...

For me, i don't like DBM bcos i pity the supporting char who sort of got sacrificed in the end....just b'cos the 2 leads are meant to be...well...the official couple. Anyway, everyone different preference.

Ok back to Hunt...or Zhang Xing, there's no official info on him. What i know is the older guy Steven Chiang is 35yo, born in 1982.

https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/江常輝

Then an article on History2 mentioned (2nd line in article) that Hunt is 9 years younger than Steven....so should be around 26yo.

http://www.nextmag.com.tw/realtimenews/news/381226

The article in summary said the age difference is slightly embarrassing...but the 2 actors tried their best to develop the intimate feeling. Steven said he felt like an lustful uncle. After discussion with director, their intimate scenes are restricted to kisses (not wet kiss) and minimal upper body contact....so i guess that's why they didn't remove pants for the bedscene. Think History1 Obsessed is still more "daring".

On 2/24/2018 at 10:03 AM, deltos said:

Anyone know how old Hunt is ?

I read somewhere Hunt born in 1990 (interview maybe), not sure though... :mellow:

For me season 2 is better than season 1 :wub:

Hey all.

Sheesh, it's been eons since I logged on to the Soompi forums.

Just want to share with all of you that you should go to Adam Uni's channel on YouTube to watch the show. So far, Adam Uni's translations are not only fast (he usually uploads within a few hours after the broadcast) but his translations are also much more accurate than the rest. You can watch entire episodes there for both Seasons 1 and 2.

Anyway, I have watched all of Seasons 1 and the currently running Season 2, and I think they are both great, albeit for different reasons. For Season 1. I love how compact the stories were and yet there was enough tension and chemistry between the lead actors. What I also liked about Season 1 was the fact that the female characters were used as catalysts instead of being the main antagonist as often used in Thai BL shows. The first story had the dead girlfriend inadvertently pushing Ying Xiong to come to terms with his true feelings for En Ren, the second literally made Ah He and Cheng Qing come together to examine their feelings for each other, and the last one had the girl just outwardly expose Jing Teng's ruse to Yi Chen, causing the former to finally admit that he does everything out of pure love to the latter. The only issue I had with Season 1, aside from the stories being too short, was that there was not enough character back stories or development for that matter.

As for Season 2, I liked that there is now a bit of backstory to the characters which explain why they are the way they are. That's why you know why Yi Jie seems like he has lost any motivation in life when we first saw him and how Sheng Je seems to always second-guess himself when he falls in love with someone. Also, for at least the first story in Season 2, you will see some elements of LGBT issues being addressed, although very subtly, such as homophobic bullying and peer pressure, societal acceptance, etc. The second story will be back to the normal routine of how most BL dramas are like.

All in all, History seems pretty good as a gay series but of course, it would be even better if there is some way they can also address some of the LGBT issues in such stories, in which I think Red Balloons does a slightly better job there. (Yes, you guys should watch Red Balloons too.). I have yet to watch Dark Blue and Moonlight, so, I will get around to that when I have the time.

Hope to continue the discussion for the History Series here too. :-)

Archived